Millennials, Is This You?

Please say it ain't so!

http://www.naturalnews.com/054708_millennials_survival_skills_real_world.html

40 shockingly simple skills that today's pathetic Millennials have no idea how to do
#1) Plant a seed in dirt and grow an edible plant.

#2) Change a bicycle tire.

#3) Sharpen a pencil.

#4) Identify the name of any tree or bird in the real world.

#5) Check the oil level in any engine.

#6) Name a single star in the night sky.

#7) Change a blown fuse in anything (or even reset a circuit breaker).

#8) Drive a stick shift. (Many don't even know what "stick shift" means.)

#9) Navigate using a printed map without using GPS.

#10) Strike a punching bag without injuring their frail, fragile wrists.

#11) Repair a broken garden hose without throwing it away and buying a new hose.

#12) Stop bleeding with a tourniquet.

#13) Cut a piece of wood in a straight line using a hand saw.

#14) Carry a 50 lb. bag of animal feed on their shoulder for 50 meters.

#15) Cook a real meal that isn't "instant" or microwaveable.

#16) Start a camp fire, even with a lighter.

#17) Sharpen a knife, even using a knife sharpener.

#18) Build a shelter in the forest by using only forest materials.

#19) Use a car jack without ripping the bumper off the vehicle.

#20) Chop wood for a wood stove.

#21) Locate and reset the ground fault tolerant button on an electrical outlet to restore power to the outlets.

#22) Dry clothes on a clothesline.

#23) Strip a copper wire.

#24) Securely tie a rope to anything at all.

#25) Calculate a 15% waiter tip in their heads.

#26) Make a broken bone splint out of anything at all.

And for advanced skills, Millennials have absolutely no idea how to do any of the following:

#27) Catch a fish.

#28) Clean a pistol.

#29) Swap out the hydraulic hose on a piece of farm equipment.

#30) Intelligently read any food label.

#31) Purify water using a plastic bottle and sunlight.

#32) Make a water filter out of charcoal and sand.

#33) Fold a paper airplane.

#34) Make an emergency funnel out of aluminum foil.

#35) Chop down a dead tree with an axe.

#36) Read a compass.

#37) Cut a stuck seatbelt to escape a burning vehicle.

#38) Paddle a canoe in any intended direction at all.

#39) Open any can of food without using electricity.

#40) Siphon fuel from the gas tank of an abandoned car.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I am not a millennial, but I can tell you that I cannot #2 and #9. I should be very embarrassed about #9.

I haven't had to #11 because we bought a really good one.

I wouldn't trust my skills with #19, but I know that you put that on the indentation in the frame and not on the bumper. :nuh_uh:

I have never held a #28 and do not own one, so skills with that will never be.

I don't live on a farm and never will, so #29 wouldn't happen either.

Because I've always enjoyed the potable variety, I have never had to do #30 or #31, but I certainly wouldn't be against learning how to.

And . . . I've never #40'd. Eww. That one is one where I will pass.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I can't do #14.

(folding a paper airplane or using a bloody can opener is considered advanced?!)
  • FrankieGFrankieG Posts: 9,100
    I am a millennial.

The ones I can't do/don't know how to do:
    #8) Drive a stick shift.
    #32) Make a water filter out of charcoal and sand.

I just did #16 this past weekend! 1 match, only materials found outside (ie. no lighter fluid/no paper)
    #25 is not necessary, I always tip >20%, which is easier math
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    Most of these are really basic but there are a few that are iffy:

#31. Didn't know that one but apparently just put water in bottle and leave in sun for several hours. Not sure that would kill giardia but perhaps.

#40. Never done it. The one time I watched someone siphon gas he swallowed some of it. Not getting in your mouth would be the trick. Would only do this under extreme need to get away from somewhere.

But even those are doable. Most of these are very simple. I'm a bit dubious about the claim that most millennials can't do them (thus my, "say it ain't so!").
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    It's extremely difficult to even FIND a new vehicle with a manual transmission these days.

