Red Rocks Ampitheater

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2016
    jordn6971 said:

my2hands said:

jordn6971 said:

Can you imagine the struggle to get tickets to a venue like Red Rocks for Pearl Jam

I don't understand why people think PJ would NOT play a venue because there is too much demand? that makes zero sense

MSG has more demand than any other location they could play... i'm guessing RR would be similar demand... especially if they play 4 shows... sure its a tough ticket, but too much demand is not a reason to not play somewhere, that's crazy...

PLUS, if they announce a tour with major cities like LA, throw in the gorge, some weekend dates, etc... it will ease demand as people will still want to prioritize their local show, or the gorge, or a weekend trip, etc...
    I'm just saying it would suck for us to try and get tickets. I don't think the band will play there because it's not a profitable place for them to play unless they sell tickets for $200 a piece.
    #1 - who cares if its a tough ticket, i'm an adult and willing to get shut out in a lottery, just like i've been shut out before... if I want to get in the building I will be there.... there is no harder ticket than MSG and the world didn't end when that lotto was finished... im not scared

#2 - with that logic of it not being a big enough of a payday, why would they ever play a smaller venue? why play Hampton when they could have booked a larger venue? Why play Moline for 12,000 people when they could have easily sold 40,000 in downtown Chicago... why would any big band play red rocks if they can just fill the arena in downtown? with that thinking red rocks would have an empty schedule

im not saying Red Rocks is a definite, by any stretch.... I just think the reasons people are coming up why they wouldn't are not realistic
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Zod said:

my2hands said:

my2hands said:

4 shows in 5 nights...

stop fucking around!

6 shows in 8 nights... red rocks residency... play the whole goddamn catalog... charge me $500 for the bluray

stop fucking around...
    I like this guy
    I guess? Realistically the venue only holds 10000 people and loads of people would want to go. If PJ did so a number of shows there the odds of getting tickets for most of the shows would be really slim. If they did 6 dates you'd probably be lucky to get tickets to 1 or 2 nights? I can't see that many people getting tickets to all nights. 10000 seat venue for something that epic.... that would be tough on ticket demand. A destination even to a place with not near enough tickets..... ouch.

yes... I understand... BUT... they are already playing from Florida to Canada including hot spots like Madison Square Garden & Philly... Bonnaroo... stadium shows in Boston & Chicago which are definitely destination type of events... and I assume RR would be announced and sold at the same time as other dates which could include The Gorge, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, perhaps a large Seattle event, etc... the year is already a big one so that helps bring down some demand

make it 4 shows and we are ready to go

• Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    I can't wait for RR to get announced.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    my2hands said:

They obviously wouldn't announce it yet, as they want to sell festival tickets. But it would be kinda surprising, IF, they are going to play multiple nights at RR, that something hasn't leaked. Especially now that the Telluride information is out.

Hopefully this happens. Concert budget is pretty much blown for this summer, so may have to try and make this into a family vacation of sorts, haha.

I would be very surprised if they play Telluride AND Red Rocks close together. If Ride is like any other festival, it seems like Red Rocks would be too close to allow for the headlining band to also play there, like how Lollapalooza acts don't get to play in/around Chicago at the same time as the festival.
    Ride is 11,000 people, not 100,000... Denver is 6 hours away from Telluride... there is no way there is that strong of an exclusion zone for such a small festival

I just think the Telluride folks might wish for PJ to hold off on announcing anything until they can sell their tickets. Telluride tix go on sale 3/4. I could see a scenario where PJ gives them a month or so to sell tickets, then announces a run of shows at RR in July.

But then you'll have people who spent money on the The Ride festival losing their shit because now PJ is playing Red Rocks.

I think most people, if given the choice, would choose a standalone PJ show at Red Rocks over a festival at Telluride.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    my2hands said:

They obviously wouldn't announce it yet, as they want to sell festival tickets. But it would be kinda surprising, IF, they are going to play multiple nights at RR, that something hasn't leaked. Especially now that the Telluride information is out.

Hopefully this happens. Concert budget is pretty much blown for this summer, so may have to try and make this into a family vacation of sorts, haha.

I would be very surprised if they play Telluride AND Red Rocks close together. If Ride is like any other festival, it seems like Red Rocks would be too close to allow for the headlining band to also play there, like how Lollapalooza acts don't get to play in/around Chicago at the same time as the festival.
    Ride is 11,000 people, not 100,000... Denver is 6 hours away from Telluride... there is no way there is that strong of an exclusion zone for such a small festival

Interesting point. Still it's IN Colorado. Most tours don't hit more than one city in Colorado.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 886
    Moline didn't even fit 10,000. Right?
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    im already broke for 2016, but stop fucking around lets go more in debt and play Red Rocks!
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,510
    pjalive21 said:

im already broke for 2016, but stop fucking around lets go more in debt and play Red Rocks!

