Options

*** Mexico City, Mexico Fanviews Here 11/28/15 ***

Comments

• Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    ten474 said:

I agree man. It was NUTS. I've never seen so many people get pulled over the rail. It was a constant stream. At many points I felt like
    I was gonna be crushed to death. At one point it was so hard to breath I thought for sure eddie was gonna notice and do something. But the band played on.

scary
    thats why i could never do ga im little short and tubby id get squashed lol
  • Options
    ten474ten474 Los Angeles Posts: 147
    There were some very tiny girls in front of me right on the rail who did fine. I kinda feel like th smaller you are the easier it is for you to slide through.
    2000: Los Angeles, San Bernardino
    2003: Irvine, Las Vegas, Santa Barbara
    2006: Los Angeles N1 & N2
    2011: Mexico City
    2013: Wrigley Field, Los Angeles N1 & N2
    2014: Austin City Limits Weekend 1
    2015: Mexico City
    2016: Fenway N1 & N2
    2018: Seattle N1 & N2, Missoula, Boston N1 & N2
    2021: Ohana I, Ohana II
    2022: San Diego, LA N1 & N2, Oakland N1 & N2, Fresno
    2023: St. Paul N1 & N2

• Options
    My brother and I were there. Foro Sol was 60,000 strong that night. The passion of the crowd was insane. The amount of singing and crying by women and men was a breath of fresh air. 10 songs in the crowd had settled. That's how GA shows go where the fans can still be fans. Space and safety are for the US shows with chairs in the GA section. To each their own, but what I felt that night was a community coming together around a shared passion, in a foreign country to some and a native country to many. As Mexicans we were proud to share in the festivities of the night and glad that although it did get rough no major incidents have been reported. That was gig #36 for me. Beautiful.

We're faithful, we all believe, we all believe it...
  • Options
    BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    Just sitting here in the Mexico City airport drinking a beer and waiting since my flight was cancelled. First off, if anyone has ever had any doubts about traveling to Mexico City, you need to disregard them and experience all this great city has to offer. I walked miles, rode the train, was out late etc, never once did I feel threatened or as though I was in any danger. Like all big cities there are bad parts to avoid but common sense will get you through. This was my 15 th show and although the # may not be high I was at 2005 Gorge, 20th row night 1-4th row night 2 at PJ20, and 12th row at Toledo 2004 with Niel and Peter so I feel as though I'm somewhat experienced in all that is Pearl Jam. That being said this was my first time seeing the boys out of the country and it was an experience like no other. The show was great (arrived hr before show and was 20-30 rows back) but there was a totally different feel as opposed to US shows. I'm guessing it's mostly because shows happen only every 4/5 years, I realize that may be the case for most cities in the states but we can travel a bit to see them every year. I went to Cincinnati, Detroit, and St Louis last year and this show blew them away hands down. If I had to bet I'd assume most foreign shows are like this, so if you have the means and the time make it happen folks. An all encompassing experience to say the least.

• Options
    odiedragonodiedragon Arena, WI Posts: 206
    edited November 2015
    ten474 said:

The security on Stone's side were actually very helpful getting people out and getting people water who needed it. I feel like if you weren't within 5 people of the rail you had a very different experience.

Yeah, I can attest to this. Had to leave about halfway through the first set. We were maybe 8-10 people in? There was no getting help of any kind. We had to push our way to the back over several songs. I'm bummed about it, because we waited in the first GA pen for hours to get that spot, but there's no way my old fat body could have survived that. Having no desire to meet the Love Boat Captain anytime soon, when it got to be too much my friend and I got the hell outta there. Security was very helpful. My apologies to those who had to help get me over the rail, except for that one "You have GOT to be kidding me!" person. Seriously. Don't be an asshole. I don't care what you think of me, but maybe think about biting your tongue next time?

Gotta say though, once I bought three bottles of water (the vendor clearly thought I was nuts as I finished one off before he even poured the third one) and found a more open spot on Stone's side, it was a much more enjoyable show. Hell, there was even a legit mosh pit right next to me at the end, but there was no pressure to join, people were given space to do their thing but didn't bother others, and when people fell at least three or four people immediately helped them get back up. That kind of thing, I can enjoy.

The bootleg tents were crazy insane. I only was able to browse them in the early afternoon before everything was set up, but damn. It was an insane overload of Stuff. This was the weirdest thing I found - A stuffed pillow bottle of "Pearl Jam Grunge Whiskey" Only 150 pesos! (No, I didn't buy it.)

