Options

Bringing kids to concerts - Experience + 10C tickets

Comments

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited January 2016
    As someone who had very limited options for childcare but also had a 1st baby/kid who could have slept through the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, and whose first concert (Flight of the Conchords) was when she was 3 months old (noise cancelling headphones are KEY), this will be long (sorry!) but I have a few experiences to share.

Is 18 months too young? It depends on your expectations. I'd say it's *definitely* too young if you are asking if your kid will enjoy it, be interested, and stay awake the whole time. So from that point of view, I'd say don't do it because it's too much to expect actual interest from a toddler. Ours saw shows at 3 months old, 6 months, and we took her to Coachella at 18 months. Festivals are MUCH easier, because while she had no interest at all in the music, she loved people-watching, running, bubbles, food, walking around, and more people-watching. We also had a reclining stroller so for naptime and bedtime, once she was laid back and had those headphones on, she slept through EVERYTHING, including getting in and out of her carseat to go back to where we stayed. So no cranky sleepy meltdowns, but that's because we knew she'd sleep when she was ready to sleep and hardly anything would wake her up.

I know you have to put in for tix this weekend, so if you have no "Plan B" if your kid won't keep the headphones on and sleep through a show, then you probably can't risk putting in for tix. But if you have a Plan B and can go without your kid (grandparents or whatever other options you trust) if you then test out at other local, cheaper shows to see how your kid does (and where you can go home without losing much if your kid hates it/won't sleep), then you have time and ability to test run some things before actual PJ shows and figure out if it'll work or not. It's harder in winter when there aren't outdoor shows to test this at, but #1 you MUST test whether your kid will keep the headphones on or not. If not, then no matter what else is a factor, I'd say you can't do it because hearing is absolutely too sensitive (even if they don't complain) and you could do real damage. So can you take your kid to a matinee of a kids movie or to a cheap concert to see if the headphones stay on and how they do? And if your kid melts down or just isn't having it, you haven't risked much, and if you have a Plan B you use it and just go the 2 of you.

By the way, I don't think anyone asked me for a ticket for our oldest until she was 3 yrs old (because if she wasn't baby in backpack carrier, she always sat in my lap - we always had seats or only took her to venues where there was somewhere we could sit so she could lay down on/next to us). So I'd say most likely no, you don't need a ticket for a toddler, but call any venues you're considering and ask what their policy is about babies/toddlers who would not need their own seat (they usually can't see anything anyway from a seat but if you want one for her, that's cool too).

For us the golden rule is: know your child. Learn their tolerance for staying up later, sleeping somewhere unfamiliar, keeping their headphones on, and the darkness/bright lights and screaming. Our youngest is not as chill at shows as oldest, so that kinda means there are shows we can't go to unless we have childcare. Honestly, we hardly ever go to shows these days, but if it's someone we're dying to see (and especially now if the oldest wants to go too) we figure it out.

The whole "It's not an appropriate place for kids" thing, to me is BS except for exposure to non-stop smoke right next to us. That's the only thing that ever made us move away from people at a show. To young kids, drunk/high/ridiculous people just look amusing. And though we've never seen a fight or dangerous behavior at shows we've taken our kids to, if there's ongoing smoke or someone looks too unsteady for comfort, we just moved somewhere else. That's MUCH harder to do at a sold out, reserved seating concert, because presumably every seat is taken. So that is something to consider. I think most of the shows we saw before our oldest was 3 were not all out rock fests (until Coachella, but again, festivals are different since there is so much space, you can move around, and kids can run or lay out with no problem). And now when we go (they're still under 10 but have their own opinions about what they do and don't want to see) even if it is a rock show, there's very little that phases them. I guess if someone was being dangerous I'd grab the kids and go find a security guard instead of trying to find other seats.

But people rocking out, singing, screaming, ranting? To me that's no biggie for a kid to see. We've seen FAR WORSE behavior at sports events, and people bring kids of all ages to those all the time.

Test it out, see how your kid does, and then decide if you can go. Or if you can't risk buying tix and then finding out your kid ain't having it, skip this round but still test it out at lower-stakes shows that you can leave with no problem if you have to. Then you'll know for the next PJ tour.

