Anxiety

124»

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited October 2016
    Post deleted by Admin. Please see the Posting Guidelines http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    rgambs said:

I never had anxiety, or even understood it, until I ate too many mushrooms and opened a door in my head that was better left closed lol
    I feel like once you have a panic attack it's like you are a heroin addict, you can go the rest of your life without another fix/attack, but you are still under it's shadow no matter what.

Breathe deep, bend your mind away from unpleasant thoughts, and trust that life is good and can be made better.
    Good luck y'all!

I don't see a duck here, just a good guy sharing a story and some good thoughts.

It's hard to live with anxiety, hard to live with someone who has anxiety. I find the key for both dealing with it as well as possible and also as much as possible not putting the wonderful person I live with in that arena is to work on containment, abatement and transformation. My experience with anxiety is that it's an energy (like love or anger or the muse) and a strong one at that. Sometimes it just takes a little taming (down boy!) or it can take great force of will to contain the ripping claws inside.

Sometimes I'm able to lessen anxiety's grip but usually I look to my ally, time. Time is my friend.

Lastly, transforming anxiety into something useful might involve hours of pecking at a keyboard or a brief flurry of creativity.

I've often been told to try to stay level. But I resist that because to me level is flat and flat is numb and numb is that dark place I don't want to go to. It can come to me which is fine because it will but on its own time, not mine.

The flip side of down is up and up is so good, so delicious, so intense.

Yes, Jimi, I hear you. Side A, song 2.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:

rgambs said:

I never had anxiety, or even understood it, until I ate too many mushrooms and opened a door in my head that was better left closed lol
    I feel like once you have a panic attack it's like you are a heroin addict, you can go the rest of your life without another fix/attack, but you are still under it's shadow no matter what.

Breathe deep, bend your mind away from unpleasant thoughts, and trust that life is good and can be made better.
    Good luck y'all!

I don't see a duck here, just a good guy sharing a story and some good thoughts.

It's hard to live with anxiety, hard to live with someone who has anxiety. I find the key for both dealing with it as well as possible and also as much as possible not putting the wonderful person I live with in that arena is to work on containment, abatement and transformation. My experience with anxiety is that it's an energy (like love or anger or the muse) and a strong one at that. Sometimes it just takes a little taming (down boy!) or it can take great force of will to contain the ripping claws inside.

Sometimes I'm able to lessen anxiety's grip but usually I look to my ally, time. Time is my friend.

Lastly, transforming anxiety into something useful might involve hours of pecking at a keyboard or a brief flurry of creativity.

I've often been told to try to stay level. But I resist that because to me level is flat and flat is numb and numb is that dark place I don't want to go to. It can come to me which is fine because it will but on its own time, not mine.

Good thoughts, brian. You're right, it's all energy, so use that energy for something positive if you can. For me, getting my body moving works best. Cycling or climbing most often; hiking, paddleboarding, kayaking, etc. when I have the opportunity.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,480
    Does anyone take Klonopin for anxiety/panic attacks? Works very well, but it has a bunch of side-effects.
  • ^ I've taken Ativan as needed, but not Klonopin. What are some of the side-effects of Klonopin?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• This is a pretty good guided meditation for anxiety/over-thinking if anybody wants to give it a go...
    http://youtu.be/1vx8iUvfyCY
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

This is a pretty good guided meditation for anxiety/over-thinking if anybody wants to give it a go...
    http://youtu.be/1vx8iUvfyCY

I had a counselor who did great work with guided imagery that helped a lot (but then I had to move). It helped to have someone there to guide me. Will give the video a look, thanks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Good luck y'all!

I really like this, B. The mindset - and I appreciate the path it took to understand what helps; even more important, implementing it. Sometimes it really does take a lifetime to reach that point.

(and then we realize it never ends!)

Got a couple of quasi-effective things I do (and think) when that thump-and-mind-beating starts.
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Good luck y'all!

I really like this, B. The mindset - and I appreciate the path it took to understand what helps; even more important, implementing it. Sometimes it really does take a lifetime to reach that point.

Got a couple of quasi-effective things I do (and think) when that thump-and-mind-beating starts.
    Thanks Hedo. Yes, it's an ongoing process!

My anxiety has been kicking in a lot lately. Just today I thought things were going a little better and then neighbors started shooting. I wish it were just a simple matter of moving but not so simple for us. So now I have to go through the process of peeling myself off the ceiling again and get out of here. Wanted to do some work at home today but I guess not. :frowning:

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    edited October 2016
    deleted by admin
    Post edited by Sea on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Exercise was key for me, and breathing exercises with my own imagery to help.

It's all about confidence so when I found something that gave me confidence that I could control it, the battle was won for the day.

Children should be taught coping skills for depression and anxiety. They should be taught about the benefits of exercise in ridding the body of excess adrenaline and they should be taught the benefits of avoiding caffeine and alcohol. Most of all they should be taught the concrete, physiological effects of deep breathing and cognitive behavioral therapy so they can have confidence in it's power in the same way they have confidence in drugs.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited October 2016
    rgambs said:

Children should be taught coping skills for depression and anxiety. They should be taught about the benefits of exercise in ridding the body of excess adrenaline and they should be taught the benefits of avoiding caffeine and alcohol. Most of all they should be taught the concrete, physiological effects of deep breathing and cognitive behavioral therapy so they can have confidence in it's power in the same way they have confidence in drugs.

This is spot on. Teach your children.
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Central Park 15

• SeaSea Posts: 3,008
    edited October 2016
    Thread reopened. Please take your personal issues with each other off the forum. Thank you.

Please read the Posting Guidelines http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

a. We operate on the "I'm rubber, you're glue" philosophy so if you make a wonderful, thoughtful post with good points and call the other guy a moron while you're at it, it'll be removed. See #3.

