Binaural Live...Was there a Reason

2»

Comments

• I still think the band is either done, or going away for a long time. That's my theory behind the full album plays, requests, crazy crowd interactions, set lists, walk on music, and pure speculation.

Going out with a bang if you will.
    I hear ya.
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639

I still think the band is either done, or going away for a long time. That's my theory behind the full album plays, requests, crazy crowd interactions, set lists, walk on music, and pure speculation.

and Seattle gets fucked again, still only one show since 2009
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    edited May 2016

I still think the band is either done, or going away for a long time. That's my theory behind the full album plays, requests, crazy crowd interactions, set lists, walk on music, and pure speculation.

Maybe taking a little family time for a while, I can see that. But IF, and I mean IF they take a little time to spend some time with their families, we couldn't really be mad at that, coming from a band that has done some kind of a tour every single year. How many bands perform the amount of shows that these guys do? That I can think of in the last 10 years there were maybe 2 years I missed some sort of stop or tour. But I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt they are done or ready to hang it up. I think McCready recently said they are heading back in to the studio after the tour for a new album! These guys are going to be doing this for a long time to come. Will they evolve? Yes. But that is going to come with age, growth and maturity. But these guys have figured out how to stay close and work together. I see them touring for the next 15-20 years, maybe not nearly as much, but they will still be Rockin in the free World. They are just having way to much fun doing this every night they are up on stage. No way they are done. Nor am I going to make some speculation from them because they are playing full album shows. Not the first time they do it. This many times in a tour? Yes. But I recall a band they admire in Hall of Famers Cheap Trick doing this quite a bit. And I will quote McCready in RS when he said he would love to do what they did and play a residency and play all of their albums B sides and rarities. (One can only hope this happens)
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
    RT287183 said:

Maybe taking a little family time for a while, I can see that. But IF, and I mean IF they take a little time to spend some time with their families, we couldn't really be mad at that, coming from a band that has done some kind of a tour every single year. How many bands perform the amount of shows that these guys do? That I can think of in the last 10 years there were maybe 2 years I missed some sort of stop or tour. But I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt they are done or ready to hang it up. I think McCready recently said they are heading back in to the studio after the tour for a new album! These guys are going to be doing this for a long time to come. Will they evolve? Yes. But that is going to come with age, growth and maturity. But these guys have figured out how to stay close and work together. I see them touring for the next 15-20 years, maybe not nearly as much, but they will still be Rockin in the free World. They are just having way to much fun doing this every night they are up on stage. No way they are done.
    they never play more than a month at a pop, so not sure how 14 to 16 shows or whatever they are doing is such a burnout pace, they are going at their own pace, I know they won't be doing anything from mid-September on so Eddie can follow the Cubs go for the Pennant.

RT287183 said:

Maybe taking a little family time for a while, I can see that. But IF, and I mean IF they take a little time to spend some time with their families, we couldn't really be mad at that, coming from a band that has done some kind of a tour every single year. How many bands perform the amount of shows that these guys do? That I can think of in the last 10 years there were maybe 2 years I missed some sort of stop or tour. But I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt they are done or ready to hang it up. I think McCready recently said they are heading back in to the studio after the tour for a new album! These guys are going to be doing this for a long time to come. Will they evolve? Yes. But that is going to come with age, growth and maturity. But these guys have figured out how to stay close and work together. I see them touring for the next 15-20 years, maybe not nearly as much, but they will still be Rockin in the free World. They are just having way to much fun doing this every night they are up on stage. No way they are done.
    they never play more than a month at a pop, so not sure how 14 to 16 shows or whatever they are doing is such a burnout pace, they are going at their own pace, I know they won't be doing anything from mid-September on so Eddie can follow the Cubs go for the Pennant.
    Exactly. They are going at their own pace. And that's exactly what we can expect to see happen. And shit, I think they have earned that right.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    maverick said:

They played LP #6 in the 6.