My thoughts exactly!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    I want to book my flights for teluride but holding off in case there is a Red Rocks show. Hopefully prices don't go up too much.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209

I want to book my flights for teluride but holding off in case there is a Red Rocks show. Hopefully prices don't go up too much.

i booked 7/6-7/11 to telluride... leaves a couple day window for red rocks if something happens that week, if not an extra couple days in telluride. win-win. red rocks happens before the 6th, or after the 11th, then the plan gets tweaked a bit. always gota have a contingency plan....
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

my2hands said:

I just think the Telluride folks might wish for PJ to hold off on announcing anything until they can sell their tickets. Telluride tix go on sale 3/4. I could see a scenario where PJ gives them a month or so to sell tickets, then announces a run of shows at RR in July.

But then you'll have people who spent money on the The Ride festival losing their shit because now PJ is playing Red Rocks.

I think most people, if given the choice, would choose a standalone PJ show at Red Rocks over a festival at Telluride.
    I'm going to Telluride, I'd be stoked if they were playing Red Rocks too. It will give more people a chance to see them. I wouldn't be able to make it as it's an extra 300 miles from me, but if they played prior to the The Ride Fest it would just mean they are nice and stretched out for that weekend. I think it would be pretty hard for anyone to not be inspired by those scenic views at both places and this band brings the house down wherever they play.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    from a rolling stone article about the best amphitheaters in America

#1 - Red Rocks
    This dramatic natural venue just outside Denver – named after the two huge boulders that frame its borders – can elevate a good show into a totally unforgettable night. With the exception of Madison Square Garden, no U.S. venue of this size has such an amazing pedigree: The Beatles in 1964, Jimi Hendrix in 1968, Bruce Springsteen in 1978, and so many more. Pearl Jam played Red Rocks exactly once, in 1995, and they still haven't stopped talking about it. "It was just stunning," says guitarist Mike McCready. "We were never able to get there [again]. I don't know why. I want to go back."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-best-amphitheaters-in-america-20130620/red-rocks-amphitheatre-morrison-colorado-19691231
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    my2hands said:

#1 - Red Rocks
    This dramatic natural venue just outside Denver – named after the two huge boulders that frame its borders – can elevate a good show into a totally unforgettable night. With the exception of Madison Square Garden, no U.S. venue of this size has such an amazing pedigree: The Beatles in 1964, Jimi Hendrix in 1968, Bruce Springsteen in 1978, and so many more. Pearl Jam played Red Rocks exactly once, in 1995, and they still haven't stopped talking about it. "It was just stunning," says guitarist Mike McCready. "We were never able to get there [again]. I don't know why. I want to go back."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-best-amphitheaters-in-america-20130620/red-rocks-amphitheatre-morrison-colorado-19691231

nice. thank you. seriously i thought it was gonna be cool last year when i went...but it was beyond that. was on my bucket list for a long time...
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Finally made it to a show at Red Rocks last August...
    Seeing My Morning Jacket there was a bucket list event for me!!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 582
    Totally unrelated to PJ, but Red Rocks has been on my bucket list and I don't foresee PJ there anytime soon. So, The National, maybe my current fav band, is there at the end of July. I have my flight booked. I bought GA tickets, which is rows 1-24 and reserved row 31 seats. I am assuming the GA tickets are the ones to use? If you have seen a show there maybe you can help answer that.

Is there an easy way to get to RR via public transit?
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    my2hands said:

jordn6971 said:

my2hands said:

jordn6971 said:

Can you imagine the struggle to get tickets to a venue like Red Rocks for Pearl Jam

I don't understand why people think PJ would NOT play a venue because there is too much demand? that makes zero sense

MSG has more demand than any other location they could play... i'm guessing RR would be similar demand... especially if they play 4 shows... sure its a tough ticket, but too much demand is not a reason to not play somewhere, that's crazy...

PLUS, if they announce a tour with major cities like LA, throw in the gorge, some weekend dates, etc... it will ease demand as people will still want to prioritize their local show, or the gorge, or a weekend trip, etc...
    I'm just saying it would suck for us to try and get tickets. I don't think the band will play there because it's not a profitable place for them to play unless they sell tickets for $200 a piece.
    #1 - who cares if its a tough ticket, i'm an adult and willing to get shut out in a lottery, just like i've been shut out before... if I want to get in the building I will be there.... there is no harder ticket than MSG and the world didn't end when that lotto was finished... im not scared

#2 - with that logic of it not being a big enough of a payday, why would they ever play a smaller venue? why play Hampton when they could have booked a larger venue? Why play Moline for 12,000 people when they could have easily sold 40,000 in downtown Chicago... why would any big band play red rocks if they can just fill the arena in downtown? with that thinking red rocks would have an empty schedule

im not saying Red Rocks is a definite, by any stretch.... I just think the reasons people are coming up why they wouldn't are not realistic
    Not gonna happen.....probably ever.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    derbydave said:

I've been.holding out to see PJ at Red Rocks, but passing on MMJ the past few years has been tough... you going back for memorial day weekend?
  • Options
    my2hands said:

derbydave said:

I've been.holding out to see PJ at Red Rocks, but passing on MMJ the past few years has been tough... you going back for memorial day weekend?
    I sure wish I was...
    but have to miss these shows!!
    I've been going to the Indy 500 since the late 70's...
    and we have a big group of college friends and family that "come home"
    to Indy for the 500 every year.
    This year is the 100th running of the Indy 500,
    so I really can't miss the race!!
    I am seeing My Morning Jacket in INDY on the Thursday before the race...
    they have a show scheduled on The Lawn at White River State Park,
    must be their warm up show for Red Rocks :wink:
    I'm sure it will be an INCREDIBLE weekend at Red Rocks!!
    PLEASE don't wait for PJ to see a show there...
    If you have a chance to see MMJ at Red Rocks,
    I PROMISE...you won't be disappointed!!
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    edited February 2016
    derbydave said:

my2hands said:

derbydave said:

I sure wish I was...
    but have to miss these shows!!
    I've been going to the Indy 500 since the late 70's...
    and we have a big group of college friends and family that "come home"
    to Indy for the 500 every year.
    This year is the 100th running of the Indy 500,
    so I really can't miss the race!!
    I am seeing My Morning Jacket in INDY on the Thursday before the race...
    they have a show scheduled on The Lawn at White River State Park,
    must be their warm up show for Red Rocks :wink:
    I'm sure it will be an INCREDIBLE weekend at Red Rocks!!
    PLEASE don't wait for PJ to see a show there...
    If you have a chance to see MMJ at Red Rocks,
    I PROMISE...you won't be disappointed!!
    That sounds like a great time you have planned, and it just happens to be that MMJ is in town for you!

I almost pulled the trigger to go this year, but passed due to a large pj year and I'm trying to personally will them into playing red rocks lol... so I'm staying positive... they are playing, I will win tix in the lotto, and I will any get tix I need after that on the public sale! I'm a possimist lol
  • Options
    PJ will ever play Red Rocks again. They are just too big and it doesn't make sense. Everyone just go see MMJ there because it will be the best time you have ever had.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options

PJ will ever play Red Rocks again. They are just too big and it doesn't make sense. Everyone just go see MMJ there because it will be the best time you have ever had.

This man speaks the TRUTH...
    MMJ at Red Rocks is my #3 show all-time.
    Just behind PJ20 and Moline!!

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    chitty said:

Totally unrelated to PJ, but Red Rocks has been on my bucket list and I don't foresee PJ there anytime soon. So, The National, maybe my current fav band, is there at the end of July. I have my flight booked. I bought GA tickets, which is rows 1-24 and reserved row 31 seats. I am assuming the GA tickets are the ones to use? If you have seen a show there maybe you can help answer that.

Last I heard there is NO public transit to Red Rocks.
    However, there is some sort of shuttle service but I dont know where from or how it works

As for the G.A at Red Rocks they split up the seating row 1-24 and 60-69 are G.A. so you have to get there early to insure being in the first 24 rows. Red Rocks has really wide rows (over 120 seats in the widest parts) so hopefully your row 31 is in the center. Otherwise go for the g.a.

Heres how g.a. often works.....

https://youtu.be/SgQ-IyK4RAs

ENJOY!
  • Options
    chitty said:

i highly recommend this company to get to and from the venue
    it's like a private party bus full of hippie types ;)
    and if you don't like smoke don't go on this bus
    http://bustoshow.org/
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    my2hands said:

#1 - Red Rocks

Awesome seeing Merriweather at #4 on the list... but they could've included pics of the actual venue instead of a close-up of the freakin welcome sign. You had one job, Rolling Stone! :unamused:
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,343

chitty said:

However, there is some sort of shuttle service but I dont know where from or how it works

As for the G.A at Red Rocks they split up the seating row 1-24 and 60-69 are G.A. so you have to get there early to insure being in the first 24 rows. Red Rocks has really wide rows (over 120 seats in the widest parts) so hopefully your row 31 is in the center. Otherwise go for the g.a.

ENJOY!
    What am I missing here? What is the point in the tarps?
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

chitty said:

ENJOY!
    I'm guessing to reserve your spot so you can then go enjoy your day.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I thought they banned the tarps a couple years back?
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    edited February 2016

I thought they banned the tarps a couple years back?

from what i remember reading is they only banned massive sized tarps...ie they have cut down on the size that people are allowed to bring in to "reserve" spots for their friends who always show up late to ga....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    If I saw a tarp with no one on it, then I would consider it abandoned and throw it out.
  • Options
    PRLJM1PRLJM1 Posts: 584
    KC138045 said:

chitty said:

ENJOY!
    I'm guessing to reserve your spot so you can then go enjoy your day.
    I can hear it now. "Hey, that's my spot. I know because it's the one with the blue tarp on it that I put there to reserve it"

Summerfest '95,Alpine '98,Ice Bowl(Alpine'00),Alpine'03,Chicago'06,Summerfest(x2)'06,Riverside Theater '08(EV),ChicagoII '09, PJ20-Alpine Valley 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Voodoo Fest '13 (New Orleans), Milwaukee '14, Wrigley 1,2 '16