Options

Could Binaural have been a 'classic' double LP?

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    RS151862 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

With "you are" as #1, evacuation could be the second worst live song performed by pj. I won't even rank in the moonlight since it wasn't good enough to make binaural but it was terrible at pj20

You Are rules and Josh Homme performing with Pearl Jam was awesome.
    You are rules for 1% of the crowd. Otherwise it s like watching paint dry.
    I'm with Mike on that. You Are is only interesting to those of us posting on the forum. 95% of the crowd is immediately on their phone checking facebook and the twitter machine when that song starts.
    Who gives a flying shit what the other 95% are doing? I guarantee there are just as many people checking their damn phones during any given song at any given show. People can't stay off the damn things for more than 5 minutes anyway.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    RS151862 said:

RS151862 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

With "you are" as #1, evacuation could be the second worst live song performed by pj. I won't even rank in the moonlight since it wasn't good enough to make binaural but it was terrible at pj20

I'm with Mike on that. You Are is only interesting to those of us posting on the forum. 95% of the crowd is immediately on their phone checking facebook and the twitter machine when that song starts.
    But can't that argument sorta be made for nearly every song from Riot Act, Avocado, and Backspacer? You're implying that "deep cuts" from the post-2000 albums (the least popular albums) only interest people obsessed with Pearl Jam right?

Also, even though I get what you're trying to say, you're wrong about the "people posting on the forum" thing. I know a lot of "hardcore" fans that have been to many shows, want to hear their favorite rare songs (You Are for example), and have never once posted on this forum.
    I was just implying hardcore fans when I said people that post on the forum. I know a lot of huge fans don't post here.

And yes, I think the majority of people at a PJ show are casual fans that aren't interested in rare songs. It's what's great about Ed, he manages to play all those huge songs people love and weave the rarities into the set that we love.
    Yeah they do a great job with the setlists as far as making sure there's something for everyone.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ED477ED477 Posts: 134
    Here's the track listing for that fan-made compilation...

http://s6.postimg.org/62mto04io/PJ_Binaural_Deluxe_Back.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889

RS151862 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

But can't that argument sorta be made for nearly every song from Riot Act, Avocado, and Backspacer? You're implying that "deep cuts" from the post-2000 albums (the least popular albums) only interest people obsessed with Pearl Jam right?

Also, even though I get what you're trying to say, you're wrong about the "people posting on the forum" thing. I know a lot of "hardcore" fans that have been to many shows, want to hear their favorite rare songs (You Are for example), and have never once posted on this forum.
    your first paragraph is definitely true. There's not too much energy when albums 6, 7 or 8 are played. At least with a song like grievance or severed hand it's fast and kicks some serious ass. Other songs like sleight, evacuation, you are and in the moonlight just don't work live imho.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2016
    RS151862 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

So what?
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

RS151862 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

So what?
    How much longer until you are out of jail?
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    ED477 said:

I would love if someone shared this greatness!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,478
    RS151862 said:

igotid88 said:

I don't think they knew at the time they were going to release a b-sides and rarities album.

They definitely knew they were doing a b-sides album, it was part of their original contract with Epic. They were obligated to do 7 albums, a b-sides album and a greatest hits album. But i doubt they'd save any material for a b-side album, Id assume every record they released included what they believed to be their strongest material.
    I don't know about that. They purposely delayed or sabotaged some of their most commercial material such as Better Man. Of course, "commercial" doesn't necessarily mean "strongest."
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411

RS151862 said:

igotid88 said:

I don't think they knew at the time they were going to release a b-sides and rarities album.

They definitely knew they were doing a b-sides album, it was part of their original contract with Epic. They were obligated to do 7 albums, a b-sides album and a greatest hits album. But i doubt they'd save any material for a b-side album, Id assume every record they released included what they believed to be their strongest material.
    I don't know about that. They purposely delayed or sabotaged some of their most commercial material such as Better Man. Of course, "commercial" doesn't necessarily mean "strongest."
    If they were any other band they would've taken advantage of the success of Last Kiss. And released "Sad" as their next single if it were on Binaural.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

RS151862 said:

igotid88 said:

If they were any other band they would've taken advantage of the success of Last Kiss. And released "Sad" as their next single if it were on Binaural.
    Maybe but if they were any other band, they wouldn't have recorded a cover of a teenage death song from the 50's for their holiday vinyl,
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

RS151862 said:

igotid88 said:

I think the best single off of binaural would have been either grievance or light years. I've never been a huge fan of sad but I do agree with you that it would have been a good single. There were so many better options than nais!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:

igotid88 said:

RS151862 said:

igotid88 said:

