Pacific Ocean Pollution AKA The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

2

Comments

  • AnnafalkAnnafalk SwedenPosts: 3,853
    edited October 2015
    brianlux said:

    Annafalk said:

    Plastic and nature simply don't belong together. It also shouldn't be legal to produce different wash creams, tooth paste and such with these small plastics particles in them. So much we never even really needed from the beginning is floating around in our oceans.

    Excellent point, Annafalk. I'm not sure everyone is aware of the plastics in these products.

    Excellent ray avatar/photo, by the way!
    Thank you very much Brianlux, I've read that the treatment plants can't clean out these particles so it goes straight out in the ocean, as if we didn't have enough pollution. No wonder the life in the seas is decreasing so much.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 47,215
    Annafalk said:

    brianlux said:

    Annafalk said:

    Plastic and nature simply don't belong together. It also shouldn't be legal to produce different wash creams, tooth paste and such with these small plastics particles in them. So much we never even really needed from the beginning is floating around in our oceans.

    Excellent point, Annafalk. I'm not sure everyone is aware of the plastics in these products.

    Excellent ray avatar/photo, by the way!
    Thank you very much Brianlux, I've read that the treatment plants can't clean out these particles so it goes straight out in the ocean, as if we didn't have enough pollution. No wonder the life in the seas is decreasing so much.
    Many companies are starting to phase out the use of plastic for microbeads. I don't know why they don't just use a bit of sand instead. Works better.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • New Documentary that is along the same lines.

    http://racingextinction.com/the-film/#where-to-see-itA
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    thats disgusting on our part to dispose in the first place like that
    i know i dont but that junk got there only by disposal
    number 6...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    Will check those out, Tempo. Thanks!
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • brianlux said:

    Will check those out, Tempo. Thanks!

    I just saw an add for something about the plastic in the water for NatGeo or Discovery. Not sure which one. When I find it I'll post it. I thought it was running Thursday?
    JWPearl said:

    thats disgusting on our part to dispose in the first place like that
    i know i dont but that junk got there only by disposal

    There's a great commercial out now that shows a plastic bottle rolling around. You'll get the gist when u see it.

    Anybody know if there are any organizations that are trying to stop the over fishing in the oceans?

    I'll tell you that the US does a great job at sustaining Alaskas fishing industry.

    Sorry for the tangent...
  • scorpio2kscorpio2k Posts: 293

    I fucking hate, hate, plastic shopping bags. I really wish they were outlawed. I was in the middle of nowhere Alaska a few years ago. Only accessible by plane. Start hiking. Within a 1/4 mile what do I spot in a tree... Plastic bag.

    Banned here in Hawaii if it makes you feel any better...

    when he's happy he looks insane

    Gorge 2005
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WAPosts: 31,010
    scorpio2k said:

    I fucking hate, hate, plastic shopping bags. I really wish they were outlawed. I was in the middle of nowhere Alaska a few years ago. Only accessible by plane. Start hiking. Within a 1/4 mile what do I spot in a tree... Plastic bag.

    Banned here in Hawaii if it makes you feel any better...

    The entire state? That's awesome!
    Plastic bags banned in the city of Seattle, though only for groceries and stores. Still get plastic bags when you order takeout.
    Hate plastic bags.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

    - Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 47,215
    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    edited January 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    When are they a necessity?

    Also, it is impossible to make a truly biodegradable plastic bag. What is referred to as "biodegradable" plastics are merely plastics that break down into tiny balls of plastic that fish see as food.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 47,215
    edited January 2016
    brianlux said:

    PJ_Soul said:

    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    When are they a necessity?

    Also, it is impossible to make a truly biodegradable plastic bag. What is referred to as "biodegradable" plastics are merely plastics that break down into tiny balls of plastic that fish see as food.
    I consider them an absolute necessity at times. Like for kitty litter. And for meat. I'm not putting meat in my fabric grocery bags without a plastic bag around it.
    For putting my wet umbrella in my purse when needs be, like at a concert. For putting really stinky stuff in. Etc. I use fabric shopping bags very faithfully - I always always always have one or two rolled up in my purse. But yeah, sometimes things just need to be sealed in plastic, IMO. Yes, ultimately for convenience and limiting grossness. I do my part I think, but I have my limits.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ldent42ldent42 NYCPosts: 7,843
    brianlux said:

    PJ_Soul said:

    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    When are they a necessity?

