Options

Ottawa Show - Things to do in the city?

Comments

• Options
    GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    Jimminez said:

I couldn't tell you how good these are now as its been a while since I've been at Steve's downtown but both of these are near the Byward Market for those who are going to be there anyway (10min walk)

Vertigo Records, 193 Rideau St
    Steve's Music, 308 Rideau St

Thanks for the tip.
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • Options
    mcatakemcatake Posts: 104
    Any recommendations for hotels in the downtown area close to good food and drink?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
    Jimminez said:

I couldn't tell you how good these are now as its been a while since I've been at Steve's downtown but both of these are near the Byward Market for those who are going to be there anyway (10min walk)

Thanks!

• Options
    ally12ally12 Ottawa Posts: 68
    mcatake said:

Any recommendations for hotels in the downtown area close to good food and drink?

Les Suites, Novotel, courtyard by marriott. All in the heart of Byward Market, the place to be for bars and restaurants. Check out Zaphod's for live local bands.
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
    2020: Ottawa, Canada, QC City 
  • Options
    mcatakemcatake Posts: 104

Thank you for the recommendations ally12 - much appreciated!
  • Options
    nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    Check out this site for a bit of info. I contributed to the Touring Van site back in 2005. It's 11 years out of date but most of the spots and info are still relevant:

thisallencompassingtrip.com/pearl-jam-canadian-guide-ottawa/

Any other questions feel free to ask as I have lived in Ottawa for coming up on 38 years!
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Options
    ally12ally12 Ottawa Posts: 68
    ally12 said:

mcatake said:

Les Suites, Novotel, courtyard by marriott. All in the heart of Byward Market, the place to be for bars and restaurants. Check out Zaphod's for live local bands.
    Anytime! if you are looking for discounts on rooms.. check out www.ottawatourism.ca they have room discounts. You can compare with trivago, booking.com .etc.
    2011: PJ20- Ottawa, Canada
    2016: PJ25- Ottawa, Canada
    2020: Ottawa, Canada, QC City 
  • Options
    BobbakBobbak Posts: 87
    Just a reminder to all those catching the Ottawa show from out of town, if you are staying in a Hotel downtown, you'd want to leave early to go to the show venue, the city is currently under a massive construction project for our new Light Rail system which has caused some traffic issue going to/away from the downtown core. If you plan on taking a special bus to the venue please check out this site for listing and stop for buses going to the Canadian Tire Centre.
    http://www.octranspo.com/
  • Options
    Ottawa native here, lots of good suggestions already, I'll just second a few of them:

Hotel - Novotel is a beautiful hotel and they have an amazing ground floor restaurant, The Albion Rooms.

Record Shop - Vertigo is great and downtown - but if you can, make sure to check out Legend Records in Westboro and The Record Center in Hintonburg. These two neighbourhoods are right next to each other and very walkable and definitely worth checking out - lots of great restaurants and shops.

Zaphod Beeblebrox and House of Targ - yes and yes! Zaphod's is in the market and one of our longest running nightclubs. House of Targ is a bit out of the core, but well worth it.

Walking distance from the arena - nothing. at all. it's a terrible place. spend as little time out there as you can.
  • Options
    We'll be coming to Ottawa from Saskatchewan!
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    I scored GA! So probably need to start setting up a hotel sooner than later. Hopefully there's a wishlist pre-party too!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    I won the reserved seating in Ottawa, just booked a room at the Novotel too. Looking forward to a nice weekend in our Nation's Capital with the greatest band of all time :)
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    I appreciate all the suggestions also!
  • Options
    a5pj said:

I scored GA! So probably need to start setting up a hotel sooner than later. Hopefully there's a wishlist pre-party too!

There is. :)https://www.facebook.com/events/951980574884877/
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Jimminez said:

Thanks!

