Leave the phone in your pocket 2016 Tour

Comments

• I wish this practice was more prevalent in every day living. At least twice a week I almost get creamed by some asshole driving with their phone in hand.
  • I always wondered why anyone would go to a concert and then watch it through their phone. They don't bother me one bit either way. I've always just ignored them even when they are near me. I do text family and friends that are in the arena, either to find out where they are or say stuff like God Damn that was crazy good, Wholly Fuck or McCreeeeeeedy killed it. Stoneeeeey, Boooooooom!

I am happy others do record so I can watch on youtube later but I'm selfish, I like to watch and not fool around with my phone and waste the moment. I have never even took a pic with my phone at any bands show ever, other than some tailgating parking lot with friend pics. And besides I am usually always holding two beers so my hands are busy enough already :)
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,971
    I leave my phone in my hotel room so I'm not even tempted
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • I'll usually take a minute long video of the band, the venue, and the crowd during Alive. Or when the house lights get turned on.
    2010 - Boston
    2011 - Alpine 1 & 2 --- EV - Providence & Boston - Tres Mts - Boston
    2012 - Missoula
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Worcester 1 & 2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    2014 - Detroit, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016 - Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, New York City 1, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,142
    Amen..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    mcgruff10 said:

So how selfish is 5 pictures ?

Come on people stop with this. We all damn well know when the point of being douchey is crossed.
    Take a few pictures/videos and put the freaking phone away.
    I do what I want :lol:

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,283
    Def leave it in your persona in your pocket or holder what ever but I'm not leaving it behind you just never know when you might need it I'm not saying anything else ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Great idea! I support this 100%! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    vant0037 said:

pjalive21 said:

(don't get me wrong she snapped 2 great ass pics)...

Great-ass pics or great ass pics?

Interesting... ;)
    :lol: same thing I thought
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    #noscreens

I approve of this 100%! Live in the now!
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Nope. I need periscope feeds.
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,054
    Small non pro camera, with a screen that you can turn off, yes. Get it in there, see something, click and move on. I'm an actual working professional shooter, one who is used to doing shit properly, and making great pictures from GA is a lot harder than it looks.

I don't have hard stats, but prob 90% of photos taken by me on my phone are quite terrible. Even with higher res, if it's out of focus or not exposed properly, it's just a blurry datk hi res pic you're never going to look at again. Chances are pretty swell that you're not holding that thing super steady and camera movement is the first enemy of good photography.

Concert Phone Videos are stupid. They're better than nothing (if you know what I mean...), but they're still inherently stupid. And I cant see, so put that fucking giant 6 inch phone down.

Carry on.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    edited April 2016
    Post edited by ikiT on
    edited April 2016

I wish this practice was more prevalent in every day living. At least twice a week I almost get creamed by some asshole driving with their phone in hand.

This too...That car you're piloting at 59 miles per hour weighs a lot, shit for brains, AND I can see you.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Small non pro camera, with a screen that you can turn off, yes. Get it in there, see something, click and move on. I'm an actual working professional shooter, one who is used to doing shit properly, and making great pictures from GA is a lot harder than it looks.

I don't have hard stats, but prob 90% of photos taken by me on my phone are quite terrible. Even with higher res, if it's out of focus or not exposed properly, it's just a blurry datk hi res pic you're never going to look at again. Chances are pretty swell that you're not holding that thing super steady and camera movement is the first enemy of good photography.

Concert Phone Videos are stupid. They're better than nothing (if you know what I mean...), but they're still inherently stupid. And I cant see, so put that fucking giant 6 inch phone down.

Carry on.

Exactly...

Pro's, highly skilled folks, and the occasional person with a nice camera feel free to do your thing... the other 98% of us need to leave the phone in our pocket...

Last summer in Camden there was a drunk older guy in front of me at Neil Young snapping crazy pictures... all with a flash on... for like 2 hours... totally epic lol

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    and the MORONS who think flash works from far away....TURN OFF THE F'ing FLASHES!!! I have been known to put my hand in front of the people taking pics with flash....
    edited April 2016
    Flash is stupid too, even close up.

For stills, with a stage all lit up like a rock show...you need an ISO of at least 1000 to 1600 and a shutter speed of 125th to 250th of a second. you also need an f-stop of f2.8 or f2.

You can shoot RAW ( #notJPG ) and get alot of info out of the shadows on the machine afterward.

Hard to do with a small non pro camera right? Even harder with a phone.

If you don't understand this, or your phone doesn't do this, your pictures are PROBABLY not going to come out super good. The hotel room or your glove compartment is the best place for your phone.

Excuse the rant...I'm done.
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    edited April 2016
    I was at the RNDM show in Boston And in the third row. Everyone in front of me and to the left and the right and he had the phones on. Mind you, we are 5 feet away from the band, yet people need their phones to film the. entire. show.

People who do this need to get a life. Seriously.
    Post edited by Free on
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    All the phone haters on here better stay off the periscope feeds. I will dropping hearts all over the place.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,052
    I support this request fully!

Not much is more annoying than to be looking at a bunch of glowing screens when you're trying to see the stage.

The Vic show was the worst I have seen. Some girl in front of us had her phone slapped out of her hand at least three times, was asked politely to put it away and threatened by security. She still didn't care and insisted on taping the whole show.

Watch the show in real life!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    BS44325 said:

All the phone haters on here better stay off the periscope feeds. I will dropping hearts all over the place.

who gives a shit about periscope...
    periscope blows
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    I cant do that
    I put it in my pocket and i like when the notification at setlist thread cones cos it vibrates
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,404

I cant do that
    I put it in my pocket and i like when the notification at setlist thread cones cos it vibrates

You just like the vibration in your pants. It has nothing to do with the setlist thread.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    If you're at the show, what does the setlist thread matter?
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    edited April 2016
    I thought periscope was pretty awesome during the South American tour. I hope people will be doing it for the shows I can't make it too this tour.
    NYPJ
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    mcgruff10 said:

I cant do that

You just like the vibration in your pants. It has nothing to do with the setlist thread.
    True that
    my2hands said:

If you're at the show, what does the setlist thread matter?

I relay the show ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    mcgruff10 said:

I cant do that

:get_outta_here:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • I support this as well.
    I think it's inevitable to miss things out if you are just busy trying to get the best shot or trying not to drop your phone.
    Trust your senses to get the best recollection of the show! :)
  • Great Tread - I support this and will leave my phone in my pocket, I promise (you know, in case of a emergency, bla, bla)