I think the best single off of binaural would have been either grievance or light years. I've never been a huge fan of sad but I do agree with you that it would have been a good single. There were so many better options than nais!
    even Jeff said so, and he wrote it!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    Insignificance should've been a single and not a b-side to NAIS
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Going by the "norm" of what a single should be, yeah, either that or Grievance. And Hail Hail should have been the first single of No Code. But fuck the norm I guess.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

igotid88 said:

Going by the "norm" of what a single should be, yeah, either that or Grievance. And Hail Hail should have been the first single of No Code. But fuck the norm I guess.
    hail hail would have been a killer first single! I love who you are but what the heck were they thinking with that one? present tense would have been a nice 2nd single.
    at least they got it right with yield, given to fly was perfect!!! in hiding would have been a great choice too.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

igotid88 said:

hail hail would have been a killer first single! I love who you are but what the heck were they thinking with that one? present tense would have been a nice 2nd single.
    at least they got it right with yield, given to fly was perfect!!! in hiding would have been a great choice too.
    I think Who You Are was a calculated move to try and turn-off some fans that might have been into the band because it was a thing to do. Spin The Black Circle could be considered similar. For radio-play, Corduroy and Better Man might have been better choices. But Spin The Black Circle says "this is our record, take it or leave it" which I like.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

mcgruff10 said:

igotid88 said:

I think Who You Are was a calculated move to try and turn-off some fans that might have been into the band because it was a thing to do. Spin The Black Circle could be considered similar. For radio-play, Corduroy and Better Man might have been better choices. But Spin The Black Circle says "this is our record, take it or leave it" which I like.
    i think you are 100% correct. They had become too big at that point and had to scale things down. Betterman as a first single would have made vitalogy historic. Hell it might have outsold vs.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited May 2016

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Put me in that 1% that loves "You Are" then. I love the studio version and I'm dying to hear it live.
    You Are is fantastic.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited May 2016

RS151862 said:

ED477 said:

The Binaural Deluxe double disc version floating around a couple years back was excellent. I recommend you look for it if you don't have it and are a fan of this album.

I says PARDON????
    Ha, easy.. It was just a fan made compilation with the lost dog tracks added in. Not an official release.
    oh. phew.
    :lol: Can you imagine if that release actually officially existed and we didn't know about it at this point in our PJ fan careers? That would be like discovering Atlantis or something lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:

my2hands said:

RS151862 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

So what?
    I am being released from Level 3 probation tomorrow!
  • Options
    my2hands said:

mcgruff10 said:

my2hands said:

RS151862 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

So what?
    I am being released from Level 3 probation tomorrow!
    Ok behave yourself. I m tired of paying your bail money.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

ED477 said:

I would love if someone shared this greatness!
    I'll locate that for you
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Hmmmm....some tasty outtakes out there. Have a listen...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    What an era of Pearl Jam....forgot all about this improv from Portland I believe.

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SidnumSidnum Posts: 674

People like me would probably say it would have been a stronger single LP if they left off Breakerfall, God's Dice, Thin Air and Evacuation.

You're drunk.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    Is it widely accepted that Binaural was PJs most creative and prolific recording sessions? I mean on Lost Dogs alone there so many great songs that didn't make the cut!?
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    weebleweeble Bristol, England Posts: 133
    Sidnum said:

People like me would probably say it would have been a stronger single LP if they left off Breakerfall, God's Dice, Thin Air and Evacuation.

You're drunk.
    Lol. I agree Sidnum! God's Dice is so awesome - it's a huge tune! I love the lyrics too....

this power has no roots to guide, no role...
    trust in rusted minds refused to go
    unwillingness, it's meaningless to walk away in vain

:)
    This might pass, this might last, this may grow
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    Gods Dice is a really great track, musically and lyrically, interesting it wasn't on the 'original' track listing!?

So either someone in the band really pushed hard for it to be on the re-worked track list or it was recorded last minute after all the others had been finished. Whatever the reason I'm glad it found its way on there!
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Gods Dice is a really great track, musically and lyrically, interesting it wasn't on the 'original' track listing!?

So either someone in the band really pushed hard for it to be on the re-worked track list or it was recorded last minute after all the others had been finished. Whatever the reason I'm glad it found its way on there!

One of my favorite Jeff songs. Wrote the lyrics, too.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Although I'm not a huge fan of the double-album (always seems watered down) many of the greatest bands/musicians have released one (The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Led Zep, Pink Floyd....even semi-contemporaries like GNR (sorta) and Smashing Pumpkins had one).

Pearl Jam deserves to be in such company - although I guess it doesn't take a double album to do so.