Options

Where to start with Bruce Springsteen?

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Also, I should clarify that I have Devil's & Dust on CD and really like it. Maybe I've got issues with the E Street Band?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632

Also, I should clarify that I have Devil's & Dust on CD and really like it. Maybe I've got issues with the E Street Band?

Maybe the 'organized chaos' style of the E Street isn't your thing. Or maybe you like Brendan O'Brien who produced Devils...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Maybe the 'organized chaos' style of the E Street isn't your thing. Or maybe you like Brendan O'Brien who produced Devils...
    I just figured it out. I like Bruce solo. Nebraska is outstanding. Just a few songs in. Digging it!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Wow, I've really missed out. Wow!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Every song is about a character from a different part of Americana.. it's a big, sweeping view of the country from the bottom.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    4!
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    edited April 2016

Reason to Believe is one of my favorite Bruce songs. Also love State Trooper, Highway Patrolman, Johnny 99 and Atlantic City on that album. For the newbies, the story of Nebraska is this: The album was made using a 4 track cassette recorder at Springsteen's home. The tracks were intended as demos for an E-Street band album and many if not all of the songs were recorded with the full band, however Springsteen felt the raw sound of the recordings best fit the stories he was trying to tell.

The album before Nebraska was Bruce's first number 1 record in the USA so he took a big risk by releasing Nebraska the way he did. If you like the album check out it's one released outtake, Demo Version of Born in the USA, which is much better than the overplayed released one (in my opinion).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UBei3n4FOY
    Post edited by Better Dan on
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    edited April 2016

mrussel1 said:

I just figured it out. I like Bruce solo. Nebraska is outstanding. Just a few songs in. Digging it!

Have you listened to Tunnel of Love? Some songs have a dated 80s style production, mainly Tunnel of Love and the synths on Tougher than the Rest, but it's really an outstanding album with great lyrics/stories that I think is closer to the spirit of Nebraska than his E-Street albums. May be his most underrated album. Highly recommended!

You may like some of the more stripped down songs on the River as well: Independence Day, The River (song), Price You Pay, Fade Away, Stolen Car, Drive all Night, and Wreck on the Highway are some great tunes.
    Post edited by Better Dan on
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

Have you listened to Tunnel of Love? Some songs have a dated 80s style production, mainly Tunnel of Love and the synths on Tougher than the Rest, but it's really an outstanding album with great lyrics/stories that I think is closer to the spirit of Nebraska than his E-Street albums. May be his most underrated album. Highly recommended!

You may like some of the more stripped down songs on the River as well: Independence Day, The River (song), Fade Away, Stolen Car, Drive all Night, and Wreck on the Highway are some great tunes.
    I think "The River" has his best lyrics. Could be because I grew up in that type of area and lots of my friends went right into a union and then just sort disappeared into life.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544

Awesome, I'm so glad you're loving it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

You may like some of the more stripped down songs on the River as well: Independence Day, The River (song), Fade Away, Stolen Car, Drive all Night, and Wreck on the Highway are some great tunes.
    I think "The River" has his best lyrics. Could be because I grew up in that type of area and lots of my friends went right into a union and then just sort disappeared into life.
    I can't believe I originally forgot to mention Price You Pay from the River!! (now edited above) One of my favorite songs from that album. You're right - "The River" is such a great song.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    So..I listened to a few albums just one time to gauge what's what.

Nebraska I think I'll get into just need to listen to it. I've really been listening to Darkness a lot and wow Racing in the Street is destroying me right now, what a song!!! Also Something in the Night, love when he whails! Digging this album more and more with listens. I'm a big fan of depressing music so really like his more darker/sadder songs. Not a fan of trumpets and saxophones etc. If that helps for any further guidance on where to go next with him then let me know.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I don't even know if he has sad songs, his voice has this like quaint story telling from the past type of feel.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Brisk. said:

I don't even know if he has sad songs, his voice has this like quaint story telling from the past type of feel.

41 shots is pretty friggin sad. :(

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544

Brisk. said:

41 shots is pretty friggin sad. :(

So is Streets of Philadelphia... actually, it's downright depressing (and a really beautiful song).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Brisk. said:

So..I listened to a few albums just one time to gauge what's what.

Nebraska I think I'll get into just need to listen to it. I've really been listening to Darkness a lot and wow Racing in the Street is destroying me right now, what a song!!! Also Something in the Night, love when he whails! Digging this album more and more with listens. I'm a big fan of depressing music so really like his more darker/sadder songs. Not a fan of trumpets and saxophones etc. If that helps for any further guidance on where to go next with him then let me know.

Tunnel of Love album sounds like it may be up your alley. No E-street band, no trumpets/sax.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    I'm pretty stoked.  The Rising is finally get a reissue.   It's been top of my vinyl I want list for quite a while but I couldn't bring myself to pay over $200usd for a copy.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    I'm pretty stoked.  The Rising is finally get a reissue.   It's been top of my vinyl I want list for quite a while but I couldn't bring myself to pay over $200usd for a copy.
    That is good news.  They also announced the Live in Ireland set on vinyl.  This is a pretty famous set of shows with an Irish band.  $46 bucks presale on Amazon.  
  • Options
    So..I listened to a few albums just one time to gauge what's what. Nebraska I think I'll get into just need to listen to it. I've really been listening to Darkness a lot and wow Racing in the Street is destroying me right now, what a song!!! Also Something in the Night, love when he whails! Digging this album more and more with listens. I'm a big fan of depressing music so really like his more darker/sadder songs. Not a fan of trumpets and saxophones etc. If that helps for any further guidance on where to go next with him then let me know.
    Tunnel of Love album sounds like it may be up your alley. No E-street band, no trumpets/sax.
    Great album.  The songs have really aged well.  There's a little synth here and there I could do without, but still a great record.  
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I'm not sure why they appear to have ditched the Album Collection series. Maybe volume 2 didn't sell so well? I'm still patiently waiting for the deluxe box set of BitUSA.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    I'm looking forward to finally getting Devils and Dust on vinyl, but I will also be buying a copy of The Rising.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited January 2020
    Honestly. What got me into Bruce was seeing him live in Oakland one year. With the E Street band. Not with the big man. He had already passed. I never understood the myth of Bruce until I saw it live. Then it all made sense. There is a reason he is the called The Boss. Just unreal. 

Album wise I would have to agree with all the Nebraska suggestions. If your on this board, your into PJ and Bruce’s storytelling is similar to Ed’s. You feel the story and the stripped down sound of Nebraska just brings it all together. Nebraska is one of my favorite albums of all time by any artist. I have the vinyl framed on the wall. After that the greatest hits or essential Bruce is always good. You need to understand the man’s art to fully appreciate his catalog. IMO
    Post edited by pearljammr78 on
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,594
    Anyone seen Western Stars?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    My first introduction to Springstreen was the the super popular Born in the USA.  I still think it's an amazing album.

My other favourites are Nebraska and The Rising.   Nebraska got this amazing acoustic dark vibe to it.   The Rising is the opposite.  It was written/recorded in the dark days follow 9/11, but it feels full of hope.    I'm pretty stoked it's getting a vinyl reissue :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    My first introduction to Springstreen was the the super popular Born in the USA.  I still think it's an amazing album.

My other favourites are Nebraska and The Rising.   Nebraska got this amazing acoustic dark vibe to it.   The Rising is the opposite.  It was written/recorded in the dark days follow 9/11, but it feels full of hope.    I'm pretty stoked it's getting a vinyl reissue :)
    Born in the USA is an amazing album. It's easy to take for granted because it was mainstream.  But it was so mainstream because every song is great.  Darlington County puts me in a great mood to this day. 
  • Options
    Btw, that was also my intro.  I was 11 and it was everywhere.  Everyone knew Dancing and BITUSA.
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    BitUSA is gonna be one hell of a box set if they ever get around to it. I'm assuming they'll skip Nebraska box set since there are only four unreleased demos and no tour for it? Unless they finally release Electric Nebraska with it.
  • Options
    BitUSA is gonna be one hell of a box set if they ever get around to it. I'm assuming they'll skip Nebraska box set since there are only four unreleased demos and no tour for it? Unless they finally release Electric Nebraska with it.
    It would be interesting to hear the electric side,  considering it was scrapped.  The beauty is the atmosphere of the record.  The mood would be so different. 
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    My introduction to Springsteen's music was through my parents with "The River" and "Born In The USA". Seems like they were always playing one of those cassettes in the car for awhile in my youth. 

I plan on revisiting Springsteen's music in the near future. I have "BitUSA", "Nebraska", "Born To Run" "The Seeger Sessions" and an Anthology mix. "The River" will definitely be the next one I grab, then go from there. He's an excellent songwriter/storyteller. He also just seems like an all around good dude. I might pick up some of his live stuff from 1980 first. Anybody have any River Tour show suggestions?

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    My introduction to Springsteen's music was through my parents with "The River" and "Born In The USA". Seems like they were always playing one of those cassettes in the car for awhile in my youth. 

I plan on revisiting Springsteen's music in the near future. I have "BitUSA", "Nebraska", "Born To Run" "The Seeger Sessions" and an Anthology mix. "The River" will definitely be the next one I grab, then go from there. He's an excellent songwriter/storyteller. He also just seems like an all around good dude. I might pick up some of his live stuff from 1980 first. Anybody have any River Tour show suggestions?

Do you mean from 81 or from the River Tour in 16?