Options

RIP Nancy Reagan

2»

Comments

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    During Reagan's presidency, it was well publicized that he called her Mommy. Supposedly White House staff did not like taking what they called the "Mommy calls."

I was not a fan of either Reagan. As a First Lady, I found her to be cold and condescending. Her manner, her dress, how she decorated, all spoke loud and clear: "I am better than you."

I don't need to add to the commentary on her "Just Say No" campaign and the War on Drugs. I wish she had used her position as First Lady to take on a more important social issue. My own suggestion would be the emergence of the AIDS epidemic. Unfortunately, the Reagan administration ignored a massive public health threat for at least 3 years and then only responded judgmentally.

The one thing I admired about Reagan was when he went public with his Alzheimer's diagnosis. And Nancy absolutely has my respect for her years as his caregiver and for bucking the Republican establishment by calling for research into stem cell treatment for the disease.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    edited March 2016
    brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

"just say no" about the stupidest thing ever.

How someone could think educating our children to "just say no" is the "stupidest thing ever" boggles the mind. We need far more of this and far less imprisonment.
    If only it was a simple (albeit ridiculously naive and unrealistic) educational message. Unfortunately the Reagan era drug war was accompanied by skyrocketing incarceration rates, institutionalized racism and government involvement in the drug trade ( to fund reagan's wars), and the rise of zero-credibility practise of using cops to educate kids on health issues (DARE). Old mother Reagan was the face of this disaster, and the main proponent of the hysteria that allowed all of this to happen. I have a hard time seeing her campaign as educational benevolence, as do many others apparently.
    I agree with you on a lot of those things...the war on drugs has been and still is a massive failure. The message of "just say no" though is not wrong, not naive and doesn't make you a supporter of the wider war on drugs by repeating it. Teaching kids not to use/abuse is and will always be important. Case in point...I tell my kids every day not to smoke...not to be peer pressured..."just say no" if you will. Now I don't doubt that they won't have a smoke at some point but I sure hope they don't become smokers. This goes with drugs as well...I've seen the needle and the damage done...just had a friend lose his battle with addiction. I know too many people who have been messed up by coke. Kids need to know that some drugs have inherent dangers and that saying no in social situations is ok. "Just say no" shouldn't be scoffed at...it's good parenting 101.
    Speaking for myself, I get what you're saying, BS and it's cool that you care for kids well being but I think kids are smarter than we give them credit. They see through little sayings like "just say no". And the saying is a form of denial by using the word, "just", like it's "simple" to avoid peer pressure.

When I was 15 I started smoking because my friends though it was cool and I wanted to be accepted by them. My parents basically wanted me to "just say no". If they had explained that it really can be difficult to say no to your friends because you want to belong, if they had told me that if my friends rejected me for not smoking then maybe they weren't really my friends after all, if they had taken me to a hospital to meet a patient with throat cancer, or even just explained what that looks like (not a pretty sight), if they had just been open an honest I might not have ever smoked those nasty cancer sticks.

I believe there's no "just" about it, that's all.
    Remember the "this is your brain on drugs" egg in a frying pan ad that was everywhere back then supporting the say no to drugs campaign? Well I had this poster in my room when I was a kid, and me and my friends thought it was hilarious when we were high.

Yeah, say no to drugs is ridiculous. Kids don't respond to shit like that.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,191
    I appreciate her getting me out of "kindergarden" class in 1984 to let go of all those "Just Say No" balloons.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited March 2016
    I don't know much about Nancy Reagan, however her public image appeared to always be the same. She looked at her husband the President with such adoration all the the time that caught my eye. She certainly seemed to have found her life partner now she shall join him. RIP.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    So in the same era as just say no, education funding was being cut eliminating music programs art programs some sport programs necessitating the need for larger class sizes fewer teachers and some of that money was channeled into the Dare program and this just say no program

This strikes me as well feeling inadequate, similar to the abstinence-only sex education we see prevalent in the South and other republican-held areas. When pointed out the ways in which it does not work seems as if these facts seem to be ignored and we Press On with unrealistic
    PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

