Options

Ten Commandos CD & Vinyl

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,552
    edited November 2015

Not totally feeling this yest. The tune is great but the timing of the vocals is wierd. I'll give it a few more spins.

Spins? Is the vinyl out already? Or are you just talking about the digital single? Is the whole album available just to sample already? I thought it wasn't until this Friday. That's what I need before actually paying for the album, so hoping someone posts it all on youtube soon!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,879
    PJ_Soul said:

Not totally feeling this yest. The tune is great but the timing of the vocals is wierd. I'll give it a few more spins.

Spins? Is the vinyl out already? Or are you just talking about the digital single? Is the whole album available just to sample already? I thought it wasn't until this Friday. That's what I need before actually paying for the album, so hoping someone posts it all on youtube soon!
    The vinyl hasn't been shipped yet. Received shipping confirmation yesterday only on the CD. Street date is Nov 27th. Maybe soon they will freely stream their album just like everyone else does.
  • Options
    Any update when the vinyl will be released?
  • Options
    There is a definite SG feel/sound to it.
    These side project bands are dicing away at Pearl Jam.
    Sounds like someone in the band wants to go back where they came from.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604

Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options

What do you mean, "dicing away"? You disapprove of the side projects?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Pearl Jam is established.
    The side projects are nice but they are distracting a solid Pearl Jam record to be brought forth.
    I almost pulled the trigger on the vinyl presale for ten commandos.
    For what reason? Because the drummer of Pearl Jam is in the band?
    Not a good reason.
    RNDM, good band, some good songs.
    Tres Mtns, good band, some good songs.
    Moonlander......
    Pearl Jam, great band, great songs.
    Pearl Jam is eroding.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    The side projects provide another creative outlet for these artists. It also gives them a chance to grow and experience different musical ideas that would make going back to PJ, less of the same old and more of an exciting continuation of their musical collaboration. I would say that these projects are part of the reason that PJ is still together. The sky is not falling.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    CD just arrived. Sweet!
  • Options
    edited December 2015

PJ_Soul said:

Pearl Jam is established.
    The side projects are nice but they are distracting a solid Pearl Jam record to be brought forth.
    I almost pulled the trigger on the vinyl presale for ten commandos.
    For what reason? Because the drummer of Pearl Jam is in the band?
    Not a good reason.
    RNDM, good band, some good songs.
    Tres Mtns, good band, some good songs.
    Moonlander......
    Pearl Jam, great band, great songs.
    Pearl Jam is eroding.
    That is inevitable. I'm pleasantly surprised that it hasn't fallen apart altogether by now TBH. Apparently the non-PJ work has a role in Pearl Jam even existing after all this time. I know they have all mentioned this at one time or another. Most recently it was Mike who said again that the reason PJ is still together after all this time is because they know how to separate from one another and still be able to get back to work with one another after taking that distance.

I would call RNDM a great band though. ;) And besides the wonderful RNDM, I think a lot of Jeff's side projects are really good. Three Fish, While My Heart Beats, Tone. I think those are excellent.

Mike does a lot, but I don't find any of it really appealing in terms of sitting down and listening. He does one-offs (LOVE Keep On with Star Anna), soundtracks, etc. I'm not really interested. And Flight to Mars blows. I know that's more of a charitable hobby for him, but yikes. Mike rocks, but he hasn't really found anything insanely awesome as a side project yet. But he's got his new little vinyl label, and is always doing the public relations and charity stuff, so no complaints on him for not having more focused side projects. He stretches himself in all kinds of directions. :)

And then Stone... I don't like most of what Brad puts out, although they've got a few really great songs. But I actually really like Moonlander! I think it's super cool, and spin it all the time. One of the best side projects that has come out of PJ in my opinion.

Matt... couldn't really care less that he's with Ten Commandos. I think it's a pretty good album, but more because of Alain Johannes IMO. Then there is Soundgarden... love them, but I don't really think they needed to get back together (aside from the fact that they wanted to of course); their last album was inferior to anything else they've done... maybe the next will be better). Drumgasm was kinda cool, but seemed more like drummers goofing around.

