Options

PJ on Colbert Sept. 23rd

1235»

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    So fucking awesome. I m so pumped for Saturday
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Funny how sometimes you don't see PJ for awhile and maybe put them on the back burner for a bit during their "down" time and then they remind you how fucking amazing they are!! Just watching that I have an adrenaline rush! They're ability to command a room and turn any venue small or big into an experience is what makes them one of the GOAT!!! To those who were there great job as a crowd!! And to those going this wknd...rock your fucking faces off!!! Those like me who can't go will be channeling your energy...enjoy and makes us proud!!!
  • Options
    Oh also thanks to cifrancgx for posting the vids. I recorded it but what a disappointment when RITFW gets cut off.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I've never really like MYM but I have to say that's an excellent version.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,890
    Suziemay said:

It was unbelievable.

Sprunkn7 said:

RS151862 said:

soxjam said:

According to setlist.fm they played mind your manners and rockin' with colbert

That's disappointing.
    Not disappointing for the people that were there..it was OUTSTANDING!!!
    Absolutely!!!!
    On paper, it may seem disappointing. In person, it was un-freaking-believable and I wouldn't change a thing.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    StoneyCreekerStoneyCreeker Stoney Creek, Ontario Posts: 89
    so glad I forced myself to stay up for it - awesome show
    thought for a moment network wasn't going to cut RINFW and broadcast whole song since Colbert was rocking out
    2000 - 10/05 Toronto, ACC
    2006 - 05/10 Toronto, ACC
    2011 - 09/12 Toronto, ACC
    2013 - 07/16 London, Budweiser Gardens, 10/12 Buffalo, First Niagara Centre
    2015 - 09/15 Hamilton, Copps Coliseum 
    2016 - 05/08 Ottawa, Cdn Tire Centre, 05/10 Toronto, ACC

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    i DVRed it and planning to watch during my lunch break
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

Suziemay said:

It was unbelievable.

Sprunkn7 said:

RS151862 said:

soxjam said:

According to setlist.fm they played mind your manners and rockin' with colbert

That's disappointing.
    Not disappointing for the people that were there..it was OUTSTANDING!!!
    Absolutely!!!!
    On paper, it may seem disappointing. In person, it was un-freaking-believable and I wouldn't change a thing.
    Yep. At the taping, Colbert actually mentions that Pearl Jam was going to play Mind Your Manners during his monologue (this didn't air). First I was like, thanks for spoiling it, dude!! And then I was like, MYM? Why? And then from the moment they pulled out the 3 extra chairs to bringing out the band's gear to MYM and RITFW... perfect. Just perfect. Would not change a thing.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    New xmas single?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Have to ask. Who the fuck is thinking about posters and hats now?! Hahaha!! Fuckers!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Lightning Bolt

Have to ask. Who the fuck is thinking about posters and hats now?! Hahaha!! Fuckers!

:lol::clap:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    JM16768 said:

Funny how sometimes you don't see PJ for awhile and maybe put them on the back burner for a bit during their "down" time and then they remind you how fucking amazing they are!! Just watching that I have an adrenaline rush! They're ability to command a room and turn any venue small or big into an experience is what makes them one of the GOAT!!! To those who were there great job as a crowd!! And to those going this wknd...rock your fucking faces off!!! Those like me who can't go will be channeling your energy...enjoy and makes us proud!!!

spot on. agree 100%. it was a rush seeing them last night. not going Saturday but can't wait to watch it on TV now.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Sirens
    A lot of people, apparently
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    edited September 2015
    Didn't see it and wasn't too impressed when I saw what they played this morning but I'll check out the vids. Hope they did something different or new, otherwise it seems pretty un exciting tbh

Edit- just read the other thread, sounds like they did a great job! Good deal, hope all who were there loved it!!
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    schappschapp Posts: 160

Didn't see it and wasn't too impressed when I saw what they played this morning but I'll check out the vids. Hope they did something different or new, otherwise it seems pretty un exciting tbh

... unless you were there in an intimate venue with your favorite band and other true fans shouting their lungs out less than 10 feet away from stage, while watching the host of the show and his staff all pumped out, realizing this was a special one. :) I have yet to see how that translated to the screen as I didn't watch the complete show last night... but live, just awesome!!

