clean slate

2»

Comments

• pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited June 2018
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Fingers crossed this happens, I'd happily "make do" with 6 episodes a year or something (especially given how many shows use the "short season" these days...hell, 24 became 12, lol).

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-x-files-renewed-fox-more-episodes-1201708816/

“The X-Files” reboot has been a major success for Fox, but will there be more episodes after the event series wraps this upcoming Monday?

While there are no firm plans at this time for a second round of episodes, with the ratings proof, Fox execs are undoubtedly discussing the possibility of ordering more episodes. Plus, the network has been promoting Monday’s finale as the “season finale” — not the “series finale.”

“We said before it aired that we would love to do more, and we are over the moon with the performance. So far, the response has been really encouraging,” Fox entertainment president David Madden tells Variety, speaking in an interview conducted earlier in “The X-Files” season.

He adds, “We haven’t talked to the talent yet about Season 2 in any more definitive way than we had prior to airing the show, but certainly, it seems like there’s an audience responding to the show that would love to see more episodes.”

The performance certainly has been impressive. More than 50 million international viewers watched the two-night premiere in the first three days following its debut on Fox channels in 80 countries, and “X-Files” has held strong since its season opener. Though it fell off this week opposite the Grammy Awards, the show has been strong in its return, averaging a 3.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 9.9 million total viewers in same-day averages through five episodes. The series has been a nice gainer in delayed viewing, too, with its Feb. 8 episode ranking No. 2 in 18-49 among all dramas for the week, ahead of ABC’s TGIT drama premieres and behind only AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” in “live plus-3” estimates from Nielsen. And, Fox has got to be pleased with its big online numbers via Fox Now and Hulu.

Insiders tell Variety there are no official conversations under way regarding the future of the franchise, but Fox would love to make more “X-Files” happen, if they can — the main hurdle would be getting the schedules of Chris Carter, Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny to align, given their other commitments.

When asked about the possibility of a second rebooted season last month at the Television Critics Association press tour, Fox bosses Dana Walden and Gary Newman also touched on the talent subject, saying, “The biggest impediment to going forward with ‘The X-Files’ is the schedule of David and Gillian and, to an extent, Chris…but even the other night at the premiere, we were all laughing and joking that we would love to do this again. So we would be on board if schedules can be worked out.”

Long before the six revival episodes aired, Duchovny talked to Variety about the possibility of returning for more episodes.

“I would never have gone and done another 22 episodes of ‘X-Files,’” Duchovny said, “but we’re going to do six — well, that’s like doing a movie. That’s like continuing the show in a way that we all can do at this point in our lives so that’s how it all came about … Six to me sounds very doable at any walk of my life. It’s not a great hardship in terms of time. I would hope it will be successful, I would hope we could continue, but right now, I’m just looking at it as these six, and then we’ll see what happens.”

Probably not to Duchovny’s surprise, the series has indeed been successful, and the potential for a follow-up is clearly there, especially with Fox’s track record of bringing back hits like “24,” which was revived in 2014 for a 12-episode limited series, and will likely come back yet again with a reimagined pilot greenlit.

And while the return of “X-Files” has been underwhelming to some critics, the fans aren’t complaining — and the numbers don’t lie.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    edited June 2018
  • That ending, hmmm, lol. Now I have to say there'd better be more to come (despite or because of the "This is the end" tag in the opening credits, lol). Otherwise I'm quite impressed with what they did in this run, and really miss the show.

For those that remember Millennium, "In The Year 2525," perhaps, lol? Half surprised they didn't cut to static (or more appropriately the sound of snow, lol) at the end.

• ...and then I stumble on this article, something mentioned/featured in the episode Babylon, lol...

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/23/residents-of-montreal-suburb-say-they-hear-strange-trumpets-in-the-sky

edited June 2018
  • Spooky how the most recent was just Sunday...?

Love your choice of wording, lol. It's even more X-appropriate given at the end of its original run The X-Files aired on Sunday night, lol.

edited June 2018
    edited June 2018
  • That ending, hmmm, lol. Now I have to say there'd better be more to come (despite or because of the "This is the end" tag in the opening credits, lol). Otherwise I'm quite impressed with what they did in this run, and really miss the show.

For those that remember Millennium, "In The Year 2525," perhaps, lol? Half surprised they didn't cut to static (or more appropriately the sound of snow, lol) at the end.

What do you mean the sound of snow?

I hope there is more to come...a movie, another small series run. It was good to see the character Monica. The episode reminded me so much of the movie Outbreak. I thought it was cool how they explained the whole vaccine conspiracy and how easily an epidemic could be started because of that. Did they mention anything about flu shots? I'll have to watch it again.

Darth Maeglin, have they ever mentioned anything about the Illuminati in any of the seasons or these last 6? I know the DaVinci Code movie came out around 2004 or so?--so that would have been after the series ended. Buts that's more the religious aspect of the Illuminati. What do you think of all that?
    "Sound of Snow" is me (again, lol) referencing one of Carter's other series, Millennium, which ran for 3 seasons. "Sound of Snow" was an episode that involved (if I remember correctly) someone using hidden frequencies in static sound to cause hallucinations in individuals. In the episode it allows the main character, Frank Black, to gain some closure in his wife's death by having a final conversation with her.

It's a bit of a double meaning, in that the music composer for both series was Mark Snow, lol.

I can't recall precisely offhand, but it seems to me there were "throwaway" references to the Illuminati, as well as some of the theories of the DaVinci Code, in various episodes over the initial 9-season run, but none of those were definitively confirmed. While the "cabal" of the X-Files had many parallels with those attributed to the Illuminati, they were never named as such. Again, if I remember correctly, lol, it's been awhile since I've watched the original run, lol.

I agree, it was nice to see Monica Reyes pop up again, was hoping we'd see Doggett as well, since I'd always liked that character as well.

If you've enjoyed the X-Files, I'd recommend checking out Millennium if you can. It trades Sci-fi for religion in many ways, and deals a lot in good vs. evil and what darkness man is capable of (it starts off as a serial-killer-of-the-week show, but morphs over its run). Don't want to say much more for fear of giving away too much, lol.

edited June 2018
  • ^^^
    Darth Maeglin, thank you so much for all the info. I will definitely check out that show Millennium--sounds really good. Thank you for chatting with me about the show these past 6 episodes. It was nice to see someone as excited about it as me. :)

It's been a pleasure for me as well, to quote/paraphrase Into The Wild, "Happiness is only real when shared," lol.

edited June 2018
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    So, I was behind on watching these episodes. There was some good stuff in these episodes but for the most part I was disappointed. It's possible that since the x-files was on, there have been so many quality shows that have come out that make the x-files seem a little silly.
    I'll keep my comments about the last episode to this, as to not spoil...
    a) They can't stop it there. There has to be more coming in the future.
    b) If they are going to talk science, they should at least get "basic science" accurate. Again, I won't get into much, but a lot of what was discussed was incredibly inaccurate of how biology actually works.
    edited June 2018
    There's a bunch but the ones I can remember...
    Identifying "alien" DNA by looking at someone's genome. You would have to know exactly what you were looking for...as in the sequence of genes in order to identify it. Otherwise it's a long process and a needle in a haystack. There are countless "dead" gene sequences that literally code for nothing, but for them to identify a strange sequence...overnight...impossible...and they'd have no way to determine if any of the thousands of dead sequences were anything but normal coding. They got it right at the end when they were looking for Scully's alien DNA, but that was when, or to assume they knew that sequence already...which couldn't be determined.
    The other is when they found Scully's alien DNA sequence as the "cure". They can easily replicate it via PCR (polymerase chain reaction) but it would take some time. There was no biological vector involved (such as a virus or bacteriophage). They would have to identify one first, splice in the gene into that virus (for example) then replicate the virus. Scully's alien DNA sequence would not do anything otherwise. You could drink or inject a gallon of it and it wouldn't alter your DNA.
    It's not something you can whip up in an hour by one person...or even a week for that matter.
    Then, once you "turn on" the alien DNA, you still have people who have anthrax or whatever else they contracted. The turn-around on the body's ability to fight infection would take a long time and most people would likely still die.
    There is also the small-pox vaccine that started this back in the day. Assuming everyone got this back in the 40's-60's/whenever. Nucleotides have been known since the late 1800's, but DNA structure wasn't even known until around 1950. The human genome project started in 1990 and completed 13 years later and was done using powerful computers. It's a cool idea, but the technology wasn't there for this to occur. To completely shut down one's immune system would require incredibly complex, targeted sequences at hundreds if not thousands of locations in one's genome. Best case scenario is weakening the immune system, but you couldn't turn it off in this manner.
    Anyways, I just found the whole thing to be really sloppy writing. I know there others, but those are the ones I can remember.
    edited June 2018
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,572
    edited February 2016
    mca47 said:

So, I was behind on watching these episodes. There was some good stuff in these episodes but for the most part I was disappointed. It's possible that since the x-files was on, there have been so many quality shows that have come out that make the x-files seem a little silly.
    b) If they are going to talk science, they should at least get "basic science" accurate. Again, I won't get into much, but a lot of what was discussed was incredibly inaccurate of how biology actually works.

I was chuckling at some of the speed elements in the resolution (although I laughed at Scully's progress through the chaotic city as well, lol). As a layperson, had no choice but to go "Duh, okie-dokie" to the science put forward (though like pickupyourwill says, it's science-fiction).

Thankfully, as a child, my grandfather introduced me to the willing suspension of disbelief, and I've put it to (probably excessive, lol) good use over the decades, lol.

Edit: Was supposed to only underline fiction, oops, can't seem to get it to un-underline (guessing this edit'll be underlined as well when I hit post), lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,657

mca47 said:

(although I laughed at Scully's progress through the chaotic city as well, lol)..
    She had that amazing Ford that sponsored the series, surprised it didn't fly over the traffic.
    The product placement with that damn vehicle pissed me off. There was a scene in episode 1 where they highlighted something about the vehicle (forget what it was now), but in episode 6 when she arrives at the office and removes a satchel out of the back (which any normal person would have put on the passenger's seat) just so we get to see the automatic rear door work on the Ford, that was too much.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    edited June 2018
  • that end was likefuck me in the brain sitution..lets see how it goes and continues
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited June 2018

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764
    Poncier said:

mca47 said:

(although I laughed at Scully's progress through the chaotic city as well, lol)..
    She had that amazing Ford that sponsored the series, surprised it didn't fly over the traffic.
    The product placement with that damn vehicle pissed me off. There was a scene in episode 1 where they highlighted something about the vehicle (forget what it was now), but in episode 6 when she arrives at the office and removes a satchel out of the back (which any normal person would have put on the passenger's seat) just so we get to see the automatic rear door work on the Ford, that was too much.
    That's because people skip through commercials. At least it's not as blatant as some other shows
    I miss igotid88
    Poncier said:

mca47 said:

Yeah, the Ford product placement was a bit over the top. The camera zooming in on the the Ford emblem every chance it can...c'mon! Then that one scene where they are driving out of an alley and Scully presses the "surround camera"...something highly advertised by Ford....c'mon! I'm surprised they didn't have Scully say "Gee Mulder, isn't this new feature on my new Ford Explorer a great option? Ford sure does make quality cars!"
    The same thing happened on 24. The last couple seasons and the last "come back" season, same thing. Every car was a Ford, and they made everyone know that.

^^^
    WOW
    I'm guessing you may work in the field of science? That's a lot of good info. That's good to know how unrealistic it could be...but makes for great scyfy :) When you think about how long it takes to get DNA, blood and other results back from a crime lab or for a paternity test in real life---it sounds like it takes a looong time. I am really only guessing. I only know of relatives who have had the aforementioned done. So, yeah it would be hard to test all that DNA stuff so fast, like in the episode. Very impressive that it all came from memory for you and you just knew all that! Thank you for taking the time to explain, mca47. When I watch it again, I will definitely have this in mind.

Hahaha, yeah, I do medical/oncology research for a pharma company.
    I don't mind syfy science, and the idea the show had was interesting (even though it was an inaccurate stretch) so that didn't bother me too much. The simple science errors on the show made me laugh. You'd think a show, with the budget they had, could have hired someone of science to spot-check some of it.
    Oh well.