My kids were only freaked out at one show: Yo Gabba Gabba Live LOL! They ended up loving it, but especially the oldest was wholly and completely freaked out at the idea that they were on t.v., and now suddenly they're right in front of her. But concerts, they're like "Whatever" or "Why aren't you taking me???" :)

Good luck, hope some or all of this was at least a little helpful.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    10 yrs old is absolutely old enough, especially if it's something your kid wants on their own to go to. I was allowed to go to my first show without an adult (just with friends) at 13, so yeah, for us 10 is absolutely old enough to have an opinion, love the music, and enjoy the show. Still bring ear plugs or headphones, and know your kid's tolerance for staying up later than usual. But if your kid is good with that, why not bring him/her?

And for the record, even though I was allowed to go on my own with friends to shows when I was 13, we're not allowing that for our kids until older than that. But if they'll be with adults we trust, 10 and even younger is fine, so 13 is totally fine.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    edited January 2016

Hi, Looking for advice from those who have attended shows with children!

My husband and I are considering travelling to Boston or NY for one of the upcoming shows. We're both 10C members but would probably just use one of our numbers and hope we get a pair. We were thinking of taking our little kid (she'll be 18 months by May) to the show with us. Is this crazy? Would she need her own ticket (in which case, we'd both have to use our 10C # and hope we both get a pair of tickets). Would an 18 month old WANT to be at a PJ show? Would she be freaked out by the noise, crowd and lights? We would buy those fancy noise blocking headphones but there's no guarantee she'd allow them to stay on for 2 hours (not to mention the show is WAY past her bedtime!)

As a parent of 2 kids, I hope this isn't a serious post.
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    edited January 2016
    I remember when I was 6 months old and my mom took me to see Zeppelin. Sure I can't hear out of my left ear but at least I can say to my friends that I saw Zeppelin.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I think your child should be old enough to answer the question,"do you want to go to the show?"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    the best is when you attach a note to your baby and toss it up on stage for Edie to find your note.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    MayDay10 said:

the best is when you attach a note to your baby and toss it up on stage for Edie to find your note.

Oh jesus! :rofl:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

I think your child should be old enough to answer the question,"do you want to go to the show?"

Good point.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    edited January 2016
    90% of the kids at these shows are there because:

A. Pearl Jam Dad or Mom can't find/afford a sitter.
    B. Pearl Jam Dad or Mom has no one else to go to show with.

Rarely is it because the kid is begging to go to the show.

I have two kids (6/4) and I could ask them if they wanted to go watch paint dry and if I phrased it properly they'd be jumping up and down excited.

I thought the little kids at the show was cute until a random girl passed me a spliff and when I looked to my right all I see is a second grader missing his front teeth just staring at me.

Post edited by DP13 on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    DP13 said:

90% of the kids at these shows are there because:

A. Pearl Jam Dad or Mom can't find/afford a sitter.
    B. Pearl Jam Dad or Mom has no one else to go to show with.

Rarely is it because the kid is begging to go to the show.

I have two kids (6/4) and I could ask them if they wanted to go watch paint dry and if I phrased it properly they'd be jumping up and down excited.

I thought the little kids at the show was cute until a random girl passed me a spliff and when I looked to my right all I see is a second grader missing his front teeth just staring at me.

You forgot ....

C. Mom and or dad want a tambourine
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Yes, C is the answer. That and somehow it was everyone's birthday the day of each show last year. Have to get that wine
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    taking an 18 month (or anything younger than about 7 or 8 in my opinion) to a concert is just selfish parenting. sorry there is no reason for it. at that point you are saying your child is either an inconvenience for you or you are using said child as a prop. either way not good.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    pjhawks said:

taking an 18 month (or anything younger than about 7 or 8 in my opinion) to a concert is just selfish parenting. sorry there is no reason for it. at that point you are saying your child is either an inconvenience for you or you are using said child as a prop. either way not good.

Yep. I can't believe this was a serious question as to whether or not you should bring an 18 month old to a 3 hour rock concert. Wow.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    As a parent of a 5 year old and an 18 month old.....dont bring an 18 month old. If you put noise cancelling headphones on that kid, they are eventually going to rip those off.

I am ok with bringing older kids. Teens, absolutely. 5-12? It really depends on the kid.

The biggest thing to consider is how the kid will effect the show for the people around you. Will the kid talk the entire show? Will they cry? Will they sit on the floor, and will the people near them worry about stepping on them? Will someone be smoking something near them? How many bathroom breaks?

I look at it like this...if the kid is in diapers....then its an absolute HARD NO. A kid that young really doesnt belong at a show like that. (See my Alpine Valley comments below)

if the kid is old enough to enjoy the music, and handle 3 hours with headphones on....then maybe.

As for Alpine....if you decided to sit WAY WAY WAY back up on the lawn, and stay away from most people....I could probably handle someone bringing a baby back there. Music is softer on the ears, you are closer to the bathrooms,etc. But this would mean you are going to miss a ton of songs due to diaper changes, etc. Not to mention....bedtimes. there is no way my 2-3 year old would stay up past 9pm and that is pushing it.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Someone just asked a similar question on one of the FB groups, and I can't tell if it's mocking this thread or if it's serious. I really hope it's the former.

It'd be hilari-sad if the band has to consider an age restriction to protect kids from their selfish, dim-witted parents who are convinced their special kid is going to be able to handle 3+ hours in that environment. I mean, hell, even Weird Al has an age restriction of 12+. Mind you, Ed doesn't wear a psychedelic leisure suit & do ye olde bump'n'grind on half the ladies in the aisle seats. But still.

(Hi, Hedo!)
  • Options

If i ask my 5 year old, "Do you want to go to this?", she will almost 100% of the time say yes, because she has no idea what that all entails. I get your point tho...they should be able to speak, in my opinion. They need to be able to verbalize if something is bothering them, so that you can quickly act on it. "im hungry!" Ok, we go get food and dont bother other people.

an 18 month old might just start crying....it could be they are hungry, need a diaper change, hate the smell of smoke, or dont like the dark/music/people, etc.

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Yes, C is the answer. That and somehow it was everyone's birthday the day of each show last year. Have to get that wine

But the wine is tasty. :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    why is she crying? she's wearing noise cancelling headphones. she should be okay.

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    rival. said:

why is she crying? she's wearing noise cancelling headphones. she should be okay.

And it looks like mom is smiling. Maybe not reproducing is the best option.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    rival. said:

She heard "Just Breathe" again
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

rival. said:

She heard "Just Breathe" again
    Or she's pissed someone next to her got the tambourine...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    edited January 2016
    TalonTedd said:

RP112579 said:

Way too young. Simple as that.

How about a ten year old boy with his old man, standing at the back of the pit. So he could see the show and all the fun everyone will be having. Oh and ear plugs in.

I want to have this experience with my oldest and lets face it, its a rock band; could all come to an end any moment.

He's a fan....mostly by default of course. But he knows how much these shows mean to me and he wants to be part of it. Man if I could get a member to forward an unused GA I would take my six year old too. He loves to air guitar and sing the songs....my little mini me.
    I have an 11 year old (only child) we took him to see Goyte, he had so much fun but was really tired, so we left 2 songs before the end, he was 8 at the time. Then 2 years ago we flew interstate to see EV and took our son, he had a great time. Since then he's seen Foo Fighters and Rise Against, and keeps asking when are we seeing another band. All concerts we have been to, we have been seated and he's worn ear plugs.
    I think it depends on individual kids and if they love the music. Sounds like both of your kids love the music, I recommend seats, so they can at least see. I'm a short person and hate going to a concert and only seeing others heads! Just be aware taking young ones (6-8 years) may mean you as a parent miss out parts of the show if your child needs bathroom or is too tired and wants to go home, otherwise you'll end up with tears.
    Good luck getting tickets and have an awesome night.
    Post edited by Natashapearljamfan on
  • Options
    vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    I have so many comments to what you wrote ...
    1. yes we can tell you are first time parents ( and just thinking you should leave it with that only one )
    2. I have seen 14-15 years old at PJ concerts that would rather be at home and half way through the show start texting and acting bored.
    3. considering the fact that you would be arrested for leaving your kid on a playground for 20 sec. unsupervised I can't think what would happen if you took an infant to a concert.
    4. Can't help thinking you already knew the response but you just needed some "adult" to tell you
    Stay home and enjoy your parenthood and act like a grown up with a responsibility, and wait 3-4-5 years to get a sitter and then you would really enjoy the concerts.
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    I saw Alabama 3 times between 2 and 5,
    Reba Mcantire at 7,
    Forigner/Bad Company at 9....
    The 1st concerts that were my choice, AC/DC at 11, Ballbreaker tour, I knew every word, people were getting high, did not bother me, no ear plugs,
    Ted Nugent/Bad Co at 12, was great,
    13 - Metallica Reload tour, started with "so Fucking what", ended with "Battery", was the 1st show my parents let my friends go with us.
    14- I went to my 1st show without my parents, just friends - Pantera 101 proof tour

All in between those years were lots of 70s bands, rock and country that I can`t remember....All I know I saw Forigner 4 times and never want to see a saxaphone solo on a catwalk again in my life.