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,149
    schapp said:

... unless you were there in an intimate venue with your favorite band and other true fans shouting their lungs out less than 10 feet away from stage, while watching the host of the show and his staff all pumped out, realizing this was a special one. :) I have yet to see how that translated to the screen as I didn't watch the complete show last night... but live, just awesome!!

I edited my post above- setlist look lame on paper but it seems like they killed it. Seems like people really liked it! I saw their acl taping a few years back so I know all about a small venue. Glad you enjoyed yourself, seems like they did a good job.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    schapp said:

I've received a few reports that it totally came through on screen :) I think anyone who was there is automatically biased, like me.
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    Suziemay said:

schapp said:

I've received a few reports that it totally came through on screen :) I think anyone who was there is automatically biased, like me.
    I'm not sure how you can accurately convey how the atmosphere went from a regular run of the mill taping for a talk show into what, for at least 10 minutes anyway, felt like the world's smallest and shortest PJ show, featuring Stephen Colbert. The commercial breaks and editing are just inherently going to lose a lot of it, but that is basically what it was. After MYM the energy just level kept rising and rising, and for a few minutes it was basically exactly where it is midshow for every other show they play. Very hard to really convey what it was like in the place for those few minutes unless you were there. I think if I ever saw them play a full set in that environment they would have to take me out in a stretcher.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    schapp said:

I love this man, and I am not afraid to say it!
    :)
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I thought it was a bang-up job for sure.

Different mix with MYM. They definitely had EV's mic turned down a bit more than usual and you got blasted a lot more with the riff. Then at the beginning of RITFW, EV was gesturing for them to turn his mic up.

Colbert is an interesting host. I think he will find his groove... but right now he appears a bit stiff and awkward.
  • Options
    Saltzy23 said:

Suziemay said:

schapp said:

I'm not sure how you can accurately convey how the atmosphere went from a regular run of the mill taping for a talk show into what, for at least 10 minutes anyway, felt like the world's smallest and shortest PJ show, featuring Stephen Colbert. The commercial breaks and editing are just inherently going to lose a lot of it, but that is basically what it was. After MYM the energy just level kept rising and rising, and for a few minutes it was basically exactly where it is midshow for every other show they play. Very hard to really convey what it was like in the place for those few minutes unless you were there. I think if I ever saw them play a full set in that environment they would have to take me out in a stretcher.
    Shhh, don't make people who weren't able to make it cry even more ;)
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Sirens
    Saltzy23 said:

Suziemay said:

schapp said:

+1
    I don't remember if I said this here already or not, but the broadcast didn't reflect the crowd's energy and volume. In MYM Ed called for the audience to take the second "Mind Your Manners!" and we did - it was loud, clear, moreso even than at the shows I went to last year. It didn't really come through on the broadcast but you can see his facial expression, that he got the response he wanted.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,836
    Lightning Bolt
    I agree Ed definately had that look last night. Loved when he jumped on the audience chairs and ran up a few rows to greet some of us.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    MayDay10 said:

I thought it was a bang-up job for sure.

Different mix with MYM. They definitely had EV's mic turned down a bit more than usual and you got blasted a lot more with the riff. Then at the beginning of RITFW, EV was gesturing for them to turn his mic up.

Colbert is an interesting host. I think he will find his groove... but right now he appears a bit stiff and awkward.

It was his monitors. Not his Microphone
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Great performance !!! Best band in the world !!! :rock_on:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,610
    Mind Your Manners
    Just watched - sweet, MYM! :) My favorite song from the album, and they rocked it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited September 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

So fucking awesome. I m so pumped for Saturday

I was not interested in GCF until last night . . . now I'm crying like a baby about finding a ticket!!!!
    Anyone, please, if you come across an extra, think about how cool it would be to give it to me :-).
    What a dream it would be!