RIP Prince

Comments

• SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    RIP, people are dropping like flys. It's crazy.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    KEXP is also playing Prince today.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • good call, i remember the foos doing that one.

Crazy rumor about that...Prince was upset that they recorded his song so as payback he covered Best of You during the Super Bowl halftime show. Here's what Taylor Hawkins said about it...

“Dude, I have no idea why he did it, but I’d love to find out,” Hawkins laughed. “I mean, the thought went through my head that maybe he was doing it as a sort of ’F— you’ to us, or maybe he really likes the song. Either way, it was pretty amazing to have a guy like Prince covering one of our songs — and actually doing it better than we did.”

Full article heremtv.com/news/1551990/foo-fighters-have-no-idea-why-prince-covered-their-song-at-super-bowl/
    mrussel1 said:

camsjam said:

wonder which prince song they'll cover tonight? image

Purple Rain? Cream? 1999? When Doves Cry?

Delirious would be fun.
    Darling Nikki.

Guaranteed..
    That would be something to see. Remember when those fuckstains Al & Tipper Gore branded Prince public enemy #1 because of this song, and started the PMRC? On a day I mourn Prince's passing, I can't help but remember those self-righteous pricks who tried to limit his artistry.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,373
    jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

camsjam said:

Delirious would be fun.
    Darling Nikki.

Guaranteed..
    That would be something to see. Remember when those fuckstains Al & Tipper Gore branded Prince public enemy #1 because of this song, and started the PMRC? On a day I mourn Prince's passing, I can't help but remember those self-righteous pricks who tried to limit his artistry.
    I do remember that, and not just about Prince. I like Al Gore overall. I'm not sure why they chose that cause but it really sucked when they were trying to censor music. I don't mind teh labels and I think that's where they landed, or it landed.
    mrussel1 said:

jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:

camsjam said:

Delirious would be fun.
    Darling Nikki.

Guaranteed..
    I do remember that, and not just about Prince. I like Al Gore overall. I'm not sure why they chose that cause but it really sucked when they were trying to censor music. I don't mind teh labels and I think that's where they landed, or it landed.
    Darling Nikki landed the #1 spot on their Filthy Fifteen list, so it has that going for it! I didn't mind the explicit stickers, except it affected distribution (some places wouldn't put out explicit albums). And I'm generally opposed to government limiting speech, so couldn't get behind them and their congressional hearings. .
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

KV4053 said:
    Damn! And I like how he just tossed the guitar and strutted the f^ck off stage like he was saying...now that's how it's done bitches!

RIP to another great loss!
    That solo is so fucking money. He really was a monster on the guitar.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Aw man. Prince was awesome. This really sucks. I hope PJ does a cover in Lexington too.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2016
    As a native born Minnesotan and a long time resident of the Twin Cities, I can say that today is a real bummer. We lost one of our own. Prince's impact here is/was/and will always be a major force and influence in this community. i never got the chance to see him perform in person, but I've had my random Prince spotting moments over the years (a perk of living here) and consider First Avenue to one of my favorite places on earth and have spent countless nights there. There's something very special about walking into the place.

Bob Mould, who we claim as one of us here in Twin Cities, just posted a fantastic message on FB. The last part of it sums up what Prince meant to this area nicely:

"I'm two blocks from First Avenue as I write these words. Friday and Saturday nights, I will walk that same stage we all know from the movie. The exterior walls of First Avenue are covered with stars to honor the musicians who made an impact on music fans in Minnesota.

Make no mistake: Prince was the brightest star in these Northern skies."

Thanks Mr. Nelson. Pancakes forever.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Always thought Black was influenced by Purple Rain
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    What does pancakes forever mean?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    edited April 2016
    KV4053 said:

I think it's a reference to Prince's smooth flip-the-script (or at least the original Chapelle skit):

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/prince-uses-dave-chappelle-photo-on-cover-of-new-single-breakfast-can-wait-2013208

Dave Chappelle's funny response was something like, "what am I going to do, sue him for using a picture of me dressed as him?"
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Very sad.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    I bought 1999 on cassette, when I was ten years old. I've been a huge fan ever since.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • there's an awesome video of him playing guitar on
    (while my guitar gently weeps)
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888

Some years ago Eric Clapton was asked how it felt to be the worlds greatest guitarist.

