Anxiety

Of all the things one can experience I think anxiety is one of the worst, especially when it is the kind that digs into every little corner. It's like having a vice squeezing in on all sides. It's not even fear, it's just crushing dread. And it irrational and illogical and I know that very well but there are time I can't shake it. I just shake.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Been there many a time, B.

To say it's difficult is an understatement.

What do you do when it hits? Know the cause, if any?

Sometimes I try to breathe, at least focus on the process of my body doing so, and other times just go with it and ride that wave best I can.

Hope it passes soon.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    hedonist said:

Been there many a time, B.

To say it's difficult is an understatement.

What do you do when it hits? Know the cause, if any?

Sometimes I try to breathe, at least focus on the process of my body doing so, and other times just go with it and ride that wave best I can.

Hope it passes soon.

Thank Hedo. For me, some times it just comes out of the blue like some vague non-specific dread. Other times its caused more directly by things I can't identify like unusual sounds which is what got to me tonight. There was this weird metallic grinding going on in the dark just down from us- not that it was spooky, just that it was unrecognizable. Instead of just being irritating, for some reason it ignited some pretty intense anxiety.

Breathing is what I've heard most often is good to do. I'll have to try to remember to do that more. Usually I just try to engage my brain with something like computer card games or computer chess and wait for it to pass. I like the way you put it- "ride the wave best I can."

Thanks for the empathy- that helps!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    this helps me
    i know believe me
    and caffeine and sugar are supposed to be bad for anxiety sufferers
    orange scented air freshener is supposed to help also lavender oil in a burner
    i hope this all helps
    and keep up the breathing..
    Thanks JWP. Yes, breathe, breathe!

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    edited October 2015
    Anxiety - an interesting feeling, why is it there ? and what is it trying to tell you? (I sometime feel anxiety as well, you are not alone)
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Annafalk said:

Anxiety - an interesting feeling, why is it there ? and what is it trying to tell you? (I sometime feel anxiety as well, you are not alone)

Fear I can see having a purpose. It impels a "fight or flight" self-defense response. But anxiety- I don't see any purpose for it. Anxiety just erodes well being. Still a bit shaky this AM. Glad to have a busy day ahead of me today!

• GillycwGillycw Posts: 524
    Yep I call it low level dread, I've had it all this week too. That feeling that something bad is going to happen and that awful twisting in your gut. It helps me if I verbalise it, it's like chasing a ghost away. Jw is spot on with the magnesium too, funny that, I've been forgetting to take mine! I hope you feel better today Brian.
    Gillycw said:

Yep I call it low level dread, I've had it all this week too. That feeling that something bad is going to happen and that awful twisting in your gut. It helps me if I verbalise it, it's like chasing a ghost away. Jw is spot on with the magnesium too, funny that, I've been forgetting to take mine! I hope you feel better today Brian.

Well said, Gilly and thanks for the encouragement. I've been taking magnesium for some time and mostly doing quite well so having this rip at me big time last night and today is puzzling. Just gotta tough it out!

• PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    Oh I know Anxiety all too well. I've been suffering it a lot lately with being off my meds to have a baby and the whole Keyton thing going on...and it's been like a vice gripping my chest and crushing it. Breathing doesn't even help me, so far the only thing that helps is getting busy and getting my mind on other things...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited October 2015
    I have an anxiety disorder that was triggered by an event (so basically a PTSD symptom). For some time it was severe both emotionally and physically, where I had to take medical leave from work for a few months because I was basically nonfunctional and very sick, and during that time I tried several medications, which went very badly - I had to go to the hospital at one point. Finally, after some months of counselling to help me through the worst of it, I just dealt with it through lifestyle adjustments to accommodate the disorder (which is actually a really difficult thing to do, as it turns out), and the occasional Ativan if I sense an actual acute anxiety attack coming on, which is very rare now, I'm happy to say.
    At this point, my anxiety is mostly felt physically rather than emotionally. I.e. I get muscle twitches (painless) and joint and muscle stiffness or muscle spasms (painful), ear ringing, impaired vision, nausea, insomnia (although that preceded the disorder... the insomnia probably just contributes to the disorder), and what is commonly termed as "brain zaps", which are quite disturbing, but painless. To control all of these things without medication I need to basically just be more gentle with myself and my time than I used to be. I don't overbook myself if I can help it. I don't try to pack too much into a weekend or a vacation, I avoid being rushed, I allow myself plenty of time to get things done, I set aside plenty of alone time, etc. So basically, I made my whole life more simple and relaxed. I also very much use music therapy, as I believe many of you do, too, and I don't think that should be underestimated; it's been probably the main key to my recovery. :)
    I have found that just arranging my life this way keeps my disorder almost completely in the physical realm like I just explained, and pretty well under control, instead of crossing over into the emotional realm, which is the part that is REALLY hard (I assume most of you here understand what I mean by that). Brian, I'm not sure if this kind of method would work for you or would even be possible, but if you haven't tried it, perhaps do if you can. Remember, an anxiety disorder is actually a mental illness, so you can't just will your way out of it. Obviously this is a longterm solution; it probably took me a couple of years to really work it out to the point where it was truly effective. Of course, I don't have any kids, and I am single (for the time being), so my method is totally possible for that kind of lifestyle. I think it's probably impossible for the majority of people. I frankly don't know how those with kids and a spouse and a life where everything is constantly moving fast and there is no time for rest and reflection can also handle an anxiety disorder, but I congratulate all of you for even making the attempt. I don't know what I'd do if my solution of a radical lifestyle change hadn't been possible.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I have an anxiety disorder that was triggered by an event (so basically a PTSD symptom). For some time it was severe both emotionally and physically, where I had to take medical leave from work for a few months because I was basically nonfunctional and very sick, and during that time I tried several medications, which went very badly - I had to go to the hospital at one point. Finally, after some months of counselling to help me through the worst of it, I just dealt with it through lifestyle adjustments to accommodate the disorder (which is actually a really difficult thing to do, as it turns out), and the occasional Ativan if I sense an actual acute anxiety attack coming on, which is very rare now, I'm happy to say.
    At this point, my anxiety is mostly felt physically rather than emotionally. I.e. I get muscle twitches (painless) and joint and muscle stiffness or muscle spasms (painful), ear ringing, impaired vision, nausea, insomnia (although that preceded the disorder... the insomnia probably just contributes to the disorder), and what is commonly termed as "brain zaps", which are quite disturbing, but painless. To control all of these things without medication I need to basically just be more gentle with myself and my time than I used to be. I don't overbook myself if I can help it. I don't try to pack too much into a weekend or a vacation, I avoid being rushed, I allow myself plenty of time to get things done, I set aside plenty of alone time, etc. So basically, I made my whole life more simple and relaxed. I also very much use music therapy, as I believe many of you do, too, and I don't think that should be underestimated; it's been probably the main key to my recovery. :)
    I have found that just arranging my life this way keeps my disorder almost completely in the physical realm like I just explained, and pretty well under control, instead of crossing over into the emotional realm, which is the part that is REALLY hard (I assume most of you here understand what I mean by that). Brian, I'm not sure if this kind of method would work for you or would even be possible, but if you haven't tried it, perhaps do if you can. Remember, an anxiety disorder is actually a mental illness, so you can't just will your way out of it. Obviously this is a longterm solution; it probably took me a couple of years to really work it out to the point where it was truly effective. Of course, I don't have any kids, and I am single (for the time being), so my method is totally possible for that kind of lifestyle. I think it's probably impossible for the majority of people. I frankly don't know how those with kids and a spouse and a life where everything is constantly moving fast and there is no time for rest and reflection can also handle an anxiety disorder, but I congratulate all of you for even making the attempt. I don't know what I'd do if my solution of a radical lifestyle change hadn't been possible.

What an amazing story, PJ_S. You are courageous and brave for sharing this and amazing for working things out the way you have.

I know only too well that I can't just will anxiety away. Even the closest people to me say things like "Just don't think about it" or "You're worrying about things that might not even happen". I don't hold it against them but sometimes I wish people who don't understand anxiety would not try to help. That sounds harsh and I don't mean it to be, it's just not helpful to hear things you've heard a thousand times. (No one here has done that- you guys are great!) The best way to respond to someone with a condition you don't understand is to give them empathy rather than advice.

I have an herb lady who gives me herbal tinctures that help some and I called her today to see what we can do. Prescriptions meds have never done well for me (I had to break a Xanax addiction several years ago) so I won't be going there again.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and ideas PJ_Soul and everyone.

• PJSirenPJSiren Posts: 5,863
    PJ_Soul said:

This!!! It's very difficult, and so hard to take care of yourself while all these fast paced things are happening with your family. I've been trying, especially now that I am off all my meds, but I am still struggling. I am literally exhausted...all the time.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
    Anxiety for me is a warning, whether I'm doing something wrong or someone else is and I have
    To find what or whom it is and sometimes it does not go away but remains as a hindrance to limit
    My boystrous actions or keep my mouth shut and body tight, either way I know it dies with just
    This old body of mine thank God...
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    Apologies if this question is rude, I'm completely ignorant here. How does someone get actually diagnosed with anxiety? From a regular doctor or a shrink?
    When I had regular insurance my private practice doctor (regular doctor) gave me a Xanax prescription when I told her I was going on a long flight (which is something I'd never done before & I had never had a fear of flying).
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
    edited October 2015
    ldent42 said:

Apologies if this question is rude, I'm completely ignorant here. How does someone get actually diagnosed with anxiety? From a regular doctor or a shrink?
    When I had regular insurance my private practice doctor (regular doctor) gave me a Xanax prescription when I told her I was going on a long flight (which is something I'd never done before & I had never had a fear of flying).

