And go..

Comments

• Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Just started recently and I went
    Born in the USA
    Born to Run
    The River
    I'm still progressing I'm thinking Nebraska next.
    Very talented song writer!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited April 2016
    I'd get the essential Bruce springsteen to start off. Gives you a really nice overview.
    For albums:
    Greatings from asbury park
    Nebraska
    Born to run
    Born in the USA
    The river
    Some later works:
    I really liked
    Magic
    Wrecking ball
    High hopes (Tom Morello) plays on this album.
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,153
    My favourites are Nebraska, Born in the USA, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and the Rising.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    Nebraska and Darkness are my two favorites but I'd suggest starting with Born to Run.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    I think you should start with Nebraska.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Ahh... Bruce. Nebraska is a wonderful place to start. But in some ways that's sort of like giving someone Yield to learn PJ. Will they appreciate it right off the bat? Maybe, maybe not.

If Bruce lived in the 19th century, we would have studied him in school, like Emerson and Thoreau. Our great grandchildren may study Bruce and Bob as examples of late 20th century poetry. The man is the best storyteller in rock history, IMO. Neil is a great songwriter, but Bruce is the ultimate storyteller.
  • Options
    I actually said Nebraska specifically because I think someone new to Springsteen would appreciate it the most and it would act as a good lead-in album (so it's like giving someone Vs., not Yield, lol ;) ). I think it is the most accessible album of his (as well as the best). I find most of his other albums are the ones that would need more warming up to.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I actually said Nebraska specifically because I think someone new to Springsteen would appreciate it the most and it would act as a good lead-in album (so it's like giving someone Vs., not Yield, lol ;) ). I think it is the most accessible album of his (as well as the best). I find most of his other albums are the ones that would need more warming up to.

That is an interesting take. I always thought because it was straight acoustic, you'd have to understand the depth of his lyrics to appreciate it, once you get past Atlantic City. I always thought Greetings, Born to Run or even Born in the USA, full of his pop hits, would be the starter package.

Either way, I agree that Nebraska is a masterpiece. It was the first record I bought when I got into vinyl.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

That is an interesting take. I always thought because it was straight acoustic, you'd have to understand the depth of his lyrics to appreciate it, once you get past Atlantic City. I always thought Greetings, Born to Run or even Born in the USA, full of his pop hits, would be the starter package.

Either way, I agree that Nebraska is a masterpiece. It was the first record I bought when I got into vinyl.
    I think that if it were still the 1980s you'd be right. But now, I think the very 70s-ness and 80s-ness of those albums are what might turn a new listener off until they got deeper into what he's all about (especially born in the USA) .... Nebraska seems more timeless to me compared to those other albums, hence, more appealing to a modern new listener who is just learning his stuff. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I think that if it were still the 1980s you'd be right. But now, I think the very 70s-ness and 80s-ness of those albums are what might turn a new listener off until they got deeper into what he's all about (especially born in the USA) .... Nebraska seems more timeless to me compared to those other albums, hence, more appealing to a modern new listener who is just learning his stuff. :)
    Agree and excellent point. They do sound a bit dated. Acoustic never does.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Agree and excellent point. They do sound a bit dated. Acoustic never does.
    Sold,I'm going to buy Nebraska on vinyl!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    ^^ Sweet! You inspired me. I just grabbed a copy off of discogs myself. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

You guys are vinyl maniacs... If I can make a non-Bruce suggestion, but if you're into acoustic... Neil Young at Massey Hall may just be both the highest quality vinyl and the best live show I own (cd, flac, vinyl). I promise you will not be disappointed if you don't already own it. It was recorded right before Harvest was released. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neil-Young-Live-At-Massey-Hall-Vinyl-New-/131753592031?hash=item1ead2044df:g:cXgAAOSwewJTmz8Y
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    Brisk. said:

Where to start with Bruce Springsteen?

And go..

The beginning.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

You guys are vinyl maniacs... If I can make a non-Bruce suggestion, but if you're into acoustic... Neil Young at Massey Hall may just be both the highest quality vinyl and the best live show I own (cd, flac, vinyl). I promise you will not be disappointed if you don't already own it. It was recorded right before Harvest was released. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neil-Young-Live-At-Massey-Hall-Vinyl-New-/131753592031?hash=item1ead2044df:g:cXgAAOSwewJTmz8Y
    Oooh, yes, that is an amazing album! And I have read that that might be his best vinyl, sound quality wise. And that is saying a LOT, because Neil Young's vinyl is always the best quality you can buy. That album is actually sitting in my Amazon wishlist... along with like 20 other albums, lol. That's the problem. ;) It will definitely end up in my collection sooner or later. No rush on it just because I already have a shitload of Neil Young albums, and I like to focus on variety. But one day. :)
  • Options
    Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    edited April 2016
    On each of his albums there are great songs that alternate being my favourite Bruce song and there are songs I don't like at all. Don't be afraid to sample randomly! And if you don't like a particular song, try something else - Greetings sounds hella different than Nebraska which sounds hella different than The Rising.
    Also skimming here I didn't see anyone mention Tunnel of Love which I know some people who say they think that's his best album. Brilliant Disguise is probably my top Bruce song atm. Also - check out Tracks, his unreleased and B-side album - dynamite songs in there including Thundercrack, one of my all time favourite songs!
    Post edited by Mignelli14 on
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    I'd start with Darkness on the Edge of Town - My favorite Bruce record and doesn't sound dated at all to my ears. After that go with Born to Run and Nebraska.

After that, in any order discover the greatness of:

The River
    The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle
    Born in the USA
    Rising
    Magic
    Tunnel of Love

and go on from there. These albums are all very different, and some took me a while to get into and there were others I loved right away. These 9 albums feature Bruce at his best, in my opinion although I do love much of his other stuff as well. And many of his outtakes are better than songs on his records, but you'll get there eventually :)

Human Touch and Ghost of Tom Joad are my least favorite Bruce records and I may have only gotten through them from beginning to end once. Tom Joad has great lyrics, but is very difficult for me to sit through. I would recommend these last, and only if you insist :)

2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options

I'd start with Darkness on the Edge of Town - My favorite Bruce record and doesn't sound dated at all to my ears. After that go with Born to Run and Nebraska.

After that, in any order discover the greatness of:

The River
    The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle
    Born in the USA
    Rising
    Magic
    Tunnel of Love

and go on from there. These albums are all very different, and some took me a while to get into and there were others I loved right away. These 9 albums feature Bruce at his best, in my opinion although I do love much of his other stuff as well. And many of his outtakes are better than songs on his records, but you'll get there eventually :)

Human Touch and Ghost of Tom Joad are my least favorite Bruce records and I may have only gotten through them from beginning to end once. Tom Joad has great lyrics, but is very difficult for me to sit through. I would recommend these last, and only if you insist :)

You're right, Darkness On The Edge Of Town would be another good option (my second fave Springsteen album :) ).
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    anyone know if the recent reissues sound any good or is it worth trying to find original pressings?
  • Options
    Croos1226 said:

anyone know if the recent reissues sound any good or is it worth trying to find original pressings?

They are very good. I don't have them all, but the ones I have are good. They have changed the side 1/2 on a few of them to prevent loss of quality in the inner groove. Purists don't like it, audiophiles do.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    mrussel1 said:

Croos1226 said:

They are very good. I don't have them all, but the ones I have are good. They have changed the side 1/2 on a few of them to prevent loss of quality in the inner groove. Purists don't like it, audiophiles do.
    True, but that said, originals always sound great, so if you can get one in good condition for less than a new pressing, get it. All about balancing expense with quality, and for someone like Springsteen, who had so many albums pressed, originals are often a good way to get quality sound for little money. I.e. On discogs, Darkness on the edge of town, original US pressing, for NM- copies, they are going for $8. I'd say in such a case, it would be a real waste of money to buy a reissue.
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    thanks mrussel1, newbury has some left over rsd stock and everything is 30% off today, so I may pick up a couple.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Croos1226 said:

thanks mrussel1, newbury has some left over rsd stock and everything is 30% off today, so I may pick up a couple.

Just check out discogs first. You might be able to get the same album, original pressing, for less than $10 (and the other day I got an NM- copy of Nebraska for $8) .... The current vinyl industry is mostly trying to rip us all off and take advantage (with the exception of when they reissue albums where the originals are going for crazy amounts of money. Good example from Newbury was the Modest Mouse reissues, but there are plenty of examples). If you always keep that in mind, you will never make bad buying decisions. ;)
  • Options
    Croos1226 said:

I actually got my Nebraska as an RSD from Newbury.. Thanks for the tip on the 30%... I'm there.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Thanks a bunch everyone. I will start listening tomorrow.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Man, get Born To Run.

I'm just getting into Bruce and it's the one that's drawing me in the most. I've got Nebraska, Born..., and Greetings. All are solid and Nebraska is probably next after Born to Run, but that's just been my mood lately and my listening Windows have been more suited to mellowed stuff.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Tried to listen to Nebrasks today on the tube but was difficult as our trains are so noisy!!! I feel like I got through half of it and it was all acoustic. Sounded good though but maybe one for the home!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Brisk. said:

Tried to listen to Nebrasks today on the tube but was difficult as our trains are so noisy!!! I feel like I got through half of it and it was all acoustic. Sounded good though but maybe one for the home!

Lol, well then Darkness on the Edge of Town is probably better for your commute, lol. It's a lot heavier. ;)
  • Options
    ^^I've tried to listen to it on a plane a few times and can't hear squat on songs like Highway Patrolman, State Trooper, etc. Definitely one for the quiet room and 'active' listening..
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:

I've been so critical of Bruce over the years. Just an artist I couldn't get into. Going to give Nebraska a go per PJ Soul's rec. Thanks PJ!
    www.cluthelee.com