W.M.A. is more relevant than ever!

As long as the thin blue line exists in concert with racism, then Dallas is just the tip of the iceberg. I do not condone the killing of the officers in Dallas, but I also don't condone the straight up executions of hundreds of unarmed civilians the past few years by American law enforcement officers. There can only be so much inequity before the breaking point is reached.

Comments

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    I mentioned W.M.A last night to my wife while we were watching the news. Timeless theme unfortunately.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    Yeah we're on the cusp like the 1992 L.A. Riots but on a national level. It's sad because it's such a small percentage of police officers that do this sort of thing. But when people are dying unjustly, with little accountability given to the killer, people are going to be angry.

That cop in Minnesota is screwed though. They're going to make an example out of him.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • wgwg Posts: 411
    mr bungle said:

I mentioned W.M.A last night to my wife while we were watching the news. Timeless theme unfortunately.

+1
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,444
    ugh. yea lets focus on the incredible small % of black men killed by cops instead of the almost 97% of them that are killed by other black men. there were over 100 shot in Chicago last weekend alone (and it was called progress no less). over sensationalizing this issue by the media and others causes events like Dallas...but that's just my opinion.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    pjhawks said:

ugh. yea lets focus on the incredible small % of black men killed by cops instead of the almost 97% of them that are killed by other black men. there were over 100 shot in Chicago last weekend alone (and it was called progress no less). over sensationalizing this issue by the media and others causes events like Dallas...but that's just my opinion.

respect your opinion. Separate issues though. Cops are not supposed to shoot and kill innocent civilians. The black on black crimes is a huge problem but a totally different one.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    mr bungle said:

pjhawks said:

respect your opinion. Separate issues though. Cops are not supposed to shoot and kill innocent civilians. The black on black crimes is a huge problem but a totally different one.
    And a lot of the black on black crime stems from non-violent offenders being put in the criminal justice system and being turned into killers, the American system is totally racist and ####ed!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    (Thankful to be living in Sweden)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2016

mr bungle said:

pjhawks said:

And a lot of the black on black crime stems from non-violent offenders being put in the criminal justice system and being turned into killers, the American system is totally racist and ####ed!
    not a big believer in personal responsibility huh? someone else's fault that over 100 people get shot in Chicago alone every weekend. umm ok.

the facts don't show 'hundreds of executions' by law enforcement in the past few years. it's just over sensationalizing it.

also until we can have a very frank talk without being labeled racists we will never get to answer why they "walk by me to get to him":
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    the problem has always been there. we just have cameras on us all the time now. racism is alive and thriving.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Seeing a lot of racist folks (white and black) because of this week's events. Minnesota and Dallas are absolute tragedies.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432
    I am not going to google it but was there really 100 people shot in Chicago last weekend? That sounds like a number that is way too high and if true that is unbelievable.
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    edited July 2016
    PJNB said:

I am not going to google it but was there really 100 people shot in Chicago last weekend? That sounds like a number that is way too high and if true that is unbelievable.

Not sure if it was 100, but there were a lot shot.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings/
    Post edited by EM194007 on
    PJNB said:

here is an article. over 2000 shooting victims in chicago so far this year. almost 100 per week.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/us/chicago-violence-july-4/
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    It's crazy what is happening in Chicago. This could have been a wonderful issue for Obama to tackle during his 8 years in office (since our local government is inept), but he's chosen to largely ignore the black on black shootings in Chicago. It's unfortunate.
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,419
    What are the stats for Seattle?
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    edited July 2016
    pjhawks said:

mr bungle said:

pjhawks said:

not a big believer in personal responsibility huh? someone else's fault that over 100 people get shot in Chicago alone every weekend. umm ok.

the facts don't show 'hundreds of executions' by law enforcement in the past few years. it's just over sensationalizing it.

also until we can have a very frank talk without being labeled racists we will never get to answer why they "walk by me to get to him":
    why take personal accountability when you can blame whitey and cops...bullshit ass excuses...how about quit breaking the damn law or putting yourself in bad situations...better yet blame the government for the dumbing down of people and making you dependent upon the government for everything to the point you don't know how to get out of the gutter they put you in...this isn't just black, this is whites, and every other ethnic group too who fall for this bs

I wont discount the fact there are some bad cops im not naïve btw

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Yes, there is racism and yes there are bad cops, too many guns, media sensationalism, etc. - but in most of these horrible stories there seems to be that one point where you go "if that guy would've just done what he was being told to do he would probably be alive today..."
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    The other problem at hand is that there is absolutely no sign of things getting any better any time soon.
    Hobbes said:

a lot less than there were before we fully legalized marijuana, shootings have dropped dramtically
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060

Hobbes said:

a lot less than there were before we fully legalized marijuana, shootings have dropped dramtically
    i imagine there is no stats on the correlation of legalized weed and shootings, what a silly point to make. additionally, Seattle and Portland have to be the most gentrified cities in the U.S. - they are super white places.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
    edited July 2016
    actually they had the stats the other day in a local paper, so not a silly, point, actually backed up by real data, I suppose I can hunt down the research, and Seattle does have a major homeless problem, the smell of marijuana is no longer PC, so a lot fewer ridiculous searches, fewer searches and stops, fewer altercations, even a 2nd grader could figure that out genius
    Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • pjman75pjman75 Posts: 849
    I was just thinking a similar thing this morning while driving to work; that Vs. as a whole really is sadly so poignant and spot on these days. Props on the post Hank.
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • Hobbes said:

:rofl:

Wait, does this mean I am a 2nd grader too?

:relaxed:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Hobbes said:

In 2015 there were 24 homicides in Seattle. 16 of them from shootings.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/half-of-seattles-female-homicide-victims-last-year-were-homeless/
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    Seattle is another city with a police problem.

But back to the point: How many unnecessary police shootings is too many? One. The answer is 1 is too many. And who brings a gun to a fist fight? A coward, that's who.
    Really, this thread should be about the music.
    Hobbes said:

well it is about the lyrics to the song

Hobbes said:

well it is about the lyrics to the song
    Exactly. Very few posts have actually referenced the song.

It's all about the music. :peace:
This discussion has been closed.