His response " I don't know. Ask Prince"

Indeed
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    Anastesthia come to me, talk to me, liberate my mind...

How these words formed my teenage mind...
  • marjenmarjen Posts: 807
    Terrible news. The man was a musical genius. I really kinda stopped listening to him post Around the World in a Day. Remember clearing wearing out my 1999 and Purple Rain cassette tapes in my early teen years. His solo in Purple Rain has to be one of the most brilliant of all time, so emotional. RIP Prince.
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,032

Posted this on the other thread

http://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Just wow. RIP Prince.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,549

Posted this on the other thread

http://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Just wow. RIP Prince.
    I honestly don't think it's hyperbole to say this because he just died.

I really think it's the best ever. At least best I've seen.

So effortless and powerful equally. At one point Tom Petty looks floored.
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    saw him in 1984 purple rain tour. that was one hell of a show. of of my top 10 of all time for me and i've been going to shows since 73'. it was a performance you couldn't forget. very sad to lose another great.
  • So sad today...just got to see him once and so glad Sheila E. was there too. I could see PJ pulling off Sign O the Times, or When Doves Cry, or heck my namesake song-that one rocks. I hoped this day wouldn't come for a long time..but he did the guitar solo for While My Guitar Gently Weeps the way I always envisioned it should be-I thought it should have been like that, and then he did it. All the love for him.
    I'm the Peachmeister!

2003-Albany, Mansfield I, Camden I, MSG I
    2006-Hartford
    2008-Mansfield II
    EV NYC I +II
    2009-EV Philly
    2010-MSG I + II
    2013-Worchester
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,373

KV4053 said:

I think it's a reference to Prince's smooth flip-the-script (or at least the original Chapelle skit):

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/prince-uses-dave-chappelle-photo-on-cover-of-new-single-breakfast-can-wait-2013208

Dave Chappelle's funny response was something like, "what am I going to do, sue him for using a picture of me dressed as him?"
    Dave said... That's some Prince judo right there. You make fun of him and he uses it on his album cover.

What a great skit.
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    edited April 2016
    It sux he's not seeing all these tributes to himself on the net. google, drudgereport, etc.
    Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    dusted off Purple Rain, still in the original shrink wrap, $7.97 from k-mart, still sounds splendid on the wax. Prince was amazing
  • PapPap Posts: 28,764
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61XdPtGMErs&feature=youtu.be

Prince’s music is the soundtrack to the soulful and beautiful universe he created, and we have all been privileged to be part of that amazing world. I performed his song "Nothing Compares 2 U" for the first time a couple months ago. It has a timeless relevance for me and practically everyone I know. Sadly, now his own lyrics in this song could not be more relevant than at this moment, and I sing them now in reverence as I pay tribute to this unequaled artist who has given all of our lives so much inspiration and made the world so much more interesting. We will miss you Prince!!! ~ Chris Cornell
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    The Columbia, SC recap mentioned several tribute moments for Prince.
    I'm so happy someone posted videos of a couple of them:

Eddie talking about Prince:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YwPk-QVcck

Yellow Ledbetter w/ Purple Rain:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y22jyze8IPs

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,541
    just listening to The Truth right now. I really missed the boat on this guy. I really should have gone to see him when he was here. Plus he did a DJ set across the street from the venue after the show till about 2am. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    just listening to The Truth right now. I really missed the boat on this guy. I really should have gone to see him when he was here. Plus he did a DJ set across the street from the venue after the show till about 2am. 
    Prince was so cool! It's good for us to be reminded that you can miss someone without it being an anniversary of some kind. I was just reading a Toni Morrison quote and missing her something awful.
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,514
    mrussel1 said:
    What a bummer. I am sure Pearl Jam will play something in his honor tonight. I wonder what song of his they would choose....
    Can Ed pull off "Kiss"?
    STONE FTW!