clean slate

pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
edited September 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
Post edited by pickupyourwill on

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,572
    I've really enjoyed the "revival" so far. Ummm, since it's not in the thread title, I'll avoid any spoilery stuff, other than to say episode 2 was better than 1 (in part because they were able to skip the recaps, lol).

Interesting that with the success of 24: Live Another Day there's numerous rumours of other revivals (c'mon, Fox, more Firefly, lol!). I'm hoping for one of Carter's other shows to be brought back, Millennium (which did eventually crossover with the X-Files, lol).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Was it any good?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I have to say I'm curious, but haven't seen any of it. But I do like Mulder and Scully.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309

I find it curious that the last half of the first episode was cut off because that football game conveniently ran over. It just happened to cut off some gov't conspiracy schtick towards the end.

If you had set your DVR to extend the recording 30 minutes you would have captured the whole thing. I saw that the game/post-game was running late and tweaked my DVR accordingly. Worked like a charm!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited February 2016

edited June 2018
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,572

I've really enjoyed the "revival" so far. Ummm, since it's not in the thread title, I'll avoid any spoilery stuff, other than to say episode 2 was better than 1 (in part because they were able to skip the recaps, lol).

Interesting that with the success of 24: Live Another Day there's numerous rumours of other revivals (c'mon, Fox, more Firefly, lol!). I'm hoping for one of Carter's other shows to be brought back, Millennium (which did eventually crossover with the X-Files, lol).

Why did you think 2 was better than 1--minus the recaps?
    If anything it was the banter, and just general overall feel of the 2 episodes. I've seen reviews that talked about some of the awkwardness that was almost inevitable for the first episode (how do they get Mulder & Scully back on the X-Files = how 24 used to find preposterous ways to involve Jack in each threat, lol). While I'm a fan of Joel McHale, his character felt a bit forced, to say nothing of Scully turning up in his limo, champagne in hand, lol.

I guess it comes down to 1 was a "let's get the gang back together (again, lol) affair, while 2 had them investigating a la original run of the series.

That said, I'm anxiously waiting for next Monday, lol!

edited June 2018

• Damn, that was some Grade-A Darin Morgan tonight, so glad they included him in the revival, lol!

edited June 2018
  • PaigePaige Posts: 365
    Looooooved this episode, and the tribute to their director/producer Kim Manners was really touching amidst a lot of laughter. Darin Morgan just rules.
  • Just watched last night's episode, as Darin Morgan as last week was, this week was equally good Glen Morgan, lol.

It really is too bad we're only getting 6 eps if this is the quality, but I'll take it, lol.

• ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    I loved the third episode. But I'm starting to wonder if I over-glorified the original run in my head because overall I'm a little disappointed. I may just be compensating for the short run though.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    edited June 2018
    edited June 2018
  • Just watched last night's episode, as Darin Morgan as last week was, this week was equally good Glen Morgan, lol.

It really is too bad we're only getting 6 eps if this is the quality, but I'll take it, lol.

Are the two Morgans brothers, or related? :) I'll have to google them.

Yeah, I'm gonna be a little sad when the sixth is over.

I can't help but feeling that baby William, now around 15 I think, might show up before the end of this run...? What do you think?
    They've definitely foreshadowed William popping up, despite Scully's "...even if I only see him from afar..." statement, lol.

I'm guessing the last 2'll return to the conspiracy, CSM's still got to make his move, lol.

edited June 2018
  • oh yeah, cigarette smoking man. :) great actor--good to see he's still kicking.

I miss The Lone Gunmen a little :( Have they already made a reference to them that I missed?

It's always a bit weird when William B. Davis pops up on other things playing the kindly old grandfather or something similar. I keep expecting him to unveil some nefarious conspiracy, lol.

Can't recall a specific reference to the Lone Gunmen, though there may have been a throwaway line or something that's slipping my mind, lol. Too bad they "live in the starlight" now.

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I'm not reading anything new, we recently switched to directv and for some reason the latest episode isn't listed on the on-demand menu. Of course all the other shows we watch have all their episodes available.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    edited June 2018
    edited June 2018
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Are they possibly building up to a new version of the show in which the torch will be passed to Miller/Einstein??
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    edited June 2018
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    someone suggested that to me during the episode and all I can say is "i hope not". Not that I have anything against either of the actors, I just would rather have the show revived with the OGs rather than a "new gen" type thing.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    edited June 2018
  • I thought this fifth one, Babylon, was a great episode about terrorism and hate in this country, and how to make things better. In the last scene, Mulder talks to Scully about "something to Trump all hatred". I immediately took it as a slam to Donald Trump and his criticism of immigration and Muslims this past year. Maybe I'm just reading into that too much? What do you all think?

