Options

Get off your asses US audiences!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Is there a reason they continue to do very few GA shows in the US but not in Europe??

I was at the 3 San Fran shows, and it was very cool to be in the 'pit' so to speak. And I just thought to myself that I might never get to do that again unless I go to Europe or something.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Is there a reason they continue to do very few GA shows in the US but not in Europe??

I was at the 3 San Fran shows, and it was very cool to be in the 'pit' so to speak. And I just thought to myself that I might never get to do that again unless I go to Europe or something.
    the long time 10c members wouldnt get front row.you'd have alot of young people like me who dont have a very good 10c # camping out for front row for days
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    the long time 10c members wouldnt get front row.you'd have alot of young people like me who dont have a very good 10c # camping out for front row for days

Do you really think thats the reason?? If that is the reason, thats fucking weak.

I do remember my friends back in '98 saying they were sitting 14th row at the Minneapolis show. So I guess the question now is, how long has PJ done the seats at US shows? Or does the venue make a difference? Pre-2000 tour that is.
  • Options
    luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    if Pearl Jam didn't tour the states until 2012, we would make the Europe fans look like shit..end of story

That's the well known american spirit, praise the lord!!! And you are questionning why there are so many people out there who don't like the amis?

:D
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Options
    Nug wrote:
    Guys, the American crowds suck now because of security. You cannot smoke a butt, let alone some good nug without hiding under a chair. Don't know how many of you were around in the early-mid 90's going to PJ or Crowes shows, but it was not like that before. Back then, I was not afraid to light up a bowl of the kind or whatever I was fancy-ing at the time.

Yeah, when you look at some older video stuff the crowd is really good, not only seating around and analyzing what the band is gonna play next. I think you all went a little bit crazy on the other side, I have the feeling tha everything is like pre-armaggedon or something like that. Enjoy the life there's not always something to be frighten off.
  • Options
    AngusAngus Posts: 376
    luxpjamer wrote:
    That's the well known american spirit, praise the lord!!! And you are questionning why there are so many people out there who don't like the amis?

:D

Haha, I was about to post something similar. :)

To the guy blaming it on the security and not being able to smoke anymore at shows: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. So you think everyone in Europe the last 2 years was stoned as hell?
    00: 7/2 (cancelled...)
    05: 9/11,9/12,9/13,9/15,9/16,9/19
    06: 8/23,8/30, 9/9, 9/11
    07: 6/26, 6/29
  • Options
    I caught the Paris and the Marseille show last year and the Paris show in particular was nuts. It was a totally different experience. That being said queueing up in the hot sun and standing around for hours is not something I would want to do on a regular basis. I would rather hang out at the bar and drink. Many of the folks who hit multiple shows in the US would not be able to handle traveling and a bunch of general admission shows in a row. Each Europe show I was up front, got knocked around, was dehydrated as hell. I thought I was going to pass out at the Paris show when it felt like was caught in a ebb and was getting moved and could barely breathe. It was great, but it would be taxing every night.

Paris was insane indeed. Most insane I've probably ever been a part of. I totally did not enjoy the first 5-6 songs because of the crowd.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Do you really think thats the reason?? If that is the reason, thats fucking weak.

I do remember my friends back in '98 saying they were sitting 14th row at the Minneapolis show. So I guess the question now is, how long has PJ done the seats at US shows? Or does the venue make a difference? Pre-2000 tour that is.

I think 1996 was the last time they did GA seating in North America.
  • Options

Just trying to be an asshole, but isn't "GA seating" a bit like saying a "vinyl CD" or something like that? :)
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    GA seating? that's an oximoron right? you mean standing or you mean you could just pick a seat?
    seats suck..end of story...I hope they NEVER use them in Europe (and I'm 35, so don't talk to me about getting older)

there's a lot of the same faces up front every show here (was funny in Katowice how Mike pointed at everyone on the hellish barrier who was already there the night before in Munich :)), but we work hard for those spots, EVERY show, and when we get there, we're making the most of it.
    and rocking your ass off is what they want to see, they feed of it.

now that said there's a few yanks that visited us, that get front rows in the US, and they rocked like the best of us ;).
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    GA seating? that's an oximoron right? you mean standing or you mean you could just pick a seat?
    seats suck..end of story...I hope they NEVER use them in Europe (and I'm 35, so don't talk to me about getting older)

there's a lot of the same faces up front every show here (was funny in Katowice how Mike pointed at everyone on the hellish barrier who was already there the night before in Munich :)), but we work hard for those spots, EVERY show, and when we get there, we're making the most of it.
    and rocking your ass off is what they want to see, they feed of it.

now that said there's a few yanks that visited us, that get front rows in the US, and they rocked like the best of us ;).