There is also Legend Records, which is located at Hazeldean Mall, on route, and not far from, the venue. They have a good vinyl selection.
    http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/news-story/5734521-music-store-expands-into-kanata-with-vinyl-lifeline/
  • Options
    :)

• Options
    Come and visit the Westboro area! Lots of nice places to eat, pubs and great shopping! You could also come by my place to visit as I live in the area and would love for you to visit! So stoked about the show :)
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    edited January 2016
    Chris519 said:

Can someone tell me where the closest pub is to the arena? Walking distance? And none of that Kelseys. Montanas, Jack Astors type nonsense. A proper pub to plant our asses down for some pints before the show?

A good pub? Ditto for 3 Brewers and Bier Haus... but forget walking to the venue from there... it's at least a good 20 min walking... and hoping for nice weather 'cause that F*** arena is in the middle of nowhere and it's nasty when it's windy or raining. Cab ride not as bad... but you have to deal with traffic! Good side of it? It's a Sunday, not as many cars as weeknights!
    Post edited by Zidane on
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    What to do in Ottawa? Everyone pretty much said it. Where to go out if you're in the city more than one night? Market, Elgin Street, Glebe (near TD Place), Little Italy (Preston St., great restaurants), Wellington Village (outside downtown but great restaurants/pubs).
    If you guys love the outdoor, bring your bike! Awesome trails and roads in the city but also in the Gatineau Park. For those who are into climbing or hiking, that's the place.
    Golf lovers? Plenty of golf courses open around that time, if the winter doesn't last long which... seems to me that spring will come fast!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    ryangingerryanginger Toronto Posts: 77
    Thanks for the recommendations all. We'll likely end up at the Novotel as well. Maybe some of us can meet up, split some cabs etc.
    Vancouver 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013
    Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2 2016
    Seattle 1 & 2 2018
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Checked last night for a room, Novotel only has a couple junior suites left. I got one at a different hotel.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    I booked the Westin downtown Ottawa Saturday so I could explore the city. Checking out Sunday to move closer to venue. Staying at Holiday Inn in Kanata for show night. I can hopefully attend the pre-party assuming one is set up.
  • Options
    canadiacanadia Posts: 8
    edited February 2016
    Another local here! If you're here just for the concert (get-in-get-out) book a hotel in Kanata, not Ottawa. Kanata is where the arena is, and sometimes hotel searches focus on downtown Ottawa and airport locations. If you are staying a few days, it's easier to drive into Ottawa to see stuff than to get to Kanata on the day of any event at the CT centre because as others have said, it's in the middle of nowhere (and since the entire arena is pretty much sold out you can guarantee the one main road leading there will be a clusterfuck). Plus a cab from the CT Centre into Ottawa downtown even without traffic is $30, though the bus ($3.55, usually need cash fare) is a better option if you leave the arena directly after the show. If you can get a good rate I'd highly recommend Brookstreet Hotel. It's near the venue, between Ottawa and Kanata, and is friggin' awesome.
    I got GA tickets and I'm psyched/scared (but hopefully my fellow GAs won't elbow my face too much--I'm real short). PS- Just saw on ottawatourism.ca that May 5-8 is Ottawa Poutinefest in the downtown area, so if folks are coming to Southeastern Canada for the first time, they may want to harden their arteries with some poutine before they grab some Beavertails, eh?
    Post edited by canadia on
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 895
    Planning on making the trip from St.John's if i can score a decent ticket. Anyone with a GA ticket to spare?
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    Anyone find a great hotel rate? I def gotta book it this weekend, just dragging my feet.

• Options
    a5pj said:

Anyone find a great hotel rate? I def gotta book it this weekend, just dragging my feet.

I called Country Inn & Suites which appeared to be the closest hotel to the venue and they are sold out for show night. I called Holiday Inn in Kanata few km away and they are low on rooms. I booked there, but had to take a suite to get two beds.
  • Options
    I got an Airbnb 10 min walk from Byward Market... what time do you think we need to leave the Market to get to the venue? Any idea how late the Ten Club window would be open? I would like to quickly get my tickets and get in, grab a beer and get to my seats. Don't care about merch...
  • Options
    Poutinefest? Yum!!
  • Options
    Free said:

Poutinefest? Yum!!

http://ottawapoutinefest.ca/
    When: May 5-8, 2016

• Options
    Dude, that guy is creepy.