Options

Singles...

NossieNossie Adelaide, Australia Posts: 1,039
edited November 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I've just finished watching Singles... and it's amazing that Eddies voice sounds the same from back then, till today!

Other than Matt Dillon's shocking performance as a 90's rock n roller, the overall movie is actually quite historic in its depiction of the era!

The blue flannelette, the long semi-permed hair, that style of music... it's just a complete and total flashback!

Gone are the days...
When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do...

Pearl Jam - Adelaide: 1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014
Eddie Vedder Solo - Adelaide: 27th & 28th March 2011, Melbourne 16th 2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Nossie wrote:
    I've just finished watching Singles... and it's amazing that Eddies voice sounds the same from back then, till today!

Other than Matt Dillon's shocking performance as a 90's rock n roller, the overall movie is actually quite historic in its depiction of the era!

The blue flannelette, the long semi-permed hair, that style of music... it's just a complete and total flashback!

Gone are the days...

Yeah, that movie is very nostalgic for me. It's been on HBO a lot lately.

The only music that I don't like on it is Paul Westerburg. Why did they have to put that in the movie and soundtrack?!?!?!
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options

The only music that I don't like on it is Paul Westerburg. Why did they have to put that in the movie and soundtrack?!?!?!

LMAO... it certainly did spoil it!

Singles for our generation, is kinda like what The Big Chill did for our parents generation... always takes us back to a place we once knew...

But i guess times, they are a changin'...

• Options
    Nossie wrote:
    LMAO... it certainly did spoil it!

Singles for our generation, is kinda like what The Big Chill did for our parents generation... always takes us back to a place we once knew...

But i guess times, they are a changin'...

I can't quite say the same for my parents...they walked out of it.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I really enjoyed this movie with all the Pearl Jam scenes in it. I'd love a dollar for every time I've replayed these scenes, I'd surely be a millionaire by now. Favourite scene: when the boys are in the cafe (Ed Jeff and Stone, that is) and also Jeff "Hey Cliff, while we're young?". Classic!
  • Options
    deep_schismicdeep_schismic Bremen, Germany Posts: 158
    Nossie wrote:

hehe love this movie...classic Cameron Crowe! But come on, how could you not love Matt Dillon and CITIZEN DICK!
    //ten.club.#352XXX//
    ***melbourne.19.2.2003|berlin.23.9.2006|berlin.15.08.2009|berlin.04.07.2012|berlin.05.07.2012|amsterdam 16.06.2014|berlin 26.06.2014
  • Options
    I love this movie, just watched it recently too... Totally blew me away seeing graffities on walls: Mother Love Bone!!!!!

Touch me I'm Dick!:D
    Euro 2007: Madrid 09/06 Wembley 18/06, Düsseldorf 21/06, Copenhagen 26/06, Nijmegen 28/06, Werchter 29/06

Astoria 20/04/06
    Reading - 27/08/06
    Vienna - 25/09/06 - the BEST day of my life
  • Options

Awww, I kinda liked those songs. They were damn cheesy, sure, but they're fun. Don't the rest of the songs balance those out by a long shot anyway?
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    hehe love this movie...classic Cameron Crowe! But come on, how could you not love Matt Dillon and CITIZEN DICK!

:D Matt Dillion is CORNEY as! It's good to reminisce on, but it's just not real! Watching the boys do their thing - now you know that's how it was for them!

Even Alice In Chains sounded good for back then... (a stretch i know...)

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end...

• Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    i hear this is big in belgium
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    It's great to look back on the movie and sink back into that time...

I was a teenager through the 90's, and it will always be where "i began" (if that makes sense?!)

My music cherry was broken (shredded!!) by Pearl Jam... and Singles takes me back to that era...

• Options
    Awww, I kinda liked those songs. They were damn cheesy, sure, but they're fun. Don't the rest of the songs balance those out by a long shot anyway?

Yes, the other songs do more than balance out the cheese, but it was so close to being perfect. Dyslixic Heart??? The cheese just drips and drowns me.
  • Options

apparently matt dillon was a big fan of him and something called the replacements...?

Anyway, I love this movie. Haven't seen it in a while though, so must dig it out soon..!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Club Interviewer: Talking here with Cliff Poncier. Cliff, any comments on the "Seattle Sound" and Citizen Dick's place in it?
    Cliff Poncier: Well, I don't like to reduce us to just being part of the "Seattle Sound." I'd like to think of us as expanding more. Like, we're huge in Europe right now. I mean, we've got records... uh, a big record just broke in Belgium.
    Club Interviewer: Now, a song like "Touch Me, I'm Dick" is about... what?
    Cliff Poncier: Well, I think "Touch Me, I'm Dick," in essence, speaks for itself, you know. I think that, you know, that's basically what the song is, um... about... is about, you know... I-I think a lot of people might think it's actually about, you know,"My name is Dick, and, you know, you can touch me," but, I think, you know, it can be seen either way.

Genius!:D
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    Club Interviewer: Talking here with Cliff Poncier. Cliff, any comments on the "Seattle Sound" and Citizen Dick's place in it?
    Cliff Poncier: Well, I don't like to reduce us to just being part of the "Seattle Sound." I'd like to think of us as expanding more. Like, we're huge in Europe right now. I mean, we've got records... uh, a big record just broke in Belgium.
    Cliff Poncier: Well, I think "Touch Me, I'm Dick," in essence, speaks for itself, you know. I think that, you know, that's basically what the song is, um... about... is about, you know... I-I think a lot of people might think it's actually about, you know,"My name is Dick, and, you know, you can touch me," but, I think, you know, it can be seen either way.

LMAO...

... Classic...

(Although.. no-one can wear Floppy hats like Jeff does....!)

• Options
    Nossie wrote:
    LMAO...

... Classic...

(Although.. no-one can wear Floppy hats like Jeff does....!)
    No one else should.;):D
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    No one else should.;):D

EXACTLY!

Well put!!

• Options
    Newbie here!

I don't have HBO anymore, but was lucky enough to buy this on VHS for $1 awhile back. I just watched it again not too long ago, and had forgotten how funny it was.

I was 21 when this came out (yeah, I'm an oldie) so this movie definitely resonated with me. Now when I watch it, it's just a sweet little nostalgia-inducing flick. Love it, love it, love it!

Oh, and because I'm really a dork, I STILL want the Luv Co. and Sub Pop T-Shirts that Campbell Scott wears. I know the Sub Pop site has the SP t's, but can't find the Luv Co. shirts anywhere.

I also liked seeing the Mother Love Bone graffiti!

Cliff Poncier rocks!

FTR, I know this was a dorked out post, but what can I say? Singles brings it out in me.
  • Options
    Newbie here!

I don't have HBO anymore, but was lucky enough to buy this on VHS for $1 awhile back. I just watched it again not too long ago, and had forgotten how funny it was.

I was 21 when this came out (yeah, I'm an oldie) so this movie definitely resonated with me. Now when I watch it, it's just a sweet little nostalgia-inducing flick. Love it, love it, love it!

Oh, and because I'm really a dork, I STILL want the Luv Co. and Sub Pop T-Shirts that Campbell Scott wears. I know the Sub Pop site has the SP t's, but can't find the Luv Co. shirts anywhere.

Cliff Poncier rocks!

FTR, I know this was a dorked out post, but what can I say? Singles brings it out in me.
    A. We are not old. (I was 22 when it came out)

Secondly, You are not a dork. It's a great movie and deserves our praise!:D
  • Options
    Newbie here!

Cliff Poncier rocks!

Dork... what a 90's word! Love it :D

The whole movies makes me go strange too... but then... People are strange...?!

• Options
    cutback wrote:

It's amazing how Dillon says that with a straight face. That quote is sooo funny. :D:D:D
  • Options
    It's amazing how Dillon says that with a straight face. That quote is sooo funny. :D:D:D
    What about Cameron having to keep a straight face as the interviewer.:D
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    What about Cameron having to keep a straight face as the interviewer.:D

True, true.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    A. We are not old. (I was 22 when it came out)

Secondly, You are not a dork. It's a great movie and deserves our praise!:D

Thanks! ITA.

I love Cameron in that scene.

And, who could forget the scene where Bridget Fonda sneezes and he says "bless you" followed by a compliment on her hat..."and I don't mean that in any Eddie Haskell kind of way." Heh.
  • Options

I was 21 at the time too! (1992 right?). I'm an oldie too!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    Yeah, it came out in '92. Not to get this thread off-track or anything, but I really don't feel old or look old (not yet), but I'm sure my students (usually 18-20ish) would beg to differ.

Really, I think it's just certain pop culture things that make me realize how much time has passed, because I certainly don't feel that way inside.

I can't believe it's been 14 years since this movie came out! Unreal!
  • Options
    Yeah, it came out in '92. Not to get this thread off-track or anything, but I really don't feel old or look old (not yet), but I'm sure my students (usually 18-20ish) would beg to differ.

Really, I think it's just certain pop culture things that make me realize how much time has passed, because I certainly don't feel that way inside.

I can't believe it's been 14 years since this movie came out! Unreal!

I feel exactly the same way...

When the movie first came out... i was 13... So much time has passed since then and so many things have changed - but watching it makes all the memories come flooding back in...

I feel very different... but then again... i feel a lot of the same... :)

• Options
    the "touch me I'm dick" quote is really funny

and i love the scene with tim burton ;)

probably there is no other film with so cool guest actors in it...

and if someone wants to have a grunge compilation he just has to buy the o.s.t. and gets almost everything he needs...

and in other cases i hate this kind of romantic comedy whatever movies;)
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • Options

and i love the scene with tim burton ;)

"He's only like the next Martin Scorseez"
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I love this movie. As soon as I could get it on DVD, I did! BUT, I did see it on HBO today and afterwards I was thinking, who the hell takes their laundry to a date's house to wash for the date?!?!?!? I have never heard of that! Maybe because I was a teenager at the time of the movie and never had that sort of date? Seriously! That's just funky. And I was thinking about their actual hanging out the first time, she talked about exes the whole time! What guy wouldn't run? I know it's just a movie but I can quote this movie backwards and forwards and only today did these things occur to me!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    Heh. That is a good point. It wasn't like they'd been dating for very long.

I definitely agree on the no talking about exes thing the first date/hangout.

Sometimes, parsing out these little details and questions for ourselves is half the fun of watching the movie.