3. There are people bashing and insulting each other all over the internet. We feel it can be better here.

4. Please respect topic integrity by not derailing discussions from the original poster’s intent (OP). You can begin a new topic of your own in the appropriate forum.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

rgambs said:

This is spot on. Teach your children.
    I am sitting outside of my daughter's yoga class right now. Trying to give her yoga as something to help ease her anxiety.

She prefers to take the class herself and I respect her wishes. I just want her to learn.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Good luck y'all!

My anxiety has been kicking in a lot lately. Just today I thought things were going a little better and then neighbors started shooting. I wish it were just a simple matter of moving but not so simple for us. So now I have to go through the process of peeling myself off the ceiling again and get out of here. Wanted to do some work at home today but I guess not. :frowning:
    how are you today Brian?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Good luck y'all!

how are you today Brian?
    Thanks for asking HFD. :smile: Anxiety on a scale of 1 to 10 is about 4 today. Down significantly. Aging, creaky bones and back/neck pain and dizzzy headed on a scale of 1 to 10 about 9, haha.

Hacking or packing on a scale of 1 to 10, hacking a full 10! :smiley:

How goes it with you, Hugh?

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Good luck y'all!

how are you today Brian?
    Thanks for asking HFD. :smile: Anxiety on a scale of 1 to 10 is about 4 today. Down significantly. Aging, creaky bones and back/neck pain and dizzzy headed on a scale of 1 to 10 about 9, haha.

been ok lately, which is kind of weird to say. not sleeping well, and feel tired a LOT, but that could be related to my fitness level. which on a scale of 1-10 is -32.

www.headstonesband.com

brianlux said:

brianlux said:

hedonist said:

brianlux said:

rgambs said:

Good luck y'all!

how are you today Brian?

been ok lately, which is kind of weird to say. not sleeping well, and feel tired a LOT, but that could be related to my fitness level. which on a scale of 1-10 is -32.
    Exercise! I know... easier said than done. I hate exercising although walking is ok. Sometime I'll go walking somewhere new and that makes it more interesting.

• guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Haven't been doing too well with my anxiety lately. Have been trying to go to the gym more, which helps or at least tires me out enough to pass out & get some sleep. I tend to run away from responsibilities when I feel like this. Actually I fly away(being married to a flight attendant helps), out of site, out of mind does work for me sometimes. I'm ok when I'm with others, but I'm home alone often & that's never a good thing. My physical pain doesn't help matters either.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

Haven't been doing too well with my anxiety lately. Have been trying to go to the gym more, which helps or at least tires me out enough to pass out & get some sleep. I tend to run away from responsibilities when I feel like this. Actually I fly away(being married to a flight attendant helps), out of site, out of mind does work for me sometimes. I'm ok when I'm with others, but I'm home alone often & that's never a good thing. My physical pain doesn't help matters either.

I'm sorry, Joe.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I keep meaning to really try meditation. I saw this on TV this morning - it's fantastic.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/meditation-students-mindful-moments-program-robert-w-coleman-elementary-school/
    Imagine how many young ones and teens could benefit from that, E? And how many could have by now, through those tough years?

I've yet to try meditation in the formal sense. More like, OK, focus, breathe.

Repeat.

And I've found just smiling helps too, right when that "oh no, not again" feeling kicks in.

Gym sounds like a good idea and gets you out. Hang in there, Joe.

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    First timer to this thread. I'm diagnosed bipolar II and, probably not shockingly, I deal with some intense anxiety.
    Very recently though it's manifested itself intense fear of things like stairs, driving and the night. At night I feel like when I turn to look somewhere I will see a ghost or if I open my eyes I'll see something. Driving is like I'm not in control and stairs...well I don't know how to explain it. My psychiatrist says the fear of seeing things and what I hear (very odd noises) is a hallucination of my med that I started in August.
    It's truly awful and frequently turns into an anxiety attack.
    Anyone ever had something similar?

First timer to this thread. I'm diagnosed bipolar II and, probably not shockingly, I deal with some intense anxiety.
    Very recently though it's manifested itself intense fear of things like stairs, driving and the night. At night I feel like when I turn to look somewhere I will see a ghost or if I open my eyes I'll see something. Driving is like I'm not in control and stairs...well I don't know how to explain it. My psychiatrist says the fear of seeing things and what I hear (very odd noises) is a hallucination of my med that I started in August.

That's some tough stuff to deal with, lvm. I hope you find some good strength to overcome those fears. It's hard, I know.

I've had not the same but as far as bad reaction to meds, some fairly similar issues. In the late 90's I my then regular doc put me on an anti-depressants even though I was already hooked on Xanax and the added meds made things way worse. I stopped eating, couldn't sleep, became more and more anxious and freaked out. The doc just keep upping the dose- not good. It got to the point of me literally spending weeks staying in bed most of the time hiding under blankets until a friend told me to get help or die. She was right so I did.

Meds can be super helpful (a few years on Serzone helped me after getting off the other meds) but sometimes they can cause more problems than help. Maybe consider at least one other consultation with another doc to see if your meds are right for you. That could make all the difference for you.

Hang in there, man. Cool of you to share your story with us.

no experience with meds that do that, but I know my anxiety tends to make me think I'm seeing things. not tangible hallucinations, but things in the corner of my eye. I think someone's/something's there and I look directly and nothing. it doesn't help with my eye floaters. makes everything more confusing. I get lots of flashes of light in my eyes, especially at night. I know it can be a sign of detached retina, but that has been going on so long I know it's not that. it hasn't been a proven side effect of anxiety, but a lot of anxious people report it as a symptom.

I know anxiety and meds can both cause auditory and visual hallucinations. Our bodies like to fuck with us. hang in there ledvedderman.

www.headstonesband.com