Options

Good to know public gets releases b4 us!!

DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
got my UPS tracking email 2 days ago for Live at the Moore and as usual it's sitting somewhere. should get it by next Friday....or not
in the last few years I've never received a preorder record on release date or gasp! early?
we're 10 Club's bread and butter and
I don't mind waiting but this gets old.
U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013

Comments

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    Where is it released to? I'm being honest, I have no idea but I assume you're waiting on a physical object, a CD? Or LP? Is the release a download?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    The thing is I know it takes forever to get something if I buy it from the 10c. They use ups innovations which seems to be one of the worst/slowest methods of shipping something both domestically and foreign. 10c usually ships things on release day if your lucky :)

It's 100% predictable. It's why you find a lot of people asking Santos if releases will be available at retail. I usually buy from the 10c if its exclusive or try to buy it amazon/local store if it's retail. 10c is pretty consistent, so you know what you're getting when you place the order... it's not a surprise or anything.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    edited August 2015
    34.99 and free shipping on Amazon Prime for the vinyl.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

yeah that's total bullshit.
    I can guarantee no other fan club would allow Amazon a cheaper price than it's members. then again being a member in Seattle, Amazon is based here.
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    Hey now, I remember back in 06 I got the self titled cd in the mail one day before retail release, and a lot got it 2 days before. So that counts for something...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj said:

Hey now, I remember back in 06 I got the self titled cd in the mail one day before retail release, and a lot got it 2 days before. So that counts for something...

I was gonna mention that. it was 9 years ago though...
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    a5pj said:

Shipping was probably $1 too lol. Ahh the good old days.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    those preorders were CDs.
    CD production is way cheaper than vinyl...
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I got my preorder cd from the 10c 3 days before release date

Just saying
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604

mrussel1 said:

I can guarantee no other fan club would allow Amazon a cheaper price than it's members. then again being a member in Seattle, Amazon is based here.
    The fan club isn't responsible for prices of anything.
  • Options
    yes they are you dumbass!
    they set membership renewal dues, "UPS Mail Innovations" shipping (which sucks as I stated) and most of all the endless merchandise!
    that's probably the stupidest statement I've ever read about 10 club.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Ooh! Can I be a dumbass, too?

I'm sure I've earned the insult at one time or another.

But if not, I'll just say that it's pretty common for Amazon's prices to be cheaper. Its market cap alone allows it to digest those smaller margins more than a band's fan club.

Does that make me a dumbass yet?

If not, how about a suggestion? If you're miserable being an elite member of the 10 Club, try being a member of the public. You might be happier if you get those records to which you are so surely entitled a few days sooner at a record store.

I don't know you, though. Maybe you're happiest when having something complain about.

OK. Now I feel like a dumbass.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited August 2015

mrussel1 said:

This happens all the time. Amazon can out-price just about any fan club. Not sure how you think this would be 10C's fault. Also curious to know what all these fan clubs you know where their albums are cheaper than Amazon.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

This happens all the time. Amazon can out-price just about any fan club. Not sure how you think this would be 10C's fault. Also curious to know what all these fan clubs you know where their albums are cheaper than Amazon.
    Actually, Amazon can not out-price any fan club. Setting a UMRP (Unilateral Manufacturer's Retail Price - a stricter version of MAP, or Minimum Advertised Price) would allow Ten Club to enforce a 'bottom' price, no matter the retailer, and would be within their rights to cancel POs with any guilty retailer. In fact, a UMRP can also be used to enforce a highest price - so that if the band wanted to ensure record stores don't gouge their customers on a Ten Club release by marking it up exorbitantly, they could.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

Actually, Amazon can not out-price any fan club. Setting a UMRP (Unilateral Manufacturer's Retail Price - a stricter version of MAP, or Minimum Advertised Price) would allow Ten Club to enforce a 'bottom' price, no matter the retailer, and would be within their rights to cancel POs with any guilty retailer. In fact, a UMRP can also be used to enforce a highest price - so that if the band wanted to ensure record stores don't gouge their customers on a Ten Club release by marking it up exorbitantly, they could.

Then why is stuff on Amazon so often cheaper? I believe what you're saying, but either the fan clubs just don't care (I think this is most likely), or Amazon has a way of getting around it. I know that I have bought cheaper on Amazon.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

I haven't seen UMRP applied to any media yet -- media players, yes; actual media, no.

Wonder if this will happen at some point, though.

One problem is that it's been pretty toothless from a legal standpoint with higher-ticket items, so I don't imagine it would even be worth the ink for a CD, book, Blu-ray or record.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited August 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

Then why is stuff on Amazon so often cheaper? I believe what you're saying, but either the fan clubs just don't care, or Amazon has a way of getting around it. I know that I have bought cheaper on Amazon.
    To be honest - it could be either one of those, and my guess is it's both. The more power a dealer has, the less it fears the ramifications of breaking regulations imposed by its vendors.