As for official merch, we had our own GA line pop-up shop! It was chaotic but nice to at least have a chance to buy things before everything sold out. Would be nice if they offered at least one style of t-shirt in sizes bigger than XL however. :/ I get that it wouldn't be financially feasible to offer all styles in larger sizes... but one or two maybe? Especially when I can easily buy 3XL from the Ten Club? Ah well. I got myself and some friends some stickers, and I'm content with that.

As for the show itself:
    There appeared to be technical difficulties with one of the speakers at the front of the stage, which delayed the show. Last minute repairs and sound testing went on for about 45 minutes. BUT one of the things they tested was the intro to You Are, so we knew we were in for a treat. :smiley:
    Pendulum into Release is INTENSE, man. Woah. What a way to start things off. Imagine into Comfortablely Numb was a very close second in intensity.
    Ed's ukelele is named Clarence. I thought that was adorable. (He didn't say this, it was printed on the uke itself. Saw it on screen.)
    The girl who had Faithful sang to her was one of the pre-party organizers. I don't know her well, but my friend does. It was amazing to know she got something that special. :heart:
    As with most things, the key change for Sirens sounds way better live. I actually like it now.
    ESTA BIEN! (this was while I was getting water and trying not to die, so I didn't enjoy it like I could have, but I was very glad it happened)
    I think Animal is my new favorite live song. Until I find another one, that is. ;)
    Am I wrong or was Ed moved to tears when we sang the outro for Black? It looked like it on the screen. It was an amazing moment to be sure. 63,000 people in almost perfect synch.

Anyway, Going back to bed, because I ended up taking today off after all. My travels seem to have brought my cold back with a vengeance, and I sound like I have a chorus of frogs living in my throat. Worth it though. :)

ETA: It's wet and snowy here at home, but at least I brought a little bit of sunshine home with me. :)
    Post edited by odiedragon on
    "So now, I drink wine." - Milwaukee, WI 10/20/14
    "How fortunate were we that we were born in Chicago..." - Rosemont, IL 5/14/15
    "The irony is that maybe someday they'll find exactly that... maybe that's a good thing." - Rosemont, IL 5/15/15
    "[Unthought Known] wasn't the *worst* thing I'd ever done..." Central Park, NYC 9/26/15
    "Cómo se dice 'really high'?" - Mexico City, DF 11/28/15
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    edited November 2015
    Rock on odiedragon! It was an experience, for sure! :)
    Post edited by BizzzyBozzzy on
  • Options
    Hey odiedragon, were you not able to get a spot on the rail being in the first GA pen. Being right on the rail makes huge difference but is still pretty crazy.

• Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Awesome post @odiedragon!
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    ten474 said:

Hey odiedragon, were you not able to get a spot on the rail being in the first GA pen. Being right on the rail makes huge difference but is still pretty crazy.

You must have missed the old and fat part. I suppose we could have moved further out, but we wanted to have the best possible view. Ah well. It was all good in the end.

ETA 2: There wasn't a lot of time to access the situation and pick the best spot before Pen #2 was released. That complicated issues, too.

ETA: If any of you met me at the pre-party, I was the one in the tie dyed Halloween '15 shirt getting people to sign Matt's birthday flag (which security confiscated (though with a claims check so it was retrieved and those organizing the party are going to send it to the 10 Club)) during the latter half of the party before the singalong. So yeah. A passionate fan, but not a petit one. ;)
    Post edited by odiedragon on
    "The irony is that maybe someday they'll find exactly that... maybe that's a good thing." - Rosemont, IL 5/15/15
    "[Unthought Known] wasn't the *worst* thing I'd ever done..." Central Park, NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    I think I remember you. I actually may have helped you over the rail. I don't blame you. I thought about bailing many times. Glad you still had a great show!

• Options
    ten474 said:

I think I remember you. I actually may have helped you over the rail. I don't blame you. I thought about bailing many times. Glad you still had a great show!

I'm kinda hard to miss! :lol: Thanks for the assist. I mean that sincerely. :heart:
  • Options
    I've never written a fan view before, but what an experience! This was my 15th show, and it ranks right up there at the top. I was in the cheap seats section, about halfway up in Stone's side. The fans were enthusiastic, but there was no moshing or anything. A lot of drinking, actually. It was a good vantage point to watch what was going on in the pit. The thing that they did during Daughter, flicking their lighters, was so awesome. I loved hearing Comfortably Numb - I hope they keep playing that in future tours - and Throw Your Arms Around Me.

