Binaural: Where does it rank?

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    ITS THE FAKING GREATEST

WHAT A DUMB THREAD!
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Top 5
    Love it..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Top 5
    I freaking love Binaural, beats out everything(though sometimes it does battle Vs. for top spot). It has it all, the in your face, the dark and brooding, the introspective, the amazing music - it just has it all. That is the impression before hearing it on vinyl, after there can be no question, the layers on that album go so very deep.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Bottom 5

Bottom 5. I love the Binaural and its only in the bottom because Yield, No Code, Vitalogy, Vs., and Ten are so fucking good

Same

• Top 5

SO EASY ANSWER

Like Dimi said. Sooooo easy to answer this poll.

- Uncle Snuffy

Soldier Field - Jul 11, 1995, Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 14, 1997,
    Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Stadium - Nov 15, 1997, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Jun 27, 1998, United Center - Jun 29, 1998, Riverport Amphitheatre - Jul 02, 1998, Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000, Assembly Hall - Apr 23, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003, Fox Theatre - Oct 05, 2004, United Center - May 16, 2006, United Center - May 17, 2006, United Center - Aug 23, 2009, United Center - Aug 24, 2009, Sprint Center - May 03, 2010, Scottrade Center - May 04, 2010, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 03, 2011, Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2016
    Bottom 5
    Quote features mixed up again or I just don't know anymore.
    Maybe it's just that I have forgotten how to post after all these years :i_dunno:
    Refer to my bottom quote.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Bottom 5
    Bottom 5 for sure.
    Top with headphones on.
    Riot Act is lowest.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Top 5
    Top 3, some days #1
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Top 5
    I have to admit, it used to be a bottom 5 for me, but after being lucky enough to see it in its entirety live this year, it's now a top 3 (maybe), especially after giving the album several more listens in the weeks following the show. I generally don't try to rank the albums since they're all so gloriously different, in the vein of Zeppelin's albums.

That said, Yield's been number 1 for me since its release, although that has to do with a bunch of factors that have little to do with the album itself (I won it from a radio station and picked it up the day I flew out west for my grandmother's birthday/family reunion, one of just a couple CDs I took with me for the trip, lol). And the album kicks ass to boot, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Top 5
    No.1 or 2, depends on the period
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Top 5
    Great fucking record. Outstanding guitar work on it. Love the sound they got from the way it's recorded. Very creative lyrically and insanely good (and underrated) drum work from Matt.

Easy answer. One of their best.
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    Bottom 5
    #6 for me. Everything after it is below that.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    the first 3 songs kill that album for me. breakerfall gods dice and evacuation are barely b side level songs. take out those 3 and add sad education and fatal and id rank it near the top.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Bottom 5
    mrpink90 said:

the first 3 songs kill that album for me. breakerfall gods dice and evacuation are barely b side level songs. take out those 3 and add sad education and fatal and id rank it near the top.

Totally agree. Take out sleight of hand too and put in harmony or thunder clap with words.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    mcgruff10 said:

mrpink90 said:

Totally agree. Take out sleight of hand too and put in harmony or thunder clap with words.
    Why would you take out one of the best songs (SOH) on the album??????

I originally agreed that the first 3 songs were kind of weak but now I appreciate them for how they fit with the rest of the songs and contribute to the overall feel of the album. This isn't a radio friendly, every song is a hit album like Ten. This is a get in, sit down and prepare to take a ride down the rabbit hole album. It took me years to get that.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Bottom 5
    Bottom 5, but not as a knock against it. Just the albums I'd put in front of it are so good.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Bottom 5
    TJ25487 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrpink90 said:

I originally agreed that the first 3 songs were kind of weak but now I appreciate them for how they fit with the rest of the songs and contribute to the overall feel of the album. This isn't a radio friendly, every song is a hit album like Ten. This is a get in, sit down and prepare to take a ride down the rabbit hole album. It took me years to get that.
    sleight of hand is a complete bore live. I've never been a fan of that song.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Top 5
    mcgruff10 said:

TJ25487 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrpink90 said:

It was one of my highlights in Columbia
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Bottom 5

mcgruff10 said:

TJ25487 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrpink90 said:

It was one of my highlights in Columbia
    cool
  • Top 5
    Don't any of you dare touch Breakerfall, God's Dice, Evacuation or Sleight of Hand! I love them all right where they are. Binaural is a masterpiece - I can't rank PJ albums at all, but it's among my favorites. Agree that adding Sad, Education and Fatal would be amazing, but I also enjoy those in the Lost Dogs catalog.

Was Strangest Tribe a Binaural scratch? And who wrote that song?

One thing this thread has made me realize is that if you added Sad, Education, Fatal and Strangest Tribe to Binaural, that it would be, unquestionably, my favorite album ever... if it isn't already... which it is... depending on the day.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    mcgruff10 said:

TJ25487 said:

mcgruff10 said:

mrpink90 said:

Fair enough. It is a very slow song. I thought it was perfect at the Bennyroyal Hall concert though.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Bottom 5
    I would rank it exactly where it came out chronologically as well. Only because I love the first 5 albums so much. The album has huge nostalgic value for me. We ducked out of university for a few days and saw the last 4 shows of the tour (Portland, Boise and Seattlex2) plus I saw the Commodore show in Vancouver at the beginning of the tour. Only time I've seen 5 shows on the same tour, let alone 4 in a row. Every time I put the album on I have fond memories of that road trip.
  • Binaural could just have Nothing as it Seems on it and I would still have it in the top 5. Maybe not better than Riot Act, but would trade the other three albums for NAIS.

I feel the same about Of the Girl.
    I'm through with screaming
  • AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    Top 5

Binaural could just have Nothing as it Seems on it and I would still have it in the top 5. Maybe not better than Riot Act, but would trade the other three albums for NAIS.

I feel the same about Of the Girl.
    Yep.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    really regret not going with friends to see this tour in Chicago.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Top 5
    Honestly shocked those numbers are so close! I think Binaural is absolutely incredible. Both the songs on their own and the album as a whole. Probably the PJ album that 'takes me to another world' when I listen most. It's interesting musically and lyrically, and has provided us with some amazing live songs, too! Of the Girl is magical every time, always a treat to hear Grievance or Insignificance as well.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,034
    Bottom 5
    Bottom 5, but pretty high. 6 or 7 maybe. I just love vs., vitalogy, ten, avocado, yield , and no code too much!
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,809
    Top 5
    This albums is amazing. Shows the many sides and vibes Pearljam can give off.
  • statchwecstatchwec Des Moines, IA Posts: 23
    Top 5
    I'd rank it number 4. The first time I saw them, on the Backspacer tour 2010, they played three or four songs off of Binaural. I had a whole new perspective of the album after hearing some of the songs live. I got hooked on Binaural, which I absolutely didn't when I was younger.