What's sad is how many Americans are behind Trump on that hatred. I've listened to some relatives, sick of political correctness, talk about how we can't trust any Muslims coming into the country right now. I feel sorry for them and their prejudice paranoia.

Oh yeah, and I like the The Lone Gunmen reference when Mulder was recovering from his hangover in the hospital and talking to Skinner ;)

Totally missed the possible Trump reference, lol, still trying to decide exactly what happened with Mulder (assuming Einstein was honest in saying it was a placebo she gave him), he has accessed (with help usually) the spirit realm in the past without psychedelic drugs, lol.

Hope they're not setting up a reboot with Miller and Einstein, mainly because the characters came across as caricatures (intentional, I think), similar to a previous episode that featured Mulder & Scully "doppelgangers." If they're just going to use the same character archetypes, then just use the original characters (unlikely though, given the actors' desires to pursue other interests).

On a side note, interesting that spellcheck triggers on Scully, but not for Mulder, lol.

edited June 2018
  • I thought this fifth one, Babylon, was a great episode about terrorism and hate in this country, and how to make things better. In the last scene, Mulder talks to Scully about "something to Trump all hatred". I immediately took it as a slam to Donald Trump and his criticism of immigration and Muslims this past year. Maybe I'm just reading into that too much? What do you all think?

What's sad is how many Americans are behind Trump on that hatred. I've listened to some relatives, sick of political correctness, talk about how we can't trust any Muslims coming into the country right now. I feel sorry for them and their prejudice paranoia.

Oh yeah, and I like the The Lone Gunmen reference when Mulder was recovering from his hangover in the hospital and talking to Skinner ;)

Totally missed the possible Trump reference, lol, still trying to decide exactly what happened with Mulder (assuming Einstein was honest in saying it was a placebo she gave him), he has accessed (with help usually) the spirit realm in the past without psychedelic drugs, lol.

Hope they're not setting up a reboot with Miller and Einstein, mainly because the characters came across as caricatures (intentional, I think), similar to a previous episode that featured Mulder & Scully "doppelgangers." If they're just going to use the same character archetypes, then just use the original characters (unlikely though, given the actors' desires to pursue other interests).

On a side note, interesting that spellcheck triggers on Scully, but not for Mulder, lol.
    Next week's looks good--more conspiracy stuff :)

This Babylon brought up a lot of good points about terrorism...and the spirit realm. I'm glad they touched on that. And it was funny--gotta have some comedy relief when you're saving the world.

You think they would try and do another movie?
    I can't see everything getting properly wrapped up in a 1-hour show (or possibly even a 2-hour movie, lol, in part because of the "reset" of the conspiracy they set up in the first 2 episodes), so I'm hoping this'll set up a "conspiracy" movie (since the "monster-of-the-week" movie didn't go over so well, lol).

I remember sitting in a theatre watching Fight The Future, where the audience was primarily high school kids. I was laughing my ass of at them as they started oohing and aahing in anticipation of a Mulder-Scully kiss. I knew there was no way it was going to happen, lol.

edited June 2018

Next week's looks good--more conspiracy stuff :)

This Babylon brought up a lot of good points about terrorism...and the spirit realm. I'm glad they touched on that. And it was funny--gotta have some comedy relief when you're saving the world.

You think they would try and do another movie?
    I can't see everything getting properly wrapped up in a 1-hour show (or possibly even a 2-hour movie, lol, in part because of the "reset" of the conspiracy they set up in the first 2 episodes), so I'm hoping this'll set up a "conspiracy" movie (since the "monster-of-the-week" movie didn't go over so well, lol).

I remember sitting in a theatre watching Fight The Future, where the audience was primarily high school kids. I was laughing my ass of at them as they started oohing and aahing in anticipation of a Mulder-Scully kiss. I knew there was no way it was going to happen, lol.
    I have only seen one movie--the one with Amanda Peet--can't remember the name. Looking forward to seeing some others.
    FTF bridges the gap between seasons 5 and 6, I Want To Believe (the one you've seen) came out a few years ago, and was very Millenniumistic, to use a Jose Chung-ism, lol.