Options

13»

Comments

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited February 2016
    Malroth said:

I think when kids are young, the most important thing is to let them read stuff they want to read. Get a kid interested in reading first, then they will eventually read books with a little more substance.
    Required reading of any kind kinda stinks to me.

True. Once you have a kid read something they like and can't put the book down they will be hooked on reading forever. However, 17 year old kids should be looking beyond Harry Potter. In a year they will be in University.

Also, if a kid struggles with Shakespeare in high school it's not the end of the world. As much as I think it's an important part of learning I accept the fact that a lot of students will find it difficult. Teachers know this as well and aren't going to wreck a students overall grade because they couldn't properly analyze a Richard III soliloquy.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    Enkidu said:

I read Shakespeare now that I understand it better. And I agree with PJ Soul about having to learn and try to figure out the language, even though it's hard. I'm also a public school kid and the same fabulous teacher (junior year) who taught us Macbeth taught us Canterbury Tales and she made them entertaining and hilarious. There was farting!

We had to memorize the opening and I can still do some of it - at a high school reunion a bunch of us did it together (we were probably drunk). "Whon that Aprille with his shure sote, the draught of March hath pierced through the roote..." (I did that without looking at Google, I swear.)

I hated Beowulf. I think we read that senior year. Years later I read Gilgamesh (that's where Enkidu's from, btw) and thought it was beautiful. Way better than Beowulf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxnxH-7Xk7U
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Juggler!