A vendor is fully within its rights to enforce a UMRP and/or MAP, but when you think about what the penalties might include - it would probably be to have future purchase orders limited by the vendor (i.e. Ten Club to stop selling through Amazon). For limited releases, that's a bummer for the dealer (Amazon) who has more freedom to generate profit because demand exceeds supply, but for commodity releases (where greater volume negates the lower margins they are willing to accept), that ends up hurting the vendor more than Amazon, as they miss out on Amazon's enormous reach, and would end up with less overall sales typically.

Pearl Jam Inc. clearly feel that their optimal position is to have a happy blend of collectibles and commodities, in order to encourage collectors to keep collecting, and to give entrance to that collecting habit for casual fans. Sort of like flooding the market by distributing copious quantities of pedestrian cocaine to all drug dealers in the city to give new customers a taste of the drug, then when that batch runs dry, letting the addiction fuel the higher margins on the more limited (and presumably but not actually higher quality) batch you bring in and distribute next time around.

Really, the similarities are uncanny! Does anyone else get the aches and shakes without new vinyl?
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    yeah, i don't really the big deal. with wide released media, Amazon is gonna be cheaper than 10C 9 out of 10 times, but thats including shipping and everything.

is it nice to support the actual fan club? yeah.
    is amazon usually cheaper than 10C? yeah.
    does the music sound different whether you order from Amazon or 10C? no.

easy choice at that point.

regardless of fan club or not, I've seen MANY vinyl releases be cheaper than the releases directly from the band website and/or label website.

that's economics people
    2006/05/25 - Boston
    2008/06/30 - Mansfield
    2009/10/31 - Philadelphia
    2010/05/17 - Boston
    2011/06/15 - Providence (Eddie Vedder)
    2012/09/02 - Made in America
    2013/10/17 - Worcester
    2013/10/25 - Hartford
    2015/09/26 - Global Citizen Festival
    2016/08/05 - Fenway
    2016/08/07 - Fenway
  • Options
    benjs said:

Does anyone else get the aches and shakes without new vinyl?

:lol: I guess you might say that! I definitely get a fairly disturbing kind of pleasure-jolt when I buy new vinyl, and really do feel antsy when I go too long without acquiring some. I don't get the DTs or anything, but there is definitely some kind of mental withdrawal going on, so relating it to addiction might be pretty apt. Thank god the big difference is that there is a really psychologically healthy side-effect to the drug (music!), so I don't have to feel bad about it, haha.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

Does anyone else get the aches and shakes without new vinyl?

:lol: I guess you might say that! I definitely get a fairly disturbing kind of pleasure-jolt when I buy new vinyl, and really do feel antsy when I go too long without acquiring some. I don't get the DTs or anything, but there is definitely some kind of mental withdrawal going on, so relating it to addiction might be pretty apt. Thank god the big difference is that there is a really psychologically healthy side-effect to the drug (music!), so I don't have to feel bad about it, haha.
    I had a hard time restraining myself at the flea market yesterday.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I would think that management would be responsible for pricing merchandise, but what would I know.
  • Options
    dankind said:

Ooh! Can I be a dumbass, too?

I'm sure I've earned the insult at one time or another.

But if not, I'll just say that it's pretty common for Amazon's prices to be cheaper. Its market cap alone allows it to digest those smaller margins more than a band's fan club.

Does that make me a dumbass yet?

If not, how about a suggestion? If you're miserable being an elite member of the 10 Club, try being a member of the public. You might be happier if you get those records to which you are so surely entitled a few days sooner at a record store.

I don't know you, though. Maybe you're happiest when having something complain about.

OK. Now I feel like a dumbass.

that's my point. we're not elite members. we pay annual membership but it's subpar compared to Metallica, Dave Matthews Band and other fanclubs.
    many other members I've talked w/ in Seattle don't know why we can't just pick up our orders at the warehouse.
    UPS mail innovations is terrible. i.e. in 2013, Vault #3 went all the way to Arizona then back here and took a week....
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I had a package go from the 10C warehouse, down to California, over to Arizona, and finally crossed the border back in Washington to get to me in Vancouver. What. The. Fuck. That doesn't seem like a good way to be environmentally responsible to me! I guess it technically is a very "innovative" way to ship stuff though.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I had a package go from the 10C warehouse, down to California, over to Arizona, and finally crossed the border back in Washington to get to me in Vancouver. What. The. Fuck. That doesn't seem like a good way to be environmentally responsible to me! I guess it technically is a very "innovative" way to ship stuff though.

agreed! 10 Club could easily set up a Amazonish locker pick up for members in the NW. we may be spoiled here w/ rare shows but ultimately we pay for it w/ shipping costs & taxes...
  • Options

yes they are you dumbass!
    they set membership renewal dues, "UPS Mail Innovations" shipping (which sucks as I stated) and most of all the endless merchandise!
    that's probably the stupidest statement I've ever read about 10 club.

I also hope you got an email from the 10 club for your colorful language.
  • Options
    what are you a higher moral authority?
    religious? like to dictate what I how can and cannot speak my mind or the words I use?...liberal lowlife
  • Options

what are you a higher moral authority?
    religious? like to dictate what I how can and cannot speak my mind or the words I use?...liberal lowlife

Thank you.
  • Options
    OP
    The beef of your thread is that the waiting drives you mad?