Look Up, David Bowie’s in Heaven in Eerily Foreshadowing ‘Lazarus’ Video

The Reverend Shawn Amos
    January 11, 2016

Look up here, I’m in heaven
    I’ve got scars that can’t be seen
    I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen
    Everybody knows me now
    – ”Lazarus,” David Bowie (2016)

Last Thursday, one day before David Bowie’s 69th birthday, he released the video for his single, “Lazarus.” The following day, Jan. 8, his 25th album, Blackstar, was released to great critical acclaim.
    And two days later, on Jan 10, David Bowie shockingly died, after an 18-month battle with cancer.
    It’s impossible to watch ”Lazarus” and not think you are seeing one of our great artists choreographing his own death. This is as close to a goodbye as we’ll get from David Bowie. Bowie wasn’t much for hellos or goodbyes. He always came and went as he pleased.

Or maybe it’s the perfect goodbye. Bowie’s death was “sudden” only because his long slow illness was his secret. But it gave him time to plan his affairs. “Lazarus” is a man writing his own obituary in all the impressionistic, oblique language we would expect from someone who so generously gave his art while viciously guarding his life.
    In the Bible, Lazarus was the brother of Mary, whom Jesus raised from the dead. It’s fertile ground for a songwriter dying of cancer. In the video, Bowie lies on a hospital bed, screws in his eyes, outstretched like Jesus.

Look up here, man, I’m in danger
    I’ve got nothing left to lose
    I’m so high it makes my brain whirl
    Dropped my cell phone down below

Bowie writhes on the bed. Was he in pain in this final days? The announcement from his Twitter account says he died peacefully in his sleep. In the video, a shadowy female reaches from underneath the bed.

By the time I got to New York
    I was living like a king
    Then I used up all my money
    I was looking for your a–

We see the writer furiously getting out his thoughts on paper. He cannot write fast enough, and the paper isn’t large enough to contain his words. He writes down the side of the desk. He’s running out of time. Is he writing a goodbye letter? His last will and testament? Nonsensical ramblings induced by pain meds?
    Writers, fans, and curiosity-seekers will undoubtedly pore over the lyrics to Blackstar looking for confessional clues. They’ll come up empty. Bowie was not into clues. Bowie was a painter. Of images. Of words. Of imaginary places borne of fantasies and nightmares. He was a man who always looked up to the heavens. He knew we were made of stars and all destined to return to space and dust. Ashes to ashes.

The above photo — used as the cover of David Bowie’s 1977 album Heroes — sums up everything. He was the man everyone loved and no one knew. David Bowie is… was… that most precious of artists. He gave us all of his art yet none of himself. It was none of our business. His sexuality, marriage, fatherhood, and even his cancer were his and his alone.

This way or no way
    You know, I’ll be free
    Just like that bluebird
    Now ain’t that just like me.

The final act of “Lazarus” ends with Bowie backing himself into an armoire and closing himself shut in it. Is he hiding? Burying himself alive? Dying?
    You’re free, David Bowie, back to outer space from whence you came. And we’re left here to wonder.

just watched part of that video..... touching it is

RIP

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,182
    RIP - I never listened to your music before.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,586
    I saw him just once, back in '96..one of the greatest preformer i have ever see..RIP SIR..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Man, I'm gutted. VH1 Classics was really promoting his new album this weekend. They aired a couple of hours of Bowie videos including the new one for Lazarus (which in retrospect is pretty haunting). I loved Bowie and his various personas. I was looking forward to seeing if he'd tour in support of Blackstar, and had no idea he was even sick.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    jeffbr said:

Man, I'm gutted. VH1 Classics was really promoting his new album this weekend. They aired a couple of hours of Bowie videos including the new one for Lazarus (which in retrospect is pretty haunting). I loved Bowie and his various personas. I was looking forward to seeing if he'd tour in support of Blackstar, and had no idea he was even sick.

He announced he was retiring from touring recently. This could have been a hint and that thought of him maybe being near death did cross my mind then.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792

jeffbr said:

He announced he was retiring from touring recently. This could have been a hint and that thought of him maybe being near death did cross my mind then.
    My brother saw Bowie around the time of Ziggy Stardust and still tells of how epic that show was. Wish I'd seen him back then or any time. Hard to believe I never saw him. Harder to believe he's gone now.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    The only reason I know this guys name is because Kurt Cobain said it was a David Bowie Song before he broke out into the rendition of The Man Who Sold The World during Nirvana Unplugged.
    Other than that I have no idea who this guy is.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited January 2016

The only reason I know this guys name is because Kurt Cobain said it was a David Bowie Song before he broke out into the rendition of The Man Who Sold The World during Nirvana Unplugged.
    Other than that I have no idea who this guy is.

