*** Greenville, SC Fanviews Here 4/16/16 ***

124678

Comments

  • zj229377zj229377 charleston SCPosts: 14
    SC is a beautiful state, with vistas upstate and glassy swells in the Lowcountry. The past 12 months have been a tough stretch for the state of SC. The massacre of 9 beautiful souls in the Mother Emmanuel AME Church was a cold chill of horror during the humid summer here in my home area of Charleston. Neighbors held strangers who cried on their shoulder. Thousands marched a bridge, in unison, in remembrance and in defiance. The 150 yr flooding last fall smothered and ruined lives all over the state, destroyed parts of Columbia in the process. Neighbors helped neighbors. Strangers helped newfound friends.

    Intended or not, what happened last night in Greenville was a 3 hour gift to the state of SC by the best band in the world and the best humanitarians in entertainment. Boiling intensity to the rafters, where no flood water can reach. A unified energy shared amongst 18k friends that drove low into the soul, where no bullet can penetrate. It was a gift. It was history. I found myself mumbling aloud, "Thank you" to the guys, knowing they couldn't possibly hear me.

    Yet something tells me they felt that message from everyone.
  • retroponyretropony Myrtle Beach SCPosts: 331
    zj229377 said:

    SC is a beautiful state, with vistas upstate and glassy swells in the Lowcountry. The past 12 months have been a tough stretch for the state of SC. The massacre of 9 beautiful souls in the Mother Emmanuel AME Church was a cold chill of horror during the humid summer here in my home area of Charleston. Neighbors held strangers who cried on their shoulder. Thousands marched a bridge, in unimmson, in remembrance and in defiance. The 150 yr flooding last fall smothered and ruined lives all over the state, destroyed parts of Columbia in the process. Neighbors helped neighbors. Strangers helped newfound friends.

    Intended or not, what happened last night in Greenville was a 3 hour gift to the state of SC by the best band in the world and the best humanitarians in entertainment. Boiling intensity to the rafters, where no flood water can reach. A unified energy shared amongst 18k friends that drove low into the soul, where no bullet can penetrate. It was a gift. It was history. I found myself mumbling aloud, "Thank you" to the guys, knowing they couldn't possibly hear me.

    Yet something tells me they felt that message from everyone.

    Well said right there, we'll said indeed....
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 69
    Amazing show! My wife and I were lucky enough to have been at both Moline and now Greenville. Once Glorified G got started it was a done deal, VS!!! Looking forward to Lexington with my son, then Wrigley 1&2.
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,368
    edited April 2016
    This weekend has been amazing! So much has happened in a short amount of time! All the friendly people, the beautiful scenery! The amazing show with so much energy...and I met Mike at the Great Falls park today!! My wife and I were down by the main waterfall. What a beatiful view! Well we were planning our next move and as we were walking I noticed this person. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked him over and said outloud, "That's Mike McCready!" He was talking to two other gentlemen. I waited and then he saw me and turned towards my wife and I. He then asked me the hardest question of my life. He said, "What's your name?" He could tell I was just speechless. The first thought in my head was to say my whole name but I got out just my first name and introduced my wife. I said I aporeciated all of the energy feom the bamd and himself and that we watched him run around the stage and jump into the GA pit. He said, "I'm a nut." He then saw my wife's shirt and commented on it. It was a shirt from the Horizon record store he visited yesterday and that we visited today. He said he almost got the shirt that she had on. My wife then said we almost got the one you had on yesterday. He mentioned not remembering where it was at. My wife then said that there's still plenty of shirts. He laughed. We said where we had come from for the show, Texas. He asked which part. I shook his hand, he quickly extended his hand. I said thank you for a great show and tild him thanks for allowing us to chat and I left saying I better let him get back to his day. Mike was so down to earth. He knew how to handle the situation because I froze like a little girl meeting Cinderella at Disney World. He didn't just say hi, he let me have a moment.
    It was so realistic and the fact we just ran into him was amazing. I am on cloud nine! I am so over joyed that I am borderline emotional. ....and in an odd way I kind of feel bad because here is a person checking out the sites and I am taking up part of his day. He has no clue, or maybe he does, how amazing it was to meet someone from my favorite band. It's a memory that will never fade. It's something I thought of but never believed would happen. I am truely fortunate!!
    Pictures to come...