It's extremely difficult to even FIND a new vehicle with a manual transmission these days.

Pretty much true. I like my current vehicle but I miss having a stick shift.

Another one to add to the list: parallel parking. California required the ability to parallel park in order to gain one's driver's license. No longer. I work downtown on Main St. and everyday watch people torque their front ends running up and back down the sharp curb to park because they don't know how to parallel park.

Are we becoming an inept, unskilled nation?

Say it ain't so!

brianlux said:

Another one to add to the list: parallel parking. California required the ability to parallel park in order to gain one's driver's license. No longer. I work downtown on Main St. and everyday watch people torque their front ends running up and back down the sharp curb to park because they don't know how to parallel park.

Say it ain't so!
    Same here on the bolded part. But hey! You don't need that skill anymore, as the car will "think" for you and do it on its own. Same for braking, for backing up. Shit, I don't even like using cruise control. I will control my own cruising, dammit.

More and more often, I find myself quoting Grievance - progress laced with ramifications!

And my precious Beatles - think for yourself.

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Say it ain't so!
    Same here on the bolded part. But hey! You don't need that skill anymore, as the car will "think" for you and do it on its own. Same for braking, for backing up. Shit, I don't even like using cruise control. I will control my own cruising, dammit.

More and more often, I find myself quoting Grievance - progress laced with ramifications!

And my precious Beatles - think for yourself.

Yeah, they've even made a self-driving car now. Even if I lost my sight or for some other reason could no longer drive I would rather have a friend or relative behind the wheel!

Happy cruising, Hedo!

We had to have my husband's manual shift Yaris driven up from Cincinnati. That was what he wanted. The dealer searched. 4 hours and 45 minutes away. He's got it though!
    Thus the reason we don't hear lyrics like this much anymore:

"She's got a competition clutch
    And a four-on-the-floor"

:smile:

• I like the looks on a persons face when I ask "Can you drive a stickshift" ? image
    Other than that I can do all on the list.

I like the looks on a persons face when I ask "Can you drive a stickshift" ? image

Here ya go, make your list complete!

And if you don't want to learn, in any case, check out at least a minute or two of the video. Pretty cool stuff, :lol:

• brianlux said:

I like the looks on a persons face when I ask "Can you drive a stickshift" ? image

And if you don't want to learn, in any case, check out at least a minute or two of the video. Pretty cool stuff, :lol:
    No.
    I am saying that I can drive a stickshift and know exactly what it means.
    The people I say it to nowadays don't.

brianlux said:

No.
    I am saying that I can drive a stickshift and know exactly what it means.
    The people I say it to nowadays don't.
    Ah, your earlier comment sounded like you couldn't.

I can't - my coordination is severely lacking (which is why I dance like Elaine Benes).
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    I use to be good at #33.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    #37 ( Cut a stuck seatbelt to escape a burning vehicle) brings up a good safety measure. Keeping a sharp jack knife in the console or glove box is a good idea. Also, one of those devices that you can use to break out a car window (not easily done these days. One time a kid punched my drivers side window as hard as he could twice and nothing happened... to the window that is. Not sure how his hand fared.) That's especially useful if you drive off the road into a body of water with windows up and your electrical system goes kaput.

I had to go to the dealer for a warranty repair on my RAV. I called in advance, talked to a salesman and told him that I wanted to take their manual shift Yaris for a test drive since it was what my husband was looking to purchase. (It wasn't the model he wanted and I wouldn't have purchased a car from them anyhow.) We go to get into the car, then he starts spouting statistics of how many women drive manual cars. (The stats were pretty low.) I got in, did just fine and surprised him. I think that he figured that I wouldn't get the teeny car out of the parking space. Asshole.
    Oops. I think that I forgot that I said the word which we cannot say. I'm not editing it out, though. We'll just use SD's button legal version and say "donkey hole." :smiley:
    deadendp said:

Oops. I think that I forgot that I said the word which we cannot say. I'm not editing it out, though. We'll just use SD's button legal version and say "donkey hole." :smiley:

Yar!!

• InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623
    Apparently I'm "Generation Catalano" since I'm too young for X but too old for Y.

I lean more to X when it comes to pop culture. Fuck the Disneyfication of media by the millennials.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    How can you not know how to sharpen a pencil??? Even my 9 year old g/d can do that.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Apparently I'm "Generation Catalano" since I'm too young for X but too old for Y.

I lean more to X when it comes to pop culture. Fuck the Disneyfication of media by the millennials.

That dreamy Catalano boy?

How can you not know how to sharpen a pencil??? Even my 9 year old g/d can do that.

Teeth that aren't sharp enough?

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2016
    Nice thread, Brianlux !
    Number, 28, 29, 31 and 34, no idea about them, and a millennial was a tricky word I had no idea about :)
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    But millennials can grow a sweet-ass beard.
    Hobbes said:

Haha!
    Annafalk said:

Nice thread, Brianlux !
    Number, 28, 29, 31 and 34, no idea about them, and a millennial was a tricky word I had no idea about :)

Interesting stuff, for sure Anna. I think the author pushed the point a little but it's hard to argue against the notion that many basic skills are going bye bye. And it's not just millennials. Generally those of us who are boomers are less skilled than the average G.I. generation man or woman.

Some other examples:

Taking #15 a little further: Cooking without a recipe.

Writing in cursive.

Chasing wood or metal. Not only a lost skill, but a term that most have not heard of. I used to know a highly skilled chaser. I can't do that!

Navigating by stars, sun, landscape feature or animal movement.

Identifying wild edible plants.

Doing basic math mentally.

Counting back change without looking at a register read out.

Writing in cursive? How about print? Not long ago, two of my cousins sent me a handwritten card. One is in high school, the other in college. Both have the penmanship of a toddler. Might as well have been scribbled in crayon. It was pitiful.

Counting change/mental math. Just tonight, I handed a young checkout girl $10.25. My total was $7.25. It took the longest time to get my change back. She even got out a pad and pencil to do the math. Um, isn't the answer right there on the screen? The kicker is, after I gave her a $10 bill, she asked if I had a quarter to make the math easier.
    Another one. Writing a check. I asked a millennial at work to finish writing out a check once the delivery guy came. I'd already filled most of it out, signed it, etc. Just needed the total. She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Total confusion.
    Hobbes said:

Writing in cursive? How about print? Not long ago, two of my cousins sent me a handwritten card. One is in high school, the other in college. Both have the penmanship of a toddler. Might as well have been scribbled in crayon. It was pitiful.

Counting change/mental math. Just tonight, I handed a young checkout girl $10.25. My total was $7.25. It took the longest time to get my change back. She even got out a pad and pencil to do the math. Um, isn't the answer right there on the screen? The kicker is, after I gave her a $10 bill, she asked if I had a quarter to make the math easier.

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited July 2016
    brianlux said:

Hobbes said:

Haha!
    Annafalk said:

Nice thread, Brianlux !

Interesting stuff, for sure Anna. I think the author pushed the point a little but it's hard to argue against the notion that many basic skills are going bye bye. And it's not just millennials. Generally those of us who are boomers are less skilled than the average G.I. generation man or woman.

Some other examples:

Taking #15 a little further: Cooking without a recipe.

Writing in cursive.

Chasing wood or metal. Not only a lost skill, but a term that most have not heard of. I used to know a highly skilled chaser. I can't do that!

Navigating by stars, sun, landscape feature or animal movement.

Identifying wild edible plants.

Doing basic math mentally.

Counting back change without looking at a register read out.

It's too bad that basic skills are disappearing, my grand mother for example was very good at making her own clothes and knitting. I can't even knit a pair of socks sadly.
    Hobbes said:

Another one. Writing a check. I asked a millennial at work to finish writing out a check once the delivery guy came. I'd already filled most of it out, signed it, etc. Just needed the total. She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Total confusion.

This is interesting observations, Hobbes !
    Post edited by Annafalk on