Options

Bu$hleaguer at Arnhem

sliverstainsliverstain Posts: 340
edited August 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Bu$hleaguer was played in Arnhem. Fucking A. About time!

The not (barely) playing of this song since those cocks booed it in the states is, for me, the only gripe ive ever had with the band. They should have been playing it every godamned night since those so called "fans", a small minority i know, booed and jeered it back in 03. Fuck them, and fuck anybody who doesn't like the songs message.

Also lays to ground my plan of making a Bu$hleaguer sign for the Italia shows!
The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483

The not (barely) playing of this song since those cocks booed it in the states is, for me, the only gripe ive ever had with the band. They should have been playing it every godamned night since those so called "fans", a small minority i know, booed and jeered it back in 03. Fuck them, and fuck anybody who doesn't like the songs message.

I know what you mean man. Indeed fuck those who bood them for playing that song. If you don't like it for it's message then what the f*** are you doing listening to Pearl jam anyway.

I think you can't vote Bush and vote Eddie at the same time.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    andychandych Posts: 130
    thats always suprised me.
    was it that tour that a large section of the crowd walked out during that song?
    pearl jams message and vibe hardly go hand in hand with ultra right wing conservatism.
    dead head

Bern 13/9/06
  • Options

You are so right....and i think Ed made that extra clear when he spit a really big one right ontoo the mask last night....
  • Options
    wendy1976 wrote:
    You are so right....and i think Ed made that extra clear when he spit a really big one right ontoo the mask....

Yes and he got the love from the audience to go with it.:D
  • Options
    I wonder who has that mask....i thought i saw him field kicking it??I think that is a big collectors item!!!!
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    wendy1976 wrote:
    I wonder who has that mask....i thought i saw him field kicking it??I think that is a big collectors item!!!!
    A girl from a german pj board catched it. And a guy from there got ed's tambourine.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    Wasn't Stian getting another Tambourine was it?

And yeah, I can't see, unless you're a part time "Ten" only fan, how you can be for Bush and War and Capitalism, and still be into PJ as a whole. It baffles me.
    The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
  • Options
    This is a "bathroom" song for me. Every time it comes on (live or on CD) I take that opportunity to get up and go to the bathroom.

Even though I agree with the sentiments of the song 100%, I find it preachy, obvious, pretentious and cringe-inducing. Ed lyrics are usually much more subtle and well-crafted.

IMHO.
  • Options
    jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    They soundchecked it a few times in St Paul, so I knew they'd break it out again.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • Options
    AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109
    Wasn't Stian getting another Tambourine was it?

And yeah, I can't see, unless you're a part time "Ten" only fan, how you can be for Bush and War and Capitalism, and still be into PJ as a whole. It baffles me.
    OMG OMG OMG!!! PJ has done a few "liberal, anti war" songs so all conservatives should stop listening!

certainly no one could be at the concerts to listen to the million other songs they sing that aren't political...or at least some that are and can be interpreted in different ways.

I'm sure Eddie still listens to The Ramones regardless of John Cummings' personal political views.

I'm not trying to talk politics, but seriously people, this whole "conservatives cannot listen to PJ" crapwagon is ridiculous.

"God bless President Bush, and God bless America" - Johnny Ramone

shove that one in your tailpipe!
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    jambayleaf wrote:
    They soundchecked it a few times in St Paul, so I knew they'd break it out again.
    They played in Denver this year (first night).....at the scene of the crime so to speak. Ed behaved himself though. LOL!
  • Options
    Abneriel wrote:
    OMG OMG OMG!!! PJ has done a few "liberal, anti war" songs so all conservatives should stop listening!

certainly no one could be at the concerts to listen to the million other songs they sing that aren't political...or at least some that are and can be interpreted in different ways.

I'm sure Eddie still listens to The Ramones regardless of John Cummings' personal political views.

I'm not trying to talk politics, but seriously people, this whole "conservatives cannot listen to PJ" crapwagon is ridiculous.