Is this under the guise of sarcasm?

Kind of rude but not surprising.

It's been a tough day for some. For many.

*edit - show some fucking respect.
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • Options
    No it's true.
    I have no idea of this guys music.
    If anything the disrespect shown is a false picture of him?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    I had no idea Saskatchewan was so remote.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

No it's true.
    I have no idea of this guys music.
    If anything the disrespect shown is a false picture of him?

As applies to the un-related last sentence - people fuck up, no? - I tend to put sentiment above image. It'll be fixed. I'm sure the folks on that site weren't trying to be assholes...

And really, you know of NO Bowie songs? Fine. Unusual but I'll buy into that. Still no reason to be discourteous.

• Options

I had no idea Saskatchewan was so remote.

Pearl Jam - Play Regina!
  • Options
    I must censor myself except to say, respect and love for Bowie. Long live the memory of one of the greatest.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

I must censor myself except to say, respect and love for Bowie. Long live the memory of one of the greatest.

Yes.

And Mods - should the need to review arise - would be pretty fucking sad in this circumstance actually - please take into account....well, what, or who, should be taken into account.

Or not.

Who knows?

Not me.

(or as my grammar-nazi would say - "not I")

Gonna crank up some Ziggy!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,483
    very sad day. Haven't been hit this hard since Robin Williams. But love all of the outpouring of love. Even to this second on my social media wall for David.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Someone posted this on FB today and although it's not a Bowie song, he's singing and I thought it was perfect. (Actually it's interesting how many "perfect" tributes people have posted today - there are so many Bowie songs that mean so much to so many people.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0Pl80Zf00
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Yes.

And Mods - should the need to review arise - would be pretty fucking sad in this circumstance actually - please take into account....well, what, or who, should be taken into account.

Or not.

Who knows?

Not me.

(or as my grammar-nazi would say - "not I")

Gonna crank up some Ziggy!

:hug:
    brianlux said:

NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Enkidu said:

Someone posted this on FB today and although it's not a Bowie song, he's singing and I thought it was perfect. (Actually it's interesting how many "perfect" tributes people have posted today - there are so many Bowie songs that mean so much to so many people.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0Pl80Zf00

this is lovely
    thanks for posting
    i watched the whole
    video..
    love them both
    both of them
    unique so original
    and alway stay
    classics..
  • Options
    Oh such beauty there, E. Thank you!

Scooting my ass to bed on that lovely note.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,037
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

This is getting silly.
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

This is getting silly.
    why? people are paying tribute to a musical icon. show some respect.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

This is getting silly.
    It is hard to take anything seriously when you have a wrassler dressed as music icon.
    Look, I have no doubt this bowie guy made good music during his time but that doesn't mean the PJ forum should be subdued because of his demise.
    PJ is eroding.
  • Options
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

RKCNDY said:

This is getting silly.
    It is hard to take anything seriously when you have a wrassler dressed as music icon.
    Look, I have no doubt this bowie guy made good music during his time but that doesn't mean the PJ forum should be subdued because of his demise.
    PJ is eroding.
    subdued? really? this is not the porch, the entire forum doesn't have to be all about PJ, if you want to tell everybody how you feel about 'this bowie guy' go post your opinions on the porch...the thread over there has much more traffic.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

RKCNDY said:

This is getting silly.
    PJ is eroding.
    there were like 3 pages of condolences to the guy from one of those MTV jackass type shows who died from a drunk driving accident. This is the least we could do to a man who influenced and brought joy to many with his music.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996

RKCNDY said:

This is getting silly.
    PJ is eroding.
    So stop posting in this thread. You say you never heard of Bowie and don't know any of his songs. Fine. Find another thread to post in.

Please don't get this thread locked. This thread should remain for people who want to celebrate the life of David Bowie.
  • Options
    Sending out love to all my fellow Bowie fans.

(All else is ignored here.)

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
    (Part of a celebration of a life that inspires and has meaning to many. Anyone who wants to make a donation to the fight against cancer, this might be a good time. :)

Church Bells Ring Out 'Space Oddity' In Spine-Tingling David Bowie Tribute
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/david-bowie-tribute-church-bells_5694e550e4b086bc1cd5189a

Falling down,...not staying down