    Also, it is impossible to make a truly biodegradable plastic bag. What is referred to as "biodegradable" plastics are merely plastics that break down into tiny balls of plastic that fish see as food.
    when you walk your dog?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • ldent42 said:

    brianlux said:

    PJ_Soul said:

    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    When are they a necessity?

    Also, it is impossible to make a truly biodegradable plastic bag. What is referred to as "biodegradable" plastics are merely plastics that break down into tiny balls of plastic that fish see as food.
    when you walk your dog?
    Your old newspaper placed strategically under there rear end works just fine.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    ldent42 said:

    brianlux said:

    PJ_Soul said:

    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    When are they a necessity?

    Also, it is impossible to make a truly biodegradable plastic bag. What is referred to as "biodegradable" plastics are merely plastics that break down into tiny balls of plastic that fish see as food.
    when you walk your dog?
    mah dawgs walk me, baby!

    Yeah, I use an occasional plastic bag myself. It's hard not to. I re-use the hell out of them when I do and try to just not use them whenever possible. But they should be truly biodegradable. Plus, I always take cloth bags into the store. Given the time, I would get involved in any organization that works to promote non-plastic truly compostable containers. I'm happy to say I'm starting to see more of those. Out local independent coffee shop uses compostables. But I take my own mug in so I don't have to use them.
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WAPosts: 31,010
    brianlux said:

    ldent42 said:

    brianlux said:

    PJ_Soul said:

    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    When are they a necessity?

    Also, it is impossible to make a truly biodegradable plastic bag. What is referred to as "biodegradable" plastics are merely plastics that break down into tiny balls of plastic that fish see as food.
    when you walk your dog?
    mah dawgs walk me, baby!

    Yeah, I use an occasional plastic bag myself. It's hard not to. I re-use the hell out of them when I do and try to just not use them whenever possible. But they should be truly biodegradable. Plus, I always take cloth bags into the store. Given the time, I would get involved in any organization that works to promote non-plastic truly compostable containers. I'm happy to say I'm starting to see more of those. Out local independent coffee shop uses compostables. But I take my own mug in so I don't have to use them.
    Along with our plastic bag ban, most restaurants use the compostable containers. They are made from corn. Unfortunately, only compostable in commercial compost facilities. Hope they make stuff residents can compost at home.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

    - Christopher McCandless
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    RKCNDY said:

    brianlux said:

    ldent42 said:

    brianlux said:

    PJ_Soul said:

    brianlux said:

    Why is it so hard for humans to do what is logical? Why do we still have plastic bags? Why does the Great Pacific Garbage Patch exist? Why are we so ecologically stupid?

    Plastic bags are necessary sometimes, but why aren't they all at least biodegradable?
    When are they a necessity?

    Also, it is impossible to make a truly biodegradable plastic bag. What is referred to as "biodegradable" plastics are merely plastics that break down into tiny balls of plastic that fish see as food.
    when you walk your dog?
    mah dawgs walk me, baby!

    Yeah, I use an occasional plastic bag myself. It's hard not to. I re-use the hell out of them when I do and try to just not use them whenever possible. But they should be truly biodegradable. Plus, I always take cloth bags into the store. Given the time, I would get involved in any organization that works to promote non-plastic truly compostable containers. I'm happy to say I'm starting to see more of those. Out local independent coffee shop uses compostables. But I take my own mug in so I don't have to use them.
    Along with our plastic bag ban, most restaurants use the compostable containers. They are made from corn. Unfortunately, only compostable in commercial compost facilities. Hope they make stuff residents can compost at home.
    Sounds great, RKCNDY. With enough public pressure these kinds of things can/will change. :smile:
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • I am not by any means going to dispute the dreaded effects of plastics in the ocean but I do stand up for the little guy.http://www.bagtheban.com/multimedia/item/the-truth-about-plastic-bags
    Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both ideas are overwhelming. AE
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250