Whatever Eddie does is usually pretty awesome... I like Uke Songs, and of course ITW is great. After that he really just does a bunch of one-offs or duets, plus a rare solo tour but with no official boots, and they're all super good, but there is nothing to really focus on with Eddie. As someone else said, when he's not doing PJ, he more just seems to float around hobnobbing with famous people more than he seems to really be working on music in any really focused way. Although I don't want to forget that he is involved in some charity, and that takes up some of his time I assume.

All in all, the band makes up a pretty deep and rich contribution to the music world in their own ways. I like that. It's better than just 100% focusing on one band forever, even aside from the fact that it probably keeps them sane and together as PJ.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    PJ_Soul said:

Mike does a lot, but I don't find any of it really appealing in terms of sitting down and listening. He does one-offs (LOVE Keep On with Star Anna), soundtracks, etc. I'm not really interested. And Flight to Mars blows. I know that's more of a charitable hobby for him, but yikes. Mike rocks, but he hasn't really found anything insanely awesome as a side project yet. But he's got his new little vinyl label, and is always doing the public relations and charity stuff, so no complaints on him for not having more focused side projects. He stretches himself in all kinds of directions. :)

Mike has some stuff brewing, just wait.
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Pearl Jam is eroding.

I respectfully disagree... remember Mad Season?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    kramer73 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Mike has some stuff brewing, just wait.
    Oh yeah? Interesting! Oh, and I somehow totally forgot about Mad Season. Duh! Obviously that is well worth sitting down and listening to!! The Symphony thing was really cool, and the album is pretty good (last half much better than the first though, IMO). :)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    AO253126 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Pearl Jam is eroding.

I just saw this after posting my last comment. Yes, I somehow completely forgot about Mad Season - shame on me. ;)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    AO253126 said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Pearl Jam is eroding.

and The Rockfords....fucking guitar-riific!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I would suggest not judging this album based on the 1st single, it's pretty dynamic, and in my opinion it's EXCELLENT. I find myself digging the single more with having the context of the entire album there. I'm anxiously awaiting the vinyl to ship out!! No word on shipping dates for those yet?? :/
  • Options
    kramer73 said:

Cool, another Pj side band that I have no interest in.
    Reissues? New music from the band? Waiting........

Unfortunately you'll be waiting for awhile.
    Surprised to read this... I get much more excited about side projects than I would reissues... new music always trumps rehashed older stuff in my mind... but to each his own
  • Options
    edited December 2015

kramer73 said:

Surprised to read this... I get much more excited about side projects than I would reissues... new music always trumps rehashed older stuff in my mind... but to each his own
    I agree, but I also think that reissues should be easy, since all the work besides working out the deal with the manufacturer and sending the files is actually already done, so I see no reason why they can't do reissues and make new music at the same time. No need for a huge stupid boxset that combines two albums (that tactic is actually a complete mystery to me - why do people want two albums combined?). Just reissue the original albums. Keep it simple, stupid. ;)
  • Options
    GlassGhostGlassGhost Posts: 29
    edited December 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

kramer73 said:

I agree, but I also think that reissues should be easy, since all the work besides working out the deal with the manufacturer and sending the files is actually already done, so I see no reason why they can't do reissues and make new music at the same time. No need for a huge stupid boxset that combines two albums (that tactic is actually a complete mystery to me - why do people want two albums combined?). Just reissue the original albums. Keep it simple, stupid. ;)
    True! Yeah I don't know why they're not reissuing original masterings of No Code, Yield, Binaural, and Riot Act on vinyl. I guess maybe there would be legal obstacles with Epic Records? Totally agree about the box set stuff.
    Post edited by GlassGhost on
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    Is there anywhere you can buy an ALAC or FLAC version of the album?
  • Options
    AAJC said:

Is there anywhere you can buy an ALAC or FLAC version of the album?

