Options

Angered over Beyonces super bowl song choice?

I've been hearing a lot of grumblings over Beyonces video for Formation.

Not sure all of the fuss. Have been hearing that it's "anti police".

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited February 2016
    Tempo enjoy your posts but was hoping this wouldn't make it to the train. To add, tabloidy.
    Post edited by callen on
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    I watched that halftime show and have no idea what there is to be offended about. No idea at all.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    From what I've heard, people are upset and saying that it was a solute to the Black Panthers and a finger to police. I guess it just depends on whether or not you are pro BLM/anti-police and which side of the propaganda you are reading as to whether or not you are upset. I just try to ignore such pop-culture, although I do think that the BLM is counterproductive and most police are good guys.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    JimmyV said:

I watched that halftime show and have no idea what there is to be offended about. No idea at all.

Pretty sure most people couldn't make out the lyrics anyway. The song had only been released the day before. If anybody got offended, it was because they watched the song's official video afterwards and decided to be upset about it. Even if the dancers' outfits reminded you of the Black Panthers, at least half the people alive today wouldn't catch the reference.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I didn't like the fact that she chose Malcolm X/Little and the Black Panthers to represent over the SNCC or the Free Riders, who were much more peaceful and did much more for the movement.

I like that the song brought up the poverty in New Orleans, though.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,303
    JimmyV said:

This ^^^^
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    JimmyV said:

same...I couldn't believe about the outrage I was hearing. Pretty forgettable performance if you ask me.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I'm angered no matter what song she does and that it's another half time show with Radio Disney pop instead of rock for the umpteenth time. The rate it's going, Bieber or 1D will be next. I muted it and blocked my laptop with it. Turns out I didn't miss a thing.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited February 2016
    I am surprised anyone still cares about the halftime show in any serious kind of way. To be totally honest, I'm at the point where I want it to suck. The more it sucks the better. In fact, I don't just want it to suck. I want it to be an unmitigated disaster, lol. Or hugely scandalous for some reason. It's just fun that way! I can see awesome performances all the time - they happen every day of the year just about - but the opportunity for a truly heinous, piece of shit Superbowl halftime show riddled with mistakes and shit to make fun of only comes once a year! =)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    callen said:

Tempo enjoy your posts but was hoping this wouldn't make it to the train. To add, tabloidy.

If you've read what I have in social media I figured it belonged here.

It's more for what the people are complaining about and not so much the song.

People can get worked up over things sometimes.

If it's too "Mickey mouse" I'll pull it but I thought the comments over it were quite interesting...
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    What ever happened to the magician Elvis Presto from the '89 Super Bowl?

This really happened!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Mz_TkBvLA
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    I was offended at how bad it was. I mean, Bruno Mars and Beyonce made Coldplay seem pretty good.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnGPIMUnus

What happened to this group? They would have rocked the Super Bowl
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    PJ_Soul said:

I am surprised anyone still cares about the halftime show in any serious kind of way. To be totally honest, I'm at the point where I want it to suck. The more it sucks the better. In fact, I don't just want it to suck. I want it to be an unmitigated disaster, lol. Or hugely scandalous for some reason. It's just fun that way! I can see awesome performances all the time - they happen every day of the year just about - but the opportunity for a truly heinous, piece of shit Superbowl halftime show riddled with mistakes and shit to make fun of only comes once a year! =)

pretty much this. although some kick ass rock n roll would be nice for a change. the halftime show is geared towards 2,000,000,000% bullshit. it is a fact that 90some percent of the population has zero taste in music. most of the population listen to exactly what was playing at the super bowl the other day. this is the only real reason we are doomed
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

PJ_Soul said:

pretty much this. although some kick ass rock n roll would be nice for a change. the halftime show is geared towards 2,000,000,000% bullshit. it is a fact that 90some percent of the population has zero taste in music. most of the population listen to exactly what was playing at the super bowl the other day. this is the only real reason we are doomed
    So then we the 10% are eliteists?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    no it means we're not idiots
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I feel there is a double standard put in place. If a white artist came out with all white dancers there would be outrage from black leaders. The Superbowl and all sports for that matter should be used as an escape. Why does everything have to be politicized? I know there are problems, but can we have some time when we can all just enjoy something together?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

I feel there is a double standard put in place. If a white artist came out with all white dancers there would be outrage from black leaders. The Superbowl and all sports for that matter should be used as an escape. Why does everything have to be politicized? I know there are problems, but can we have some time when we can all just enjoy something together?