Mexico City is such a great place. My husband and I were there for three days. We walked all over, went to the pyramids and had some great food. The people are so nice, and they don't hold it against you if you don't know the language. We're going back, although I'm going to learn a little more Spanish first. The only bad thing that happened was a manhole gave way beneath me while walking to Foro Sol before the show, and down I went. My hand and knee swelled up, but I still enjoyed the show. I will admit to leaving a little early (during Jeremy) which I've never done before, but I couldn't face trying to get through the crowds with my limp. So I'll have to buy the boot to hear what I missed.
  • Options
    BizzzyBozzzyBizzzyBozzzy San Diego Posts: 388
    cjminor said:

I've never written a fan view before, but what an experience! This was my 15th show, and it ranks right up there at the top. I was in the cheap seats section, about halfway up in Stone's side. The fans were enthusiastic, but there was no moshing or anything. A lot of drinking, actually. It was a good vantage point to watch what was going on in the pit. The thing that they did during Daughter, flicking their lighters, was so awesome. I loved hearing Comfortably Numb - I hope they keep playing that in future tours - and Throw Your Arms Around Me.

Mexico City is such a great place. My husband and I were there for three days. We walked all over, went to the pyramids and had some great food. The people are so nice, and they don't hold it against you if you don't know the language. We're going back, although I'm going to learn a little more Spanish first. The only bad thing that happened was a manhole gave way beneath me while walking to Foro Sol before the show, and down I went. My hand and knee swelled up, but I still enjoyed the show. I will admit to leaving a little early (during Jeremy) which I've never done before, but I couldn't face trying to get through the crowds with my limp. So I'll have to buy the boot to hear what I missed.

Glad you had a great time down there! Walking around near the venue and the city as a whole, you have to just look down the whole time. There was construction everywhere, and I almost put my foot through the open sidewalk a few times. Dangerous!
  • Options
    TheiaTheia Posts: 145
    edited December 2015
    oldiedragon said:
    Ed's ukelele is named Clarence. I thought that was adorable. (He didn't say this, it was printed on the uke itself. Saw it on screen.)

Clarence is in memory of Clarence Clemons, of the E Street Band, who died in 2011.
    Post edited by Theia on
  • Options
    Theia said:

oldiedragon said:

Clarence is in memory of Clarence Clemons, of the E Street Band, who died in 2011.

Very cool. Thanks!
  • Options
    no_whammysno_whammys amish country Posts: 7
    edited December 2015
    x
    Post edited by no_whammys on
  • Options
    Was I the only one who saw Eddie calling his Ukelele "Euk" Asa baseball reference to Bob Euker? Cause he was also swinging it like a bat as he said it.

• Options
    anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    This was my 28th show but first in a different country ... and it's probably my favorite of 28 shows. I wanted to feel what it's like to be in a crowd in a different country and the Mexico City crowd did not disappoint. The Ole chant after Black was incredible and was exactly the type of atmosphere i was hoping to experience. And the cups being thrown during Rockin was great, too.

I was GA-A and spent the show right in front of the soundboard. It was packed back there but nothing like the pit.

I went solo from Los Angeles. My fourth solo show and I was once again able to meet some great people and have a lot of fun with strangers at the show. I'll never forget this trip and I can't wait for my next one. PJ trips are the best.

Awesome show. Great setlist. Amazing time.

Thanks, Mexico City!

• Options
    maggiemaymaybemaggiemaymaybe Toronto, Ontario Posts: 11

What a show!!!! Man they sure know how to thrown down in Mexico....

...I have a few "I will never miss a show there" and Mexico City is now part of that short list. Until next time...

Great review! The opening and closing sentences especially sum it up for me. Wow.
  • Options
    anez_98 said:

This was my 28th show but first in a different country ... and it's probably my favorite of 28 shows. I wanted to feel what it's like to be in a crowd in a different country and the Mexico City crowd did not disappoint. The Ole chant after Black was incredible and was exactly the type of atmosphere i was hoping to experience. And the cups being thrown during Rockin was great, too.

I was GA-A and spent the show right in front of the soundboard. It was packed back there but nothing like the pit.

I went solo from Los Angeles. My fourth solo show and I was once again able to meet some great people and have a lot of fun with strangers at the show. I'll never forget this trip and I can't wait for my next one. PJ trips are the best.

