W.M.A. is more relevant than ever!

2»

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177

Seattle is another city with a police problem.

Not so much anymore. They went through Federal DOJ mandated reforms, retraining, different policies, old guard chiefs and commanders retired/fired. New leadership. New mayor. Seattle has cleaned up the police force considerably over the past several years. There will always be bad apples, but police abuse is definitely less institutionalized than it once was.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    pjman75 said:

I was just thinking a similar thing this morning while driving to work; that Vs. as a whole really is sadly so poignant and spot on these days. Props on the post Hank.

that is why Vs is my favorite album, I know it may have been one of their least fun to make, but every song is still relevant, and the lyrics are really great
  • I wouldnt want to be a cop these days. Every piece of dogshit has a gun, and every other piece of dogshit is not scared to waive it at someone. If you have a gun on you and you get shot by a cop....I'm not automatically blaming the cop.
    Not saying there isn't a problem -- but the larger problem is people walking around with guns and being cleared the govt to do it.
    Multiple cops have been shot in the philly area this year. Fucked up stuff. If I were a cop I would shoot first and ask questions later if I thought it was a situation where I was at risk,
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    jeffbr said:

Not so much anymore. They went through Federal DOJ mandated reforms, retraining, different policies, old guard chiefs and commanders retired/fired. New leadership. New mayor. Seattle has cleaned up the police force considerably over the past several years. There will always be bad apples, but police abuse is definitely less institutionalized than it once was.
    exactly, if you poll people long time Seattle residents, overwhelmingly they will tell you that it is a much safer city that it once was. Once you take the smell of marijuana as probable cause out of the equation, you reduce the number of ridiculous stops dramtically, plus everyone knows pot makes you far less violent
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    pjman75 said:

I was just thinking a similar thing this morning while driving to work; that Vs. as a whole really is sadly so poignant and spot on these days. Props on the post Hank.

Same here, actually the first song I heard today on PJ radio was WMA, and found myself thinking that PJ's music is sending such a powerful message, especially with how bad our country is looking now. And to think that a lot of these songs were written about 25 years ago, and how strong the message is now more than ever. Awesome post Hank, as usually most of your posts are spot on.
  • jeffbr said:

exactly, if you poll people long time Seattle residents, overwhelmingly they will tell you that it is a much safer city that it once was. Once you take the smell of marijuana as probable cause out of the equation, you reduce the number of ridiculous stops dramtically, plus everyone knows pot makes you far less violent
    Is it legal to get high while driving? Wouldn't this still be probable cause?
    Everyone knows stoned people drive like crap.
    https://youtu.be/Jb-cAJRZrlA
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    RIP to the Dallas cops and to the guy in Minnesota

Most cops are good people. There will always be bad eggs tho. Same goes for every community and every race. You cant judge people based off of the bad ones.
    Hobbes said:

Really, this thread should be about the music.

I am pretty positive this kind of discussion Eddie was hoping to generate when he wrote the song, may have taken 23 years longer than he had hoped for, and maybe had we had real discussions about this back then as a society, than maybe a whole lot of lives could have been saved.

RIP to the Dallas cops and to the guy in Minnesota

Most cops are good people. There will always be bad eggs tho. Same goes for every community and every race. You cant judge people based off of the bad ones.

If you are a good cop and follow the Thin Blue Line and turn your back to wrongdoings, you become a bad cop through your own Indifference.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,444

jeffbr said:

yea but that has nothing to do with WMA. Don't blame the cops in other cities for doing their jobs. Pot is illegal in every city but Seattle and Denver (outside of some medical marijuana) so the smell is probable cause in most cities.
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931

I wouldnt want to be a cop these days. Every piece of dogshit has a gun, and every other piece of dogshit is not scared to waive it at someone. If you have a gun on you and you get shot by a cop....I'm not automatically blaming the cop.
    Not saying there isn't a problem -- but the larger problem is people walking around with guns and being cleared the govt to do it.
    Multiple cops have been shot in the philly area this year. Fucked up stuff. If I were a cop I would shoot first and ask questions later if I thought it was a situation where I was at risk,

Thanks for going into another line of work. :) There are good officers; there are great officers. But an officer that shoots first is more afraid than smart, more afraid than prepared. Maybe they should be trained better or recruited from different neighborhoods.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    choop said:

Hobbes said:

What are the stats for Seattle?

a lot less than there were before we fully legalized marijuana, shootings have dropped dramtically
    i imagine there is no stats on the correlation of legalized weed and shootings, what a silly point to make. additionally, Seattle and Portland have to be the most gentrified cities in the U.S. - they are super white places.
    It's funny you say that because where I live (Vancouver Island, BC) it's even whiter than anywhere I've been in the US, including Washington/Oregon. Only place I've been too Whiter than here is Newfoundland.

Or maybe it's a positive thing and I simply don't notice anymore.

jeffbr said:

Is it legal to get high while driving? Wouldn't this still be probable cause?
    https://youtu.be/Jb-cAJRZrlA
    no not legal to drive here under the influence, but people driving while using their cellphones is a far greater concern and cause of accidents here
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790

jeffbr said:

Yeah, but it makes the road BJ so much better.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    :

jeffbr said:

Yeah, but it makes the road BJ so much better.
    :rofl:
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    yeah, i'm gonna need you guys to focus on the song lyrics.

thanks,
    the management
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

Hobbes said:

I am pretty positive this kind of discussion Eddie was hoping to generate when he wrote the song, may have taken 23 years longer than he had hoped for, and maybe had we had real discussions about this back then as a society, than maybe a whole lot of lives could have been saved.
    Wait - this song, its lyrics and meaning haven't been discussed until now?

Ani, I got rear-ended years ago by a road-BJ'ing couple :giggle:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited July 2016
    It's real- "Road Head, You can turn up Dead"
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

yeah, i'm gonna need you guys to focus on the song lyrics.

thanks,
    the management

:rofl:
    hedonist said:

Hobbes said:

The World According To Garp
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    hedonist said:

Hobbes said:

I assume rear-ended is a euphemism.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,837

hedonist said:

Hobbes said:

I assume rear-ended is a euphemism.
    Of course you do.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2016

As long as the thin blue line exists in concert with racism, then Dallas is just the tip of the iceberg. I do not condone the killing of the officers in Dallas, but I also don't condone the straight up executions of hundreds of unarmed civilians the past few years by American law enforcement officers. There can only be so much inequity before the breaking point is reached.

Stats would b helpful. Pretty sure hundreds of unarmed civilians haven't been executed in the past few years. No need to b inflammatory but if u are going to b please back it up. Or do what u normally do and type in bold and b aggressive.

Also if u want to talk about the lyrics to WMA, great. Let's do it. Great song. But u don't mention the lyrics
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • KatKat Posts: 4,845
    The Words and Communication forum is for lyric discussion. We have A Moving Train for political/news topics. There are threads in each on this topic....LYRICS and NEWS, not BJs. Please use those thraeds. Thank you.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.