Options

Trump

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,739

She's starting to pull ahead and Johnson's support is waning....

Yes. Last week I made a comment that the race is retreating to a traditional left/right narrative. When that happens, third parties start to fall. That seems to happen every election cycle as people start realizing that one of these two (whichever two) will be president. I think Gary's latest flub last week on Hardball hurt him even on top of the natural course of the race. Bernie has also brought up a few comments about how if his supporters looked at the Johnson's platform, they would see how he does not represent their interests. This is very, very true.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    "...it allows me to reinvest in neighborhood workers, building amazing structures all over the place...."

Thats why he avoided paying taxes for 20 years. Thanks Drumpf.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,066
    mrussel1 said:

Yes. Last week I made a comment that the race is retreating to a traditional left/right narrative. When that happens, third parties start to fall. That seems to happen every election cycle as people start realizing that one of these two (whichever two) will be president. I think Gary's latest flub last week on Hardball hurt him even on top of the natural course of the race. Bernie has also brought up a few comments about how if his supporters looked at the Johnson's platform, they would see how he does not represent their interests. This is very, very true.
    Exactly....I don't see how a Sanders supporter could vote for Johnson. Makes no sense at all.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,842

mrussel1 said:

Exactly....I don't see how a Sanders supporter could vote for Johnson. Makes no sense at all.
    That I agree with. The implication (if I'm reading things right here) that third parties are irrelevant I don't agree with.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

That I agree with. The implication (if I'm reading things right here) that third parties are irrelevant I don't agree with.
    No judgment made on third parties at all. I was pointing out that the election is retreating to its normal left/right tendencies where the third parties pull far less than 5%. That doesn't mean they can't affect an election (see Nader and Perot obviously). I think Johnson's lack of international experience and knowledge has really hurt him recently though. You can see in the most recent state polls that his support dumped dramatically.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I'm very surprised at how bad Johnson is on his feet. He would get smoked if he was on that debate stage.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I don't want to defend the clown, but news headlines have been pretty liberal with the PTSD quote. They are taking three words and adding them to a sentence he didn't say.
  • Options
    “When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat — and they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it,” Trump said. “And they see horror stories. They see events that you couldn’t see in a movie. Nobody would believe it.”

Trump said basically "some of you are strong enough to handle it...others aren't"

That's bullshit.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I shudder thinking about the sheer volume of stupid shit this man would excrete from his mouth in 4 years of being POTUS, particularly after 8 years of Obama. He has been classy, dignified, and intelligent with his statements. He is unassailable in that regard.

I can only think of a single thing he said that was a stupid thing to say, which was:
    "...You didn't build that..."
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I shudder thinking about the sheer volume of stupid shit this man would excrete from his mouth in 4 years of being POTUS, particularly after 8 years of Obama. He has been classy, dignified, and intelligent with his statements. He is unassailable in that regard.

I can only think of a single thing he said that was a stupid thing to say, which was:

"clinging to your guns and religion" was silly too, regardless of the accuracy. But you are absolutely right. Trump says more dumB things in 20 minutes than Obama has in 9 years of campaign and office.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,717
    edited October 2016
    dignin said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

Hillary would be stupid not to go after Trump for not paying taxes.

Voters are in near-universal agreement, though, that paying taxes is every American's civic duty. Nearly 9-in-10 feel that way while just 12% say they see taxes as an unnecessary burden to be avoided. Even among Trump backers, 79% see them as a civic duty.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/03/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-presidential-polls/index.html

My first thought is, what a bunch of hypocrites and liars. There is no way I'm believing that any of those people wouldn't use relevant tax laws to pay as few taxes as they are legally obligated to. Easy to say when it's about someone else, but if they can save their OWN money, they will.

I really don't know what you are trying to argue here. This is politics. This is an issue that hurts Trump. 9 out of 10 Americans think he is offside.

Also, Romney paid more taxes than he had to... because he was smart and he wanted to be president. It was a big issue 4 years ago, because people thought he didn't pay enough.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/romney-paid-required-raising-tax-rate-141-percent/story?id=17291504
    I'm arguing that 9 out of 10 people are happy to say that "it is very American's civic duty to pay taxes" when it isn't their own taxes. I'm saying that they are faking their principles. I'm not making a comment about Trump, just the people who responded to these polls.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianlux said:

mrussel1 said:

I don't think third parties are irrelevant in the US..... they are just irrelevant as far as being potential winners of a federal election. Even though the US is set up to keep a third party from winning the election forever, that doesn't mean the third parties don't bring some valuable issues to public consciousness, and that has value.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mrussel1 said:

rgambs said:

"clinging to your guns and religion" was silly too, regardless of the accuracy. But you are absolutely right. Trump says more dumB things in 20 minutes than Obama has in 9 years of campaign and office.
    Yeah, I forgot about that one.
    That one is true for sure lol but, yeah, not a smart thing to say
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

• Options
    http://www.nbcnews.com/card/michael-reagan-blasts-trump-rnc-not-party-reagan-n659266

This is great....Reagan's son destroys the GOP
    Michael Reagan, the son of late President Ronald Reagan and his first wife Jane Wyman, has publicly spoken out against Republican nominee Donald Trump and the RNC for its support of him.

Reagan took Trump to task on Twitter for insinuating that Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton is unfaithful to her husband, former President Bill Clinton. "If this is where he is going I cannot follow him," Reagan tweeted.

