Did Ed even know who Ellie Goulding is? Does he listen to the radio nowadays?

My feeling is Ed isn't a fan of pop music. This is borne out by knowing his views on commercial music and that one RS interview a few years back where he laments letting his kids listen to the radio in the car and being sickened and disgusted at what he was hearing.

So Ellie Goulding is at Bonnaroo and a headliner. She posts this on Instagram of meeting Ed.

Cant help but think she's like "Oh my God, Eddie, you and Pearl Jam are so amazing!".

And Ed;s like "thanks so much, but who are you? What kind of music do you make?"

Comments

• I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was respectful to Ellie after she says hey you are one of my heroes.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    I think Ed is a lot more aware of other artists and types of music than you think.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Ellie Goulding is on record as being a huge Pearl Jam fan. She has previously stated that Ten is her favourite album. I'm sure Eddie knows who she is.
  • being that he has school aged daughters I am sure he hears more of this dreck than you might imagine. Also agree with Dr T -- you know he is going to be nice to her in that setting regardless.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    He hangs out with One Direction so pretty sure he knows. He has two young girls so im pretty sure the radio in the car isnt set to The Buzzcocks lol. Their twitter has followed Ellie for years now (doubt he reads it tho)
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Eddie looks like he is going in for the polite handshake first and she is going for a little hug. I'm sure Ellie is a Pearl Jam fan because I saw an interview once and the record she held up was redux Ten on vinyl. I can't remember the question she was asked. She seems nice and although not my type of music she may be a future princess here in the UK.
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    Maybe I should have rephrased. Anyone who has listened to pop radio in the last 5 years has heard an Ellie song. She's one of the most popular pop artists in the world and headlines festivals.
    And yes, he has kids. So the radio is most likely playing pop as he confirmed in that RS interview, and why PJ covered Frozen a few years back. So if he and his kids have listened to pop, yes, he's heard her songs.

But, yeah, I dont think Ed is a fan of the pop scene, nor does he actively listen to it. He wouldn't be listening to it if his kids didn't.

RP112579 said:

I think Ed is a lot more aware of other artists and types of music than you think.

He's a music fan no doubt. But as far as CURRENT and POPULAR artists I dont think he has a clue to be honest. My mind wanders back to Monkeywrench radio, and Matt or someone comes on and says "The jam of the moment is Outkast's Rosa Parks". Ed said he had no idea who they were and what the song was. This was at the height of the songs popularity.

Maybe he changed since then and since the RS interview that I mentioned, but I tend to doubt it.
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,066
    edited June 2016

Maybe I should have rephrased. Anyone who has listened to pop radio in the last 5 years has heard an Ellie song. She's one of the most popular pop artists in the world and headlines festivals.
    And yes, he has kids. So the radio is most likely playing pop as he confirmed in that RS interview, and why PJ covered Frozen a few years back. So if he and his kids have listened to pop, yes, he's heard her songs.

But, yeah, I dont think Ed is a fan of the pop scene, nor does he actively listen to it. He wouldn't be listening to it if his kids didn't.

Yeah thats probably true, but you have to look at who the target audience is. I imagine Ellies main target audience is completely different to Pearl Jam, thats why her music really shouldnt bother anyone here if you dont like it
    Post edited by Force Of Nature on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited June 2016
    RP112579 said:

Me too. And he's got daughters. I figure he would be very open and aware about what his kids are into, since he is obsessed with music.
    Hey, I know who she is, and I never ever listen to the radio, let alone pop on the radio.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    Here is a link. Apparently Ten is her favourite album
    https://youtu.be/1yFnYtkW1KU

RP112579 said:

He's a music fan no doubt. But as far as CURRENT and POPULAR artists I dont think he has a clue to be honest. My mind wanders back to Monkeywrench radio, and Matt or someone comes on and says "The jam of the moment is Outkast's Rosa Parks". Ed said he had no idea who they were and what the song was. This was at the height of the songs popularity.

Maybe he changed since then and since the RS interview that I mentioned, but I tend to doubt it.
    Him not knowing who one band was years and years ago means nothing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 2016

Yeah thats probably true, but you have to look at who the target audience is. I imagine Ellies main target audience are teens and children and completely different to Pearl Jam, thats why her music really doesnt (or shouldnt) bother anyone here.
    true
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I know nothing about this girl, but good for her.
    Is she 18?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

Is she 18?