    photo image_zpslaqypfr0.jpeg

    photo image_zpshgveapef.jpeg
    Post edited by moses562 on
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • badu2fanbadu2fan Posts: 69
    Moses that is so cool. The band stayed at out hotel last night and as we left today there were 3 SUV outside. I was told they are staying there for several days. Might be good spot to fly in out of for their southern leg. Funny part is we got upgraded to a suite on Friday night and then told we had to move as Saturday night Suite booked. It was on Executive level. Told wife maybe Eddie slept in her bed!!!!!! Folks meet band on Elevator after show.
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,152
    moses562 said:

    image
    image
    image

    Cool story man. What a beard!
    Six billions solitudes together alone

    Not a real fan
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,368
    badu2fan said:

    Moses that is so cool. The band stayed at out hotel last night and as we left today there were 3 SUV outside. I was told they are staying there for several days. Might be good spot to fly in out of for their southern leg. Funny part is we got upgraded to a suite on Friday night and then told we had to move as Saturday night Suite booked. It was on Executive level. Told wife maybe Eddie slept in her bed!!!!!! Folks meet band on Elevator after show.

    That's way cool!!
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,368
    edited April 2016
    Longueuil said:

    moses562 said:

    image
    image
    image

    Cool story man. What a beard!
    Haha...thanks n the beard! I have been pushing it to new limits this year. My wife and I are now at the Atlanta airport killing time for a flight. Great memories to grow old with!
    I am sure I could have asked for a proper picture but with being star struck by the all mighty McCready and really not wanting to bother the man I just had my moment and moved on.
    Post edited by moses562 on
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • KCjamKCjam Posts: 111
    I actually called Vs. in full for this show about one month ago. I posted it on one of the other Greenville threads last week. Just had a gut feeling about this one. And it was awesome!
  • athenssmileathenssmile Posts: 103
    moses562 said:

    T
    >

    I am afraid to ask, but what time were you at the park with Mike today? I was there today. I am hoping I wasn't there at the same time and missed him!

    well, fuckers, he still stands
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,081
    Dude! Good thing u had your PJ shirt on! Hard for Mike to resist your street cred.
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 349
    moses562 said:

    Longueuil said:

    moses562 said:

    image
    image
    image

    Cool story man. What a beard!
    Haha...thanks n the beard! I have been pushing it to new limits this year. My wife and I are now at the Atlanta airport killing time for a flight. Great memories to grow old with!
    I am sure I could have asked for a proper picture but with being star struck by the all mighty McCready and really not wanting to bother the man I just had my moment and moved on.
    I think the pics are great---showing the scenery and not the usual here's me with a famous person shots. Sounds perfect to me. I dunno if I could talk coherently if I ever ran into them.
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,339
    What a show...2 days later and I'm still processing what we saw Saturday night in Greenville. It seems that each show has been better than the last (disclaimer-I skipped Tampa).

    Vs in order. Killer energy. Mike in the pit right next to us. Fan freakin tastic. I'm wishing that I could've done Hampton, but will have to wait for Raleigh instead. I would imagine today and tomorrow, and especially Wednesday morning will not be very productive days at work for me.

    Hail hail the lucky ones who were in Greenville sat night.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

    Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • badu2fanbadu2fan Posts: 69
    I am glad I have a few days to rest my Glowing head to prepare for Raleigh. With all that is happening with the new law we might be in for a few surprises! Just grateful they didn't cancel. Fans first!!
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NCPosts: 187
    One of the best shows I've ever seen. Vs in full was such a treat. Loved getting some of the deeper tracks like Glorified G, WMA, & Rats. Sat in uppers in 218 but the crowd was great/energetic side stage on Mike's side. Just great vibes all around. Loved that we still got GTF after they called the amazing Nothingman audible. Can't say enough good things about this one. Just a great roadtrip with my best friend for his 26th bday. This will be my default old man story " We went to the Vs show in Gville"
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SCPosts: 4,389
    2 days later and still on a post show high! Was talking with the people next to us and mentioned that Blood was a song I'd really like to see live, so getting that with the rest of the album...fantastic! Not a big Pink Floyd fan, but I really enjoyed the cover. Thought we got a really powerful performance of Present Tense. One highlight that is special for me only was getting to see my wife pogoing to a couple of songs for the first time. She's only a so-so fan, likes some songs but doesn't know a lot of them. She really got into the show at times and I loved seeing it. She said that performance of Future Days has made that song an instant favorite of hers. I think she's already listened to it 20 time since the show. Can't wait for Columbia! Hope to see some of you there!
  • aubiejamaubiejam chelsea, alPosts: 95
    edited April 2016
    Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said about an amazing night. Just wanted to say a few thank you..

