Options

Could Binaural have been a 'classic' double LP?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Gods Dice would be a great B-side. Shouldn't have made the final album. Especially with Sad, Fatal, and Education left off.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    rummy said:

Although I'm not a huge fan of the double-album (always seems watered down) many of the greatest bands/musicians have released one (The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zep, Pink Floyd....even semi-contemporaries like GNR (sorta) and Smashing Pumpkins had one).

Pearl Jam deserves to be in such company - although I guess it doesn't take a double album to do so.

considering we have zero b-sides released from the last 3 albums over the last 13 years i think it would be possible
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    my2hands said:

rummy said:

Although I'm not a huge fan of the double-album (always seems watered down) many of the greatest bands/musicians have released one (The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zep, Pink Floyd....even semi-contemporaries like GNR (sorta) and Smashing Pumpkins had one).

Pearl Jam deserves to be in such company - although I guess it doesn't take a double album to do so.

considering we have zero b-sides released from the last 3 albums over the last 13 years i think it would be possible
    Geez. 3 albums over 13 years. I knew that obviously, but seeing it written down like this really highlights how little music they produce now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

rummy said:

Geez. 3 albums over 13 years. I knew that obviously, but seeing it written down like this really highlights how little music they produce now.
    Yeah it s pretty pathetic.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    blindmuleblindmule Albany, NY Posts: 138
    When you figure they dropped 7 fantastic albums in just 11 years... But you figure any band has a drop off at a certain point - at least their new albums have been really good for the most part.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

rummy said:

Don't forget Backspacer is only 36 minutes... I have no problem with short albums... pretty much everything pre-cd was 40 minutes or shorter... but it's pretty short by today's standards
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939

my2hands said:

I am unaware of the original tracklisting

from wikipedia:

When the track listing for Binaural was first released in late March 2000, it was quite different from the final version.[52] Some tracks that were originally on the album were dropped and not released until the 2003 rarities compilation, Lost Dogs,[44] and "Gods' Dice" was added to the final version. The original version is as follows:

"Breakerfall"
    "Insignificance"
    "Evacuation"
    "Letter to the Dead" (Later renamed to "Sad")
    "Rival"
    "Grievance"
    "Light Years"
    "Of the Girl"
    "Thin Air"
    "Nothing as It Seems"
    "Fatal"
    "Sleight of Hand"
    "Soon Forget"
    "In the Moonlight"
    "Parting Ways"
    "Education"
    Add Gods Dice, the Touring Band instrumentals, rearrange the track list and you have 20 songs! Great double album!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

rummy said:

If you want to be optimistic 3 albums in the last 10 years. Well as band. Unless you count their countless side projects. Then they put out a good amount.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    There's a fan made double album I found over on the Red Mosquito forum but the person who made it isn't responding to PMs here. Bummer. It has some stuff that I've not heard re: mixes.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    Nice! That would be a great 'deluxe' version!

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    I hope I can track it down.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

rummy said:

If you want to be optimistic 3 albums in the last 10 years. Well as band. Unless you count their countless side projects. Then they put out a good amount.
    While i enjoy a lot of the side projects, I am not counting those. 3 albums in 13 years (not 10, lol!) is poor output for Pearl Jam, given their output before that. It's fairly poor for any really active band like them. If the band wasn't still basically their full time jobs, side projects or not, i probably wouldn't feel this way, but it is. They crank out merch constantly and tour regularly. Most bands who are that active manage to produce a lot more music than PJ has in the last half of their careers.
    (Yeah, of course they can do what they want at whatever pace they want... i'm just making an observation ;) )

Frankly, i sometimes feel like they decided they didn't even like each other enough to make much music together. I mean, they do like each other, but not enough to kind of live life with each other like many great bands do, as close friends. They keep saying that the reason they are still together is because they hardly ever spend time with each other between tours, lol. I get it, but that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for their friendships. Not sure about everyone else, but i don't need regular months long breaks from the people i like to spend time with or work really well with. I am not saying they should be together constantly or anything. It's just a bit odd to me that they make such a big point about largely needing to stay the fuck away from one another between tours or promo or studio work. It's like they are trying to treat PJ like their side project! Besides all the merch so they can rake in more dough, anyway. Well, fine, if that's what they want, but it's not so great for the fans!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    This thread inspired me to make a playlist of the original track order. Just finished listening to it, an interesting alternate take on the album, but my initial impression is that I prefer the official release, but only by a little bit, lol.

Amusingly, Education became a quasi-hidden track, because (using the album and Lost Dogs as the sources) it follows the actual hidden track on Binaural, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

my2hands said:

rummy said:

While i enjoy a lot of the side projects, I am not counting those. 3 albums in 13 years (not 10, lol!) is poor output for Pearl Jam, given their output before that. It's fairly poor for any really active band like them. If the band wasn't still basically their full time jobs, side projects or not, i probably wouldn't feel this way, but it is. They crank out merch constantly and tour regularly. Most bands who are that active manage to produce a lot more music than PJ has in the last half of their careers.
    (Yeah, of course they can do what they want at whatever pace they want... i'm just making an observation ;) )

Frankly, i sometimes feel like they decided they didn't even like each other enough to make much music together. I mean, they do like each other, but not enough to kind of live life with each other like many great bands do, as close friends. They keep saying that the reason they are still together is because they hardly ever spend time with each other between tours, lol. I get it, but that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for their friendships. Not sure about everyone else, but i don't need regular months long breaks from the people i like to spend time with or work really well with. I am not saying they should be together constantly or anything. It's just a bit odd to me that they make such a big point about largely needing to stay the fuck away from one another between tours or promo or studio work. It's like they are trying to treat PJ like their side project! Besides all the merch so they can rake in more dough, anyway. Well, fine, if that's what they want, but it's not so great for the fans!
    2006, 2009, 2013. 2016-2006 = 10
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    They are counting the time between Lost Dogs and Avocado.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    PJNB said:

They are counting the time between Lost Dogs and Avocado.

IMHO, Lost Dogs shouldn't count in these reckonings, as it's a collection, not an album. If that's the case, the Rearviewmirror collection gets equal weight.

Which might make the band look worse to some (means nothing to me), but it's just my 2 cents, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yeah, i'm actually counting the time from after Riot Act was released to now. 2003 to 2016. I guess if you want generosity, we could not count the year RA came out and make it 12 years, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542

People like me would probably say it would have been a stronger single LP if they left off Breakerfall, God's Dice, Thin Air and Evacuation.

You're crazy man. Breakerfall>God's Dice is probably my favorite one, two punch to open a PJ album. Thin Air is such a great song. Evacuation maybe not as great as the first two tracks is still a really good song. I guess we all hear it differently though.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16