Options

Bringing kids to concerts - Experience + 10C tickets

1235»

Comments

• Options
    vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    PJ_Soul said:

Most 10 year olds I know wouldn't want to go see a crusty old band like Pearl Jam. 10 Seconds of Summer maybe. That's where us parent's with little ones are all inching closer towards every year! Disney on Ice, and the next big 'thing'.

Sure, but there ARE younger kids out there who are into rock and PJ. Not all kids like the same things. And a 10 year old is obviously old enough to express his or her opinion on the matter. Plus, maybe parents want to share the experience with their kids. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they are old enough to appreciate it and not be an annoyance to people near them.
    Kids at concerts is always annoying, so do the rest of us a favor and leave your kids ( 18 month, 5 years , 10 years ,up to the point were they can pay for them self and really enjoy the show )at home and stop that with they loooooove the band and so, no they don't, they want to see what kind of funny things mom and dad do when they are out on parents night
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • Options
    vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    JH6056 said:

vest71 said:

I have so many comments to what you wrote ...
    1. yes we can tell you are first time parents ( and just thinking you should leave it with that only one )
    2. I have seen 14-15 years old at PJ concerts that would rather be at home and half way through the show start texting and acting bored.
    3. considering the fact that you would be arrested for leaving your kid on a playground for 20 sec. unsupervised I can't think what would happen if you took an infant to a concert.
    4. Can't help thinking you already knew the response but you just needed some "adult" to tell you
    Stay home and enjoy your parenthood and act like a grown up with a responsibility, and wait 3-4-5 years to get a sitter and then you would really enjoy the concerts.

Wow, the misinformation keeps on coming.

While you absolutely should not leave your kid of any age unsupervised on a playground (until they're old enough to go there on their own), if you saw someone with a baby at a concert and called the police or called CPS, they would ask you questions. If the baby has ear protection and does not seem in distress, absolutely nothing will happen. How do I know? I used to work with CPS. And I still work with CPS intake regularly in my work with another agency, and we've discussed things like this many times (because I tell them the crazy misinformation I read on the internet and they tell me what is right and what is wrong).

I've given the specific scenario of kids of every age (babies, toddlers, young kids, tweens, teens). As long as the child has appropriate ear protection, the parents/adults with them are coherent and attentive, and the child does not appear to be in distress, and there isn't massive danger around (like a young kid in a mosh pit is clearly idiotic), then neither the police nor CPS are even going to pay attention.

You all have every right to raise your own kids as you see fit, and to have opinions about how others raise their kids. But please do NOT spread misinformation like this, it's irresponsible.
    So there is a specific age for letting kids go to playground by them self ( which they can actually do as soon as they start walking ) but there is no age limit for bringing kids to concerts ??
    it seems a lot is trying to justify bat judgement/ parating because they have done it themself ...and i seems to me a lot of people is focusing on the hearing protection, but what about all the other things going on at shows ( drunk people, stoned people , people fighting ( over a tambourine ) half naked people and so on )
    And I do not have the right to raise my child the way it fits me ( locking them up in a basement seems fair to me ) I don't have children so stop worrying ( it is the neighbors kids )

Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • Options
    I have a daughter who understands my PJ love, and I have always thought of taking her to see a concert... That being said, I know it wouldn't work for her, or me, to have brought her at that young age. She would NEVER have lasted 3hrs in one spot, let alone in one spot with ear phones on. The proximity of soo many people at that young age would have bothered her, and got her fussing. Then there is the whole logistics of feeding & diaper changes during the concert. I just know for me personally I would not have enjoyed the experience because ultimately the focus would be on your 18month old, and not the concert. Now my daughter is 7yrs old and teases me for having a crush on Eddie Vedder, she can stay up late without getting grumpy, she appreciates music and performances (we watch concerts on youtube together, she play the violin and understands the performance aspect... shit, we jam along to PJ concerts on youtube- she does an awesome dive/knee slide playing air guitar!!) lol... Anyway, now I know if I took her to a concert we would BOTH thoroughly enjoy the experience.

You know yourself and your child best, you know if it will work or not. Peoples opinions are just that, their opinion. Do what works for you guys.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited January 2016
    vest71 said:

JH6056 said:

vest71 said:

I have so many comments to what you wrote ...
    1. yes we can tell you are first time parents ( and just thinking you should leave it with that only one )
    2. I have seen 14-15 years old at PJ concerts that would rather be at home and half way through the show start texting and acting bored.
    3. considering the fact that you would be arrested for leaving your kid on a playground for 20 sec. unsupervised I can't think what would happen if you took an infant to a concert.
    4. Can't help thinking you already knew the response but you just needed some "adult" to tell you
    Stay home and enjoy your parenthood and act like a grown up with a responsibility, and wait 3-4-5 years to get a sitter and then you would really enjoy the concerts.

Wow, the misinformation keeps on coming.

While you absolutely should not leave your kid of any age unsupervised on a playground (until they're old enough to go there on their own), if you saw someone with a baby at a concert and called the police or called CPS, they would ask you questions. If the baby has ear protection and does not seem in distress, absolutely nothing will happen. How do I know? I used to work with CPS. And I still work with CPS intake regularly in my work with another agency, and we've discussed things like this many times (because I tell them the crazy misinformation I read on the internet and they tell me what is right and what is wrong).

I've given the specific scenario of kids of every age (babies, toddlers, young kids, tweens, teens). As long as the child has appropriate ear protection, the parents/adults with them are coherent and attentive, and the child does not appear to be in distress, and there isn't massive danger around (like a young kid in a mosh pit is clearly idiotic), then neither the police nor CPS are even going to pay attention.

You all have every right to raise your own kids as you see fit, and to have opinions about how others raise their kids. But please do NOT spread misinformation like this, it's irresponsible.
    So there is a specific age for letting kids go to playground by them self ( which they can actually do as soon as they start walking ) but there is no age limit for bringing kids to concerts ??
    it seems a lot is trying to justify bat judgement/ parating because they have done it themself ...and i seems to me a lot of people is focusing on the hearing protection, but what about all the other things going on at shows ( drunk people, stoned people , people fighting ( over a tambourine ) half naked people and so on )
    And I do not have the right to raise my child the way it fits me ( locking them up in a basement seems fair to me ) I don't have children so stop worrying ( it is the neighbors kids )

It's always good to educate those who have questions, so happy to answer yours :)

YES, there IS an age (although what age varies by jurisdiction) at which it's ok to leave children unsupervised for short periods of time, and then longer periods of time. Failing to do so is called "inadequate supervision". This is about when you or an appropriate adult is not around.

Guess what? When you bring your kid to a concert, you are around. Your child is not unsupervised. So the concerns about kids at playgrounds alone are very different from the concerns about kids at concerts. Got that part?

As for what you see at shows, here's more useful info for you: 18 month olds aren't going to register drunk people or naked people. How much do you remember from when you were 18 months old? Yes, that's the point.

For young kids that do register what they see, drunk stoned screaming people are just a spectacle. I would worry about half naked or fighting people, but in all my years of going to rock concerts, maybe it's just the types of bands I love but I have rarely seen any nudity or fighting (not including mosh pits, which, I would never ever have a child in a mosh pit anyway, so...).

Btw if you're against kids witnessing drunk, stoned, naked, fighting people in public, do you get on discussions of sports events and also talk about bad parenting choices? Because I've seen WAY more of those (like, abundantly more) at sports events, and kids of all ages. Lots of kids.

I have zero problem with you having a problem with people taking kids to shows. Fortunately, no parents on here have to do what anyone here says, and no one needs to justify their choices to you or anyone here. But incorrect statements about what's legal or what the police will act on need to be cleared up, which is the only reason I keep posting. We've gotten several side-eyes at some concerts or festivals, but more than anything we overwhelmingly get positive or neutral. We've had so many parents come up and comment how well our kids do or how happy they seem, and others surprised when the show is over that our kids were even there because they were right near us and didn't notice.

And most importantly of all, when our kids were young, they didn't care (i.e. slept through it completely), or enjoyed it (older, mostly festivals until old enough to actually care about the music). Now they're old pros. Including being very clear about which shows they do and don't want to go to. And they only go when they want to.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    PorchRadioPorchRadio Aurora, IL Posts: 233
    vest71 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Most 10 year olds I know wouldn't want to go see a crusty old band like Pearl Jam. 10 Seconds of Summer maybe. That's where us parent's with little ones are all inching closer towards every year! Disney on Ice, and the next big 'thing'.

Sure, but there ARE younger kids out there who are into rock and PJ. Not all kids like the same things. And a 10 year old is obviously old enough to express his or her opinion on the matter. Plus, maybe parents want to share the experience with their kids. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they are old enough to appreciate it and not be an annoyance to people near them.
    Kids at concerts is always annoying, so do the rest of us a favor and leave your kids ( 18 month, 5 years , 10 years ,up to the point were they can pay for them self and really enjoy the show )at home and stop that with they loooooove the band and so, no they don't, they want to see what kind of funny things mom and dad do when they are out on parents night
    Look at the edgelord here! I brought my 10 year old son to the Milwaukee show in 2013. Was he a massive fan beforehand? No, he listened to them some, but he has diverse tastes in music. I wanted him to experience a show with me, so I asked if he wanted to go. We had an amazing time, and really bonded over it. He has the poster from the show hanging from his wall, and keeps asking me when they are coming around again (going to try and get him to Wrigley).

If a 10 year old being around you bothers you, it is not their problem, but yours. Get off your high horse, enjoy the show, and maybe one day you can have a moment like I did that night.

/rant
    1995 Soldier Field, Chicago
    1998 Alpine Valley, WI
    2000 Indianapolis, IN
    2011 PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2013 Wrigley Field
    2013 Voodoo Fest New Orleans, LA
    2014 Moline, IL (No Code)
    2014 Milwaukee, WI (Yield)
    2016 Greenville, SC (Vs)
    2016 Columbia, SC
    2016 Bonnaroo
    2016 Wrigley I & II
  • Options
    froggsfroggs Posts: 17
    My daughter's first concert ever was PJ night 2 at United Center in 2009. She was 10. We were about 18 rows or so back. I remember getting some looks back then and perhaps some people thought she was too young to be there. I don't know, but I'm glad her first concert wasn't Taylor Swift. She had a great time but did take a nap midway through, hehe. She was 14 when I took her to the epic Wrigley concert in 2013 and enjoyed it way more despite the heat and the storm delay in the bowels of Wrigley.
  • Options
    12 and up ... okay, but younger .... No! Especially babies and toddlers. Would be nice if adults could enjoy at least a few "kid free zones" these days. Harder and harder to find such places in today's world. I don't hate kids, just don't like 'em all that much either. No disrespect; just sayin'.

Now get off my fuckin' lawn.
  • Options
    I think 18 months old would be too young for even Disney on Ice!
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Taking a kid to Pearl Jam ? Wait for a nice spring day, and invade Citizens Bank Park . batting cages , cracker jacks, soda pop ..... If youre next to me in the pit , it may get a little rough when ANIMAL comes on ....lol
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    For the love of Christ... please leave the kids at home
  • Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199
    We have 2 girls that love pearl jam...they are 10 and 7...they went to 2 shows in 2014...I'm sure people gave us looks because we were bringing our kids to a show...but during both shows people came to us and told us how great it was to see them singing and dancing to every song...we know our children...we know what to expect at a show...we know that we my have to bust out a bag of skittles in the second encore because we did to many things that day. ...

This is not the situation for everyone...I've see parents miserable at shows with their kids...I've also seen people rallying around kids who are having the time of there life...people might give you dirty looks because they can't imagine bringing there own kid to a show...

All that being said....18 months is way too young...I will not end well.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Don't take your kids they will want to go again!!!!
  • Options
    MikeoMikeo Posts: 199

Don't take your kids they will want to go again!!!!

This