Not a rude question at all, Indent. Clinical anxiety is most often diagnosed by a Psychiatrist (as opposed to a General Practitioner MD or counselor) using the DSM V ( Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, V being the 5th and current edition) The book is massively expensive but you can get a lot of the info on line. Here's the diagnostic criteria for general anxiety disorder (plus there are several sub-categories): http://behavenet.com/node/21591 .

The attending Psychiatrist might also do a Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF), which is a numeric scale (1 through 100). The counseling prof I worked with for a number of years described it this way : "If your GAF is zero, you are dead. If your GAF is 100, you are God." Most people now days run between 60 and 90. Getting down to 50 or lower though is some serious shit.

An MD may prescribe a benzodiazepine such as Xanax or Valium for short term use in the case of someone have a fear of flying (I get that- I haven't flown in over 25 years after being in two near- crashes) but it doesn't sound like you were diagnosed with anxiety disorder. It seems a bit odd that you were prescribed Xanax since you did not seem to have a fear of flying concern. Probably made the flight rather pleasant though I suppose! I assume your MD warned you of the dangers of mixing benzodiazepines with alcohol.
    Post edited by brianlux on

That IS weird you were prescribed Xanax. I think you probably should have just been prescribed a few Valium.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Thanks for the explanation B-lux. I kind of expected it to be a psychiatrist but I guess I have a bit of a chicken & egg conundrum in my head. I'm not really knowledgeable on how doctor stuff works. That's why I'm wondering how people manage to actually to see a psychiatrist and find out like what's up, you know? I have a physical in a few weeks so I'm just wondering.

Just to clarify on the Xanax, I was prescribed the stuff "just in case" and I didn't even know what it was until I saw it said "generic for Xanax" on the label. I took it with me, got shit about it at customs, and brought it home with me, but I never took it. I ended up throwing it out after it expired.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    It's just that Xanax is more one of those medications that you need to take for a while for it to really work, similar to antidepressants, while something like Valium or Ativan are more meant for "one-offs" like that, so taking Xanax for a specific thing like getting on a plane doesn't actually make any sense. Your doctor made a mistake with that one. But that isn't surprising. GPs usually know shockingly little about anxiety, be it phobias or disorders. And you can hardly blame them. An acute anxiety attack isn't hard to understand, but generalized anxiety disorder is much more difficult because it has about a million possible symptoms, and they vary a lot from person to person. Sometimes symptoms are mistaken for indicators of something else altogether, and vice versa.
    Yea I mean it's also possible she was just trying to use up the prescription pad cuz also gave me the flu medicine ... I wanna say Tamiflu? Lady was just prescription happy lol.
    ldent42 said:

Yea I mean it's also possible she was just trying to use up the prescription pad cuz also gave me the flu medicine ... I wanna say Tamiflu? Lady was just prescription happy lol.

Sound like a doctor version of Payola. I'm not saying there isn't a place and time where prescriptions meds are useful but too many doctors are prescription crazy and I do suspect sometimes there is a payoff. The other thing that kind of blows my mind is the fact that too often doctors don't talk about side effects. I had a very bad experience that way years ago and have learned the importance of being proactive with health care issues- doing my own research, asking the right questions, that sort of thing.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    PJ_Soul said:

It's just that Xanax is more one of those medications that you need to take for a while for it to really work, similar to antidepressants, while something like Valium or Ativan are more meant for "one-offs" like that, so taking Xanax for a specific thing like getting on a plane doesn't actually make any sense. Your doctor made a mistake with that one. But that isn't surprising. GPs usually know shockingly little about anxiety, be it phobias or disorders. And you can hardly blame them. An acute anxiety attack isn't hard to understand, but generalized anxiety disorder is much more difficult because it has about a million possible symptoms, and they vary a lot from person to person. Sometimes symptoms are mistaken for indicators of something else altogether, and vice versa.

Actually xanax (alprazolam) is chemically very similar to valium (diazepam) or ativan (lorazepam) and would be expected to work as they do. In fact, one of the problems with xanax is that it works very quickly but then wears off quickly, leading to rebound anxiety (or insomnia, if that's what it's taken for) and thus people tend to take more and more. It's a difficult drug to get off once someone is dependent on it; in fact, to my mind it's a terrible drug except in very limited circumstances (as in, a real one-off), but the others in the family aren't much better. Everyone should be wary of them and cognizant of their side effects.

Brian, you are correct, always be proactive in asking for full information about any medication a doctor is recommending to you. And I hope you get some relief from your anxiety soon.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

PJ_Soul said:

Actually xanax (alprazolam) is chemically very similar to valium (diazepam) or ativan (lorazepam) and would be expected to work as they do. In fact, one of the problems with xanax is that it works very quickly but then wears off quickly, leading to rebound anxiety (or insomnia, if that's what it's taken for) and thus people tend to take more and more. It's a difficult drug to get off once someone is dependent on it; in fact, to my mind it's a terrible drug except in very limited circumstances (as in, a real one-off), but the others in the family aren't much better. Everyone should be wary of them and cognizant of their side effects.

Brian, you are correct, always be proactive in asking for full information about any medication a doctor is recommending to you. And I hope you get some relief from your anxiety soon.
    Thanks, often!

Yes, that was my experience with Xanax- that it worked quickly and well but fairly short lived. After literally years of taking Xanax, by the time I got help to get off it I was crushing the tablets, putting them under my tongue and rubbing them into my gums and mixing them with alcohol. It was a serious addiction and I was lucky to survive those tough years. Xanax is not a drug that should be prescribed too readily. In fact, I'm so wary of prescription meds, I haven't taken any for several years now. I go with herbs, yoga and the aforementioned music therapy. And of course, family and friends and having Annie, our cat, helps also. And being here with you good people is also a godsend. :smile:

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    never had it

im different... i drink coffee & sleep
    when my cars explode in flames i smile & laugh
    energy drinks give me a rash & make me tired
    my tshirts are fulla holes
    i've gas
    my beard attracts cream cheese bagels, crust, crumbs, sauce, steam, bugs, christmas lights, lamps, ink, poles, carbon, hemorrhoids, binoculars, water, water, water, water, tree bark & extra shits of bullshit. therefore

no
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited October 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Really eh? Well colour me wrong. I had been told different by a couple people who'd taken it, but I have never taken it so there you go. :)
    Apparently Ativan has the same kind of addictive effects, but you'd have to be taking it everyday for quite some (so my doctor said). Having taken Ativan, I can see how thst wouod happen if you're constantly feeling the pressure.
    ...... What about weed? It doesn't work for everyone because some find that it causes paranoia, but for others it can certainly take the edge off.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893
    I don't get it. I'm thankful for that.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    chadwick said:

never had it

im different... i drink coffee & sleep
    when my cars explode in flames i smile & laugh
    energy drinks give me a rash & make me tired
    my tshirts are fulla holes
    i've gas
    my beard attracts cream cheese bagels, crust, crumbs, sauce, steam, bugs, christmas lights, lamps, ink, poles, carbon, hemorrhoids, binoculars, water, water, water, water, tree bark & extra shits of bullshit. therefore

no

Haha! Your posts are massive rolling balls of energy and goodness, Chadwick! And I'll bet your beard looks great all encrusted with bugs 'n Christmas tree lights!

Love that image of the burning car. Like my brother told me once when I was in a state of dismay, "The world is fire and the air gasoline. You're cool, I'm cool. Cool."

Rock on, Chadwick!
    :rock_on:

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    Thanks for starting this thread Brian my daughter who's 18 suffers from this all good info here thanks again ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • i suffer from it often. it only started happening late in my teenage years. for the most part i am okay, so i don't take anything for it. never seen a doctor about it. but i do get those moments of extreme heart pounding anxiety (mostly when i am out in public) where i have to get away from other people and just sit and try to calm myself down. it's not fun. :/
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    PJ_Soul said:

That IS weird you were prescribed Xanax. I think you probably should have just been prescribed a few Valium.

I think it depends where you live, believe it or not. When I had a long flight they gave me xanax. When my friend out west got a script it was for valium. They pretty much do the same thing if you're just taking it once or twice. They make you relax without knocking you on your ass. If you sleep a few hours you don't wake up groggy like with benedryl or a sleeping pill.

As for anxiety I know the feeling as well. I've had a few panic attacks, and they came out of nowhere. The feeling of dread just comes over me like a shadow. It's only been 3 in about 15 years but when it hits it's so bizarre. If I felt that way all the time I don't know how I would survive day to day...
    When my dad passed away I was really overwhelmed so my GP gave me a xanax script. I used it short term and it helped me but I made sure I only took it for a few weeks. I could see myself getting caught up in relying on going around feeling numb all the time so I was super aware of what I had to do.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!