Long Time, First Time

Long time reader of the forum, first time poster.

Ten- The first time I encountered Pearl Jam was in late November 1991 when watching Headbanger’s Ball on MTV at a friend’s house (who was a big time metal head). Earlier that summer, I had gone to Lollapalooza 1991 as my first concert and was deep into alternative bands such as Jane’s Addiction, The Pixies, The Cure, NIN, The Replacements and punk bands like Black Flag and Dead Kennedys. By the end of 1991, I had also gotten into Nirvana and Soundgarden and was excited about the “Seattle sound” that was being played up in Spin, Alternative Press and Rolling Stone.

I remember Riki Rachtman teasing and talking up the video for Alive by this new band from Seattle called Pearl Jam. I had read about them, but never heard anything. When the video was finally played I will have to say that I was actually underwhelmed. The song was slower and more classic rock than I had expected, especially for being on Headbanger’s Ball.

Eventually after a few more views on MTV, Alive grew on me and I got Ten on cassette for my birthday that December. After that they quickly became one of my favorite bands with Once, Even Flow, Why Go and Porch being played in frequent rotation.

I tried to see PJ with RHCP and Smashing Pumpkins when that tour came to the Rocky Point Pavilion in Rhode Island, but my friends all bailed. Finally got to see them live during Lollapalooza 1992 on the first day of the Mansfield, MA tour dates.
Favorites songs- Release, Even Flow

VS- Came out the first semester of my freshman year at college. Was going to school about 25 miles outside Boston. Nine of us from my dorm pilled into a pick up truck, of the only kid we knew with a vehicle, and drove in the city to wait in line for the midnight release of VS. We waited for hours at the Tower Records on the corner of Newbury and Mass Ave on that Monday night. Was pissed that I was one of the people who drew the short straw and had to ride home in the bed of the pick up and could not listen to the album being played in the cab. When we got back to campus those in the cab were raving about VS. I ran into the dorm and grabbed my Discman. Skipped class the next day to listen to the album a few more times.
Favorite songs- Small Town, Leash

Vitalogy- By the time this came out my sophomore year, I did not have to buy a copy because everyone on campus owned one and played it non stop. Despite the fact that this is a fantastic album, the white hats and jocks played it so much on endless loops (especially Betterman, Not For You and Corduroy) that I actually got burnt out on the band and started to listen to them less. This began my dark phase of Pearl Jam.
Favorite songs- Whipping, Satan’s Bed

No Code- My friend that I hosted a radio show with used to play some tracks form this album from time to time on during the broadcast, but I never go into it during its release. This was also largely ignored by the other kids at school as they continued to play VItalogy and VS in heavy rotation.
Favorite songs- In My Tree, Present Tense

Yield- The only thing I remember about this album when it came out was the video for Do The Evolution. I was working as a manager at a Coconuts record store and this was one of the only videos worth watching on the monitors that played all day. During an 8 hour shift you would see the same videos 5-6 times a day on average and Evolution was the one ray of sunshine.
Favorite songs- Do The Evolution, Low Light

Binaural & Riot Act- Both were released and I never heard either until years later.
Favorite songs- Insignificance, Nothing As It Seems
Favorite songs- Ghost, Green Disease

Pearl Jam- Was given to me as a gift by friend. It was the first time I actively listed to PJ since Vitalogy and I really enjoyed the album. This is what re-ignited my passion for the band. Also know as the my rebirth of PJ.
Favorite songs- World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand

Backspacer- The was the first PJ album that I went and purchased the day it came out since VS was released. Was really excited when PJ played the 1st episode of The Tonight Show w/ Conan.
Favorite songs- Unthought Known, Got Some

It was during this time that I got into Pearl Jam more than I ever had before. I worked backwards through the catalog to give proper listens to and fall in love with No Code, Yield, Binaural and Riot Act. Binaural became one of my favorite albums and I was mad I had not discovered it for so many years. I also enjoyed going back and listening to Vitalogy on my own terms vs being forced to listen to a hand full of song repetitively. Started to collect their official bootlegs. I have about 5-6 shows from tours supporting each album to make sure I have a representative mix from each era. My two favorites are Philly 10/27/09 and Gorge 7/23/06.

Lightening Bolt- Went to see PJ at Wrigley in 2013 for the first time since 1992. My 21 year gap between seeing them live was not by choice. Lack of funds and life (wife and kids) got in the way. Recently, I lost my job at the place I had worked for 18 years. It was pretty tough being out of work having previously been to bread winner for the family. Pearl Jam’s music became an even bigger part of my life during this time and helped bring lots of joy to otherwise dreadful days. Got a ticket to Wrigley 2 for this summer and am over the moon excited waiting for the show.
Favorite songs- Pendulum, Swallowed Whole

Thanks for reading. Apologies for the long post. Had 25 years of PJ to share.

Comments

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    Welcome aboard! :joy:
  • Pearl34JamPearl34Jam Posts: 1,102
    Awesome first post. I really enjoyed reading that.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • AceCoolAceCool Posts: 455
    Right on. That was a good read.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Great post, man! Welcome to the board!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Nice post. Welcome.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Awesome post!!wellcome
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PapPap Posts: 28,823
    :plus_one:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Posts: 3,889
    Awesome 1st post! Really enjoyed reading it!!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,118
    Gotta say it now, better loud than too late..glad to have you here...hope you continue to post
  • PP193448PP193448 Posts: 4,281
    Hello! :peace:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Welcome OP
    www.cluthelee.com
  • yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Very Cool post ! Enjoyed reading
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Welcome! :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Wow, nice first post! Just like you I was a dark fan too, I went dormant after Vitalogy and one day after Riot Act came out I went and bought EVERYTHING Pearl Jam I was missing. Joined the 10c in 04, first show was VFC warms up 1 and 2. Fenway will be show 22 and 23. Welcome to the addiction.
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Awesome post. Welcome aboard. As a recent first time user to the boards myself, long time member, let the addiction begin.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    love these type of post! welcome aboard
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Welcome & Cheers! :peace:
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Great post, enjoyable read.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96