Options

Get off your asses US audiences!

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Just got back from London and Im still hurting from rockin so hard at Wembley.....To help with my post show blues I watched Touring Band last night with my wife, who attended the show with me for the first time, she was rather impressed. Anyway, as we were watching, she kept asking why does Pearl Jam even tours the US anymore, "the crowd doesnt even look into it" and that was 7 years ago! I couldnt agree more.....next time the boys are in the states lets show em some love and treat them the way they deserve to be treated. Thanks to everyone that was at the Wembley show, you made me feel young again!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    likeherodlikeherod Posts: 8
    edit.
    copenhagen 26/6 2007
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    My sig says it all (not the little voices part!) :D
  • Options
    That is something that everybody notices. I don't know if that happens because you guys in the US have much more shows that we have here in Europe, but almost every band that plays in Portugal tells us we are a great great audience.

You should do what's written on the subject of this thread ;)
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I was just recently acquainted with the boot of the April 1994 show I saw at the Orpheum in Boston ... which is by far the most ridiculously amazing PJ show I've ever been to ... last show of the tour, they played forever, pulled out all the rarities ...

And there it is ... at the lead into "Fuckin' Up" ... Ed **screaming** at the top of his lungs for the "fuckers in the balcony" to get up or get out ...

And I'm thinking that's the most excited I've been at any PJ show ... (I was on the floor and acting like an idiot by the way). Who the hell was sitting????

edit ... should be noted I was in Germany in June, in the 10c seats, and there were a few folks sitting, very few, but most were going nuts.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    The 2000 US tour was a dark time for the band and kind of weird for the fans as well. I don't think the guys were ready for rowdy crowds after what just happened.
    However, in San Diego at least, I thought the floor did a pretty good job of showing the guys love.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    ive never sat for a single minute
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    How can you sit at a Pearl Jam show?
    Okay--edit---Mother's Day gift for my mom last year was to Chicago1--she's in her 60's and only sat down twice!
    "I'm afraid of Americans" David Bowie
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    bgirl59 wrote:
    How can you sit at a Pearl Jam show?
    Okay--edit---Mother's Day gift for my mom last year was to Chicago1--she's in her 60's and only sat down twice!
    "I'm afraid of Americans" David Bowie

beats the shit out of me
  • Options
    simplemansimpleman Posts: 425
    jimed14 wrote:
    I was just recently acquainted with the boot of the April 1994 show I saw at the Orpheum in Boston ... which is by far the most ridiculously amazing PJ show I've ever been to ... last show of the tour, they played forever, pulled out all the rarities ...

And there it is ... at the lead into "Fuckin' Up" ... Ed **screaming** at the top of his lungs for the "fuckers in the balcony" to get up or get out ...

And I'm thinking that's the most excited I've been at any PJ show ... (I was on the floor and acting like an idiot by the way). Who the hell was sitting????

edit ... should be noted I was in Germany in June, in the 10c seats, and there were a few folks sitting, very few, but most were going nuts.
    I also was there, and your right about Ed saying that, but you may want to check your set list as far as "playing for ever".
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I agree American audiences suck; The gorge audiences were pretty good because so many 10 clubbers were there. When I see European footage I get very jealous
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Sorry and South American and Mexican audiences as well
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I was having this discussion last night with a few people about how I am a bit disappointed in the crowds at some of the shows I've seen. With the exception of maybe one show (Cincinnati 06), most of the shows I've attended the crowds just suck. I actually had beer thrown on me in Atlanta in 2000 b/c I was standing up.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    I was having this discussion last night with a few people about how I am a bit disappointed in the crowds at some of the shows I've seen. With the exception of maybe one show (Cincinnati 06), most of the shows I've attended the crowds just suck. I actually had beer thrown on me in Atlanta in 2000 b/c I was standing up.

i think canadian fans are a little more animated than the american ones. maybe because of the number of shows. but some cities have exceptions like ny, boston etc.. the grand rapids show was incredible for its energy last year. that was only because they fucked up the 10club seating and let fans up close who would never of had the chance. also because the setlist was awesome. maybe they should try something like this in the future? who knows.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    thats because our shows arent ga and cause were in too much of an awe in seeing one of the greatest bands ever
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    kiddjarkiddjar Posts: 4
    My fiance and I were at the Washington D.C. show in May '06 and everybody stood after Ed sang the first song right before My Morning Jacket opened up. We never sat down, and that crowd flowed together all night. That was my fiance's first PJ show and she certainly wasn't a fan at the beginning of the show. But when PJ opened with 'Release', her feelings changed then and there. She's a fan forever now, just like all of us. They rocked from the first song until the very last, when Mike ended with the 'Star Spangled Banner' after 'Yellow Ledbetter.' That show had a verve neither of us has ever felt at any concert; the crowd was into it.
  • Options
    sometimes u get relaxed average fans in certainnplaces

fact of the matter is im sure everyone on this board is up and dancing

kcuf the rest
  • Options
    Bwalker545Bwalker545 Posts: 162
    Its been said...our shows are not GA most of the time...and these old farts that have been in 10C since the begining have all front seats with their walkers and wheel chairs....
    Just kidding guys...dont kill me!
    "Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table: 2+2=5" 1984
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Same
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    simpleman wrote:
    I also was there, and your right about Ed saying that, but you may want to check your set list as far as "playing for ever".