    Thank you to....
    1. City of Greenville... nice city, nice people, nice arena
    2. Ten Club... for the tickets
    3. The band... for an amazing show
    4. The people around us in the back of the pit were way cool. Had a great time. I got a little intoxicated so I hope I wasn't "that annoying drunk guy".
    5. Sticky Fingers... for a great lunch
    6. Sully's Steamers... had the clark griswold after the show. Probably the best thing I have ever eaten.

    Who knows if I will see them in concert again... But that was a great one if it was my last.

    EDIT: I also enjoyed my conversation in the boys room with the guy drunker than me wondering why they didn't play Crazy Mary because he thought it was on VS. Funny, good times.
    Post edited by aubiejam on
  • The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,090
    One of the greatest weekends of my life. A week before the show, my schedule cleared which allowed me to entertain the idea of going. My wife (10 club member), and best friend (also 10 club member) also wanted to go. We are so very lucky to find 3 10c member with extra GA. There was a little stress in driving 7 hours on the honor system, but the PJ fans are amazing people. All 3 came through and we all enjoyed this show about 5 or 6 people from Ed.

    When the reality kicked in that VS was being played in full, my eyes watered up a bit. What started as pure shock at what was transpiring, suddenly turned into a deep reflection back to my youth, when I was a kind of introverted kid who trusted no one in the real world, but would sit in front of tape deck putting all my trust into Ed's lyrics.

    The band sounded perfect all night long from where I was sitting. I was impressed with how good Swallowed Whole translated live. All of the LB songs sounded great, especially Future Days. Was nice to be able to share that moment with my wife.

    Only experience 2 real issues in the pit. There was a lady who showed up late and wanted to cut in front of everyone, but no one would let her. So every time someone had to go to the bathroom or to get a drink, when we would let them back to their spot that they waited outside for all day, she would start talking crap to us. At one point, she took our pictures and said she was going to post them on the forums because we would let some people through but not her lol. We never let anyone through that wasn't already there to begin with. The other issue was the idiot in the yellow shirt who decided to try and start a 1997 Pantera like mosh pit when Comatose kicked in. Well, I guess there was also a small issue at the beginning with me being "Tall Shamed", but I have been dealing with that my whole life. "I was the 6'8" bald dude with the "Pearl Effing Jam" shirt on.

    Morning after, we took a nice drive through the North Carolina/Tennessee mountains and made a stop in Gatlinburg on the way home. Great way to end a most perfect weekend. Was such an amazing thing meeting so many great fans of the band.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SCPosts: 4,389
    edited April 2016
    Akkus, did you make that shirt or buy it? I saw someone wearing a shirt that had "Pearl Effing Jam" on it, but he most definitely was not 6'8".
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,090
    I made the shirt. It actually said "Pearl Fucking Jam". I only typed "effing" earlier because I was on a work computer.

    But yeah, Im every bit of 6'8". Ask the folks behind me in the pit :)
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SCPosts: 4,389
    Just wondering. The one I saw actually said "effing" so definitely wasn't you!

    Lol had to edit my first post "effing autocorrect" :lol:
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,368

    moses562 said:

    T
    >

    I am afraid to ask, but what time were you at the park with Mike today? I was there today. I am hoping I wasn't there at the same time and missed him!

    I would say the time frame was about 2 or so.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • CapnBobCapnBob Lexington, SCPosts: 369
    The whole day was amazing, the great conversations that started at 9:30 AM in the merch line, the kids were with us, the Wishlist pre party, then we are treated to VS., still can't believe that and then during Yellow Ledbetter, Ed zoned in on me, pointed waved and called out "222" my section number and then waved one arm like I was then put his 2nd arm up, then I did to ensure that I was acknowledged ... my wife and kids couldn't believe... neither could I ... what a night!!!
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • jhinkle1114jhinkle1114 Posts: 206
    edited April 2016
    Best show I've ever attended by any band, and I go to a fair amount of concerts! Incredible energy from the band and crowd, amazing set list etc.! Vs. is my favorite album, so that was mind blowing.

    And to top it off, we ran into Mike in Falls Park the next morning and chatted for a couple of minutes. Incredible weekend! Must have ran into him right before or after the dude above.
    Post edited by jhinkle1114 on
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, DC
    2008: DC, Ed DC II
  • I really enjoyed this show and the town. Gorgeous day including a mountain bike ride over at DuPont state forest, some beers and food at smoke on the water (good service and food but hostess staff/mgt there seemed annoyed with having to deal with such an influx of visitors - we still had a good time and thanks to the bartender for taking good care of us).