    I am not by any means going to dispute the dreaded effects of plastics in the ocean but I do stand up for the little guy.http://www.bagtheban.com/multimedia/item/the-truth-about-plastic-bags

    Actually, there are some valid points in that clever little article. But keep in mind that what they call "reusables" are so often these crappy piece of shit bags that are also pumped out by the billions. The whole thing comes back to a) too much consumerism and, b) a lack of durable good meant to last a long time and not become outmoded. That basic, one, two.
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • ldent42ldent42 NYCPosts: 7,843
    I've never actually had a dog, but my friend has the little green bags clipped on the leash. That's the only reason I knew about it lol.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    I had a dog years ago. Yeah, had to do the dog poop bag thing when not home but she was mostly at home or at the store which also has a yard so mostly, no problema. Loved that old dog and cried like a baby when she moved on but I'm much more a cat person. They just run around and compost the yard or for indoor cats you just fling the cat poop into the dirt or the compost.
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • AnnafalkAnnafalk SwedenPosts: 3,853
    edited January 2016
    Today I read something unbelievably tragic, that there soon actually will be more plastics than fishes in the oceans?
    I wonder why/how so much plastics end up in our waters, it can't only be litter that has blown away with the wind, there must be other explanations. Could there some country dumping their waist directly in the ocean or what?
    95% of the plastics are only used one single time, we need to stop produce so freeking much and recycle much more.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    Annafalk said:

    Today I read something unbelievably tragic, that there soon actually will be more plastics than fishes in the oceans?
    I wonder why/how so much plastics end up in our waters, it can't only be litter that has blown away with the wind, there must be other explanations. Could there some country dumping their waist directly in the ocean or what?
    95% of the plastics are only used one single time, we need to stop produce so freeking much and recycle much more.

    Appears to be the case, Annafalk.

    https://ecowatch.com/2016/01/20/more-plastic-than-fish-in-ocean/

    And to make matters worse, fishing practices (including illegal fishing and whaling) are decimating many species of fish. If we don't stop this, we will go as well. I never eat fish any more.
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 3,693
    plastic bags and bottled water should not exist
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250
    Some sobering thoughts here:

    http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/jan/20/from-oil-use-to-ocean-pollution-five-facts-about-the-plastics-industry

    "The world of plastics is in drastic need of reform. This is the conclusion of a new report released at Davos by the World Economics Forum, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation and consultancy firm McKinsey. Here are five of its most startling facts:

    The plastics industry uses as much oil as the aviation sector
    Plastic waste is a resource issue as much as an environmental one. “At the moment the plastics industry takes up roughly 8% of oil production, and [given projected growth in consumption] it’s forecast to rise to 20% by 2050,” explains Joss Blériot, executive lead for editorial and policy at the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. “That means we end up with an explosion of the weight of plastic within the system and if it doesn’t get captured it’s a massive economic loss.”

    One truck of plastic waste is dumped into the ocean every minute
    At least 8m tonnes of plastics leak into the ocean every year, the equivalent of dumping the contents of one garbage truck every minute into the ocean. At present this adds up to more than 150m tonnes of plastics in the ocean, and by 2050 the weight of plastic is likely to outweigh that of fish.

    Plastic waste is already having a profound impact on oceans and marine life. It is found inside animals throughout the ocean food chain, from mussels to sea turtles to whales, and is likely to end up in the human food chain.

    Plastics use is expected to quadruple by 2050
    Plastic production has increased 20 times in the last 50 years from 15m tonnes to 311m tonnes and, according to the report, is predicted to reach 1,124m tonnes by 2050. But much of the value is lost to the economy. The report estimates that 95% of the material value of plastic packaging – worth as much as $120bn (£84bn) annually – is lost to the economy after a short first use.