Can't remember where to buy the whole album via Flac online.

Could of sworn the whole album was up over @ http://www.livedownloads.com/music/0,13090/Ten-Commandos-mp3-flac-download-Staring-Down-the-Dust.html .
  • Options
    stoppler_pjstoppler_pj Montreal, Quebec, Canada Posts: 191
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

really like Moonlander! I think it's super cool, and spin it all the time. One of the best side projects that has come out of PJ in my opinion.
    Moonlander would of been an AMAZING Pearl Jam record.

You are obviously from the sticks if you call it a hoodie! Us sophisticated city folk call it a bunnyhug!
  • Options
    http://rockaxis.com/rock/entrevistas/ten-commandos-sin-nostalgia-de-por-medio

*google translate ..

Ten Commandos: No nostalgia through
    The ambition of a new supergroup

Ten Commandos

Thursday January 7, 2016
    Ten Commandos: No nostalgia through

Four rock super talent, Alain Johannes, Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd Dimitri Coats joined together to conceive the project Ten Commandos, one who lives under the influence of the power of the guitars, but away from the nostalgia of the groups saw be born.

It was where Alain Johannes Instagram announced the release of an album of super quartet composed of musicians from Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Off! and Queens of the Stone Age, and it came out in late November through Monkeywrench label. With regard to the history of the whole and its ambitions, we spoke with Johannes and Cameron.

-Cuéntennos How Ten Commandos formed?
    Matt Cameron: It started with a conversation we had Alain and after the concert in tribute to Natasha Shneider in 2008.
    Alain Johannes: Yes, we got together on stage, sounded great and said, "Why do not we record something together?".
    MC: So emerged included members Ben Shepherd on bass and started working.

When did Dimitri joined the group?
    MC: Dimitri Coats met in 2012 at a show we had in Los Angeles. Then I contacted him through Facebook, since I am a big fan of his band Off! and so we started talking. When he joined the group began writing songs and we brought a lot of energy, which was positive for us.

How was the process of writing and recording, considering that everyone has a busy schedule?
    MC: When Alain and I recently got together to play, he already had some ideas and then we join Ben and other ideas to these models. We do not work as they do other groups. I'm a big fan of Alain and I consider their composition skills are great. At first, we wanted to focus on the draft Alain, but was then an emerging band environment.
    AJ: It was in December when I got together with others, I took my acoustic Gibson and we wrote some riffs. After a few days, and we had 10 models. We had to wait a bit until we all had some time, what happened only last year. It's a new band that was formed recently and is now growing to become something more.

-¿Se Considered a super group?
    MC: I do not know, we think we are super! (Laughs). We do not form in the office of an executive of a record company, just started talking as friends and musicians who come together to create a band, so that was never our intention to call it a "supergroup".
    AJ: We could be a band "super duper" (laughs) or "super group".

They -Invitaron musicians like Mark Lanegan sang his first single, 'Staring Down the Dust' and Nikka Costa. Why are they invited? Does your friendship is the basis of this band?
    AJ: We invite Mark, Nikka and Peter Frampton, who plays one of the songs. Matt said: "I think we should mix everything." He wrote the lyrics, sang, Nikka joined perfectly, Mark sings in "Staring Down the Dust ', etc. Everything has to do with what the song is suggesting.
    MC: I think the main thing was to keep an open approach of the band. We wanted to invite musicians who were our friends and we admire. Luckily, all accepted the invitation.

'In that sense, The Beatles are an influence for you, considering that they had a great ability to write and sing their own songs?
    AJ: I like your point of view, in fact, Dimitri calls us "The Beatles Grunge" (laughs). But, all we compose and sing our songs.
    MC: I really like the groups that form a single creative force, as Queen, where you have four good composers. For example, Roger Taylor composed his songs and then sing on the album that made his records were unique. Today it is very difficult to find bands that all members make up. It was not intended at first, but the process evolved that way.
    AJ: Basically, we are incredible composers (laughs). I think people are not used to asking "Who is singing now?" But that gives flexibility to the disk. People will have to get used to everybody sing.

How would describe the album?
    MC: It's a varied album, with great prominence of the guitars. In short, it is an album of hard rock style that I personally really like, but also very melodic.
    AJ: It's a bit hard to describe, because there are so many feelings involved in the way we play and that makes it heavy, amazing and very cool. Each song is independent. They have to hear to appreciate. We promote much because I'm proud of this record.
    MC: I think we all are, be a group that will record more in the future.

Are you going to play the songs live?
    MC: We're doing one thing at a time because each will be on tour and personally, will be held next year. We must still resolve some issues, but we will leave to play the disc in the future.
    AJ: Of course, we want to take our music everywhere. We can not do it, but it will be time.

Do they have some kind of expectations do you have for the future or are together only by the art of making music?
    MC: Our emphasis is the love we feel for music. We do not try to fit in the current rock scene, just do what we like and what comes naturally.
    AJ: Yes, I agree. This record only reflects the love we feel for music.

-You Have different projects and bands that are currently in full swing. Do you think that musicians should try to do several things at once to find new challenges and experience?
    MC: I think it's important for us as musicians to keep learning, working with others, playing new styles. There is much to learn, so music always approached in that light.
    AJ: It's a process. I feel very fortunate to be part of this musical community is like a family. We have long formed part of the scene and a lot can happen. Through chemistry we form with Dimitri, Ben, Matt, Nikka or Peter, we can always create new music and hopefully we can do so in the future.

• Options
    His first single was released in Spotify, a platform that has been criticized by some musicians because so much money is not won with this form of distribution. What is your opinion? Do you think Spotify is a good way for people to learn more music?
    MC: When we launched the single by Monkey Wrench, we decided it should be distributed in a streaming service. Unfortunately, composers did not receive a lot of money even if we distribute material that way, but I think this technology will help our music to reach more people. It is a difficult choice for musicians and composers, and that puts us in a position where we must accept this technology, but there are still certain issues that are not resolved. We must accept it, but there are certain gaps still to be filled. I'm older and I used to buy music cassettes, I do not want to sound like an old-fashioned kind, but so is technology, we can not stop it.
    AJ: Another aspect that concerns me is the sound quality, because sometimes you find recordings on YouTube you hear very bad and not the same as listening in formats like vinyl. When you make a record, you worry that the quality is the best.

- What was the last CD you bought? Have you recently visited stores disks?
    MC: Yes, I was recently in New York and went to my favorite record store, Other Music, and bought some, one is called "Rim Arrives", a drummer Afro-pop of the seventies, which was released in 1977 and now reissued, it is phenomenal. The second is Captain Beefheart, "Full Moon - Hot Sun Live in Kansas" of 1974 and the third is from the soundtrack of "Fitzcarraldo" that made Popol Vuh. And I hear much kraut rock whenever I can.
    AJ: I bought a compilation of Sly & the Family Stone, Eric Dolphy on vinyl, I love that format.

-¿Creen People who are attracted by the music of the nineties is interested in your project because you are musicians of that generation?
    AJ: Obviously, those who follow us a couple of decades fans will be interested in this project, but the band does not try to represent this nostalgia because it's a fresh new sound that can see and hear. I think we will attract those fans of yesteryear, but also a new audience with this work.
    MC: I think people who followed our bands in the nineties will not disappoint. Although the sound is loaded on guitars, there is a grunge album.
  • Options
    jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    Does anyone remember around when the vinyl went up for presale with the TBA release date? It must have been in the pressing pipeline for at least a month or two at that time. Add 4 months or so and that's when they ship? According to the 6 months out vinyl pressing theory.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Vinyl would sound good right about now
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    I actually downloaded off iTunes with a gift card I got for Xmas, but I like to listen to it on vinyl 1st dammit!!!!
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    So what's the verdict, how is this album?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm probably gonna cave and check it out this weekend