Vault Shows / SBD / FM / Pre-FM / ALD / How do you think they are choosing the Vault shows?

stevedsteved Posts: 651
edited January 2016 in The Porch
If these are the current vaults that have been released in chronological order, and I have attempted to list to the best of my memory what is currently available to listen to of high quality (SBD / FM / PRE-FM / ALD / etc..), there are some large gaps in certain areas of their career where official releases were not done yet, and there were some pretty saturated areas where we can already find some great shows to listen to, what is the best place to fill in? Curious to your thoughts on not picking your favorite show, but if they are picking based on sound quality and not these factors. Some of these seem to be "special" shows and some not at all.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.17.1992 - Seattle, WA (12 songs with 1 omitted )
There are 16 SBD or FM / Pre-FM Complete or Almost complete shows available from "Ten" Tour. Though there were many legs and many shows. 16 is plenty, lets move on unless they plan on releasing all recordings.

11.30.1993 - Las Vegas. NV
( 20 songs )
Rotterdam and Indio are the only other shows I know of from 93' (3 Total ) IMO Vegas was not a stand out performance or setlist of this tour. Very good sound and mix, but they could have chosen a much better show to represent this time period!

1994 - Only the Fox Theater 4.03.94 Show, and 4.12.94 Orpheum Boston is available to listen to from this tour in a SBD. Amazing shows, but we need More 94'!!!!!

1995 - (8 shows from 1995) Self Pollution, D.C, Melbourne, Chicago, Salt Lake City x2, San Jose, San Diego ( No September US, and no Asia)

1996 - (1996 Only 2 Shows Hartford ALD / Matrix and Berlin PRE-FM) Very much in need of more....

9.19.1998 - Washington D.C ( 24 songs )
(7 Shows ) Melbourne, Maryland Heights ALD Matrix, Inglewood x2 ALD Matrix, Seattle, Mansfield ALD Matrix,

5.10.2000 - Bellingham, WA ( 24 songs ) After this show start of Official Bootleg Series...

2004 VFC Tour Shows not represented

8.02.2007 - Chicago, IL ( 24 songs ) Shows that would be similar to this and Bellingham would be the Seattle 96, Beacon, Irving Plaza etc...

2007 - Shows not represented....

Also worth noting 3 of the Vault releases have been 24 songs where as on those tours those were relatively short. Wondering if they are keeping them on the short side to avoid the need for them to press too many vinyls?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To each fan we have our favorite tours and different ages and times in our lives that we started going to our first shows. We have sentimental reasons for wanting specific shows. This is just an objective look at what is out there to listen to already, and where there are holes that can be filled. I know that specific legs of tours do change the feel of things drastically sometimes, so it isn't as simple as just putting a year or album label on something. I also know that some of these recordings I listed sound better than others and are not of the quality of what a vault release would be. There are also some amazing audience recordings that to me sometimes are better than a badly mixed FM sometimes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The largest gaps seem to be in 1993, 1994, 1996.... What do you guys think???

---------------------------------------------------------------

By the way all opinions expressed here are of a guy who is an admitted mental defective with many issues!
1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

Post edited by steved on

Comments

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited January 2016
    Specific shows/tours I would like to see released (not necessarily in order). For the record, of the 70 shows I have attended, these are none of them. Like you, I don't just want shows I attended, I want shows that have no quality recording in circulation.

1. 02/19/92 - Albani Bar of Music: Winterthur, Switzerland (acoustic) - only track we have is Garden on PJ20 deluxe. Other than this, I feel like we have enough great recordings from the Ten era.

2. 1994 theater shows (03/06/94 - Paramount Theater: Denver, CO, 03/07/94 - Paramount Theater: Denver, CO, 03/14/94 - Fox Theater: St. Louis, MO, 03/15/94 - Fox Theater: St. Louis, MO, 03/19/94 - Masonic Theater: Detroit, MI). There are also some arena shows that are missing in good quality (West Lafayette, Cleveland, Memphis).

3. 1995 Asia/OZ - Man these shows are incredible! Osaka 2/21 is one of my favorites with the best "Go" I have ever heard. Anything from 2/24/95 - 3/3/95 would be great. The 3/24 and 3/25 New Zealand shows would also be great.

4. 1996 - Istanbul. Again, such a great tour.

5. 1998 - New Zealand

For those who missed it, Jeff mentioned during the Twitter Q&A that they are reviewing a list of 12 or so shows for the next Vault, so hopefully the next one won;t just be something we already have like the last one.

Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    What are "pre-fm" and "ALD"? I assume ALD us audience?

Also, wouldn't SBD be better quality than an fm radio broadcast or audience recording?
    my2hands said:

Also, wouldn't SBD be better quality than an fm radio broadcast or audience recording?

ALD = assistive listening device.

Yes, a properly mixed SBD is typically better than any other recording, but the point is that since we only get maybe one Vault release a year, i would be preferable for them to release a show of which no recording is in circulation rather than upgrading something we have already heard/been listing to for years.
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited January 2016
    ALD stands for Assisted Listening Device. It is a soundboard that is mono that someone was able to get from the venues feed. It usually is lacking in some of the bass but if harnessed cleanly is still a soundboard and is many times combined with a quality audience recording to complete the listening experience to provide an almost top quality recording.
    my2hands said:

Yes a pure soundboard is better than an FM broadcast in most cases because it is not compressed and sounds more crisp. A Pre-Fm usually is of similar quality to the soundboard because it is not compressed.

Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    anybody want to send me the ald source of the inglewood shows?! I was at both shows and the only recordings I ever heard were my own (from a shitty ass mic/tape set up). Thanks.
    Mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    95: soldier field?
    They are available on Zomb.
    mcgruff10 said:

anybody want to send me the ald source of the inglewood shows?! I was at both shows and the only recordings I ever heard were my own (from a shitty ass mic/tape set up). Thanks.
    Mike

They are available on Zomb.
    hehehehe! Soldier Field!

They sound great Mike! If you run in to trouble with using Zomb let me know I can try to help you or I will send you out some CD's...

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Agree on the 95 statement. Osaka 2/21/95 was sick. I'll never forget when I first heard that land of the rising sun bootleg. Go almost knocked me off my chair.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    zomb is the bomb
    aqo2t.jpg
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    steved said:

If these are the current vaults that have been released in chronological order, and I have attempted to list to the best of my memory what is currently available to listen to of high quality (SBD / FM / PRE-FM / ALD / etc..), there are some large gaps in certain areas of their career where official releases were not done yet, and there were some pretty saturated areas where we can already find some great shows to listen to, what is the best place to fill in? Curious to your thoughts on not picking your favorite show, but if they are picking based on sound quality and not these factors. Some of these seem to be "special" shows and some not at all.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.17.1992 - Seattle, WA (12 songs with 1 omitted )
    There are 16 SBD or FM / Pre-FM Complete or Almost complete shows available from "Ten" Tour. Though there were many legs and many shows. 16 is plenty, lets move on unless they plan on releasing all recordings.

11.30.1993 - Las Vegas. NV
    ( 20 songs )
    Rotterdam and Indio are the only other shows I know of from 93' (3 Total ) IMO Vegas was not a stand out performance or setlist of this tour. Very good sound and mix, but they could have chosen a much better show to represent this time period!

1994 - Only the Fox Theater 4.03.94 Show, and 4.12.94 Orpheum Boston is available to listen to from this tour in a SBD. Amazing shows, but we need More 94'!!!!!

1995 - (7 shows from 1995) Self Pollution, D.C, Melbourne, Salt Lake City x2, San Jose, San Diego ( Nothing in between March and Nov and no Asia)

1996 - (1996 Only 2 Shows Hartford ALD / Matrix and Berlin PRE-FM) Very much in need of more....

9.19.1998 - Washington D.C ( 24 songs )
    (7 Shows ) Melbourne, Maryland Heights ALD Matrix, Inglewood x2 ALD Matrix, Seattle, Mansfield ALD Matrix,

5.10.2000 - Bellingham, WA ( 24 songs ) After this show start of Official Bootleg Series...

8.02.2007 - Chicago, IL ( 24 songs ) Shows that would be similar to this and Bellingham would be the Seattle 96, Beacon, Irving Plaza etc...

Also worth noting 3 of the Vault releases have been 24 songs where as on those tours those were relatively short. Wondering if they are keeping them on the short side to avoid the need for them to press too many vinyls?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To each fan we have our favorite tours and different ages and times in our lives that we started going to our first shows. We have sentimental reasons for wanting specific shows. This is just an objective look at what is out there to listen to already, and where there are holes that can be filled. I know that specific legs of tours do change the feel of things drastically sometimes, so it isn't as simple as just putting a year or album label on something. I also know that some of these recordings I listed sound better than others and are not of the quality of what a vault release would be. There are also some amazing audience recordings that to me sometimes are better than a badly mixed FM sometimes.

very good post
    aqo2t.jpg
    steved said:

They sound great Mike! If you run in to trouble with using Zomb let me know I can try to help you or I will send you out some CD's...

I m 38 years old and have no clue what the heck zOmb is lol. I d really appreciate the cd s when you have some time. Thank you so much!!
    Isn't Topeka Kansas 93 and st petersburg 94 soundboard?
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    steved said:

Also worth noting 3 of the Vault releases have been 24 songs where as on those tours those were relatively short.
    Wondering if they are keeping them on the short side to avoid the need for them to press too many vinyls?

The largest gaps seem to be in 1993, 1994, 1996.... What do you guys think???

How many songs on the setlist for the secret Seattle '96 show at The Showbox? :wink:
    derbydave said:

No Code Tour opener / Secret Show @ The Showbox
    Seattle / September 14th, 1996
    http://pearljam.com/setlists/1011/1996/20115/the_showbox

23 songs...plus...like Bellingham...it was the first time many of these songs were played live.
    Just a few reasons why I'm thinking this would be a good choice for Vault release.
    I'm thinking they should be able to fit this show on a triple vinyl set too!! :rock_on:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

edited January 2016
    mcgruff10 said:

If you mean Wichita, then no, those are both audience. They didnt play Topeka.

Zomb is a torrent site, not just for the youngsters ;)

mcgruff10 said:

If you mean Wichita, then no, those are both audience. They didnt play Topeka.

Zomb is a torrent site, not just for the youngsters ;)
    Wichita. My bad. I ve listened to way too many boots.
    mcgruff10 said:

steved said:

I m 38 years old and have no clue what the heck zOmb is lol. I d really appreciate the cd s when you have some time. Thank you so much!!
    Dude someone needs to show you how to fish, not just feed you! Hundreds of shows are available... I'm 41 and not very tech savy.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Wasn't Berlin 96' professionally done up by BOB or Brett Eliason? Released in limited quantities abroad?
    www.cluthelee.com

Wasn't Berlin 96' professionally done up by BOB or Brett Eliason? Released in limited quantities abroad?

Berlin was FM (and later pre-FM). I think you're thinking of 3/17/95 Melbourne.
    mcgruff10 said:

steved said:

I will burn them for you don't get me wrong, but please look into letting us help you with understanding how to do this. You are really missing out!

steved said:

mcgruff10 said:

steved said:

I will burn them for you don't get me wrong, but please look into letting us help you with understanding how to do this. You are really missing out!
    Ok please teach me the ways. I had trouble with drop box lol.
    Sounds good... I'm at dinner with my wife, but tomorrow I will walk you through the steps...

edited January 2016
    steved said:

Sounds good... I'm at dinner with my wife, but tomorrow I will walk you through the steps...

awesome and thank you! By the way, you have me by 5 shows. I need to catch up.
    mcgruff10 said:

steved said:

Nope, I'm coming out of a 4 year retirement because of my daughter. Hoping to hit a bunch of shows this year! Lol

• I'm guessing they are keeping the selections to short shows because the price already is astronomical enough and a longer show would mean more discs and higher costs.
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    mcgruff10 said:

steved said:

Hey Mike, once you learn can you please teach me? Thanks

mcgruff10 said:

steved said:

Hey Mike, once you learn can you please teach me? Thanks
    You got it!! Thanks for teaching me drop box!!
  • Great post. It really is intriguing as to the thought process of why certain shows are picked - and who in the band, if anyone, is involved in picking them.
    It would be amazing for them to do an ape/man kinda thing for each tour - they pick their 5 favourite shows and then we as the fan club pick one for them to release on vinyl. I'd love a recent show on record. Surely there'd be enough traction to make it worth while? Only problem is the cost and postage - my latest vault, including postage, cost me 90euro. That's a ludicrous amount of money.
    I have edited the original post, but when I first wrote it I completely forgot Soldier Field! I guess I have listened to it so much that it just didn't even register anymore... Hey over all I did pretty well from memory..LOL ( Nobody else caught it before I did either )

1995 - (7 shows from 1995) Self Pollution, D.C, Melbourne, Salt Lake City x2, San Jose, San Diego ( Nothing in between March and Nov and no Asia)