Thanks, Mexico City!

Hey Anez, im curious, what time did you have to get to the show to get your spot?

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    ten474 said:

anez_98 said:

Thanks, Mexico City!

Hey Anez, im curious, what time did you have to get to the show to get your spot?
    You could have showed up any time for that spot. A ton of traveling fans were back there.
  • Options
    no_whammysno_whammys amish country Posts: 7
    hello all - 1st time i've ever posted here or any pj forum for that matter. i had to get on here to say that mexico city rules & we are already planning a return trip. bogota was very cool but mexico's where it's @ - we barely scraped the surface even though we packed a ton of stuff into our 3 days. we stayed in the zona rosa (room mate valentina) a half block off the reforma & the angel de indepencia - our street was full of clubs & bars (lots of gay bars) & was a full-on party all wkend - when we were getting in our suv on monday morning @ 5:45am for the airport, the 'candybar' across the street was just letting out!! we were on the 8th floor so noise wasn't an issue but that was a great spot - street food & a starbucks right there taboot. mexico city's food scene is out of this world, we ate esamoles in san angel, atole & churros & tacos & quesadillas & tostones & arepas & tamales from street vendors, tostadas in the coyoacan mercado, amazing pastries from a bakery that opened in 1870 near the zocalo & gourmet tapas @ jose andres' new place in polanco - i could srsly go on & on but i won't continue to bore you. uber was the mode of transportation and it was dirt cheap - most we paid was $10 & that was 35 minutes in the car w/ 1.8 surge pricing!! we felt totally comfortable at all times walking in many, many places & rarely did we see another yankee - walked a few blocks from the foro sol, got a cab easily & that was the most expensive ride of the trip (same as airport to hotel - $15). pj did not disappoint in the least & that crowd was nuts as expected!!! unlike any i've witnessed tbh (& i did 4 brazil shows in '05) - i'm over 60 shows & my wife's approaching 50 so our 'experience' paid off: i did the seat selection during 10-club onsale & chose front row bleachers because i just knew that floor was going to be a melee. anyhow, given>you are was a real treat, eodm cover rocked hard & last kiss got my wife all choked up (that would require an even longer post lol) not to mention the crowd during alive>ritfw. i took a cpl videos & will work on uploading a few more:
    http://youtu.be/NCFwWwAdpts
    https://youtu.be/lUc_puhdvQI

whew, sorry tldr?
  • Options

whew, sorry tldr?

Not at all! Thanks for posting. My first post to the forum was after the Milwaukee show last year. :)

Also mine was like three times as long so... yeah, no worries. ;)
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    such a huge crowd at that show its so many people for just a 5 man band it was cool i wish we had festivals over here where there are a few good bands to fill in different times..
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited December 2015
    Thank you for capturing both of these on video. It's Okay is one of those visuals I will remember forever.
    Post edited by PJ212 on
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    sounds like a great show but sounds dangerous to me.
  • Options
    Holly9075Holly9075 Newfoundland, Canada Posts: 195
    foodboy said:

sounds like a great show but sounds dangerous to me.

Dangerous? why?

Mexico City 28/11/15   Chicago 20/08/16    Boston 04/09/2018
    Quebec City 05/05/16  Chicago 22/08/16
    Ottawa 08/05/16          Taormina 26/06/17
    Toronto 10/05/16         Taormina 27/06/17
    Toronto 11/05/16         Boston 02/09/2018

• Options
    edited December 2015
    It was a great event. Safety wise there was a ton of security and police presence. As for the crowd.. people were friendly, respectful and lovely . Even upon exit everyone was just casually strolling out of the venue chit chatting. Mexico city has a bit of a bad wrap in north America. My advice is take peoples opinions with a grain of salt. I'm glad I did or I would have missed out on a wonderful experience. Just take safety precautions like in any foreign city I was all over the city in my short visit. I would return again.
    Post edited by Holly9075 on

• Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    the description of people having to be pulled out and in distress in a ga pit to me is dangerous. a number of descriptions of people fighting to get out of the pit, especially with so called security not being able or trained for the situation . so with not being there it seems dangerous to me to be in those areas. hope that clears it up for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Sure thing, most of the shows in south america have been having people being pulled out of the pit but with that said I had multiple friends in GA-A that had a fantastic time.
    Post edited by Holly9075 on