Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    First day of summer slimdown has been rough.
    I should have had a light lunch to ease back into it but I felt like I needed a fast to get started on the right foot and not allow any room for waffling.  Or waffles.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    I've been on holiday for over 2 weeks and slowly finding my way back to eating healthy. But the thought of getting back to exercising.. uarg! 
    Thankfully I didn't gain as much as I feared though, only 1kg. But since I did no strength training while I was away I feel like I lost some muscle and gained fat.
    I have to get back into calorie counting.. that is the only thing that seems to motivate me. What motivates you guys to keep going?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Ooooo. Waffles.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    I've been on holiday for over 2 weeks and slowly finding my way back to eating healthy. But the thought of getting back to exercising.. uarg! 
    Thankfully I didn't gain as much as I feared though, only 1kg. But since I did no strength training while I was away I feel like I lost some muscle and gained fat.
    I have to get back into calorie counting.. that is the only thing that seems to motivate me. What motivates you guys to keep going?
    Pure fucking grit and nothing else lol
    Really, you have to find motivation wherever you can at any given moment and pounce on it.
  • Options
    I agree with gambs. You have to want it. I'm not trying nearly as hard physically as the others here but I'm way behind on the nutrition. I'm learning to be healthy sort of first then exersice. I have weight to lose. Appears the orhers are beefin up :wink::smiley:   I decided I was going to get healthy for my kids and guess what I'm meeting one of my goals in a way. I signed my 4 year old up for wee ball and turns out they need coaches. Guess who's coaching!! ME!! Couldn't be happier. I feel strong and fit to keep up. Not like they can out run me but I don't know it feels pretty damn special!!

I'm down 27lbs and would like to go another 16 yet. We'll find out if I'm happy when I get there lol. 
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I agree with gambs. You have to want it. I'm not trying nearly as hard physically as the others here but I'm way behind on the nutrition. I'm learning to be healthy sort of first then exersice. I have weight to lose. Appears the orhers are beefin up :wink::smiley:   I decided I was going to get healthy for my kids and guess what I'm meeting one of my goals in a way. I signed my 4 year old up for wee ball and turns out they need coaches. Guess who's coaching!! ME!! Couldn't be happier. I feel strong and fit to keep up. Not like they can out run me but I don't know it feels pretty damn special!!

I'm down 27lbs and would like to go another 16 yet. We'll find out if I'm happy when I get there lol. 
    Wow 27lbs. That is amazing. I am a little jealous to be honest. I hope to get there one day.
    I think we are in a similar boat. Healthy eating is one thing I am working on, too. And it's going okay, I have changed my diet quite a bit and I am drinking a lot more water. But the exercise... it's just not happening. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254

Well, there are a number of things keeping me going.

1) chronic illness -- nothing like finding yourself unable to walk across the room without getting dizzy at 38 to make you miss being active
    2) a very, very appreciative spouse ;-)
    3) proving my parents wrong -- when I was thirteen or so, they assured me that I was going to be obese (even though I've never been overweight)
    4) being around people who are 20-30 years older than I am and thinking about what it means to age well
    5) actually feeling good about myself, something that took me a long time to achieve
    6) exercise is the most effective tool I've found for managing anxiety and depression, and, as the t-shirts say, "I work out because punching people is frowned upon."
    7) I look damn good in just about anything -- that motivates me to keep at it!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Joined a gym last week.
    Started doing more home workouts too.  Doing these Grokker videos.  High intensity lower body.  My ass and quads are burning from all the damn squats the gal Sarah Kusch has me doing.

I'm sweating and tired after 20 min.  I love her...

Still no bread in the diet.  Doing well with that.

Get at it @rgambs !!! 
  • Options

Well, there are a number of things keeping me going.

1) chronic illness -- nothing like finding yourself unable to walk across the room without getting dizzy at 38 to make you miss being active
    2) a very, very appreciative spouse ;-)
    3) proving my parents wrong -- when I was thirteen or so, they assured me that I was going to be obese (even though I've never been overweight)
    4) being around people who are 20-30 years older than I am and thinking about what it means to age well
    5) actually feeling good about myself, something that took me a long time to achieve
    6) exercise is the most effective tool I've found for managing anxiety and depression, and, as the t-shirts say, "I work out because punching people is frowned upon."
    7) I look damn good in just about anything -- that motivates me to keep at it!

Amen to this.  
  • Options
    Joined a gym last week.
    Started doing more home workouts too.  Doing these Grokker videos.  High intensity lower body.  My ass and quads are burning from all the damn squats the gal Sarah Kusch has me doing.

Get at it @rgambs !!! 
    Struggling today, I had a pack of fruit snacks, a popsicle, and a hunk of chocolate already :blush:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    rgambs said:
    Joined a gym last week.

Get at it @rgambs !!! 
    Struggling today, I had a pack of fruit snacks, a popsicle, and a hunk of chocolate already :blush:
    All of those compliments went to your head, huh? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    :rofl:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Why did I think it was a good idea to run and do legs on the same day?  My god I am sore!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Why did I think it was a good idea to run and do legs on the same day?  My god I am sore!