I like that theory :)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited May 2016
    Eddie had a tough time navigating the proper evacuation route to get out of his hotel thus Binaural. :lol:
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,100
    My theory is that they wanted to do No Code and Yield in 2014 for the vinyl box sets but they weren't happy enough with the performances to feature it in a special release. Mike has said he struggled with No Code at Moline. But it created a lot of hype around the shows and I think the band enjoyed the experience so now they'll continue doing this until they've done all of the albums.
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
    I hope they play Vs again, I want to see it at the Gorge they could end the first set with it, Indifference is a great way to do it, because normally that is the end of the show, but to know they will be coming back for 12 or more songs would be awesome
    edited May 2016
    I could dig on this setlist for a Gorge show, I know it will be a few years before they will play Vs in order again, but it would be awesome to get an epic show at The Gorge :rock_on:
    Opening Set
    1.Oceans
    2.Sometimes
    3.Black
    4.Life Wasted
    5.Given To Fly
    6.Not For You
    7.Lightning Blot
    8.Smile
    9.Go
    10.Animal
    11.Daughter
    12.Glorified G
    13.Dissident
    14.W.M.A.
    15.Blood
    16.Rearviewmirror
    17.Rats
    18.Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    19.Leash
    20.Indifference
    Encore 1
    21.Around The Bend
    22.Whale Song
    23.Last Exit
    24.Got Some
    25.Save You
    26.Severed Hand
    27.Do The Evolution
    28.Brain Of J
    29.Porch
    Encore 2
    30.All Those Yesterdays
    31.Force Of Nature
    32.Mind Your Manners
    33.Corduroy
    34.Garden
    35.Comfortably Numb
    36.Once
    37.State Of Love And Trust
    38.Alive
    39.Rocking in The Free World
    40.Little Wing

Post edited by Big Bank Hank on
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    thats not bad
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    gosh...somehow, seeing the band do these album shows, makes me a little sad. whats the word? heritage band?

I could dig on this setlist for a Gorge show, I know it will be a few years before they will play Vs in order again, but it would be awesome to get an epic show at The Gorge :rock_on:
    Opening Set
    1.Oceans
    2.Sometimes
    3.Black
    4.Life Wasted
    5.Given To Fly
    6.Not For You
    7.Lightning Blot
    8.Smile
    9.Go
    10.Animal
    11.Daughter
    12.Glorified G
    13.Dissident
    14.W.M.A.
    15.Blood
    16.Rearviewmirror
    17.Rats
    18.Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    19.Leash
    20.Indifference
    Encore 1
    21.Around The Bend
    22.Whale Song
    23.Last Exit
    24.Got Some
    25.Save You
    26.Severed Hand
    27.Do The Evolution
    28.Brain Of J
    29.Porch
    Encore 2
    30.All Those Yesterdays
    31.Force Of Nature
    32.Mind Your Manners
    33.Corduroy
    34.Garden
    35.Comfortably Numb
    36.Once
    37.State Of Love And Trust
    38.Alive
    39.Rocking in The Free World
    40.Little Wing

Shit, Give me that setlist in Wrigley. I will take that with 0 complaints. Actually I take every setlist with 0 Complaints. But I would love that either night of Wrigley. Theo would probably love it too, as Ten and Vs are his favorites.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236

using the r.e.m. song for their walk-on music definitely piqued my curiosity about this. i could definitely envision them going out in a similar way to r.e.m., without much fanfare and notice. it's hard to think they will *actually* do this after the shows are done this year, but i'm definitely watching a bit more closely for any other signs.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

The full album stuff got me thinking about that too, but I don't see it happening. Pearl Jam is easy for them. Like Mike mentioned, they don't see much of each other when not on tour or recording. They rehearse a week at most, and have 1 to 2 legs a year of touring. THey were on tour for a month in 2015 and maybe two months collectively in 2016. They've practically sold out all the shows without an album to support and much social media presence. They have the same team as they did at the beginning for the most part. It is just too much easy money for them.

AndySlash said:

using the r.e.m. song for their walk-on music definitely piqued my curiosity about this. i could definitely envision them going out in a similar way to r.e.m., without much fanfare and notice. it's hard to think they will *actually* do this after the shows are done this year, but i'm definitely watching a bit more closely for any other signs.
    I think that some are reading way to much into this. lets examine. 1. Eddie is featured in the vocals for this song. 2. This is a band that they have a close relationship with. 3. The song itself does not translate in anyway shape or form a breakup, retirement, goodbye, etc. of any sort. 4. They have not used this song as the walk in for every show. Other songs have been used this tour. I think they only thing that has everybody on edge with this situation, is that the band happened to cover this particular song when R.E.M. announced retirement. But as far as that goes, lets revert back to #1 I wouldn't put to much thought into this as far as the band taking a final bow.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I dont really feel like they are done after this, nor are we going to see an extended break, etc. I dont really sense any tangible clues at all pointing in that direction.