She's 29.
    She's very talented. Not my style really, but she does have some very nice songs.
    edited June 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

RP112579 said:

yep
    Post edited by musicismylife78 on
    You almost cant avoid hearing her talk about PJ so thats cool that she got to meet them

Is she 18?

Wow, really? She's a HUGE artist. One of the biggest in the world. This isn't some small tiny artist. Headlined Coachella several times. Now Bonaroo. Will headline Glastonbury this month. Has had number 1 albums and songs. Had a song on the 50 Shades soundtrack. And dated Calvin Harris and Skrillex.
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    ?
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

PJ_Soul said:

RP112579 said:

It doesn't now because Outkast isn't in the spotlight anymore since they are on hiatus. But Rosa Parks was one of the biggest songs of the 90's. Outkast one of hip hops biggest and most popular groups. I think Ed even admitted on Monkeywrench, "nah man, I dont listen to hip hop".

I think its silly to think he is keeping up with the latest bands of the moment, because thats never really been his MO.

Theres nothing wrong with that. And I think to suggest he does is sort of silly.

Here it is from 2013, just 3 years ago...

RS:I take it you're not into much new pop music, then.

ED: These pop songs almost feel like tabloid journalism, in a way. It's crap that people seem to like. And I don't know if it has meaning. I don't know if one of the pop songs of the summer has any fiber in it. People are consuming it, and is it healthy? I don't know. Maybe it's some kind of way of taking themselves away from their problems. Maybe there's some healthy property or some restorative property that I'm not receiving. It seems like it has a really high fructose content.

------
    Prior to this question he rails against the VMA's.

I posted about the interview 3 years ago when it happened, and 3 years later my view on it has not changed. Ed sounds like an old man telling kids to get off his lawn. VMA's and pop music? Really?
    Chill. We're just saying that Eddie probably knew who Ellie Goulding is, likely because he has daughters and doesn't live under a rock.
  • Saw her perform in a small club five years ago and was pretty impressed. Not particularly my cup of tea, but she has a pretty good cover of 'your song' if you want to check it out sometime.imageyoutu.be/jo7_ldPl1TI
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,771
    edited June 2016

Okay so Ed is not a fan of the pop scene and that matters why? I guess I don't get this thread, everyone including musicians have their own tastes. So yes if he didn't have kids he most likely wouldn't hear her music. It's a photo, we don't know what's being said. He may be being polite or he may truly respect her because she's an artist and a fan. I don't picture Ed knowing the hottest rappers or death metal at the moment either but if he was introduced to those bands backstage at an enormous festival with dozens of other acts he'd probably be respectful as well.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    edited June 2016
    Should have done the Bond theme like rumoured instead of Sam Smith.

And what does it matter if he didn't knew of her? He knows now.

I bet all the guys at Bob Dylans 30th anniversary didn't know who Vedder was when he sang Masters of War.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,771

Should have done the Bond theme like rumoured instead of Sam Smith.

And what does it matter if he didn't knew of her? He knows now.

I bet all the guys at Bob Dylans 30th anniversary didn't know who Vedder was when he sang Masters of War.

I was thinking the same thing about PJs first Bridge Show, with James Taylor and Elton John. Ed and the boys were Ellie Goulding in those first meetings
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Jesus, all this over a dissected photo?

I have no idea who this chick is either, so what?

Maybe he was being friendly and polite - apparently an odd concept nowadays, but still.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    I was listening to Ellie Goulding's new record when I saw this post.
  • Never heard of her, don't feel like I need to. Get off my lawn.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188

Never heard of her, don't feel like I need to. Get off my lawn.

RoleModelsinBlood31, love me like you do.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited June 2016
    while we like to imagine that PJ doesnt know anyone else on a festival bill and just shows up and plays thats hardly the case. Theyre businessmen. They meet with promoters, their manager fills them in on everything, etc . Theyre very aware of a lineup, especially headliners. Plus didnt Ed say he has to play Katy Perry in the car constantly for his kid?
  • Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,066
    as far as I know none of us here are Eddie Vedder (if you are, then hey man, when you playing UK again?). we dont know what music he does or doesnt like, who he does or doesnt know. you dont have to like the same music/people as he does, just like the music he produces.