Hmm. I guess how you handle this depends on whether your priority is running or lifting.
    I've found that lifting legs immediately after running is just about impossible. I tried and nearly fell over sideways doing squats.
    So I run in the morning and lift mid-day.
    I often do a brisk walk after lifting, or if I'm feeling particularly well-rested I will run a few (three?) slow miles.
    The really tough runs come the morning after leg day. Those are brutal --- and, last week, when the lifts were three sets of 15, I couldn't run at all the next day. That was the first time in quite a while that my legs were really sore.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I hate exercise so if I win the lottery I will hire a drill sergeant type personal trainer who will take no shit from me and beat me into submission and force me to get in shape.    That's probably the only way I'd get to where I'd like to be.  Besides, I'm 66 going on 67 and still working.  Who has time or energy for working out?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Well, I read an article about exercise a few weeks ago -- I might even have shared it up-thread -- in which one of the researchers said we should think about exercise as we think about brushing our teeth. That is, as a basic part of taking care of oneself.
    So not everyone has as much time as I have to dedicate to exercise, true. But we're all getting older all the time, and for me it's a question of how do I want to age, and would I like to have a bit of control over the process?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539

Weighed 200lbs on the scale new year's eve and got to my low for this year today of 170! 

Little to no exercise, 1500 calories a day at most, and long stressful days at the office 7 days a week.  The weight less has helped a ton on my mood during busy season at work.    I now hope to start exercising and build more muscle. 

• Options

Weighed 200lbs on the scale new year's eve and got to my low for this year today of 170! 

Little to no exercise, 1500 calories a day at most, and long stressful days at the office 7 days a week.  The weight less has helped a ton on my mood during busy season at work.    I now hope to start exercising and build more muscle. 

Good job on losing weight.  Not so much with the long stressful hours...
  • Options
    Yesterday was core day.  

Welcome to the world of "planking"!

Ran/fast walk for 20 min on the treadmill too.

Go me.

Today its upper body and some gratuitous arm curls to boot.
  • Options
    I ate pizza for dinner yesterday because the kitchen was too busy to use.  :s 
    My lesson from that is to make more at lunch time when everyone is out, so I have food for later. Meal prep seems to be the way to go! 
    And I am trying to treat exercise like curmudgeoness said. A regular part of my day - just like brushing teeth and so I have been exercising three days in a row now. Whoop whoop! 
  • Options
    You get to a certain point where working out is fun.  I enjoy it.
    Is there such a thing as getting to a point where not eating pizza and cake is fun?
    No way.
  • Options
    My tastes have changed. Many meals or this or that I find I don't like anymore. I always enjoy my fresh lunches. But my dinner is killin my progress. As well as chocolate covered peanuts. But I'm keeping the weight off so that's exciting in itself. I can be taught!!
  • Options
    So things have been going well, my diet isn't strict enough to shed pounds quickly, but I'm ticking downward steadily at a rate that should preserve some hard-won muscle.
    March was a leg focus month, I hit 9 leg days for the month even though I took a week's vacation.  I have been sore practically all month and I've seen a 4 rep increase on the top weight that I squat.  I only averaged about 10 miles a week running, but i did enough that I haven't lost any conditioning.  
    I don't have a focus for April but I've been hitting 4 or 5 miles a day instead of 2 or 3 and watching my diet and trying to lift as intensely as I can.
    In May I am going to set a big goal for pull-ups, not sure what yet.

Keep up the good work fokkf.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    So things have been going well, my diet isn't strict enough to shed pounds quickly, but I'm ticking downward steadily at a rate that should preserve some hard-won muscle.
    March was a leg focus month, I hit 9 leg days for the month even though I took a week's vacation.  I have been sore practically all month and I've seen a 4 rep increase on the top weight that I squat.  I only averaged about 10 miles a week running, but i did enough that I haven't lost any conditioning.  
    I don't have a focus for April but I've been hitting 4 or 5 miles a day instead of 2 or 3 and watching my diet and trying to lift as intensely as I can.
    In May I am going to set a big goal for pull-ups, not sure what yet.

Keep up the good work fokkf.
    Nice Gambs!
  • Options
    So I've been to the gym regularly now for 2-1/2 weeks.  Ran into a buddy of mine whom I haven't seen in a bit and we gave each other a hug.  He replied to me "you fell like a rock!"

So yeah.  It's working. 

Go me.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    My tastes have changed. Many meals or this or that I find I don't like anymore. I always enjoy my fresh lunches. But my dinner is killin my progress. As well as chocolate covered peanuts. But I'm keeping the weight off so that's exciting in itself. I can be taught!!
    I opted for the salad today again for lunch which is good considering I ate a second helping of Cadbury creme eggs last night...

More squats today for my misbehavior last night...
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    This is an awesome thread
  • Options
    Weight cutting isn't going well, but workouts have been great and I look and feel better than ever.
    Today is 15 straight, Im definitely due for a rest day this weekend.  It's finally starting to tentatively resemble spring so it's the to bust out the backpack on the stairmill and get some funky side-eyes from the people who weren't working out on the morning crew last year.
  • Options
    I looked at the calendar, today was actually 18th straight workout day and 4am wake-up and I was actually on fucking fire!  2.5 miles in 18 minutes to start and then 1.5 hours of back and bicep work, ALL done in supersets and dropsets.  6 sets of pull-ups/barbell row, 6 sets of pulldowns/horizontal cable rows, 6 sets of rope cable curls/lat pulldowns, and 6 biceps dropsets in various manners... hammer, reverse, incline, and drag included.
    Tomorrow I'm going to sleep in and feel awesome!  
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106
    I've been on my normal training schedule since my last post, but I feel that I haven't had any good workouts the last couple of weeks. Just kind of half-heartedly slogging my way through them. I suspect that it's because I haven't been sleeping well/enough lately. Could be that the last doctor appt I had my thyroid was off (with my family history it was only a matter of time) and it's taking me longer than I thought to adjust to the medicine. Or better yet, could be the combination or cause and effect thing going on. It's kind of disheartening because I was making some good strength gains earlier.