How someone could think educating our children to "just say no" is the "stupidest thing ever" boggles the mind. We need far more of this and far less imprisonment.
    If only it was a simple (albeit ridiculously naive and unrealistic) educational message. Unfortunately the Reagan era drug war was accompanied by skyrocketing incarceration rates, institutionalized racism and government involvement in the drug trade ( to fund reagan's wars), and the rise of zero-credibility practise of using cops to educate kids on health issues (DARE). Old mother Reagan was the face of this disaster, and the main proponent of the hysteria that allowed all of this to happen. I have a hard time seeing her campaign as educational benevolence, as do many others apparently.
    I agree with you on a lot of those things...the war on drugs has been and still is a massive failure. The message of "just say no" though is not wrong, not naive and doesn't make you a supporter of the wider war on drugs by repeating it. Teaching kids not to use/abuse is and will always be important. Case in point...I tell my kids every day not to smoke...not to be peer pressured..."just say no" if you will. Now I don't doubt that they won't have a smoke at some point but I sure hope they don't become smokers. This goes with drugs as well...I've seen the needle and the damage done...just had a friend lose his battle with addiction. I know too many people who have been messed up by coke. Kids need to know that some drugs have inherent dangers and that saying no in social situations is ok. "Just say no" shouldn't be scoffed at...it's good parenting 101.
    Speaking for myself, I get what you're saying, BS and it's cool that you care for kids well being but I think kids are smarter than we give them credit. They see through little sayings like "just say no". And the saying is a form of denial by using the word, "just", like it's "simple" to avoid peer pressure.

When I was 15 I started smoking because my friends though it was cool and I wanted to be accepted by them. My parents basically wanted me to "just say no". If they had explained that it really can be difficult to say no to your friends because you want to belong, if they had told me that if my friends rejected me for not smoking then maybe they weren't really my friends after all, if they had taken me to a hospital to meet a patient with throat cancer, or even just explained what that looks like (not a pretty sight), if they had just been open an honest I might not have ever smoked those nasty cancer sticks.

Remember the "this is your brain on drugs" egg in a frying pan ad that was everywhere back then supporting the say no to drugs campaign? Well I had this poster in my room when I was a kid, and me and my friends thought it was hilarious when we were high.

I jokingly always said I preferred mine scrambled.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    mickeyrat said:

So in the same era as just say no, education funding was being cut eliminating music programs art programs some sport programs necessitating the need for larger class sizes fewer teachers and some of that money was channeled into the Dare program and this just say no program

This strikes me as well feeling inadequate, similar to the abstinence-only sex education we see prevalent in the South and other republican-held areas. When pointed out the ways in which it does not work seems as if these facts seem to be ignored and we Press On with unrealistic

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

mine must be poached then lol
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

Haha! Yup, been there!

Could be worse: "over easy" (a push-over) or maybe like mine sometimes: "hard boiled" (stubborn), LOL
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Amateurs!

Shirred is where it's at.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Amateurs!

Shirred is where it's at.

"Shirred"? Is that when you too tanked to say, "My brains are blurred?"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Shirred is like quone - you know, to QUONE something.

(actually, shirred eggs are a real thing though I've never partaken)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Shirred is like quone - you know, to QUONE something.

(actually, shirred eggs are a real thing though I've never partaken)

Quone: Fictional medical term, but can be used to mean something you have to do and can't remember the word to say.

From Seinfeld!

I had to look that one up.

Two points, Hedo!!

• Options
    Hahaha - three back to you for your research efforts!
  • Options
    Thanks!! :smiley:

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    i never liked him, but i always thought she was a classy lady. i admired how she changed her position on stem cell research. even if the change was directly because that research could have potentially helped Ronnie. RIP Mrs Reagan.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    g under p said:

She certainly seemed to have found her life partner now she shall join him. RIP.

Peace

They exhuming Ronny and putting Nancy in with him?
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    that's about as useful as a used fire extinguisher
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    BS44325 said:

brianlux said:

BS44325 said:

BS44325 said:

Wobbie said:

not a fan.

I think that's fair because it certainly isn't simple. The point I am making is that as parents we should be having the conversation and include all those points you just mentioned above. Teach "no" with the caveat that we get "no" ain't always easy.
    the marketing campaign was simple. you can't have a drawn out explanation for the tagline. the message was exactly as stated above by Brian. parents/teachers were tasked with explaining it. the government was simply encouraging the conversation.

that being said, if you raise confident children, it really is "just" that simple.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com