IMO they sound really good. They appear to be having fun. They also have it organized where they call all their shots, creatively can do whatever they want.... do little bursts of touring anywhere, anytime, etc... I think the album thing is just another way for them to change it up keep it interesting for themselves.

I do think they feel kind of an obligation to their fans and rock music to keep going for awhile longer.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    If they are not done, and they aren't, then I hope the trend of song requests and using kids to get tambourines ends. The band is okay with it but not everything has to be sad. People try too hard to make these concerts about themselves. I know I am in the minority on this view.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Mike thinks they aren't done:
    What's the status of the next Pearl Jam record? Are you in discussions?
    We've been discussing, yeah. We have been talking on it a little bit, on and off. I think early in the year we had talked about going in this summer to start doing some demos and things, but this tour is happening now so we're kind of in that mode. But that being said, we're all working on demos for it. And we're not sure when we're going to record it, though. That's the question right there. But I think that organically sometime on the tour we'll go, "Hey, let's book a couple of days in Seattle in July," and we'll all end up being there. We're not actually going to be there in July, but if it happens, that's how it's going to happen. There's my non-answer for you. Yeah, I don't know yet. But I feel like we will do some demos together this summer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-talks-prince-north-carolina-boycott-20160510?page=5
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Posts: 826
    DeLukin said:

Mike thinks they aren't done:
    What's the status of the next Pearl Jam record? Are you in discussions?
    We've been discussing, yeah. We have been talking on it a little bit, on and off. I think early in the year we had talked about going in this summer to start doing some demos and things, but this tour is happening now so we're kind of in that mode. But that being said, we're all working on demos for it. And we're not sure when we're going to record it, though. That's the question right there. But I think that organically sometime on the tour we'll go, "Hey, let's book a couple of days in Seattle in July," and we'll all end up being there. We're not actually going to be there in July, but if it happens, that's how it's going to happen. There's my non-answer for you. Yeah, I don't know yet. But I feel like we will do some demos together this summer.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jams-mike-mccready-talks-prince-north-carolina-boycott-20160510?page=5

Yeah, but what's a quote from a band member next to rumours on a message board?
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Posts: 36,613
    edited May 2016
    that's the thing. Mike just said a few days ago that they are already talking about the next record. no WAY they are done. 0% chance. I think the full album thing is just something fun for them to do on tour, something fresh after 25 years.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    MayDay10 said:

I dont really feel like they are done after this, nor are we going to see an extended break, etc. I dont really sense any tangible clues at all pointing in that direction.

IMO they sound really good. They appear to be having fun. They also have it organized where they call all their shots, creatively can do whatever they want.... do little bursts of touring anywhere, anytime, etc... I think the album thing is just another way for them to change it up keep it interesting for themselves.

I do think they feel kind of an obligation to their fans and rock music to keep going for awhile longer.

they are in a great place where they can play even as few as 5 or 6 shows a year, especially with festivals, make a ton of money and satisfy their fan base. it's a great position for them at this time in their life. the days of long extended tours are surely over but i don't see them stopping altogether. i mean its a pretty sweet gig to have the ability to play a select number of shows and make you living for the year.

and bootlegger10 you are not alone. i agree with your sentiment. even though i've seen some cool moments where Ed gives shout outs i'm pretty leery of them these days. i mean everyone has bad things happen in their life but not everyone wants or needs a shout out from the stage.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,521
    I think Ed's just getting lazy.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427

the band has gotten a little lazy cuz the fan's still come out to see them no matter what.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321

Going away for a long time, at this point and at their age.. equals to be done.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    vaggar99 said:

the band has gotten a little lazy cuz the fan's still come out to see them no matter what.
    Look at all the song played this tour. They're not lazy at all. In fact, I think they're in their prime.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17