Options

Will you miss the Obama's?

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,190

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

I will. He would get my vote a third time if I could give it. Trump will bring chaos, Clinton scandal, Sanders establishment revolt...all of which the victims will be we the people. The Age of Obama has not been perfect but I do fear we will soon look back on it and realize it to have been far better than what comes next.

i agree.

i think for me i will not miss them so much as lament what could have been had he had even a hint of an agreeable congress. i hope history judges this congress as harshly as it deserves.

i will miss the decorum that the obamas bring to national events and diplomatic events. bush did not have it, trump nor any republican president will not have it.
    Exactly.

The point of being a leader is finding ways to get what you want done without being a bully. Obama never figured that out. So, you can keep blaming congress which is more than appropriate, but he deserves equal heapings if not more because he is a singular leader who simply could not figure out how to do what he needed to do. In any other walk of life, he would have been fired as a CEO which is what the President is.
    oh puhlease.

do you ever think that maybe he became a bully after 3 years of being absolutely stifled at every turn? the night he was sworn in mitch mcconnell said his number one job is to oppose him at every turn. should he have been all "oh shucks, i guess i better not try to accomplish anything", or should he have tried to implement what he could of his agenda?

should he have pulled a trump and said how many times he has "been treated unfairly" and just done nothing?

not only was he not fired, he was elected in two landslides. the second time bigger than the first. name a ceo who has done that.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,802

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

I will. He would get my vote a third time if I could give it. Trump will bring chaos, Clinton scandal, Sanders establishment revolt...all of which the victims will be we the people. The Age of Obama has not been perfect but I do fear we will soon look back on it and realize it to have been far better than what comes next.

i agree.

i think for me i will not miss them so much as lament what could have been had he had even a hint of an agreeable congress. i hope history judges this congress as harshly as it deserves.

i will miss the decorum that the obamas bring to national events and diplomatic events. bush did not have it, trump nor any republican president will not have it.
    Exactly.

The point of being a leader is finding ways to get what you want done without being a bully. Obama never figured that out. So, you can keep blaming congress which is more than appropriate, but he deserves equal heapings if not more because he is a singular leader who simply could not figure out how to do what he needed to do. In any other walk of life, he would have been fired as a CEO which is what the President is.
    My take on that is that congress and others involved in the process (like anyone who does more than just vote or talk about what should be done) is where most of the decisions should come from, not one man. Obama represented us well and with class. When is the last time we had that in a president? You might have to be at least as old as I am to answer that question honestly (although I liked Carter in many ways for some of the same reasons).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    he still has a year left in his term. it seems funny to me that we are talking about him in the past tense already.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options

he still has a year left in his term. it seems funny to me that we are talking about him in the past tense already.

Good point. And it's also worth noting that he will remain an important figure after the next election. I'm guessing he still has a lot of great work to do in coming years.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    ...and Mrs. Obama too!

• Options

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

oh puhlease.

do you ever think that maybe he became a bully after 3 years of being absolutely stifled at every turn? the night he was sworn in mitch mcconnell said his number one job is to oppose him at every turn. should he have been all "oh shucks, i guess i better not try to accomplish anything", or should he have tried to implement what he could of his agenda?

should he have pulled a trump and said how many times he has "been treated unfairly" and just done nothing?

not only was he not fired, he was elected in two landslides. the second time bigger than the first. name a ceo who has done that.
    3 years? He bullied a misguided health law through without allowing anyone to read it then didn't allow the tough things to go into effect until he's leaving office.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Good point. And it's also worth noting that he will remain an important figure after the next election. I'm guessing he still has a lot of great work to do in coming years.
    he has stated that his political career is not going to end. maybe he will go back to community organizing in chicago? since that is such a joke of a position to his detractors... am i right?

• Options
    brianlux said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

My take on that is that congress and others involved in the process (like anyone who does more than just vote or talk about what should be done) is where most of the decisions should come from, not one man. Obama represented us well and with class. When is the last time we had that in a president? You might have to be at least as old as I am to answer that question honestly (although I liked Carter in many ways for some of the same reasons).
    Carter was the worst President of my lifetime. Though interestingly, someone pointed out and I agree that while being the worst president he has had the best post Presidentcy (is that a word?).

Maybe, it's just that nice people just don't make effective Presidents.
  • Options

Ha ha. True. Plus, his most important and lasting legacy lies ahead (Supreme Court).
  • Options

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Carter was the worst President of my lifetime. Though interestingly, someone pointed out and I agree that while being the worst president he has had the best post Presidentcy (is that a word?).

Maybe, it's just that nice people just don't make effective Presidents.
    The ever well spoken conservative commentator and author, Andrew Bacevich would strongly disagree. Check out his book, The Limits of Power, an excellent read.

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

The republicans knew this guy was going to be a rock star and did everything they could to thwart that from happening. An affective and attractive young minority president!!! Oh hell no. . This could unseat republicans and their corporate war profiteering businesses.

And think he accomplished a lot in spite of an obstructionist house and senate.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

oh puhlease.

3 years? He bullied a misguided health law through without allowing anyone to read it then didn't allow the tough things to go into effect until he's leaving office.
    A bad ass health law that keeps millions from going bankrupt if they break their leg.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

The republicans knew this guy was going to be a rock star and did everything they could to thwart that from happening. An affective and attractive young minority president!!! Oh hell no. . This could unseat republicans and their corporate war profiteering businesses.