Were his father alive, he would not support Trump either, Reagan said.

"My father would not support this kind of campaign, if this is what the Republican Party wants, leave us Reagans out," he wrote. Reagan added that though Nancy Reagan was not his mother, he is certain that she would have supported Hillary Clinton. He claims that she was appalled at the comparisons between Trump and her husband.

Reagan is also not fond of the comparisons between Trump and his father, and said he was embarrassed by Trump.

"If the RNC supports this, I can't support the RNC," he tweeted.

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

http://www.nbcnews.com/card/michael-reagan-blasts-trump-rnc-not-party-reagan-n659266

This is great....Reagan's son destroys the GOP

Michael Reagan, the son of late President Ronald Reagan and his first wife Jane Wyman, has publicly spoken out against Republican nominee Donald Trump and the RNC for its support of him.

Reagan took Trump to task on Twitter for insinuating that Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton is unfaithful to her husband, former President Bill Clinton. "If this is where he is going I cannot follow him," Reagan tweeted.

Were his father alive, he would not support Trump either, Reagan said.

"My father would not support this kind of campaign, if this is what the Republican Party wants, leave us Reagans out," he wrote. Reagan added that though Nancy Reagan was not his mother, he is certain that she would have supported Hillary Clinton. He claims that she was appalled at the comparisons between Trump and her husband.

Reagan is also not fond of the comparisons between Trump and his father, and said he was embarrassed by Trump.

"If the RNC supports this, I can't support the RNC," he tweeted.

Not saying that I don't disagree with him, but a lot of people said the same thing about his dad

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    Trump is campaigning in Arizona in October. That seems like a bit of a problem...
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    rgambs said:

mrussel1 said:

rgambs said:

Yeah, I forgot about that one.
    That one is true for sure lol but, yeah, not a smart thing to say
    Let us not forget this:
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/barackobamavideos/youtube/obama-57-states.htm
  • Options

Trump is campaigning in Arizona in October. That seems like a bit of a problem...

He's just trying to avoid embarrassment at this point. Still time left but OH, FL and NC just flipped to Clinton (again)

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627

He's just trying to avoid embarrassment at this point. Still time left but OH, FL and NC just flipped to Clinton (again)
    Apparently. Though Silver doesn't have it as particularly close so either it's some sort of panic, incompetence or probably some combination of both...
  • Options

Apparently. Though Silver doesn't have it as particularly close so either it's some sort of panic, incompetence or probably some combination of both...
    It's too bad this isn't like a football game where going up by 35 in the 3rd is pretty much all she wrote. This is inherently a 40/40 country. It just so happens the demographics favor Democrats in the E.College right now. I think the race will tighten again, particularly if Trump does not commit anymore self decapitating wounds. Then it comes down to the ground game.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    I would think Trump can't handle the fact that his running mate's performance further illustrates how sophomoric his own performance was. Perhaps this will force him to cram a little more prep in before Sunday...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting debate (kind of..)

I'd give Pence a B+ on performance considering he was working with F material
    I'd give Kaine a C performance and he was working with B+ material

It was generally a substance debate which is really nice. Pence certainly secured the right flank which looks like what his objective was. He came off as he is... a right wing conservative. If that's your thing, then he did a good job.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,970

I would think Trump can't handle the fact that his running mate's performance further illustrates how sophomoric his own performance was. Perhaps this will force him to cram a little more prep in before Sunday...

I'd love to eat my words, but we've seen literally nothing unexpected from Trump so far (in this campaign, for sure - in the public eye in his life - more or less): nothing but sensationalist, isolationist, racist, sexist, xenophobic remarks (most of them illogically constructed). Based on this, my guess is that we'll see more of the same.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

I'd love to eat my words, but we've seen literally nothing unexpected from Trump so far (in this campaign, for sure - in the public eye in his life - more or less): nothing but sensationalist, isolationist, racist, sexist, xenophobic remarks (most of them illogically constructed). Based on this, my guess is that we'll see more of the same.
    I agree...even if he tries to appear more "normal" Clinton will pull him back in and he'll implode.

I could be completely wrong but I don't think Martha Raddatz is going to put up with any of his shit.

• Options
    http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-tax-attorney-he-didnt-understand-code-n660111?cid=sm_fb
    An attorney who oversaw Donald Trump's income tax returns in the mid-1990s said the Republican presidential candidate had little interest in the tax code — contrasting with the billionaire's claim that he understood taxes "better than anyone" who had run for the White House.

"As far as I know, and that only goes through late '96, he didn't understand the code," said Jack Mitnick, a former tax adviser for Trump, in an interview with NBC's TODAY. "Nor would he have had the time and the patience to learn the provisions. That's a lifetime of experience."
    Hilarious....as a CPA I can relate to this. I wouldn't expect Trump to know the tax laws and be able to put together his tax return. But I also wouldn't expect him to claim to be an expert at it.

• Options

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
  • Options
    dignin said:
    :tired_face: The tweets man. *shake my head* What is wrong with this guy? I can't fucking believe someone who tweets like that is actually running for President. So weird.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,393
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:
    :tired_face: The tweets man. *shake my head* What is wrong with this guy? I can't fucking believe someone who tweets like that is actually running for President. So weird.
    I honestly think that he believes this is all a game.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
This discussion has been closed.