    Present tense and comfortably numb were a highlight for me. Like Akkus, I also got tall shamed towards the back of the pit - which is normal it seems. I always hang toward the back of the pit and way off center (a few people from side rail) - My apologies for anyone that missed this awesome show b/c of my stature. ;)
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
  • WashedWashed Posts: 731
    Wanted to post this in case anybody missed it: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jam-play-vs-in-full-at-south-carolina-concert-20160417#ixzz466ZkRXH3

    I thought it was kind of cool to be at a show that was historic enough to get its own write up from Rolling Stone.
    this city is so filthy, like my mind in ways
  • rchallenrchallen Posts: 58
    edited April 2016
    Coming up on 10 PJ shows and this was far-and-away the best one I've seen. VS. was, is, and always will be THE formative Pearl Jam album for me... It was just the one that dropped at the perfect moment in my life. So having resigned myself to never seeing the deep cuts (Rats, Leash, Glorified G, W.M.A.) live, getting the ENTIRE ALBUM in sequence was unreal.
    I joked to my friend after Animal: "Maybe they'll just play the entire Vs. album!"
    Then when they kicked into Daughter: "Hang on... You think they're really doing it??"
    And then with the opening drum fill of Glorified G: "HOLY S************!!!!"

    So after that, they honestly could've played a 30-minute Evenflow and 6 songs off LB (ahem) and it wouldn't have mattered one bit. Everything was gravy after that. So to THEN get Comfortably Numb (which was an INSANELY great rendition that probably won't get more than a handful of airings total, similar to "Mother")... And Present Tense (most intense version ever)... And then Breath (which has been on my Holy Grail list forever).... Just speechless.

    Just another reminder why I love this band so much. Can't wait to see if they can top themselves in Columbia! Hard To Imagine opener?....
    Post edited by rchallen on
  • p90coddp90codd Posts: 3
    Thank you guys for an amazing experience. Everyone was so cool. My first GA tickets, my son saw his first show, and even got a tambourine. Everyone treated him like a rock star on the way back to the hotel yelling TAMBOURINE KID!! I guess he was up on the board for a while during Baba O. I couldn't see. I was holding "Tambourine Kid" on my shoulders and dancing. Awesome night. Only wish I had more pictures.
  • PJM3333PJM3333 ChicagoPosts: 290
    moses562 said:

    This weekend has been amazing! So much has happened in a short amount of time! All the friendly people, the beautiful scenery! The amazing show with so much energy...and I met Mike at the Great Falls park today!! My wife and I were down by the main waterfall. What a beatiful view! Well we were planning our next move and as we were walking I noticed this person. I stopped dead in my tracks and looked him over and said outloud, "That's Mike McCready!" He was talking to two other gentlemen. I waited and then he saw me and turned towards my wife and I. He then asked me the hardest question of my life. He said, "What's your name?" He could tell I was just speechless. The first thought in my head was to say my whole name but I got out just my first name and introduced my wife. I said I aporeciated all of the energy feom the bamd and himself and that we watched him run around the stage and jump into the GA pit. He said, "I'm a nut." He then saw my wife's shirt and commented on it. It was a shirt from the Horizon record store he visited yesterday and that we visited today. He said he almost got the shirt that she had on. My wife then said we almost got the one you had on yesterday. He mentioned not remembering where it was at. My wife then said that there's still plenty of shirts. He laughed. We said where we had come from for the show, Texas. He asked which part. I shook his hand, he quickly extended his hand. I said thank you for a great show and tild him thanks for allowing us to chat and I left saying I better let him get back to his day. Mike was so down to earth. He knew how to handle the situation because I froze like a little girl meeting Cinderella at Disney World. He didn't just say hi, he let me have a moment.
    It was so realistic and the fact we just ran into him was amazing. I am on cloud nine! I am so over joyed that I am borderline emotional. ....and in an odd way I kind of feel bad because here is a person checking out the sites and I am taking up part of his day. He has no clue, or maybe he does, how amazing it was to meet someone from my favorite band. It's a memory that will never fade. It's something I thought of but never believed would happen. I am truely fortunate!!
    Pictures to come...

    photo image_zpslaqypfr0.jpeg

    photo image_zpshgveapef.jpeg

    Wow, what a great story. Thanks for sharing!
    2000-Chicago
    2003-Chicago, East Troy
    2006-Chicago, Cleveland
    2009-Chicago
    2011-PJ20 1, PJ20 2
    2013-Wrigley
    2014-Moline, Milwaukee
    2016-Lexington, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2018-Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • zj229377zj229377 charleston SCPosts: 14
    looking for a Greenville XL or XXL shirt if anyone can help. Sold out in my line. PM if you can help me find one.
    thank you
Sign In or Register to comment.