Even The Boss didn't get political when he performed and neither did fellow Americans Petty and Prince. They just put on a show.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I hate this attitude that the superball and sports are some sacred, pure escape that should be above politics...
    Bullshit!
    It's lowbrow mindless entertainment for the ignorant masses and I say people have it backwards, don't sully serious issues by lowering them to the level of sports.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Sports is entertainment and meant for enjoyment ... something politics can't offer unless watching this years batch of candidates bumble around is something one finds amusing and enjoyment in.
  • Options

For the record... The performance by ALL parties participating were NOT political!

Beyonces video for Formation was the catalyst for the protest and frustration.

My original post is focused on the comments of the outrage of the video and the following protests of the song being performed at the Super Bowl and NOT the performance itself.
  • Options
    I wonder why there was no protest/outrage before or during the performance?

• Options
    rgambs said:

I hate this attitude that the superball and sports are some sacred, pure escape that should be above politics...
    Bullshit!
    It's lowbrow mindless entertainment for the ignorant masses and I say people have it backwards, don't sully serious issues by lowering them to the level of sports.
    I agree.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

For the record... The performance by ALL parties participating were NOT political!

My original post is focused on the comments of the outrage of the video and the following protests of the song being performed at the Super Bowl and NOT the performance itself.
    Beyonces performance was definitely political. All the dancers dressed like Black Panthers, dancing in an X formation. That's about as direct of a message as possible :tongue:
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Bullshit!
    So everything should have a political message? There are all cultures watching sports, people of all walks of life watch sports and for the most part get along. Why should everything have to be so serious?
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

I seriously don't think anyone was upset about her performance until people like Rudy Guiliani told them to be. I tend to be pretty good at making out lyrics but I didn't know what she was singing about. I didn't make any connection from the X formation to Malcom X--it just made me think, woah, why do musical performances have to be so choreographed, doesn't anybody just get up and sing.

If you wanted whites represented, well, there was Coldplay for ya, with a bunch of dancing flowers and rainbow lights. It was so hippie I was expecting them to play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

And I enjoyed Bruno Mars. How can you not like a song like Uptown Funk?

Slow news week if people can get that worked up about a Super Bowl halftime show.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I seriously don't think anyone was upset about her performance until people like Rudy Guiliani told them to be. I tend to be pretty good at making out lyrics but I didn't know what she was singing about. I didn't make any connection from the X formation to Malcom X--it just made me think, woah, why do musical performances have to be so choreographed, doesn't anybody just get up and sing.

If you wanted whites represented, well, there was Coldplay for ya, with a bunch of dancing flowers and rainbow lights. It was so hippie I was expecting them to play In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

And I enjoyed Bruno Mars. How can you not like a song like Uptown Funk?

Slow news week if people can get that worked up about a Super Bowl halftime show.
    Hahaha it's not hard!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    ehbacon said:

Beyonces performance was definitely political. All the dancers dressed like Black Panthers, dancing in an X formation. That's about as direct of a message as possible :tongue:
    IMO it being political was the only good thing about it. I would like it if more artists made political statements.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

ehbacon said:

IMO it being political was the only good thing about it. I would like it if more artists made political statements.
    I don't mind that it was political at all, I just don't like that she chose the Black Panthers over all the non militant civil rights groups.
  • Options
    ehbacon said:

PJ_Soul said:

ehbacon said:

I don't mind that it was political at all, I just don't like that she chose the Black Panthers over all the non militant civil rights groups.
    I didn't even realize that you were saying you minded any part of it.
    I understand your point about the Black Panthers... although I can't bring myself to have an issue with that. I do not support violence - MLK was right - but at the same time I completely 100% understand why they felt their tactics were necessary and justified, and completely understand why black people might admire their legacy as a group that fought for civil rights, so I just don't find the Black Panthers offensive.