Saying all that....I would not do it if I were you, might waste your $ and have a bad time.... I would start them out on something tame
  • Options
    OP
    In the last 18mos have you wished even once you had just a "minute for me time"?
    If not then you will be wishing that the entire concert.
    It won't be fun.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

Thanks for the sincere replies. It was definitely a long shot for us to actually bring her to the show given her age (which I acknowledge is too young to withstand a late night, 3 hour show but she's a good baby so I guess there was a glimmer of hope that she would enjoy herself? Yeah, unlikely).

There'll be another tour for us... maybe if some Western Canada dates are announced and then babysitter option could happen.

They asked, got honest answers from many people, and replied with this. Yet pages later people just keep piling on. Did you all read the whole thread? Looks to me like it was put to bed.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    As a father of five I would definitely suggest not bringing an 18 month old to a concert. Unfortunately kids get in the way of some things but in the end they are well worth it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

As a parent of a 5 year old and an 18 month old.....dont bring an 18 month old. If you put noise cancelling headphones on that kid, they are eventually going to rip those off.

You cannot and shouldn't try to speak for all kids on the point on ripping headphones off. Our oldest never did, ever. Our younger yeah, sometimes, which is another reason we didn't do shows as young with the youngest. But our oldest and kids of other friends we have absolutely range from those who hate headphones and rip them off immediately, to those who totally don't mind and leave them on, never rip them off.

The key is finding out which kind your kid is. But no one should believe anyone who generalizes about all kids, because that's a sure sign that it's wrong.
  • Options
    vest71 said:

I have so many comments to what you wrote ...
    1. yes we can tell you are first time parents ( and just thinking you should leave it with that only one )
    2. I have seen 14-15 years old at PJ concerts that would rather be at home and half way through the show start texting and acting bored.
    3. considering the fact that you would be arrested for leaving your kid on a playground for 20 sec. unsupervised I can't think what would happen if you took an infant to a concert.
    4. Can't help thinking you already knew the response but you just needed some "adult" to tell you
    Stay home and enjoy your parenthood and act like a grown up with a responsibility, and wait 3-4-5 years to get a sitter and then you would really enjoy the concerts.

Wow, the misinformation keeps on coming.

While you absolutely should not leave your kid of any age unsupervised on a playground (until they're old enough to go there on their own), if you saw someone with a baby at a concert and called the police or called CPS, they would ask you questions. If the baby has ear protection and does not seem in distress, absolutely nothing will happen. How do I know? I used to work with CPS. And I still work with CPS intake regularly in my work with another agency, and we've discussed things like this many times (because I tell them the crazy misinformation I read on the internet and they tell me what is right and what is wrong).

I've given the specific scenario of kids of every age (babies, toddlers, young kids, tweens, teens). As long as the child has appropriate ear protection, the parents/adults with them are coherent and attentive, and the child does not appear to be in distress, and there isn't massive danger around (like a young kid in a mosh pit is clearly idiotic), then neither the police nor CPS are even going to pay attention.

You all have every right to raise your own kids as you see fit, and to have opinions about how others raise their kids. But please do NOT spread misinformation like this, it's irresponsible.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

Vedd Hedd said:

You cannot and shouldn't try to speak for all kids on the point on ripping headphones off. Our oldest never did, ever. Our younger yeah, sometimes, which is another reason we didn't do shows as young with the youngest. But our oldest and kids of other friends we have absolutely range from those who hate headphones and rip them off immediately, to those who totally don't mind and leave them on, never rip them off.

The key is finding out which kind your kid is. But no one should believe anyone who generalizes about all kids, because that's a sure sign that it's wrong.
    Im really not trying to speak for all kids or all parents. Merely giving my personal experience, which is what was asked for. 18 month old kids "generally" are unpredictable, which is what i was going for. Case in point, someone thinking, "Oh its totally fine, I'll just give them noise cancelling headphones!", that may or may not work out well. Even if the kid tolerates them at home...will they do that for 3+hours under strange conditions, with 20,000 people, etc.

Obviously, each parent knows their own kid better than a stranger on a message board. These are just things to consider...you know...when bringing your toddler to a rock concert.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission