RIP Bowie

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764
    hard to believe he may have his first #1 album
    I miss igotid88
  • northerndragonnortherndragon Posts: 9,851
    edited January 2016
    I think this tweet says it really beautifully

Thinking about how we mourn artists we've never met. We don't cry because we knew them, we cry because they helped us know ourselves.

— Juliette (@ElusiveJ) January 11, 2016
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • It's not an issue with Bowie per say, they just like to pick events(pretty much always funerals) to protest to force people to hear their views. They have done it to military, icons, even once a small child who died tragically. They are just assholes of the highest order and say they are doing it in the name of God.

And a lot of people hate muslims.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • He died of liver cancer. Was he a heavy drinker?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

He died of liver cancer. Was he a heavy drinker?

He was a heavy drug user and smoker. I read an article where there is speculation he had lung cancer, which is difficult to catch in the early stages. Then it affects the liver...
    I feel it's inappropriate to post the article here, so you will have to search for it on your own.

This thread should be about celebrating the life, art, and accomplishments of a great person who was very progressive...way beyond what anybody could imagine.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524

I think this tweet says it really beautifully

Thinking about how we mourn artists we've never met. We don't cry because we knew them, we cry because they helped us know ourselves.

— Juliette (@ElusiveJ) January 11, 2016

Truth. Love it.
    ^^^apparently brings tears too.
    And fuck it, while I'm at it. Wish they'd performed this together live but still beautiful.

(by the way, for those who may not recognize him...he's that Mercury guy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJCTgtDU-74
  • RKCNDY said:

He was a heavy drug user and smoker. I read an article where there is speculation he had lung cancer, which is difficult to catch in the early stages. Then it affects the liver...
    I feel it's inappropriate to post the article here, so you will have to search for it on your own.

This thread should be about celebrating the life, art, and accomplishments of a great person who was very progressive...way beyond what anybody could imagine.
    I know he had a bad cocaine habit in the 70's, I thought he was clean since.
  • Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    The last picture of David Bowie taken by his wife Iman last Friday on his 69th birthday.
    That makes me smile. He does :)
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    LOVE this. thanks for posting.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited January 2016
    bowie is as alive dead as he was alive, if you know what I mean.

In my mind, his passing was probably as seamless as any soul's could be, if you know what I mean .

he's the starman for Christ's sake, where he is at, he is good there, :star:
    Post edited by rollings on
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212

RKCNDY said:

I know he had a bad cocaine habit in the 70's, I thought he was clean since.
    Yes, I understand heavy cocaine use commonly leads to liver cancer & he was a heavy user in the Berlin days.

Meanwhile RIP David, peace & thoughts with his family.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,629
    rollings said:

In my mind, his passing was probably as seamless as any soul's could be, if you know what I mean .

Nicely said, Rollings!

So much of Bowie's music just blows me away and it will always be regarded as some of the best music produced in our time. At the same time, I thought he was great as an actor especially his rolls in "The Man Who Fell to Earth", "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence".

What a great body of work!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rollings said:

We were blessed with a visit from him on his travels...Glad he could stay a while. He is now off on another journey. Thank you David, you gave us all beautiful gifts.

- Christopher McCandless
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

The only reason I know this guys name is because Kurt Cobain said it was a David Bowie Song before he broke out into the rendition of The Man Who Sold The World during Nirvana Unplugged.
    Other than that I have no idea who this guy is.

Fitting post from a Trumphadist nazi like yourself. No wonder Bowie was afraid of Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QMRA3skBm4
    igotid88 said:

Scary Monsters was #1 in the UK the month, day and year I was born.

hedonist said:

RKCNDY said:

This is getting silly.
    why? people are paying tribute to a musical icon. show some respect.
    It is hard to take anything seriously when you have a wrassler dressed as music icon.
    Look, I have no doubt this bowie guy made good music during his time but that doesn't mean the PJ forum should be subdued because of his demise.
    PJ is eroding.
    If you don't like it then stay away from this thread.
    No need to act like a dick.
    The fact you said "this Bowie guy" just shows you are trolling.
    :rock_on:
    I thought this was a RIP thread and not about me.
    Cool passive aggressive retort, Adolf.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,764

igotid88 said:

Scary Monsters was #1 in the UK the month, day and year I was born.
    U.S. I meant
    I miss igotid88
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    edited January 2016
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

Fucking love this! Hadn't seen it before.

Thank you for sharing...that was a great article.

- Christopher McCandless
  • The only reason I know this guys name is because Kurt Cobain said it was a David Bowie Song before he broke out into the rendition of The Man Who Sold The World during Nirvana Unplugged.
    Other than that I have no idea who this guy is.

Fitting post from a Trumphadist nazi like yourself. No wonder Bowie was afraid of Americans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QMRA3skBm4
    The saddest and most embarrassing fact at least for me is that he isn't American, he's Canadian. On behalf of Canada, we're sorry.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.