Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Teaser trailer was released yesterday. Looks darker and grittier than The Force Awakens. Any thoughts or opinions leading up to December 16th?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg
Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
Denver 10-22-14

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Darth effing Vader is coming.

'nuff said.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    When do you think Disney is going to cross over the Marvel Universe with the Star Wars universe??? You know they have people considering it.

My guess is the year 2021
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    JimmyV said:

'nuff said.

Enough of Vader.
    Moff Tarkin!

Trailer is good.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Rygar said:

JimmyV said:

'nuff said.

Enough of Vader.
    Disagree. Enough of Anakin Skywalker and whining. Bad ass Darth Vader doing bad ass Darth Vader shit? Sign me up.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JimmyV said:

Rygar said:

JimmyV said:

'nuff said.

Enough of Vader.
    Disagree. Enough of Anakin Skywalker and whining. Bad ass Darth Vader doing bad ass Darth Vader shit? Sign me up.

Agreed, let's get James Earl Jones back in the action one last time.
    Perhaps we will meet Snoke in this movie. Maybe he tried to take Vader out or Vader took an apprentice to overtake the Emperor, and that was Snoke.
    Would be really cool if we meet Snoke and don't know it until later, though those of us who think out every plausible scenario will guess it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i just finished watching episodes 4-6 and darth vader is not really that bad ass ... his fight scenes were all pretty lame ... sure, force choking a general from another room is cool but that's about it ...

definitely no yoda ...
  • dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 915
    polaris_x said:

i just finished watching episodes 4-6 and darth vader is not really that bad ass ... his fight scenes were all pretty lame ... sure, force choking a general from another room is cool but that's about it ...

definitely no yoda ...

Is this a joke or something?
    Denver 10-22-14

polaris_x said:

definitely no yoda ...

no ... feel free to link a scene where vader looks bad ass ...
    polaris_x said:

definitely no yoda ...

I agree, menacing persona and presence, but lumbering, clumsy action acting.
    I am sure they will speed it up a bit and get a little more martial artsy with him, if they are smart.
    The one thing the prequels excelled at was increasing the intensity and enjoyability of the lightsaber duels. It made watching the original saber battles almost painful.

The new series needs to track the same way the prequels did, the fighting needs to get faster, more acrobatic, and with more force powers.
    A nice battle of wills somewhere between Galdalf and the Balrog on the bridge of Khazad Dum and Harry with Voldemort struggling with connected wands would be a nice touch.
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

definitely no yoda ...

I am sure they will speed it up a bit and get a little more martial artsy with him, if they are smart.
    The one thing the prequels excelled at was increasing the intensity and enjoyability of the lightsaber duels. It made watching the original saber battles almost painful.

The new series needs to track the same way the prequels did, the fighting needs to get faster, more acrobatic, and with more force powers.
    A nice battle of wills somewhere between Galdalf and the Balrog on the bridge of Khazad Dum and Harry with Voldemort struggling with connected wands would be a nice touch.
    we are of the same minds! ... haha

what they did with yoda in the prequels was make him the singular most bad ass character of all time!
    polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

definitely no yoda ...

what they did with yoda in the prequels was make him the singular most bad ass character of all time!
    I disagree about Yoda, I thought it was a tad corny, CG at today's capability would probably have prevented that though. Palpatine's fighting was bad, just awful.

Anakin and obi were harass though
    rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

rgambs said:

polaris_x said:

definitely no yoda ...

I disagree about Yoda, I thought it was a tad corny, CG at today's capability would probably have prevented that though. Palpatine's fighting was bad, just awful.

Anakin and obi were harass though
    considering dude is like 2' tall ... they had to do that ... his fight with palpatine was pretty kick ass I thought ...
    It was, Palpatine looked like he was holding a big dildo or something though
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    rgambs said:

If they're trying to capture the look and feel of the original trilogy, that might be one of the most idiotic things they could possibly do.
    JTH said:

rgambs said:

If they're trying to capture the look and feel of the original trilogy, that might be one of the most idiotic things they could possibly do.
    I think that would be a mistake, recapturing is never a good plan. A new movie in the look and feel of A New Hope would be boring and disappointing now.
  • dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 915
    polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

definitely no yoda ...

First of all, Vader looks bad ass in every scene. He was particularly awesome against Luke Skywalker in the best Star wars movie that has still ever been made. It's called The Empire Strikes Back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY
    Denver 10-22-14
    I like what they did with FA, with the look and feel more like the prequels and the storytelling and plot devices from the originals.

For Rogue One, go closer to the originals but keep the action standards current.

For the rest of the series, let's get a real look at Rey and Kylo as they train hard and improve in the Force, that will make their next showdown more anticipated and appreciated. I would like to see them take the next movie up immediately where the Force Awakens stopped, but that isn't something that one should expect from a Star Wars movie. It will probably start after they have trained for a few years.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    A scene where Vader looks badass? Oh, I dunno. How about the first time he appears onscreen?
    https://youtu.be/MftSEu4vgg0?t=14s
    edited April 2016
    Badass character for sure, but Anakin or Obi-Wan from the prequels would kill him in 2 swings, he is incredibly slow.

Edit* Jedi are supposed to be freaking ninja masters with super focus and superhuman reflexes, original Darth was just too slow and clumsy. Maybe Darth Maul was a little too showy, but shouldn't a Jedi at least be faster than a barely choreographed 7 foot tall guy wearing a cumbersome costume?

2nd edit* Vader seems to be about the same speed as the Hound, who wears at least 50lbs of steel armor and swings at least a 20lb sword.
    Post edited by rgambs on

polaris_x said:

polaris_x said:

definitely no yoda ...

First of all, Vader looks bad ass in every scene. He was particularly awesome against Luke Skywalker in the best Star wars movie that has still ever been made. It's called The Empire Strikes Back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY
    ok ... to each their own ...
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    prequels - didn't feel like the original trilogy, booooo
    the force awakens - felt too much like the original trilogy, booooo

can't have it both ways. i love me my star wars, and the more star wars the better in my opinion. rogue one will look and feel exactly like the force awakens, and that's not a bad thing.
    and the only time vader did not look menacing was during his big "reveal" at the end of ROTJ.

oh, vader was just a 75 year old brit :lol:
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    rgambs said:

Badass character for sure, but Anakin or Obi-Wan from the prequels would kill him in 2 swings, he is incredibly slow.

Edit* Jedi are supposed to be freaking ninja masters with super focus and superhuman reflexes, original Darth was just too slow and clumsy. Maybe Darth Maul was a little too showy, but shouldn't a Jedi at least be faster than a barely choreographed 7 foot tall guy wearing a cumbersome costume?

2nd edit* Vader seems to be about the same speed as the Hound, who wears at least 50lbs of steel armor and swings at least a 20lb sword.

From Wookiepedia:
    'The suit provided a suite of life-support systems and gave Vader relatively free movement without having to use a hoverchair.
    The armor encased Vader completely, creating a hermetic seal to protect his charred skin and lungs. It was also uncomfortable to wear. Vader slowly learned to live with the isolation and anonymity that the suit imposed on him. Vader had to change his lightsaber style to compensate for the weight, bulk, and inflexibility of his armor. The electronics of the suit were sensitive to electrical discharges, though Vader added a limited amount of insulation to the suit after discovering this. To escape the armor's claustrophobic nature, Vader had several pressurized meditation chambers built where he could remove his mask and suit and still survive. Vader longed to be less dependent on his armor, and tried at times to function without it, but he labored in vain.

Despite the weaknesses imparted by the suit, it also provided a number of strengths. These included greatly enhanced durability and stamina, numerous sensory enhancements, and protection from extremely inhospitable environments and biological weaponry.'
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vader's_armor

Man I am dorking out!
    edited April 2016
    rgambs said:

Edit* Jedi are supposed to be freaking ninja masters with super focus and superhuman reflexes,

not in the original trilogy. i don't think lucas really had a clear vision on what a jedi should *be* as he was kind of making everything up as he went along. in a new hope, aren't they kind of referred to as a warrior? no one really knew what a jedi was other than ben (who has aged drastically from his jedi days) & yoda (who you never see do battle) were the last of them, and luke was training to become one.

the vader/obi wan duel is pretty goofy, i will admit. but almost as goofy as yoda/palpatine's duel in revenge of the sith (completely over the top fight scene). i'd rather see a more realstic duel that we saw in empire -- luke/vader. thought that was good battle of physical combat and force.

edit: and rewind to to a new hope. yoda didn't exist, luke was just a farm boy, ben was the only jedi we knew of. didn't know what luke's path would be as a new hope was suppose to be a one and done movie.
    Post edited by rival. on
    rival. said:

rgambs said:

Edit* Jedi are supposed to be freaking ninja masters with super focus and superhuman reflexes,

not in the original trilogy. i don't think lucas really had a clear vision on what a jedi should *be* as he was kind of making everything up as he went along. in a new hope, aren't they kind of referred to as a warrior? no one really knew what a jedi was other than ben (who has aged drastically from his jedi days) & yoda (who you never see do battle) were the last of them, and luke was training to become one.

the vader/obi wan duel is pretty goofy, i will admit. but almost as goofy as yoda/palpatine's duel in revenge of the sith (completely over the top fight scene). i'd rather see a more realstic duel that we saw in empire -- luke/vader. thought that was good battle of physical combat and force.

edit: and rewind to to a new hope. yoda didn't exist, luke was just a farm boy, ben was the only jedi we knew of. didn't know what luke's path would be as a new hope was suppose to be a one and done movie.
    That's true, but it has become a pretty accepted and unavoidable part of Jedi mythology in the years since.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    JimmyV said:

Rygar said:

JimmyV said:

'nuff said.

Enough of Vader.

I disagree, I like Vader but it's been done. Maybe they'll make a DV solo movie for you.
    As long as it is light on Fetts...
    Boba Fett is the most overrated and overinflated character ever, and D'Jango was little better!