    Just 5% of plastic packaging is recycled
    Despite the launch of the first universal recycling symbol more than 40 years ago, only 14% of plastic packaging is collected for recycling. After losses in sorting and reprocessing, only 5% of total material value is retained for second use.

    Due to its low value, high volume nature there is little economic incentive to capture plastic and little investment is put towards building the infrastructure to do so. An estimated 40% of global packaging material is sent to landfill, 32% is leaked into the environment and 14% is used in energy recovery.

    Simple solutions may stifle innovation
    Currently consumer goods are mostly made from mixed plastics which are only suitable for downcycling (conversion into less valuable or less useful products). It should therefore be simple: create one single recyclable material that can be used worldwide to make everything from peanut butter tubs to shampoo bottles.

    However, Joe Murphy, a network manager at the Ellen MacArthur Foundation who worked on analysis for the report, warns there is a tension between encouraging simplification and inhibiting innovation. The function of high performing mixed plastic which extends the shelf life of food, for example, would not be something on which to compromise."
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






  • ldent42ldent42 NYCPosts: 7,843
    that's really fucking disturbing. Remember when everything used to come in glass jars? Why don't we do that anymore?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • brianlux said:

    Annafalk said:

    Today I read something unbelievably tragic, that there soon actually will be more plastics than fishes in the oceans?
    I wonder why/how so much plastics end up in our waters, it can't only be litter that has blown away with the wind, there must be other explanations. Could there some country dumping their waist directly in the ocean or what?
    95% of the plastics are only used one single time, we need to stop produce so freeking much and recycle much more.

    Appears to be the case, Annafalk.

    https://ecowatch.com/2016/01/20/more-plastic-than-fish-in-ocean/

    And to make matters worse, fishing practices (including illegal fishing and whaling) are decimating many species of fish. If we don't stop this, we will go as well. I never eat fish any more.
    Brian, the United States does an amazing job at keeping the fishing sustainable. They have quotas and observers to watch over this to make sure that a species never gets over fished.
    I was a deckhand in Alaska and was amazed at what they do to assure healthy fishing the next year.

  • AnnafalkAnnafalk SwedenPosts: 3,853
    Brianlux thank you for the info. it's even worse than I thought.
    ldent42 said:

    that's really fucking disturbing. Remember when everything used to come in glass jars? Why don't we do that anymore?

    I agree glass is a so much better material for everyone. And it can also be recycled in eternity.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,250

    brianlux said:

    Annafalk said:

    Today I read something unbelievably tragic, that there soon actually will be more plastics than fishes in the oceans?
    I wonder why/how so much plastics end up in our waters, it can't only be litter that has blown away with the wind, there must be other explanations. Could there some country dumping their waist directly in the ocean or what?
    95% of the plastics are only used one single time, we need to stop produce so freeking much and recycle much more.

    Appears to be the case, Annafalk.

    https://ecowatch.com/2016/01/20/more-plastic-than-fish-in-ocean/

    And to make matters worse, fishing practices (including illegal fishing and whaling) are decimating many species of fish. If we don't stop this, we will go as well. I never eat fish any more.
    Brian, the United States does an amazing job at keeping the fishing sustainable. They have quotas and observers to watch over this to make sure that a species never gets over fished.
    I was a deckhand in Alaska and was amazed at what they do to assure healthy fishing the next year.

    That's encouraging, tempo, and I've read that the U.S. leads the world in (so-called) sustainable fishing (I say "so-called" because I'm not convinced we really understand that term to it's fullest extent) and yet when we stop to consider that the US is but one part of a larger whole- the earth- the problem is still great. The fact is that world-wide, over-fishing is a major problem. The U.S. only has control over so much of the oceans and the fish themselves know few boundaries. In fact whales are known to migrate as much as 5,000 KM (3106 miles). Many fish species have become extinct due to over-fishing and many others are endangered. And then, of course, add to that the problem of plastics in the oceans and the dying out of coral reefs and we have a major major problem.

    If the oceans die back too far, we and most other mammals die off.
    "The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.






Sign In or Register to comment.