well, you look at a set list *now*, and well, after what 8 proper studio albums and countless other releases, yeah, not a long set ... but this was at the end of the tour for their SECOND album ... 25 songs, that sure did seem like a long effin' set!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jimed14 wrote:
    well, you look at a set list *now*, and well, after what 8 proper studio albums and countless other releases, yeah, not a long set ... but this was at the end of the tour for their SECOND album ... 25 songs, that sure did seem like a long effin' set!

it was a joke... he was suggesting PJ dont have a song called "forever"

i.e. they played forever... did they? i didnt even know they had a song called 'forever'
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    TelomereTelomere Posts: 39
    Not to get all scientific, but…

Europe has a population of ~ 730 million people, while North America has a population of ~ 330 million. There were 23 shows in Europe last summer, and 13 this summer. There were 42 shows in the USA and Canada in 2006 alone. Adjusting for population, A 92 show European tour would be required to normalize the number of PJ shows per person vs. the 42 show 2006 USA tour. This doesn’t take into account the 2005 Canadian tour, the 2004 vote for change tour, and the 2003 riot act tour, etc. If we counted up all the shows in North America since the last time PJ played Europe in 2000, and then normalized that number would be much larger than 92.

Assuming the number of big PJ fans per capita remains constant between Europe and North America, there is going to much less opportunity for European PJ fans to see the band. This would surely mean that a greater amount of the die hard fans are going to the European shows and thus they are so much more intense. In Australia, the crowds at the 4 shows I saw in 2006 ranged from great (Sydney #3) to terrible (Sydney #2). But considering there are only 20 million people total in Australia, it is amazing to think that the band was actually able to play a 12 show tour.

With all this being said, I AM INCREDIBLY JEALOUS of all the European fans having the time of their lives right now, and I truly wish that I would be there. For the lucky ones who get tickets, enjoy it.

I guess the question is -- would we North Americans be willing to trade a smaller total number of concerts, for greater crowd intensity?
    Portland 98; Charlotte 00; Greensboro 00; Raleigh 03; Bristow 03; Asheville 04; Toronto 05; Sydney x 3 06; Newcastle 06; San Diego 09
  • Options
    Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348
    I was thinking about this the other day.

I went to Wembley last week and would've gone to more gigs if I'd had the money. Next US tour, I'll prob have some more money, so I thought "Maybe I can catch PJ in the US couple times, next time they tour".

And then I remembered the seats and the 10C number thing. I let mine expire once (d'oh!) so my number is 314xxx. I'm used to queuing for ages to get to the front and would be disappointed to have to sit somehere 'far away'.

Then again, PJ is PJ :D
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Options
    No need to be scientific... It has a lot to do with GA and how Europeans are! :D
  • Options
    Riot_Rain wrote:
    Next US tour, I'll prob have some more money, so I thought "Maybe I can catch PJ in the US couple times, next time they tour".
    Save your money... they'll be back here sooner rather than later! Then follow them around Europe! :D
  • Options
    Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348
    redrock wrote:
    Save your money... they'll be back here sooner rather than later! Then follow them around Europe! :D

:D Can't wait! :D

I'll be in Vienna then, much closer to Italy ;) Although, you'll see that they'll do 5 gigs in the UK then! Hehehe!
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Options
    alesekalesek Posts: 809
    Sorry for my ignorance but saw those seats on the floor during Pink Floyd show somewhere in USA on TV the other day but IS THIS HOW IT IS EVEN DURING A PEARL JAM CONCERT?? Really ?
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with population, and it has nothing to do with being more in awe than anyone else. We are fortunate to have GA shows, and when packed like sardines the atmosphere is a hundred times more intense. Plus, football culture has a lot to do with it, maybe not so much in the UK but in South America, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany etc, chants and ole's come as standard.

Listen to the Ottawa 05 bootleg. If Europeans had been treated to a setlist like that, they'd be going crazy. That audience should be ashamed-they barely clap between songs. It may as well have been recorded at the soundcheck.

And apart from RITFW at the end, the audiences featured on the Touring Band DVD are among the most placid I've ever seen.
  • Options
    24veddie24veddie Posts: 267
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    sometimes u get relaxed average fans in certainnplaces

fact of the matter is im sure everyone on this board is up and dancing

kcuf the rest

true enough.
  • Options
    24veddie wrote:
    true enough.

i mean thats all their is to say right??
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    It's unfortunate, really. I am sure that everyone on this board, in some way or another, goes crazy when the band is on stage. I just get bummed when I am in a crowd that doesn't give it its' all. Of course, I've seen many shows in Atlanta, and most of the crowds in Atlanta...well, excuse me for saying, suck, and while I was upset that they didn't come to the South in 06, it did give me the opportunity to travel to another place where the crowd was into it all night long. This is the reason why I am travelling from here on out. I love high energy crowds and feed off of that energy.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks