Millennials, Is This You?

2»

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    First of all I don't get the whole millennial thing because people born in 1981 and people born in 1997 (I think that's the millennial gap) grew up having very different lifestyles. I was born in '86 and think the kids of '97 are MUCH different than my age group.

Anyway, since I'm technically a millennial, I can do all but 5 things on that list.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Hobbes said:

Writing in cursive? How about print? Not long ago, two of my cousins sent me a handwritten card. One is in high school, the other in college. Both have the penmanship of a toddler. Might as well have been scribbled in crayon. It was pitiful.

often is your cousin?
    ELITIST FUK
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    SD48277 said:

Hobbes said:

Writing in cursive? How about print? Not long ago, two of my cousins sent me a handwritten card. One is in high school, the other in college. Both have the penmanship of a toddler. Might as well have been scribbled in crayon. It was pitiful.

often is your cousin?
    :rofl:
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    Hobbes said:

Another one. Writing a check. I asked a millennial at work to finish writing out a check once the delivery guy came. I'd already filled most of it out, signed it, etc. Just needed the total. She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Total confusion.

Who writes checks anymore??

Im a late baby boomer and I dont have a check book or write checks anymore. If I need a check I go to the bank and get one.

Im shocked if Im in a store and see someone using a check. Sooooo old school
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626

Hobbes said:

Another one. Writing a check. I asked a millennial at work to finish writing out a check once the delivery guy came. I'd already filled most of it out, signed it, etc. Just needed the total. She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Total confusion.

Im a late baby boomer and I dont have a check book or write checks anymore. If I need a check I go to the bank and get one.

We often get one or two checks a day because we generally give a little discount for cash or check rather than pay the credit card company. We figure checks are good as cash and book people hardly ever write bad checks. We've spend more on credit card fees in a month than have lost in bad checks in total in 33 years!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

Hobbes said:

It drives me fucking nuts when we try to order lunch at work and someone yells out "It has to be a place that takes checks." Go get some cash from the ATM, ya fucks!

The only thing I actually need a check for is rent, and I just use my bank's online billpay and have it automatically mailed to my landlord.

That said, I still know how to write one.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited July 2016
    Hobbes said:

Counting change/mental math. Just tonight, I handed a young checkout girl $10.25. My total was $7.25. It took the longest time to get my change back. She even got out a pad and pencil to do the math. Um, isn't the answer right there on the screen? The kicker is, after I gave her a $10 bill, she asked if I had a quarter to make the math easier.

The thing about this is.... does it matter? Think of it this way: if you asked anyone from before the days of decent typewriters if they'd like to be able to write 80+ words a minute on a 1.5 pound machine that they can carry with them everywhere they go, they'd all probably think that sounded fucking fantastic. Now, I do absolutely appreciate cursive as a nice looking way to write, and I certainly grew up using it obviously .... but seriously, is it really necessary anymore, besides as kind of a novelty act or something that's nice in greeting cards? I don't really blame young people now for not being able to write cursive, or for being bad at printing. Why should they be good at something that they never have to do? We can't just keep teaching kids all these skills that technology has rendered basically useless just because we are nostalgic for the days when everything was harder and took way longer.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Hobbes said:

I still write my rent cheques every month. They do have a direct payment option, but I declined it because, frankly, I don't trust property management companies at all. I'm not about to hand over my banking info to those scumbags.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    PJ_Soul said:

Hobbes said:

Counting change/mental math. Just tonight, I handed a young checkout girl $10.25. My total was $7.25. It took the longest time to get my change back. She even got out a pad and pencil to do the math. Um, isn't the answer right there on the screen? The kicker is, after I gave her a $10 bill, she asked if I had a quarter to make the math easier.

The thing about this is.... does it matter? Think of it this way: if you asked anyone from before the days of decent typewriters if they'd like to be able to write 80+ words a minute on a 1.5 pound machine that they can carry with them everywhere they go, they'd all probably think that sounded fucking fantastic. Now, I do absolutely appreciate cursive as a nice looking way to write, and I certainly grew up using it obviously .... but seriously, is it really necessary anymore, besides as kind of a novelty act or something that's nice in greeting cards? I don't really blame young people now for not being able to write cursive, or for being bad at printing. Why should they be good at something that they never have to do? We can't just keep teaching kids all these skills that technology has rendered basically useless just because we are nostalgic for the days when everything was harder and took way longer.
    Not sure why you singled out my post. Not that it matters. Your question could be applied to any of those things on the original list or the whole point of this thread. Does any of it matter?
    edited July 2016
    Hobbes said:

PJ_Soul said:

Hobbes said:

Not sure why you singled out my post. Not that it matters. Your question could be applied to any of those things on the original list or the whole point of this thread. Does any of it matter?
    I just quoted the first post I happened to see that mentioned millennials not being able to write in cursive.
    I would argue that some definitely matters a lot more than others, for various reasons. The main reason is that there is a replacement for cursive (typing). There isn't a replacement for a lot of those other things (and for some there are... I.e. Google Maps. I will never ever use a paper map again).
    Does any of it matter? I don't know. Probably not. I think most of the stuff about "millennials can't do this and that" stuff is really just the latest version of the same thing that is said by every single generation since the beginning of time... and somehow, society marches on. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    ^^^ Ah, hell no! You ever tried to fold one of those things? :anguished: