New Orleans Roll Call

AmyDeeAmyDee Posts: 24
I've seen discussions of most of the shows on the 2016 tour, but nothing about New Orleans. I've been to Jazz Fest many times, but missed Pearl Jam in 2010. Any predictions on how many people will just be there for PJ? Will I need to stake out a claim on a spot up front early in the day, or can I wander about and then go to the Acura Stage an hour or so before? Since they can't set up a merch tent at the fairgrounds, will there be a poster for this show?

Comments

• I'm going! I think 2010 was one of the best PJ concerts I've been to.... They opened with so you wanna be a rock n roll star and closed with kick out the jams...id guess (only a guess) there will be 50-60k people, in other words A LOT. If you want rail, plan on camping out all day. There were posters last time and I assume there will be this time.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Jazzfest crowds get really crazy attendance wise. Expect at least 80k people trying to see PJ.

The record for one day is 160k people. Cant see that being briken but its going to be a huge fun crowd.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    edited April 2016
    Well..last year there were about 50,000 or more at Acura Stage for Elton John...so if you think you wanna actually get very close you're gonna have to set up shop there all day...good luck, it'll be a clusterf--k....but you know that if you've been to JF before.
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • AmyDeeAmyDee Posts: 24

I'm going! I think 2010 was one of the best PJ concerts I've been to.... They opened with so you wanna be a rock n roll star and closed with kick out the jams...id guess (only a guess) there will be 50-60k people, in other words A LOT. If you want rail, plan on camping out all day. There were posters last time and I assume there will be this time.

Thanks for the info. I'll plan on claiming a spot at the rail on at Acura in the morning and holding my position for the day. Leo, Anders, Galactic, then PJ, not a bad way to spend the day. Do you suppose the Crawfish Monica folks would deliver? Where did they sell the posters last time? Was the merch truck on site?
    Anders is da bomb...Glactic too...but you do know about the VIP area in front now, right?

Anders is da bomb...Glactic too...but you do know about the VIP area in front now, right?

Yes,it's a great lineup all day, so I will just try to stop myself from looking at the cubes for what I am missing by camping out at Acura. Yes, I know there is an area right in front for VIPs. But last time I went up front was for The Who and there weren't enough people up there to block the view of the stage. But it does keep us further back, too far to catch a pick, and maybe even too far to catch a tambourine. But it will do.
    I can't stand the fact they added that section....It's never full....
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,990
    Gonna be a hell of a day - waking up at 8, going for a wake-up dip in the hotel pool, then out the door to Liuzza's for some Bloody's, then into the grounds for delicious food and grazing the peripheral music until PJ time. Going to be a great weekend.

I can't stand the fact they added that section....It's never full....

I guess they have to make the folks paying $250/day feel like they are getting something for their money besides air conditioned bathrooms. It is a waste of precious real estate, though.
  • CapnBobCapnBob Posts: 369
    AmyDee said:

Yes,it's a great lineup all day, so I will just try to stop myself from looking at the cubes for what I am missing by camping out at Acura. Yes, I know there is an area right in front for VIPs. But last time I went up front was for The Who and there weren't enough people up there to block the view of the stage. But it does keep us further back, too far to catch a pick, and maybe even too far to catch a tambourine. But it will do.
    How many rows back will we be? I plan on trying to just go camp at Acura all day as well....
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • svenhoeksvenhoek Posts: 52
    AmyDee said:

I've seen discussions of most of the shows on the 2016 tour, but nothing about New Orleans. I've been to Jazz Fest many times, but missed Pearl Jam in 2010. Any predictions on how many people will just be there for PJ? Will I need to stake out a claim on a spot up front early in the day, or can I wander about and then go to the Acura Stage an hour or so before? Since they can't set up a merch tent at the fairgrounds, will there be a poster for this show?

I was there in 2010 and got a shirt, but i never saw posters for sale anywhere, and I did make it there fairly early that day if I recall. I do know there was a poster though because I saw people with them. I don't see any useful info on the Jazz Fest website regarding merch.
  • svenhoek said:

AmyDee said:

I was there in 2010 and got a shirt, but i never saw posters for sale anywhere, and I did make it there fairly early that day if I recall. I do know there was a poster though because I saw people with them. I don't see any useful info on the Jazz Fest website regarding merch.
    I was there in 2010 as well and I couldn't find the t shirts or posters. But like you I saw folks with them. I plan on showing up as early as possible to get a descent place at the stage. But I'm worried they'll setup the merch trailer outside the venue after I have already gone through the gates. Once you're "in" you're "in" unless you buy another ticket from what i understand. Don't really want to buy another ticket just to get some of things I've been eyeing. I guess I'll do what I have to do though. Hopefully 10C will put out some info in the next couple of days about the merch plans for Jazz Fest.

svenhoek said:

AmyDee said:

I was there in 2010 as well and I couldn't find the t shirts or posters. But like you I saw folks with them. I plan on showing up as early as possible to get a descent place at the stage. But I'm worried they'll setup the merch trailer outside the venue after I have already gone through the gates. Once you're "in" you're "in" unless you buy another ticket from what i understand. Don't really want to buy another ticket just to get some of things I've been eyeing. I guess I'll do what I have to do though. Hopefully 10C will put out some info in the next couple of days about the merch plans for Jazz Fest.
    I hope so too... really want a poster and sticker
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • JasonTeckJasonTeck Posts: 179
    I'll be there as well! My wife is really anxious to see Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats...who overlap Pearl Jam's set a bit. So I do not except to be anywhere near the front of the stage.

Also I am very eager to hear about the Merch situation as well. A lot of logistics going into planning this trip!
    1992 - Lollapalooza - St. Louis
    1994 - St. Louis
    1998 - St. Louis
    2000 - St. Louis
    2003 - St. Louis
    2007 - Lollapalooza - Chicago
    2008 - Eddie Vedder Solo - Chicago
    2010 - St. Louis
    2011 - Eddie Vedder Solo - St. Louis
    2014 - St. Louis
    2016 - New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
    2018 - Wrigley Field - Chicago
    2022 - St. Louis & Oklahoma City
    2023 - Chicago N1 & N2
  • hidypittshidypitts Posts: 52
    So excited for this weekend! See you all there!
  • JA42304JA42304 Posts: 2
    Looking forward to the New Orleans gig! Van Morrison is on the family bucket list and playing at the same time. So bummed about that!!!!! For you vets of the fest what is the best bet for transportation to and from the grounds? Where is the 10 Club after party?!?!?!
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    I was at the 2010 show and it was great. If you want to be close to the stage, you better get there early and claim a spot. Splurged for the VIP tickets this time around and I keep hoping we see something magical similar to what happened a couple of nights ago in SC. I am pushing for TEN to be played in its entirety.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    JasonTeck said:

I'll be there as well! My wife is really anxious to see Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats...who overlap Pearl Jam's set a bit. So I do not except to be anywhere near the front of the stage.

Also I am very eager to hear about the Merch situation as well. A lot of logistics going into planning this trip!

Last time they played in 2010 at Jazz Fest there was no Pearl Jam merchandise like you see at regular shows. Just a couple of Jazz Fest t-shirts mentioning Pearl Jam, but nothing that was sold at other shows. At least at the merchandise stand I found last time. Maybe it will different this time. I hope so because this is the only show I am seeing on this tour.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
  • MChapmanMChapman Posts: 5
    So those of you lucky enough to get a poster in 2010, were they sold inside or outside? More worried about getting a poster than a shirt but both will be nice. Also, JF Vets, have you found that most fest goers are pretty respectful of the spot you claim? Going with wife and another couple, hope to just post up on a blanket while we wait for PJ all day but concerned about bathroom and drink runs... Any tips are appreciated. Can't wait!!!
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,015
    new member here, but i will be there! my first PJ show! im so very excited. Still trying to get used to this 10 Club thing. I really wish i would have gone in 2010, but i just started getting into them right after that. Also missed them in 2013 at Voodoo.

Im trying to get there very early. How long do you guys plan on waiting? i was thinking about going out there and waiting in line about 8 or earlier. Like people have mentioned in here already, theres a bunchhhh of people that go to this. Ive never been when the gates first open though, so i couldnt tell you how early people start milling around the main stage. The people at the fest should be respectful of the spot you claim, just know if you are planning on putting a blanket down, theres a designated part of the crowd where you can do that. I think they have a line that shows you where the blanket section starts.

