R.I.P. Muhammad Ali

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,418
    chadwick said:

george foreman... these are real men. when you get hit by ali, norton or foreman, you know you been hit by a truck,. most of us would literally die probably

Ali-Frazier I

The left hook Frazier landed, to knock down Ali?

Yeah that punch would have probably snapped mine and your head, right off our neck.
    An incredible punch.

Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Lyle, Young
    The 70's heavyweight division was pure insanity.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    The Greatest...

Dodging 21 punches in 10 seconds....
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Those made me smile, Hobbes, much like these:

And this gave me a couple of tears.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    hedonist said:

Those made me smile, Hobbes, much like these:

And this gave me a couple of tears.

I can see why on that last one.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

mcgruff10 said:

God I hope you are being sarcastic.

Well, I did ask you the question.....show me where that it is a fact that Ali changed his religion to avoid the draft?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Yup, g. And for what it's worth, I know your other post comes from a good place - as you, yourself, do.

Listening to this -

In the clearing stands a boxer,
    And a fighter by his trade
    And he carries the reminders
    Of every glove that laid him down
    And cut him till he cried out
    In his anger and his shame,
    "I am leaving, I am leaving."
    But the fighter still remains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sstgcbGsew0
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635

The 12 year old Cassius Clay, learning to box so he could punch out the thief who stole his Schwinn.
    Nice shirt.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

I love this photo...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,768
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    RKCNDY said:

I love this photo...

Maybe one of the best sports pictures of all time.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place

RKCNDY said:

I love this photo...

Maybe one of the best sports pictures of all time.
    yeah, this one was pretty cool as well
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    edited June 2016
    With a simple question from a youngster Ali had a way to make some of us think....

http://youtu.be/2QE9XBovMk0

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• lanoisseforplanoisseforp Posts: 469
    Heartbroken... My childhood Hero and Inspiration. Rest In Power Ali.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Great athlete without a doubt. And a good inspirational figure/humanitarian later in his life. But some of that racial shit in the 70's with Frazier was bullshit. Calling Frazier an Uncle Tom and a gorilla and trying to turn black people against him. I've always thought that was worse that the draft dodge thing.

And Spinks got hosed in that first fight. Split-decision? Get out of town. Damn crooked judge.

Definitely the greatest heavyweight ever though. Everyone's posting their favorite Ali pictures today so I'll post two of mine:

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited June 2016

Great athlete without a doubt. And a good inspirational figure/humanitarian later in his life. But some of that racial shit in the 70's with Frazier was bullshit. Calling Frazier an Uncle Tom and a gorilla and trying to turn black people against him. I've always thought that was worse that the draft dodge thing.

And Spinks got hosed in that first fight. Split-decision? Get out of town. Damn crooked judge.

Definitely the greatest heavyweight ever though. Everyone's posting their favorite Ali pictures today so I'll post two of mine:

Why do you think it was bull shit? It was genius. It was a head game and Ali had Frazier beat before he even stepped into the ring. Frazier took it personally and carried it with him for the rest of his life. Ali forgot about it the second he said it.
    Is that Beatles photo real?!

Lucky Ringo.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    hedonist said:

Is that Beatles photo real?!

Lucky Ringo.

Yeah there's a couple cool photos from that day. Just google Beatles Ali
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Wish I was old enough to have seen him fight. Rest peacefully, Champ!
    Muhammad Ali, the ONLY star on the Hollywood walk of fame that's NOT on the floor.

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/the-reason-behind-muhammad-ali-s-hollywood-star-being-on-the-wall-not-the-floor-040616

Peace

edited June 2016
    I can't confirm it as yet but I believe this will be the inscription on Ali's headstone....

“I tried to love somebody. I did try to feed the hungry."

"I did try, in my life, to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity”

A MLK quote.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/muhammad-alis-final-hours-daughters-8116602
    Ali's heart was so strong it refused to stop, daughter Hana said.....

Muhammad Ali’s heart kept beating for 30 minutes after he died in hospital, his family revealed last night.

Even though the boxing legend’s major organs had failed, his heart was so strong it refused to stop, daughter Hana said.

In a moving tweet she said: “All of us were around him hugging and kissing him and holding his hands, chanting the Islamic prayer.

“All of his organs failed but his HEART wouldn’t stop heating. For 30 minutes... his heart just keep beating.

“No one had ever seen anything like it. A true testament to the strength of his Spirit and Will!”

Hana added: “We are so happy daddy is free now. We all tried to stay strong and whispered in his ear, ‘You can go now. We will be OK. We love love. Thank you.
    Peace
    Post edited by g under p on

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    chadwick said:

foreman is a machine

Yes.

In fact, he is a grill
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    rollings said:

chadwick said:

foreman is a machine

Yes.

In fact, he is a grill
    LOL
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124

rollings said:

chadwick said:

foreman is a machine

Yes.

In fact, he is a grill
    LOL
    love your avatar !
    rollings said:

rollings said:

chadwick said:

foreman is a machine

Yes.

In fact, he is a grill
    LOL
    love your avatar !
    The site chose it for me automatically.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    ESPN showing the ceremony/tribute now. Billy Crystal just spoke.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

ESPN showing the ceremony/tribute now. Billy Crystal just spoke.

Billy crystal was funny. That family friend was good too. I enjoy hearing the stories all these people are telling.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Cartoon in the New Yorker:

-New Butterfly Discovery-
    Monarch Stingingus-Greaticus
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    edited June 2016
    I watched a doco last night called 'Thriller in Manilla'. It portrayed Ali in a negative light.
    Claimed he was just a mouthpiece for NOI, that his viet cong comment wasn't his idea.
    And talked of his bullying of Frazier. It was very biased against Ali this doco.

I watched a doco last night called 'Thriller in Manilla'. It portrayed Ali in a negative light.
    Claimed he was just a mouthpiece for NOI, that his viet cong comment wasn't his idea.
    And talked of his bullying of Frazier. It was very biased against Ali this doco.

The nation of Islam was feeding most of that propaganda to him. The trash talk to Frazier was just for promotion.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Try the documentary When We Were Kings.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."