Seating sucks, sorry!
    They would have never play rats if the person who asked for (;)) in Düsseldorf would have been seating
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Angus wrote:
    Just trying to be an asshole, but isn't "GA seating" a bit like saying a "vinyl CD" or something like that? :)

You can have GA seating.. that is seating on a 'free for all' basis (no seats reserved). For example, those who know the Astoria in London, they have standing and GA seating (though you can usually go to either areas with your ticket!).
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    redrock wrote:
    You can have GA seating.. that is seating on a 'free for all' basis (no seats reserved). For example, those who know the Astoria in London, they have standing and GA seating (though you can usually go to either areas with your ticket!).
    it;s still seating and it still sucks..that's why whenever I get tickets to the Astoria, Brixton Academy or Shepherd's Bush, I always go for the floor, even if I end up standing under the balcony (rarely, but it happens).
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Pegasus wrote:
    it;s still seating and it still sucks...
    No arguing about that! Just saying that GA seating is not an oxymoron! It does exist..
  • Options
    redrock wrote:

ah, yes, you're right. sorry
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    luxpjamer wrote:
    Seating sucks, sorry!
    They would have never play rats if the person who asked for (;)) in Düsseldorf would have been seating

funny, they played it FIRST in east rutherford, new jersey this past tour.....a 'seated' gig......and yea, the crowd was excellent! :)

as stated, GA packs you in and adds to the frenzy. the seated gigs, no one actually sits, just gives you your own personal space. people rock out too, but it simply doesn't look/feel as crazy...and yea, you don't have to queue all day for your spot. i waiting from 9am onwards to secure my spot right on the rail in front of mr. mike mccready in dusseldorf, totally worth it, but yea i was on holiday and could do so. i have a crap 10c #, but if i travel a bit at home still can do decently, and sure....i also was lucky to be at the irving plaza gig, a rare NY GA show. :)

thing is, there are positives and negatives to both and pj will do what they want. you can thank the lack of available seating at gigs as to why after rockskilde europe had to wait 6 years to see the boys. i think they finally realized they were alienating a good portion of their fanbase simply b/c there isn't gigspace in europe that's not GA, whereas here in the states it's the norm in larger venues.

anyhoo...i've seen north and south americans, europeans, etc at almost all gigs around the world i've been to, and we all can and do rock out. diehards are at ALL the gigs, GA just makes it easier to spot b/c they queue and get the front....but i will say there are plenty who are relaxed about it elsewhere too, i saw plenty of folks not going nuts at almost every pj gig i've been to, in every country....and plenty who have a blast...so whateva.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    funny, they played it FIRST in east rutherford, new jersey this past tour.....a 'seated' gig......and yea, the crowd was excellent! :)

because it was on the setlist ! In d'dorf it was an audience demand
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Yeah, I picked up on this thing from watching TB2000-I drank some beer before the gig in Madrid with an American fan and pointed it out-I mean the crowds seem very relaxed.I was at the Cardiff show in 2000, against the front rail-and I tell you that place nearly exploded that night, the crowd was so revved.It was such a crush that I didn't last the entire show against the bar, got dragged over about 4 songs from the end.It was the most excited I ever saw six thousand people in my life-and the swines have never even been back!! Mind, Ed's friend got a wallet stolen in the city centre the day before-so he was upset a bit over that.But yes, the US crowds do seem more reserved-even on the garden dvd you can see it.JUK
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    luxpjamer wrote:
    because it was on the setlist ! In d'dorf it was an audience demand

first of all, it was humor.........:p secondly, you don't think the band can see signs from fans at an assigned seating gig? they can, they do, and sometimes....just like in dusseldorf, they play what a fan requests. my point was simply, one does not need to be at a GA show to get a request seen by the band, that's all. hell, i got a request to the band by other means entirely, and it was honored as well.

bottomline, GA, assigned seating, whatever...there are PLENTY of crazy, diehard fans at all pearl jam shows. even those who may not 'show' it in the same way as others...doesn't mean they don't love the music just as much.....and it's just a difference experience having your own personal space or being crammed together, etc....each has pros/cons....

i enjoy GA shows, i enjoy assigned seating shows....it's all good, as long as i get to see live pj. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Yeah, I picked up on this thing from watching TB2000-I drank some beer before the gig in Madrid with an American fan and pointed it out-I mean the crowds seem very relaxed.I was at the Cardiff show in 2000, against the front rail-and I tell you that place nearly exploded that night, the crowd was so revved.It was such a crush that I didn't last the entire show against the bar, got dragged over about 4 songs from the end.It was the most excited I ever saw six thousand people in my life-and the swines have never even been back!! Mind, Ed's friend got a wallet stolen in the city centre the day before-so he was upset a bit over that.But yes, the US crowds do seem more reserved-even on the garden dvd you can see it.JUK

And the 2 MSG shows were the best 2 shows of the whole tour. The famous 9/11/98 MSG show was GA, and that absolutely NUTS if you watch the DVD of it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    i enjoy GA shows, i enjoy assigned seating shows....it's all good, as long as i get to see live pj. :)

Let's end the discussion with this bit of wisdom.

I've been to both assigned seating and GA standing. Everything has pro's and contra's. The crowd in Kitchener still beats any Euro crowd I've been part of. :)