Didn't he have a democratic congress for a good bit then the populace changed that based on the direction the country had taken? Be careful the motives you attribute to others. It's often a mirror.
  • Options

callen said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

Didn't he have a democratic congress for a good bit then the populace changed that based on the direction the country had taken? Be careful the motives you attribute to others. It's often a mirror.
    Two years and yes democrats are horrible about voting and the right was motivated to vote as their realities were being questioned.

Elaborate on motives I'm attributing to others.

• Options

Ha ha. True. Plus, his most important and lasting legacy lies ahead (Supreme Court).
    i agree. this may be why the gop is fighting tooth and nail against a nominee, any nominee. not only do they want to be jerks during his two terms, but they want to deny him his legacy too. that is pretty hateful if you ask me.

• Options

callen said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

obama had a filibuster proof majority in the senate for only 72 days.

72 days. rush limbaugh will tell you it was 2 plus years. not true.

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2012/09/the-myth-of-the-filibuster-proof-democratic-senate/

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,722

callen said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

http://sandiegofreepress.org/2012/09/the-myth-of-the-filibuster-proof-democratic-senate/
    And that doesn't give him a rubber stamp either. His domestic legacy is pinned on healthcare (even if it changes) and the foreign policy is on Iran. Presidents are never remembered for 15 things. It's the one or two big things they did, or for being a war president.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,974

callen said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

Martha Coakley's Senate campaign was a joke and she deserved to get beaten. Also perfectly indicative of the current state of the Democratic Party. When a candidate loses you a longheld Senate seat you obviously then run her for Governor and allow her to lose that to the Republicans, too. SMH Massachusetts.

"In all, Democrats had a shaky 60 vote supermajority for all of four months and one week; from the time Kennedy’s interim successor Paul Kirk was sworn in on September 24th until the time Republican Scott Brown was sworn in as Kennedy’s “permanent” replacement after his special election victory over Democratic disappointment, Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley. In a state that is heavily Democratic, it seems that Coakley figured she didn’t have to actually campaign for the Senate seat; that Massachusetts voters would automatically elect the Democrat to replace the legendary Kennedy. No way Massachusetts would send a Republican to replace Ted Kennedy. Brown took the election seriously, Coakley did not, and Brown won (he will, however, lose this November to Elizabeth Warren, and all will be right with the world again)."

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited February 2016

callen said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

That's the threshold for a good leader to get things done? Filibuster proof? Ha ha ha ha ha.

He had both houses for 2 years. Not filibuster proof, but 2 years is more than most Presidents get. And if he was so great, why did that change? Shouldn't the people who elected hi have been able to elect him a filibuster proof (if that is in fact what a good leader needs) congress?

I would never want a president even one I liked to have a filibuster proof legislature. I like the fact it tends to swing against the president. Once again shows the genius of the founding fathers.
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
  • Options

callen said:

brianlux said:

JimmyV said:

i agree.

Exactly.

Hog wash

That's the threshold for a good leader to get things done? Filibuster proof? Ha ha ha ha ha.

He had both houses for 2 years. Not filibuster proof, but 2 years is more than most Presidents get. And if he was so great, why did that change? Shouldn't the people who elected hi have been able to elect him a filibuster proof (if that is in fact what a good leader needs) congress?

I would never want a president even one I liked to have a filibuster proof legislature. I like the fact it tends to swing against the president. Once again shows the genius of the founding fathers.
    in this climate you have to have a filibuster proof majority in the senate to get cloture to force a vote. you have to have 60 votes in the senate to advance anything.

for example. obama holds the white house. the dems hold a small majority in the senate, say 54 seats. the minority party has the power to where they can stall and prevent any legislation from coming to a vote. any motion has to carry 60 votes to either move forward for debate on the floor or to move forward with a vote. this power of the minority party to hold the senate hostage on a particular motion is called the filibuster. back in the day they could not just say "i filibuster that nominee" and move on to something else.they used to have to hold the floor and talk continuously for hours, sometimes days. nowadays, they can just declare a filibuster and move on to something else. this is precisely why nothing can get done in the senate. most things pass by simple majority, but to force it to a vote you have to get 60 votes. the senate is so divided that no republicans would vote for anything the dems supported, and vice versa. there are still judicial seats that obama nominated that are vacant because the gop invoked the filibuster. the last 2 senates have used the filibuster more than any senate in american history.

obama has faced more filibusters than the last several preisdents combined.

http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/brookings-now/posts/2013/11/chart-recent-history-of-senate-cloture-votes-to-end-filibusters

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/senate-gops-unprecedented-obstruction-five-charts

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

I confess that I don't know what a cloture votes on executive nominee is. It has something to do with filibustering (and I think a cloture vote has something to do with time limits, right?) but I've never stayed with either topic long enough to really wrap my head around how a filibuster works or how it is affected by a cloture vote and who does the voting. I really should learn these two things.

• Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Did someone say

Puhlease?
  • Options
    #makedonalddrumpfagain

• Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited February 2016
    Won't miss them or breathe a sigh of relief. He's done some good and he's far from worst but he's overrated. He's just *there* to me even if he's better than Dubya.

I don't hate him like Hillary, though. She's pure scum just like the GOP.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    All Americans will miss Obama, even if they don't realize it or won't admit it...
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    mrussel1 said:

yeah right.....good riddance, I can't wait to see them both slither out of the white house.
    I don't know if Trump (or who ever wins) will be a good president but I'm ready for "real change"
    although Hitlery worries me.....

Godfather.

Hitlery? You are saying there are comparisons between Hillary Clinton and the leader of Third Reich? Do you just pull your cool nicknames from fellow Drudge Report devotees? Shall we talk about Libtards and Obummer too?
    hahahhahahah I like that..Obummer hahahhahahahhahahahah

Godfather.