Well it isn't in just a few songs, it is in Pearl jam. I guess you have people that aren't that picky. I would dismiss a band that preaches war. I have a high standard that friends, family and everything else have to meet.
    I guess that if you bless a man that is will to kill a band leader that isn't wouldn't bother you that much. Still it is a bit hypocritical. No matter I just can't see you doing anything other than disagree that it is so.

And as far as Bush goes, Even Jesus would never forgive what you do.
  • Options
    well said.
  • Options

I glad you feel you (and Dylan) can speak for Jesus.
  • Options
    yeah, we're pretty tight.
  • Options
    The not (barely) playing of this song since those cocks booed it in the states is, for me, the only gripe ive ever had with the band.

In San Francisco Night 1 - trust me no one booed the song....in fact most of the crowd sang along....
    Up the West Coast in 2006 and Hawaii++Santa Barbara, San Fran x 3, Portland, Gorge x2
    Chicago and Down the Coast in 2003
    Seattle 2005
    SF 2000, 2001, 2003--- oh or you can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    In San Francisco Night 1 - trust me no one booed the song....in fact most of the crowd sang along....
    Yeah... but, remember... San Francisco is not really part of America. It's San Francisco.
    P.S. The greatest shows I went to this tour were the 3 shows in San Francisco. I love that city.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109
    Well it isn't in just a few songs, it is in Pearl jam. I guess you have people that aren't that picky. I would dismiss a band that preaches war. I have a high standard that friends, family and everything else have to meet.
    I guess that if you bless a man that is will to kill a band leader that isn't wouldn't bother you that much. Still it is a bit hypocritical. No matter I just can't see you doing anything other than disagree that it is so.

fair enough...I guess people are just different

I don't worship (and I use worship lightly, not implying that you DO worship) either (PJ or Bush), but I have a love for the music that they produce that far outweighs the love I have for any other band.
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Options
    I think a lot of people out there are missing this big time. Eddie is all about thinking for yourself. You can always hear him talking about htis on the bootlegs and concerts and interviews. If you educate yourself on everything that is happening and you still support bush then thats fine.

He is just the leader of a band, just because he feels a certain way doesnt mean you have to as well in order to understad, or appreicated the music.
    "Pussies no more"
    "Johnny we miss, Pete your still the greatest"
  • Options
    Abneriel wrote:
    fair enough...I guess people are just different

I don't worship (and I use worship lightly, not implying that you DO worship) either (PJ or Bush), but I have a love for the music that they produce that far outweighs the love I have for any other band.

Well at least that's something.:D;)

For me Pearl jam is more about the message and the emotion than purely about the music. It are songs with lyrics that grab me. If it is just for the music I have bands that are better, but Pearl jam gives me power through the words and those words could not have that effect if they said it was OK to fight a war. Anyway you don't need me understanding it to enjoy the music, so you keep enjoying it and I'll keep being amazed by the contrast. ;)
  • Options

It is poetry, you either get the message or you don't. Anyway that was not the point was it?
  • Options
    I think a lot of people out there are missing this big time. Eddie is all about thinking for yourself. You can always hear him talking about htis on the bootlegs and concerts and interviews. If you educate yourself on everything that is happening and you still support bush then thats fine.

He is just the leader of a band, just because he feels a certain way doesnt mean you have to as well in order to understad, or appreicated the music.

Well you don't have to agree on everything he says. But I do find it weird that on something major as this you could differ. I am not saying you should have Eddie's views. I just think it is weird that you could (to state it dramatically) listen to a priest when you in fact are a Muslim.
  • Options
    I know what you mean man. Indeed fuck those who bood them for playing that song. If you don't like it for it's message then what the f*** are you doing listening to Pearl jam anyway.

You're completely wrong. We're not an f-ing poilitical party ... we're rock and roll fans. Frankly, I'm gonna keep following this band as I have for 15 years because they are a great band. But there isn't a political tie-in or freaking lefty litmus test to be a fan. I don't like the song, but it has nothing to do with the message - PJ plays plenty of good songs with a political message. This just isn't one of them. It's trite, pretentious, and the lyrics sound right out of the notebook of an angst ridden college student. Ed can do better ... and has done better hundreds of times. Those of you who want to pump your fists and cheer it, go for it. Those who want to boo ... they can do what they like. Being a PJ fan doesn't mean goosestepping to the anti-American party line. I'm pretty damn sure Ed doesn't exclude those fans who disagree with him politically - pretty evident by his frequent references to his dear friend Johnny Ramone who is pretty damn conservative and would no doubt have drawn the ire of the poster here.

Get over yourself. If you love the song, all the power to you. And I say the same to those who want to boo it. That's what America is about. That's what rock and roll is about - free spirited independence. And if you really think someone is less a fan in Ed's eyes or anyone else's because they don't take their political cues from rock bands, then you are an aneathma to the very freedom and tolerance you likely claim to defend.
  • Options
    Nakedeye66 wrote:
    If you love the song, all the power to you. And I say the same to those who want to boo it. That's what America is about.
    It is. That's what makes us great, us as individuals who think and feel differently. I don't agree with most of the decisions our government is making, but I as an individual have the power to change that. Just like the people who agree with the decisions have the power to continue that trend. It's called the right to vote, the youth vote, the non-corporate vote, and that's something that Ed has been advocating for a long time! No matter what political party, religious faction, beliefs and values you might have.

Bu$hleaguer is a song that Ed feels strongly about, after all, he wrote it. You have the FREEDOM to view it the same way or not. It's up to you, but i won't tell anyone they wrong for saying it.

And lastly, and this is my opinion, that there's discussion going on here that doesn't belong in the Given to Fly forum, more for the Moving Train forum. I think if there is any more discussion, it should be done there.

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130

hated it. i thought it was hypocritical to play it in the liberal holland, easy trick, and not play it in the USA anymore..
    I change by not changing at all.
  • Options
    Riot_RainRiot_Rain Posts: 348
    On a lighter note:

One of the Dutch reviewers (from De Gelderlander newspaper) thought it wasn't very obvious that the mask represented Bush. WHAT AN IDIOT! Ah well, proved he didn't know any Pearl Jam songs, as the fact that the song is called Bu$hleager is a definite hint ;)

Review was crap anyway. According to that same journalist PJ haven't done anything decent since Ten and the band was only saved by Eddie's voice in Arnhem *sigh*
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    Abneriel wrote:

conservatives can listen, no doubt, but not booo the song... if you go to the theatre and you see something liberal, do you booo? Keep on voting in what you prefer, but not boo the band, even if you booo you won't stop them keeping their ideas
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    daanarts wrote:
    hated it. i thought it was hypocritical to play it in the liberal holland, easy trick, and not play it in the USA anymore..
    enjoy the songs and less mental masturbation...
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    daanartsdaanarts Posts: 130
    Puck78 wrote:
    enjoy the songs and less mental masturbation...
    come again? i hope u mean Ed-himself. if he vents his opinion fine. i dont have to like it...read this its easy-- Love pearl jam music-- dont like his opinion in my face...
    I change by not changing at all.
  • Options
    BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    The band must feel so relieved that they're in Europe and far away from the "fans" who boo them for speaking out against the criminal that cheated and swindled his way into office twice and has spent the last 6 years systematically ruining this country and its standing in the world with his incompetence, greed, and arrogance.

I'm so sick of the booing of this song, especially with the things that have happened in the 3 years since they debuted it, ie, Iraq getting even worse, HURRICANE KATRINA, gas prices driving the economy into the toilet... but why should people pay attention to stuff like that? Keep booing Eddie Vedder, he's obviously the problem.

(EDITED to take out impolite language ;))
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain