My letter to Gov McRory

2»

Comments

• Vedd Hedd said:

Bumping for the post with the picture, so people understand.

I don't get it, is that dude in the cowboy hat a woman or something?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • I don't care that a gay dude who likes other gay dues I work with stands next to me at the urinal, so why would I give a shit if a transman was standing next to me?

if a male pedophile wants to go to the lengths of dressing up as a woman to get to your/my daughters, they would do it regardless of any stupid law or the absence of it.

This x1000. Do people really think rapists and pedophiles are staying out of certain rooms because of the sign on the door?
    2013: Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG I, MSG II, Fenway I, Fenway II
    2018: Fenway I, Fenway II
  • "What's a Pearl Jam?" --Governor McRory

Listen every single parent worries about their kids going into a public bathroom by themselves, no matter what their ages. You either go with them or when that's not possible, you teach them that if something doesn't look right, they leave immediately.

There has always been a fear of harm being done in bathrooms that existed before and after this law and it's NOT because of transgendered people. This is just discrimination.

I think people should go live in India or somewhere in Africa for a month. Use the bathrooms. Then come back and tell us all how there is something wrong with the bathrooms in America that we need to make laws over who can/can't use which ones.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,467

I don't care that a gay dude who likes other gay dues I work with stands next to me at the urinal, so why would I give a shit if a transman was standing next to me?

if a male pedophile wants to go to the lengths of dressing up as a woman to get to your/my daughters, they would do it regardless of any stupid law or the absence of it.

This x1000. Do people really think rapists and pedophiles are staying out of certain rooms because of the sign on the door?
    As someone who used to work with sex offender reintegration programs, I will tell you this; your children are at a much greater risk of being abused/molested by someone they know than by a stranger in a bathroom. Yes, it can happen. One of the most disturbing cases I worked with involved a man luring and molesting boys in a truck stop restroom. He was an Ivy League educated person who worn suits and had a professional job. I guess we should also ban highly educated, suit wearing professionals from using bathrooms as well?!?
  • jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169

Vedd Hedd said:

He is a trans man, who under this law would be forced to use the female restroom because he was assigned a female gender designation on his birth certificate.
  • jeffwalsh said:

Vedd Hedd said:

He is a trans man, who under this law would be forced to use the female restroom because he was assigned a female gender designation on his birth certificate.
    Shits too fuckin weird for me. Why doesn't he get the designation on his birth certificate changed then?
  • jjheel13jjheel13 Posts: 229
    Off topic but this is a letter someone sent when Springsteen cancelled. It has really stuck with me.

------------
    I'm pissed. I was very much looking forward to seeing my all-time favorite performer, Bruce Springsteen, and his legendary E Street Band in Greensboro tonight. As I'm sure you've heard that show has been cancelled by Springsteen in response to HB2, the legislation you called for and signed into law without debate late last month. What you and so many insist on calling the Bathroom Bill has far reaching implications to all NC citizens, and yet you seem to be oblivious or unconcerned about this fact. You paint a picture of sinister bathroom behavior where there is none and ignore the blatant elimination of civil rights to the people of North Carolina. The shame you have brought to this beautiful state is immense, and the impact your decision has had and will continue to have will be measured in loss of revenue, jobs, opportunity, and identity.

But if you think I’m mad about Bruce Springsteen canceling his show — about not joining 23,000 fellow fans in Greensboro a few hours ahead of time to eat and drink and have a good time, watching the show as a communal force, inspired by the music and the words; about the lost revenue for the city, the coliseum workers, the downtown businesses, etc. etc. etc. — if you think that's what is in my craw, then you have once again mistaken the issues at hand. I'm mad at you, Governor, for removing rights from the people of your state, for disrespecting and disparaging our brothers and sisters in the LGBT community, and for caving to the worst impulses of your political party. Shame on you. I am proud to call myself a fan of Bruce Springsteen, more so today than yesterday, if that is even possible.

Tonight I'll be at home not spending my money in the marketplace. Hopefully, I’ll find some time to listen to The River, and then at some point I will try to explain to my son why my plans were cancelled. I’ll tell him that some men live in fear, spending their nights trying to hold others back, while others shine a light on those dark deeds. I'll tell him that we stand with the light; I'll tell him that nobody wins unless everybody wins."
    Bristow 10
    Boston 10
    Moline 14
    Greenville 16
    Hampton 16
    Columbia 16

Shits too fuckin weird for me. Why doesn't he get the designation on his birth certificate changed then?

That varies from state to state, many of which require gender confirmation surgery, which not all trans people want or can afford. He just wants to go into a men's room and use a stall, why do we need to get all "Und verr are your paperz?!"
  • jeffwalsh said:

That varies from state to state, many of which require gender confirmation surgery, which not all trans people want or can afford. He just wants to go into a men's room and use a stall, why do we need to get all "Und verr are your paperz?!"
    Oh hes a dude who wants to use a men's room? Then that makes sense. I thought the bearded guy was a woman who's not allowed to use the women's room- I was saying then she should just get his/her designation changed because that's a bit freaky and people might feel a bit nervous about him in a girls room
    Yes. He's a trans dude who wants and does use a men's room typically. But under NC law, he should be using a women's room now, and is actually breaking the law if he doesn't.
  • jeffwalsh said:

Yes. He's a trans dude who wants and does use a men's room typically. But under NC law, he should be using a women's room now, and is actually breaking the law if he doesn't.

Ahhhhh I finally get it. Yeah that's fucked, he should be able to do what feels right to him.
  • I would love to hear about the Governor's office reply
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020

I would love to hear about the Governor's office reply

Watch his appearance on Meet the Press last weekend. Pretty much just says that there are plenty of other states doing the same thing. And that there has been a men's room and a woman's room for a long time now and it's worked out just fine, so why change it?