Options

The Gun Thread

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    @dudeman  I ve had this one for a few years and love it. very similar to yours.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Nice! I can't wait to take mine to the range. The Ruger 10/22 is a classic and for good reason. 

Yours looks clean!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    @dudeman  I ve had this one for a few years and love it. very similar to yours.  
    I applaud the lock.
  • Options
    Anyone into long range, precision competition? 

Thinking about setting up a bolt action for distance and looking into optics. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    I am more into long range grenade tossing competitions. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Pineapples or potato mashers?
  • Options
    dudeman said:

Thinking about setting up a bolt action for distance and looking into optics. Any recommendations?
    How long range are we talking?  Over 500 yds?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

Yes. 650-1000. I've had an interest in long range precision shooting for a long time but never really had the opportunity to build the appropriate rifle. 

Since I have a little extra time on my hands now, I have started to research equipment. 

This will be very much a budget build and there is no way I'm dropping the coin on a Nightforce for the first attempt. 
  • Options
    No clue bud. Furtherst I ever shot was 300 yards with a Remington model 700 chambered in 300 win Mag.  We don’t have open spaces like that in nj and ny.  @PJPOWER any ideas?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    No clue bud. Furtherst I ever shot was 300 yards with a Remington model 700 chambered in 300 win Mag.  We don’t have open spaces like that in nj and ny.  @PJPOWER any ideas?
    I like Vortex optics personally.  Great glass that isn’t crazy expensive.  I rarely go for those ranges either, though.

• Options
    @dudeman
    what state do you live in?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like Vortex optics personally.  Great glass that isn’t crazy expensive.  I rarely go for those ranges either, though.

Thanks man. I've been narrowing it down and Vortex or Bushnell are the ones I keep coming back to. 

Bushnell Elite has been good to me in the past. Vortex has a good balance of quality and value. I really need to see a few examples in person but that won't be happening in the near future. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    @dudeman
    what state do you live in?
    Right now, Michigan. Back and forth between here, Florida and Texas. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Just comply with police right?  why is he resisting and why wasn't he tasered and beaten?

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    dudeman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

Yes. 650-1000. I've had an interest in long range precision shooting for a long time but never really had the opportunity to build the appropriate rifle. 

Since I have a little extra time on my hands now, I have started to research equipment. 

This will be very much a budget build and there is no way I'm dropping the coin on a Nightforce for the first attempt. 
    You might have to bump up to a 50 cal for that.  That's a lot of range and any long distance shooting I have seen the guys used one of those.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Just comply with police right?  why is he resisting and why wasn't he tasered and beaten?

This isn't the thread for that question but I would guess because there is cameras everywhere?
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    dudeman said:
    No problem.  It is amazing how many calibers are out there, I haven’t shot many of those mentioned in the article.  I am a 30.06 guy.  

• Options
    dudeman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

You might have to bump up to a 50 cal for that.  That's a lot of range and any long distance shooting I have seen the guys used one of those.
    As much as I would like to shoot a big 50, owning one would be a different story. I think I would go broke due to ammo costs alone.

The 308 Winchester is definitely capable of punching paper and ringing steel at 1,000 yards, but not appropriate for hunting at that range by any means.

6.5 Creedmoor would be my pick for long range target shooting. 338 Lapua Magnum for long range hunting. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dudeman said:

As much as I would like to shoot a big 50, owning one would be a different story. I think I would go broke due to ammo costs alone.

The 308 Winchester is definitely capable of punching paper and ringing steel at 1,000 yards, but not appropriate for hunting at that range by any means.

6.5 Creedmoor would be my pick for long range target shooting. 338 Lapua Magnum for long range hunting. 
    Hunting is a different story!  There wouldn't be anything left if you used a 50 cal, lol!

That being said the Weatherby 300 should be good wi some better ammo in it for long distance hunting.
  • Options
    How much does a single 50 cal bullet go for?! $5?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    How much does a single 50 cal bullet go for?! $5?
    I haven't looked in awhile. Out of curiosity I had checked what it would cost to get set up for hand loading the 50 BMG. Just the carbide sizing die was over $800.00.

Too rich for my blood. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Smellyman said:

This isn't the thread for that question but I would guess because there is cameras everywhere?

Shit, is this the stroke my gun thread?  my bad
  • Options
    Ended up buying a Bushnell Forge rifle scope. I have a few Bushnell Elite scopes and they have been fantastic. They punch well above their weight class. Hoping for a similar experience with the Forge.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Ended up buying a Bushnell Forge rifle scope. I have a few Bushnell Elite scopes and they have been fantastic. They punch well above their weight class. Hoping for a similar experience with the Forge.
    Niiice!