New Orleans Roll Call

2»

Comments

• AmyDeeAmyDee Posts: 24
    Here is a photo that shows the arrangement of the area in front of the Acura stage. If you look at the right side of the photo, you can see the first barricade separates the security area, then there is a big area for folks with VIP tickets, and the second barricade starts the GA area

s7.photobucket.com/user/addevo/media/public/BA0F8FAF-99D6-4BFD-9A43-B56A72BF1DB9.jpg.html?o=0
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    alright.... gonna weigh in here real quick.

not a jazzfest vet, but definitely a festival vet and did go for PJ back in 2010.

for those asking about merch: PJ posters were not sold at the venue in 2010. The only band merch you could buy all weekend was the PJ show specific shirt (for any band). Back in 2010 JF had a policy of no band merch allowed for sale at all, only JF products.... PJ cracked the nut (if you will), and it sounds like in subsequent years it has been allowed.... Poster orders were taken by the 10C after the show (online) and shipped out. The tubes you saw in the venue were for the highly collectable JF posters - there are a history of these dating back to the start of the festival with a million different price levels... I doubt they let someone else come in with posters this year, but maybe things have changed since 2010.

PJ stage was rammed in 2010, but there was/is a "no chair" zone at the front of GA at the main stage. getting there about 30-45 minutes before PJ was set to take the stage, I was able to get a pretty decent viewing point, but it did pack in behind me pretty thick. No opportunities to go get another beer or pee break...

and to people bringing blankets and attempting to get close: YOU BOUGHT A GA TICKET! PUTTING DOWN A BLANKET DOES NOT RESERVE YOU 10 SQUARE FEET OF SPACE. THAT IS NOT HOW IT FUCKING WORKS. THE TICKET SAYS "NO RESERVED SEATING".... if you have 10 square feet for 2 people... well good fucking luck. when I see open space i move through it or fill it up.... I ain't gonna stand on your blanket, but I will pass through it or by it if it impedes my path. YOU WANT YOUR OWN PRIVATE SPACE, HEAD TO TO BACK AND SETUP YOUR BLANKET THERE...

(sorry, this is my biggest pet peeve at festivals)....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    Bravo, sir. Well said.
  • svenhoeksvenhoek Posts: 52
    I am positive they sold shirts in 2010 because I have one. As for the posters the pre sale thing makes sense.
  • svenhoeksvenhoek Posts: 52

CapnBob said:

Man, no offense to most of you - but c'mooon, get out and roam the other bands, and definitely eat a shit load of the food! I love PJ as much as the next guy, but you're missing out. It's not worth holding a spot and baking in the sun for this - accept that it's going to be a shit show, you'll lose your friends and make new ones.

i hear ya bro... and i will eat my ass off, Lousiana native and 1st time back to NO since 06, have some catching up to do.. lol ... i really just want to ensure that i can see the stage... by shit show, you mean due to the amount of people there and its a festival? Midtown is the only festival that i have been to thus far and I am really pumped about seeing PJ for the 1st time in my home state.
    Shit show, yeah, a festival, amount of people, lines to the bathroom. Unless you plan on wearing a diaper I don't know how it's going to be worth the hassle to get to and fro to be close. All I need is the music, which I'm sure will be LOUD from everywhere - if I'm looking at a screen, eh, so be it.

I'm hoping to get down there from our hotel on Bourbon around 12-ish, grab a Bloody Mary, soak in the sun, head on in to gorge my face and take in the blues/jazz/gospel bands.

Native eh? Familiar with the walk from Bourbon & Canal to the Fairgrounds? Was thinking about walking it. Not that bad of a walk?

I walked to the fairgrounds in 2010. Although it wasn't an extremely bad walk I wouldn't recommend it. Some of the neighborhoods you have to walk thru are pretty rough.
  • AmyDeeAmyDee Posts: 24
    Shep, you are exactly right. No chairs or blankets up front. By "camping out" near the rail, I didn't mean literally. I will be standing there with a beer, making new friends. We bring chairs and umbrellas that we set up MUCH further back as a place to park between shows. Since Elton John seriously over-packed the place last year, the festival organizers are advertising that they are going to be stricter about enforcing rules. Here is a link to info, scroll down to the bottom. http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2015/05/new_orleans_jazz_fest_2016_dat.html
    svenhoek said:

CapnBob said:

Man, no offense to most of you - but c'mooon, get out and roam the other bands, and definitely eat a shit load of the food! I love PJ as much as the next guy, but you're missing out. It's not worth holding a spot and baking in the sun for this - accept that it's going to be a shit show, you'll lose your friends and make new ones.

i hear ya bro... and i will eat my ass off, Lousiana native and 1st time back to NO since 06, have some catching up to do.. lol ... i really just want to ensure that i can see the stage... by shit show, you mean due to the amount of people there and its a festival? Midtown is the only festival that i have been to thus far and I am really pumped about seeing PJ for the 1st time in my home state.
    Shit show, yeah, a festival, amount of people, lines to the bathroom. Unless you plan on wearing a diaper I don't know how it's going to be worth the hassle to get to and fro to be close. All I need is the music, which I'm sure will be LOUD from everywhere - if I'm looking at a screen, eh, so be it.

I'm hoping to get down there from our hotel on Bourbon around 12-ish, grab a Bloody Mary, soak in the sun, head on in to gorge my face and take in the blues/jazz/gospel bands.

Native eh? Familiar with the walk from Bourbon & Canal to the Fairgrounds? Was thinking about walking it. Not that bad of a walk?

I walked to the fairgrounds in 2010. Although it wasn't an extremely bad walk I wouldn't recommend it. Some of the neighborhoods you have to walk thru are pretty rough.
    Sounds good. Looks like a 2 1/2-ish mile walk. I'm sure I've walked through worse so will probably give it a shot. Shaping up to be a pretty nice day so might be worth the stroll.
  • MChapmanMChapman Posts: 5
    All great points, Shep. A blanket was more for a place to sit every now and then while waiting at the stage all day for PJ to come on. Not my first festival either, just my first JF... Great info about the posters, hopefully they do it that way again this year. For any of you interested in JF posters you can order those now on the fest site.
  • JasonTeckJasonTeck Posts: 179

svenhoek said:

Sounds good. Looks like a 2 1/2-ish mile walk. I'm sure I've walked through worse so will probably give it a shot. Shaping up to be a pretty nice day so might be worth the stroll.
    My wife and I plan on walking there as well...I did a Google Maps street view all the way from Bourbon Street to the fairgrounds and it did not look too shabby to me. Plus we figured we would not be the only ones...so there will be strength in numbers!
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
    JasonTeck said:

svenhoek said:

My wife and I plan on walking there as well...I did a Google Maps street view all the way from Bourbon Street to the fairgrounds and it did not look too shabby to me. Plus we figured we would not be the only ones...so there will be strength in numbers!
    Now we're talkin'. Maybe get a Second Line going for the stroll, haha...
  • CapnBobCapnBob Posts: 369
    JasonTeck said:

svenhoek said:

i am in, but we all have to stay together.. some parts of NO are nothing to mess around with..
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
    The route I looked at was straight up Esplanade Avenue (which is down by the French Market past Jackson Square) then you veer off onto Bayou Rd which turns into Gentily Blvd. I think as long as the show ends when there is plenty of light out we will walk back as well...but if not I am taking a cab/street car for sure.

So where we all meeting : )
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2010 - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
    Look for nine guys severely hungover stumbling up the street looking to cure the shakes.

Look for nine guys severely hungover stumbling up the street looking to cure the shakes.

I know I plan to cure the effects of our Friday Night Bourbon street adventures with Beignets and Cafe Au Lait from Cafe Du Monde! The killer might be the long line you have to stand in!
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2010 - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
    JasonTeck said:

I know I plan to cure the effects of our Friday Night Bourbon street adventures with Beignets and Cafe Au Lait from Cafe Du Monde! The killer might be the long line you have to stand in!
    Hearing great things about the Bloody's at Liuzza's across from the fairground - gonna pre-game it there for a little hair of the dog.
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    JasonTeck said:

oh... that's going to be a line alright...

that being said (a) I'm staying at the hilton next door, (b) my wife is pregnant, (c) I've never been, and (d) did I mention the beignets and the fact my wife is pregnant?

We are thinking about making the walk there as well... will likely be getting the shuttle or a cab back afterwards... during JF there is usually a pretty big police presence around all the french quarter and the area between there and the festival to keep the tourists safe.... just don't be a drunk idiot alone and you should be fine in broad daylight.
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • CapnBobCapnBob Posts: 369

JasonTeck said:

Hearing great things about the Bloody's at Liuzza's across from the fairground - gonna pre-game it there for a little hair of the dog.
    will Liuzza's be the meeting place? our own PJ fan pre party? bloody's sound good to me ... we will be headed down 1st thing Friday morning... after trying to sleep after the Columbia show Thursday night.. lol
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,015
    Does anyone know if they usually sell band specific merch all weekend?
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    I walked around the Festival yesterday and I could not find merchandise specific to any band anywhere. I asked Staff and no one (including information) could point me in the right direction... I feel like I walked everywhere.
    Same here, walked everywhere yesterday and no merch from any band. One lady said maybe outside the fest but I haven't heard anything about poo up stands of official merch. If anyone hears anything please let us all know. Have a great fest!
    Pop up*
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    I am a JF veteran...you can't stop the blankets/chairs at the Fest ...I'm a fan of coming from the Right side on the racetrack (facing stage) and going up that bridge just behind the water truck...it will be a major clusterf--k for sure
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    3days said:

I walked around the Festival yesterday and I could not find merchandise specific to any band anywhere. I asked Staff and no one (including information) could point me in the right direction... I feel like I walked everywhere.

Have NEVER seen band specific stuff inside or outside JF in all my years. THe fest is NOT about specific bands for sure....enjoy that there's WAY more to do there....go to Fais Do Do stage at least once, see the Indians....don't just sit at Acura all day. BUt Anders is worth it.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,908
    The poster, sticker, tee shirt, and badge from the New Orleans show will be sold by 10C in the Goods section sometime on Monday.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,942
    Kudos to the lucky ones who'll be there tonite. Hopefully Steve Gleason will be there in the wings taking in the show :sunglasses: