They've opened Pandora's box

HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 532
edited April 2016 in The Porch
Cancel Raleigh where will end? And what does that say when you cancel one show but injustice is everywhere in every city, state and country. People are bringing up Lexington and Chicago and Louisiana among others. How can the band take a stand in one area but not in others? Believe me, I don't want them to cancel other shows but they're setting a bad precedent by canceling

Comments

• tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,694
    You are dead wrong. This is not a money hungry pop group.. They are standing up and making their voices heard, trying to make a difference as they always have. As frustrating as it is for fans that had tickets to this show, we have to see the bigger picture here.. And human rights are more important. Good for these guys to make this difficult decision..
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • tinz. said:

You are dead wrong. This is not a money hungry pop group.. They are standing up and making their voices heard, trying to make a difference as they always have. As frustrating as it is for fans that had tickets to this show, we have to see the bigger picture here.. And human rights are more important. Good for these guys to make this difficult decision..

Agree but these issues exist in every city they play in
    2016 Columbia, SC
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,811
    true, but there is a wave of momentum in getting these Anti-LGBT bills changed or veto'd. It's easier to add to the momentum than trying to start new movements.
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    Lots of default Vanilla icons on here today.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    edited April 2016
    Cancelling a concert isn't gonna stop gun violence in Chicago. cancelling a concert and adding attention to an issue can make people mad about discrimination can change governments minds. Some stuff is easier to change than other. And they think it can help here.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    tinz. said:

Too bad their voice came from being a band that plays concerts. Retire and become politicians or play concerts. Pick one PJ!
    Because politics and music has never been intertwined. Ever.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Take a stand though your music, not your silence.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854

true, but there is a wave of momentum in getting these Anti-LGBT bills changed or veto'd. It's easier to add to the momentum than trying to start new movements.

In other words, it's easier to be followers than leaders.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 832

Riding Bruce's coattails....
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,765
    Did Ed mention anti lgbt laws that exist in FL at any of those 4 shows?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • true, but there is a wave of momentum in getting these Anti-LGBT bills changed or veto'd. It's easier to add to the momentum than trying to start new movements.

you're just frustrated. the value of this sort of momentum is undeniable
    "Event cancellations due to HB2 quadruple economic losses"

I'm not frustrated at all. I wasn't planning on attending the NC show. But I feel if Bruce Springsteen doesn't cancel, then they don't. That's following.

They're good at leading musically (i.e. beginning the trend of bands releasing every live show). Gotta give them that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • true, but there is a wave of momentum in getting these Anti-LGBT bills changed or veto'd. It's easier to add to the momentum than trying to start new movements.

I'm not frustrated at all. I wasn't planning on attending the NC show. But I feel if Bruce Springsteen doesn't cancel, then they don't. That's following.

They're good at leading musically (i.e. beginning the trend of bands releasing every live show). Gotta give them that.
    So then you understand the value of what they're doing, and would understand that it's not following, it's solidarity.
  • serpent boyserpent boy Posts: 372
    If Pearl Jam is going to cancel a show to protest unfair treatment of the LGBTQA community, they should go all out and cancel in other states where similar inequalities exist. NC is far from the worst offender.

I HOPE for all the fans sake that they don't cancel any other shows, but if they're going to stand up for an issue, make it consistent and make your voices REALLY heard.
    00: Va Beach, 03: Bristow, 04: Reading, 05: Atlantic City 2x
    06: Camden, Washington DC, 08: Va Beach, Washington DC
    09: Philly 2+3, 10: Bristow, 11: East Troy PJ20 1+2, 13: Baltimore, Charlottesville
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

If Pearl Jam is going to cancel a show to protest unfair treatment of the LGBTQA community, they should go all out and cancel in other states where similar inequalities exist. NC is far from the worst offender.

Which one is the worst offender, would you say?

Who knows, maybe they will cancel other shows. I'd be disappointed of course if it was one of mine, but I would understand. Maybe if everyone makes a little more effort we can stamp out this sort of discrimination and then PJ won't want or feel the need to cancel shows to get peoples' attention. it is easy to sit back and not like things - it is harder to take more action, and I'm sure PJ is hoping that this disappointment will spur people to be a little more active in some way.

R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569

I would say a boycott, by definition, requires following. I don't think any boycott has ever been successful anywhere without hordes of people "following" the instigators.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 532

I think it does punish North Carolinians.

Pitchfork op-ed on the harm this does:
    http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1106-op-ed-north-carolinas-transgender-fight-needs-musicians-to-show-up/

JaneNY said:

Who knows, maybe they will cancel other shows. I'd be disappointed of course if it was one of mine, but I would understand. Maybe if everyone makes a little more effort we can stamp out this sort of discrimination and then PJ won't want or feel the need to cancel shows to get peoples' attention. it is easy to sit back and not like things - it is harder to take more action, and I'm sure PJ is hoping that this disappointment will spur people to be a little more active in some way.

Florida has pretty bad lgbt laws and they had no problem playing there on this tour. Neither did Bruce.
  • Eddie's comments last night that "we just couldn't find it in ourselves in good conscience to cross a picket line" makes it even more obvious that they are just following Bruce's lead. If Bruce didn't cancel PJ would not have cancelled either.
    I guess Buffett, Against Me!, Mumford and Sons, Cydi Lauper, Louie CK and many others crossed that picket line. That comment annoys me. Am I crossing a picket line by traveling to Raleigh tomorrow because they didn't give me enough time to change my flight?
  • Eddie's comments last night that "we just couldn't find it in ourselves in good conscience to cross a picket line" makes it even more obvious that they are just following Bruce's lead. If Bruce didn't cancel PJ would not have cancelled either.

I pretty much agree with you
    2016 Columbia, SC
    ComeToTX said:

JaneNY said:

Florida has pretty bad lgbt laws and they had no problem playing there on this tour. Neither did Bruce.
    Florida's laws aren't trending right now.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I guess its kind of like us. We pick and choose when we take a stand. I still grocery shop at target and walmart vs the local place because it saves me a ton of $$. I wear Nikes despite the sweatshops. Etc.

Not an easy situation either way. I see everyones point.
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    Links to Florida's "bad" LGBT laws? Because I keep seeing that posted and it sounds like a repeated talking point with no basis in reality. I'll apologize when someone drops a link that shows Florida has state mandated discrimination on the books. Thanks.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,185

Because politics and music has never been intertwined. Ever.

I think Pete Seger said that?
    choop said:

Links to Florida's "bad" LGBT laws? Because I keep seeing that posted and it sounds like a repeated talking point with no basis in reality. I'll apologize when someone drops a link that shows Florida has state mandated discrimination on the books. Thanks.

Throughout most of Florida, it is legal to fire someone or deny them access to housing or public accommodations because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). While it is illegal to discriminate in employment, housing and public accommodations based race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap or marital status, the LGBT community is currently left out of statewide non-discrimination protections.
    http://www.eqfl.org/Discrimination
  • choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    ComeToTX said:

choop said:

Throughout most of Florida, it is legal to fire someone or deny them access to housing or public accommodations because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT). While it is illegal to discriminate in employment, housing and public accommodations based race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap or marital status, the LGBT community is currently left out of statewide non-discrimination protections.
    http://www.eqfl.org/Discrimination
    Did you even read the link you posted:
    -Since 2004, Equality Florida has been working to pass a statewide bill that would include the LGBT community into current non-discrimination laws.
    AND
    -In fact, over 53% of Floridians live in a place that protects them from discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.

So there has been progress in over half the state in 12 years. Not amazing, but not terrible, and not a step in the wrong direction like the NC law. This is a new law just added to the books. FL residents who have become activists have made tremendous progress updating the existing laws.

Much, much different animal here. There is no law in FL that blatantly discriminates like HB2.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    ComeToTX said:

I guess Buffett, Against Me!, Mumford and Sons, Cydi Lauper, Louie CK and many others crossed that picket line. That comment annoys me. Am I crossing a picket line by traveling to Raleigh tomorrow because they didn't give me enough time to change my flight?

That picket line only exists in Ed's brain. There is no picket line. There are multiple, valid ways of fighting against this law as evidenced by the artists you mentioned. Ed did what he wanted (or what Bruce wanted him to do). It wasn't like the band had no other option. But regardless, the problem to me is less about the decision to cancel (which I ultimately support), and much more about how the timing fucked the fans. The haves fucked over the have nots once again.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    edited April 2016
    jeffbr said:

ComeToTX said:

That picket line only exists in Ed's brain. There is no picket line. There are multiple, valid ways of fighting against this law as evidenced by the artists you mentioned. Ed did what he wanted (or what Bruce wanted him to do). It wasn't like the band had no other option. But regardless, the problem to me is less about the decision to cancel (which I ultimately support), and much more about how the timing fucked the fans. The haves fucked over the have nots once again.
    Here's a partial list of companies/artists besides Pearl Jam who have boycotted North Carolina so far:

Ringo Starr
    Bryan Adams
    Deutsche Bank
    PayPal
    Bruce Springsteen
    Michael Moore
    xHamster
    Joel McHale
    General Electric
    the Dow Chemical Company
    Pepsi
    Hyatt
    Hewlett Packard
    Choice Hotels International
    Whole Foods
    Levis Strauss & Co.
    Lionsgate
    Boston
    Cirque du Soleil

Sorry, but that's a picket line, and it's growing every day. Kudos to the band for understanding that the power to invoke change lies in numbers, and that a boycott only works if people/groups are willing to sacrifice and make unpopular decisions in order to achieve the end goal.
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus