Man buns, beards and all things hairy

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    My dad used to do the weekly old-school barber shop shave - every weekend. The kind of place that used straight-edge razors, hot washcloths, twirling pole out front. At home, he would use a brush to apply the shaving cream. Slap on that white stick stuff over the inevitable cuts. Aftershave after that? Ouch!

I'd sit cross-legged on the closed toilet watching him.

Great memories! And just had a vision of Homer Simpson for some reason =)

chadwick, please report to this thread.
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    ^^^:rofl:

I def don't mind the hair longer than mine esp since I prefer to keep my hair in a pixie and I do like some dudes with long hair....and yeah even though Rob Zombie is kind of a tool....he is hot...my fave guy aside from Ed....Christian Kane he had long hair until recently when he took a new role and they cut it all off...I nearly died...he had long curly hair oh it was something to behold! It was so sexy!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    :rofl: good one Malroth!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    I came home tonight and the MR. has his hair in a mini pony. I had no idea it was long enough to do it. mmmm...I like it :giggle:
    This also means I'll come home some night next week and it will be side part boycut again. Boo.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,898
    I've got the "hard part" and beard going....my wife likes neither.....but I am the master of my own destiny (for now)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My wife has never seen my chin.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

I've never seen my hubby's chin either....except via old HS photos...lol
    Tattooed Dissident!
    PJSiren said:

rgambs said:

I've never seen my hubby's chin either....except via old HS photos...lol
    Haha yep, same here, except I have to note that we started dating in high school, summer after freshman year. I grew my beard out in the summer before freshman year so she has to look at middle school pics lol
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144

I'm 38, almost 39, and have been bald since the age of 22. I had the donut first and in the last 3-4 years the rest of the top has been thinning out a good bit. I shave my head using a #1 guard once every 4-6 weeks and have been doing so since the baldness began.
    I pretty much keep a beard year round but I trim it often using a #2 guard. I shave my neck with a blade roughly twice a week, and on the third shave, I'll trim the beard up. I keep it just below my chin line. I tried one time to let my beard grow out; made it 6 weeks and just couldn't stand it anymore. Actually couldn't stand it around the 4 week mark but tried to keep it going.

I'm growing a beard for the first time ever right now (only 9 days in) and I'm concerned about shaping it. Should I go to a barber for the first time? It needs to look professional, otherwise I'd just let it grow like crazy haha.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

I'm 38, almost 39, and have been bald since the age of 22. I had the donut first and in the last 3-4 years the rest of the top has been thinning out a good bit. I shave my head using a #1 guard once every 4-6 weeks and have been doing so since the baldness began.
    I pretty much keep a beard year round but I trim it often using a #2 guard. I shave my neck with a blade roughly twice a week, and on the third shave, I'll trim the beard up. I keep it just below my chin line. I tried one time to let my beard grow out; made it 6 weeks and just couldn't stand it anymore. Actually couldn't stand it around the 4 week mark but tried to keep it going.

I'm growing a beard for the first time ever right now (only 9 days in) and I'm concerned about shaping it. Should I go to a barber for the first time? It needs to look professional, otherwise I'd just let it grow like crazy haha.
    Please don't let Michael Stipe be your guide on this one. Love the guy. Don't love his beard. :fearful:

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    deadendp said:

Please don't let Michael Stipe be your guide on this one. Love the guy. Don't love his beard. :fearful:

:lol: mine will be professional and trimmed at all time I promise :smile:
    severed hand thirteen
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    hairy mongrels are us
    cha-ching
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Stipe! OMG it looks bloody awful
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    I didn't know where to post this. Figured here was as good as anywhere.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/everything-you-risk-when-bleaching-your-anus

You're welcome, Sprunkn7 :wink:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,123

You could do that if you want. I would just get an electric beard trimmer though. I've got one made by Norelco (I think) and it does just fine with trimming and shaping. Once you get the shape of it set, it's not too bad maintenance wise.

You could do that if you want. I would just get an electric beard trimmer though. I've got one made by Norelco (I think) and it does just fine with trimming and shaping. Once you get the shape of it set, it's not too bad maintenance wise.
    Okay thanks. I'm a little scared setting the shape myself. I'd hate to mess it up and have several weeks growth down the drain.
    severed hand thirteen
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013

Okay thanks. I'm a little scared setting the shape myself. I'd hate to mess it up and have several weeks growth down the drain.
    ^^^THIS is why my sink is always clogged! I tried putting the mesh hair catcher in the drain, and he just pulls it up out of the drain. :angry:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited March 2016
    dankind said:

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/everything-you-risk-when-bleaching-your-anus

First I read about docking the inflated dinghy now this ^^^ Jesus Dan you seemed like such a nice fellow :lol:

AND the link should really go under Heath and Beauty tips since "bleaching", which I am now educated enough to know, is really exfoliating and has nothing to do with hair at all....Pink Wink...Good grief!

Post edited by Sprunkn7 on
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Sprunkn7 said:

dankind said:

First I read about docking the inflated dinghy now this ^^^ Jesus Dan you seemed like such a nice fellow :lol:

I am nice! When her little man in the boat needs attention, I dive right into the current and get to work.

And this bleaching thing was just a PSA.

As for hair, you know I'm a hirsute fella.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    :rofl: Dan :rofl:

Lots of inappropriate laughing at work today hahahaha
    BRIDESMAIDS! I don't even have to hit play on that to know exactly what is said, I've seen that movie enough times....:rofl:
    Tattooed Dissident!

One slip up and you've got an interesting new design :lol: Seriously though, be very meticulous the first time you go about shaping it up and it should turn out fine. I was hesitant about setting the shape of my goatee. Just trim a little bit at a time until you get it to something you like.

One slip up and you've got an interesting new design :lol: Seriously though, be very meticulous the first time you go about shaping it up and it should turn out fine. I was hesitant about setting the shape of my goatee. Just trim a little bit at a time until you get it to something you like.
    I'll add to this...just because I cut my own hair....and have used clippers...go very slow....and you'll be fine.
    Tattooed Dissident!
    RKCNDY said:

^^^THIS is why my sink is always clogged! I tried putting the mesh hair catcher in the drain, and he just pulls it up out of the drain. :angry:
    I stand over the toilet when I'm trimming the length of my goatee down. That way it doesn't clog the drains. Plus, as an extra bonus, I'll just close the lid so that the next time my wife goes to use the toilet she thinks there's a drowned rat in there :lol: That might be her pet peeve of mine fot the other thread...

Scissors is the only way to be sure you won't gouge out a sizeable chunk...the trimmers are dangerous, you can easily wreck it. Trim it after a shower when it is fluffed out the most...
    And I just realized that doesn't really apply to a few week old beard lol that's for a few month old beard.

I spread a towel over the bathroom sink, trim onto it, and then shake it out on my compost pile...no mess, no fuss!
    I wouldn't want the beard hair in the septic tank, the strands are easily 3x as thick as head hair and keratin breaks down very slowly.
    wow, I am learning so much! Guys DO spend time grooming!
    grooming sucks. i only do it once every 19 months or so. then the first few weeks after trimming up im a total dork

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    constant grooming is for fancy little whatnots & bullshit artists

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is