Mixing of the 2016 boots?

First off, I know nothing about audio pretty much.

But I noticed that

1) They don't up the volume on the crowd when Eddie lets them sing. I feel that's a pretty unessascary omission?

2) The backing vocals are weirdly high in volume sometimes and really sticks out.

You that know more than me, what do you say? I guess the mixing is good and all. But yeah. Cool to know. I find the sound of the 2003 boots to be the best to my ear, buy maybe that's because they put more time into or it's some personal preference.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,057
    I could be well off here but the audio is taken from the sound desk, so I would think the crowd noise is purely from the mics on stage that feeds back into the system? would it even be possible to tinker with this?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,188
    pdalowsky said:

I could be well off here but the audio is taken from the sound desk, so I would think the crowd noise is purely from the mics on stage that feeds back into the system? would it even be possible to tinker with this?

Always thought they put up mics to cover the crowd. But can be mistaken ofc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Drums sound a bit loud to me? I'm only like 5 songs in to the first one I've listened to tho
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Irish_AenimaIrish_Aenima Posts: 122
    Enjoying these boots but I do notice the backing vocals at some points. A lot of scratching on the Miami boot and on 2 or 3 songs on the Tampa boot. About to dive into the Jax boot. I do hate the obvious fact that Ed & crew are getting older because on some tracks, it seems like they sometimes "give up" (for lack of a better term) on some of the lyrics and such. That is not an insult. It must be just fucking difficult to be their age and play 2.5+ hour shows every damn night.

I will say...at their age...there is NO lack of energy. Stoked to hear the rest of the 2016 boots :smiley:
  • one of my other fave bands, The Watchmen, released their entire (at the time) final tour in 2003 for download. The audio sounds like it wasn't even mixed. The sound can be cringe-worthy at times. But I cherish it just the same.

My other fave band, The Headstones, record their shows (or so the lead singer claims sometimes), but nothing has ever been released (save for one radio broadcast-not a "real" show).
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836

I do hate the obvious fact that Ed & crew are getting older because on some tracks, it seems like they sometimes "give up" (for lack of a better term) on some of the lyrics and such. That is not an insult. It must be just fucking difficult to be their age and play 2.5+ hour shows every damn

i know what you mean. Does ed even sing the lyrics to lukin anymore, or is he just barking out what it sounds like? Santan's bed is another one he seems to be unable to execute on vocals anymore. Is what it is. Guy is 51, and some of these songs have some pretty heavy and challenging vocals to deliver.
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019

Enjoying these boots but I do notice the backing vocals at some points. A lot of scratching on the Miami boot and on 2 or 3 songs on the Tampa boot. About to dive into the Jax boot. I do hate the obvious fact that Ed & crew are getting older because on some tracks, it seems like they sometimes "give up" (for lack of a better term) on some of the lyrics and such. That is not an insult. It must be just fucking difficult to be their age and play 2.5+ hour shows every damn night.

I will say...at their age...there is NO lack of energy. Stoked to hear the rest of the 2016 boots :smiley:

The scratching - is that the same scratching/distortion that happened here and there throughout the South America and Mexico boots?

I know 10 club blamed uneven power for the problems on that tour, but that sounded fishy to me. Only because... what are the odds the same uneven power would happen in Mexico as it did in South America, yet this never happened in any previous tours down there? I was afraid this scratching would continue in to the NA tour bootlegs. Gosh I hope not.