As for the posters, isn't there a big merch booth in the middle of the grounds that sells just about anything you could ever want? When i saw the Foos at Jazzfest back in 2012 they basically had all the merch they were touring with at the time and city specific merch.
  • I'm guessing there's been no update on the merch situation for Jazz Fest?
    I can ask them on Thursday when they are here, though not sure if they will know ... I, like you, am very curious as well
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
  • 12inchdoc12inchdoc Posts: 38

I was at the 2010 show and it was great. If you want to be close to the stage, you better get there early and claim a spot. Splurged for the VIP tickets this time around and I keep hoping we see something magical similar to what happened a couple of nights ago in SC. I am pushing for TEN to be played in its entirety.

Splurged for VIP tickets too. Couldn't get out east, so figured WTH. You going all weekend?
    CapnBob said:

AmyDee said:

How many rows back will we be? I plan on trying to just go camp at Acura all day as well....
    At the big stages, there is the usual security barricade right in front of the stage, which is about 8 feet wide. Then, there is the VIP area, which is pretty large, maybe 25 feet wide? And then, another row of barricades, and that's where the GA area begins. I have a photo from last year that happened to catch a pretty good view of the area in front of the Acura stage. Can someone point me to info on how to upload a photo to this forum?
  • CapnBob said:

I can ask them on Thursday when they are here, though not sure if they will know ... I, like you, am very curious as well

Yeah that would be awesome if you could. I really hate having to turn to eBay and paying a premium for the things I'm hoping to acquire.
    Man, no offense to most of you - but c'mooon, get out and roam the other bands, and definitely eat a shit load of the food! I love PJ as much as the next guy, but you're missing out. It's not worth holding a spot and baking in the sun for this - accept that it's going to be a shit show, you'll lose your friends and make new ones.

CapnBob said:

Yeah that would be awesome if you could. I really hate having to turn to eBay and paying a premium for the things I'm hoping to acquire.
    will do, agree with you 100%
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
    AmyDee said:

CapnBob said:

AmyDee said:

At the big stages, there is the usual security barricade right in front of the stage, which is about 8 feet wide. Then, there is the VIP area, which is pretty large, maybe 25 feet wide? And then, another row of barricades, and that's where the GA area begins. I have a photo from last year that happened to catch a pretty good view of the area in front of the Acura stage. Can someone point me to info on how to upload a photo to this forum?
    thanks Amy!
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016

Man, no offense to most of you - but c'mooon, get out and roam the other bands, and definitely eat a shit load of the food! I love PJ as much as the next guy, but you're missing out. It's not worth holding a spot and baking in the sun for this - accept that it's going to be a shit show, you'll lose your friends and make new ones.

i hear ya bro... and i will eat my ass off, Lousiana native and 1st time back to NO since 06, have some catching up to do.. lol ... i really just want to ensure that i can see the stage... by shit show, you mean due to the amount of people there and its a festival? Midtown is the only festival that i have been to thus far and I am really pumped about seeing PJ for the 1st time in my home state.
    Columbia 2008
    Atlanta 2012
    Wrigley 2013
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Greenville (VS.) 2016
    Columbia 2016
    New Orleans 2016
    Fenway I 2016
    Fenway II 2016
    Wrigley I 2016
    Wrigley II 2016
    CapnBob said:

i hear ya bro... and i will eat my ass off, Lousiana native and 1st time back to NO since 06, have some catching up to do.. lol ... i really just want to ensure that i can see the stage... by shit show, you mean due to the amount of people there and its a festival? Midtown is the only festival that i have been to thus far and I am really pumped about seeing PJ for the 1st time in my home state.
    Shit show, yeah, a festival, amount of people, lines to the bathroom. Unless you plan on wearing a diaper I don't know how it's going to be worth the hassle to get to and fro to be close. All I need is the music, which I'm sure will be LOUD from everywhere - if I'm looking at a screen, eh, so be it.

I'm hoping to get down there from our hotel on Bourbon around 12-ish, grab a Bloody Mary, soak in the sun, head on in to gorge my face and take in the blues/jazz/gospel bands.

Native eh? Familiar with the walk from Bourbon & Canal to the Fairgrounds? Was thinking about walking it. Not that bad of a walk?